[TheClimate.Vote] August 4, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Aug 4 08:38:03 EDT 2019

/August 4, 2019/

[CBSNews video report on Siberian fires - ]
*Massive Siberia wildfires pose potential threat to climate worldwide*
CBS News
Published on Aug 2, 2019
Forest fires tearing through Siberia have experts worried about the
potential long-term impacts on the planet. CBS News contributing
meteorologist Jeff Berardelli joined "CBSN AM" with how the fires could
increase the melting of the Arctic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g18NPYZccjk
- - -
[more video report from CBS Climate Watch]
*Climate Watch: Arctic to be hit by record-breaking heat wave from Europe*
CBS News
Published on Jul 29, 2019
Record heat seen in parts of Europe last week is expected to move
farther north this week. The United Nations says the rising heat could
cause record melting of the world's second largest ice sheet in
Greenland.  Andrew Light, co-author of the 2018 National Climate
Assessment and distinguished senior fellow at the World Resources
Institute,  joined CBSN AM with more on the global impact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UE6Uffy4gM
- -
[Another great CBS News report that few will see]
*Greenland experiences severe ice melting*
CBS News
Published on Jun 18, 2019
Nearly half of Greenland's ice sheet began melting this week after an
unprecedented warm spell hit the Arctic region. Temperatures climbed
more than 40 degrees above average, causing an estimated 2 billion tons
of ice loss. Ted Scambos, senior research scientist at the University of
Colorado at Boulder's Earth Science Observation Center, joined CBSN to
discuss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFuMVoqZXr0

[snips from NYTimes report]
*Climate Could Be an Electoral Time Bomb, Republican Strategists Fear*
In conversations with 10 G.O.P. analysts, consultants and activists, all
said they were acutely aware of the rising influence of young voters
like Mr. Galloway, who in their lifetimes haven't seen a single month of
colder-than-average temperatures globally, and who call climate change a
top priority. Those strategists said lawmakers were aware, too, but few
were taking action.
- -
"Americans believe climate change is real, and that number goes up every
single month," Frank Luntz, a veteran Republican strategist, told a
Congressional panel recently. He also circulated a memo to congressional
Republicans in June warning that climate change was "a G.O.P.
vulnerability and a G.O.P. opportunity."
- - -
"Here's another gap between our party and younger voters," said a recent
report by a Republican polling firm, Public Opinion Strategies. Speaking
of younger Republicans, the firm concluded that "climate change is their
most important issue" and called the numbers "concerning" for the
party's future.

The full effect quite likely will not be felt until after the 2020
election cycle. President Trump's campaign appears to have identified a
strategy for winning re-election that relies on polarizing the
electorate on issues like race, immigration and, it seems, climate
change. But conservatives said the long term implications of that gambit
were worrisome for the future of the party and the planet.
- - -
"You can be skeptical of climate change all you want, but young people
aren't, and there's no way conservatives are going to win elections if
we don