[TheClimate.Vote] April 24, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Apr 24 10:17:58 EDT 2019

/April 24, 2019/

[Greta Interview starts 13 mins in]
*Greta Thunberg, Anna Taylor and Caroline Lucas on the new climate
movement | Guardian Live*
Guardian Supporters - Published on Apr 23, 2019
The 16-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg and Anna Taylor
from the UK Student Climate Network join the Green party MP, Caroline
Lucas, and the Guardian's Zoe Williams to discuss how to address the
climate crisis and where to go from here for Guardian Live
https://youtu.be/ZyY8yarwI5g

[Scientists warn of money loss]
*Arctic warming will accelerate climate change and impact global economy*
Carbon released into the atmosphere by the increasing loss of Arctic
permafrost, combined with higher solar absorption by the Earth's surface
due to the melting of sea ice and land snow, will accelerate climate
change--and have a multi-trillion dollar impact on the world economy...
https://phys.org/news/2019-04-arctic-climate-impact-global-economy.html

[video report 12 years after - updating Stupid]
*The Age of Stupid revisited: what's changed on climate change?*
The Guardian - Published on Mar 15, 2019
Ten years after climate movie The Age of Stupid had its green-carpet,
solar-powered premiere, we follow its director as she revisits people
and places from the film and asks: are we still heading for the
catastrophic future it depicted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqHKYwxEIRA

[Many have known for years]
*Rupert Read, "Everyone knows our democracy is broken..." - Politics
Live - Extinction Rebellion*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcBZxqiqVfE

[Excellent news overview]
*The challenge of policing a peaceful protest | Sunday Times News*
The Times and The Sunday Times
Published on Apr 21, 2019
How the police have reacted to Extinction Rebellion's demonstrations,
which have gridlocked London
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4_PA35YAV0
- - -
[International news attention]*
**Extinction Rebellion: Police move in on London protesters*
Hundreds of police officers have closed in on Extinction Rebellion
protesters in central London as demonstrations entered a fifth day.
Officers surrounded a pink boat in Oxford Circus as actress Dame Emma
Thompson told activists her generation had "failed young people".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZwwxYvJt7Y
- - -
[XR, Indigenous Peoples]
*Daiara Tukano from the Amazon meets Extinction Rebellion at Oxford Circus*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg9hJTrrKvE
- - -
[Extinction Rebellion TV a minute and a half]
*Extinction Rebellion spokesperson Dr. Rupert Read sets Government
Minister straight, live on-air*
Rupert Read - Published on Apr 23, 2019
Rupert Read schools Conservative Minister on looking systemically at
tackling dangerous human-triggered climate change (rather than on
blaming individuals) and on telling the truth about Britain's record on
climate (which is way less good than the Government and the Climate
Change Committee like to pretend it is).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnCEY7v6Nr8
- -
[Rupert Read rants]
*Extinction Rebellion's Rupert Read goes head-to-head with Jacob Rees-Mogg*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qD4AS7bpDk
- -
*Extinction Rebellion Coordinator Outlines Our Demands to the Government
on "Good Morning Britain"*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roe-ptTIBeU
- - -
*Gail Bradbrook, "We will rise up because we love our children..." Sky
News - Extinction Rebellion*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvFW6UWKNPM
- - -
[Just view the XR news channel]
*ExtinctionRebellion*
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYThdLKE6TDwBJh-qDC6ICA
- - -
[The Guardian summarizes nicely]
*Extinction Rebellion ​'shutdown' London*
The Guardian - Published on Apr 17, 2019
As thousands of protesters use roadblocks and glue to paralyse parts of
central London, the Guardian's Bruno Rinvolucri finds out how the public
and the police are reacting to the disruption. Demonstrators have taken
part in civil disobedience protests, blockading four landmarks in the
capital in an attempt to force the government to take action on the
escalating climate crisis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6xT62MZrRM

[Authentic Aussie anger]
*Our leaders are ignoring global warming to the point of criminal
negligence. It's unforgivable**
*Tim Winton
Humanity survived the cold war because no one pushed the button. On
climate change, the button has been pushed again and again
- - -
Australians can make a bad outcome inexorable by submitting to it
meekly. Or we can fight for a viable future and meet this crisis
shoulder to shoulder. I am of the passionate belief that we can and
will. But to do this we'll need to get our house in order - and fast.
That means calling bullshit on what's been happening in our name for the
past 15 years.

It's time to make sharp demands of our representatives, time to remove
those who refuse to act in our common interest, time to elect people
with courage, ingenuity and discipline, people who'll sacrifice pride,
privilege and even perks for the sake of something sacred. Because
there's something bigger at stake here than culture wars and the
mediocrity of so-called common-sense. It's the soil under our feet, the
water we drink, the air we breathe.

Life. It's worth the fight. But, by God, after decades of appeasement,
defeatism and denialism, it's going to take a fight. Time's short. So,
let's give our grief and fury some shape and purpose and reclaim our
future together. Enough cowardice. Enough bullshit. Time for action.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/20/our-leaders-are-ignoring-global-warming-to-the-point-of-criminal-negligence-its-unforgivable

[change, adapt, mitigate]
*These Scientists Are Radically Changing How They Live To Cope With
Climate Change*
When the US government is doing nothing to stop climate change, do your
personal choices even matter? Here's how climate scientists are -- and
aren't -- changing their lives...
- - -
"Individual actions are not really the solution, but there's no reason
that you should unnecessarily pollute the atmosphere."...
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zahrahirji/scientists-climate-change-action

[Silent data display map]
*NASA Blue Ocean Event: Will 2019 Be The Year?*
GlobalClimateNews - Published on Apr 23, 2019
2012 had the smallest ice sheet in recorded history, will 2019 be the
first ice-free summer? The trend does seem to suggest we will come close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNyRikWiKmg

[2014 Whitehouse science video - nicely distilled message is still valid]
*Climate Change & Wildfires Explained in Less Than Three Minutes*
The Obama White House
Published on Aug 5, 2014
President Obama's Science Advisor, Dr. John Holdren, explains in less
than three minutes how the growing number of intense wildfires are
linked in part, to climate change. Learn more at
http://wh.gov/climate-change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDsNq-rVplE

[Science videos - Paul Beckwith]
*Abrupt Climate System Risks from Hydrogen Sulphide Ocean Outgassing:
Part 1 of 2*
Paul Beckwith
Published on Apr 22, 2019
Various ocean coastlines, off Africa, Gulf of Mexico, California, and
India have periodic emissions of hydrogen sulphide gas. Concentrations
less than 1 ppm smell like rotten eggs, while 500 ppm and higher levels
are deadly. Warming, stratifying oceans have more anoxic dead zones
(lack oxygen, produce methane, H2S), threats to flora and fauna
increases. In the "granddaddy of extinctions" 252 million years ago with
over 80% death-rates of many species, a so-called Canfield Ocean was the
smoking gun. I discuss present-day incidents/locations of H2S emissions,
and discuss future risks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL2f_pxUPc4
*Abrupt Climate System Change Risks from Ocean Outgassing of Hydrogen
Sulphide: Part 2 of 2*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfksK3lyKWM

*Oops. Arctic Emissions of Nitrous Oxide GHG a Dozen Times Worse Than
Expected. Duh. Part 2 of 2*
Paul Beckwith
Published on Apr 20, 2019
Surprise... Nitrous oxide emissions from our rapidly warming north are
up to 12-times higher than we previously thought, since thawing Arctic
permafrost is a huge source. The problem is: 1)the top 3 meters of
permafrost contains 73 billion tons of nitrogen; 2)as it thaws microbial
action releases bucket loads of N2O; and 3)N2O is a very powerful
Greenhouse Gas, with a Global Warming Potential about 300 times that of
CO2 (lifetime in atmosphere of 114 years). In my last video I chatted
about what this all means; here I show the science in plots and images
from the paper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PolsVbyzvY

[obit - Polly Higgins - legal activist - age 50 ]
*Polly Higgins*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polly_Higgins
- -
***Democracy Now on the death of Polly Higgins*
https://youtu.be/vo7cHBGTJ9w?t=566

*This Day in Climate History - April 24, 2007 - from D.R. Tucker*
April 24, 2007: PBS airs "Hot Politics," a "Frontline" special about the
extensive efforts of the fossil fuel lobby to frustrate efforts to
combat carbon pollution.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/hotpolitics/
http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2007/04/26/hot-politicspbs-frontline-program-and-extended-interviews-online/
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/hotpolitics/interviews/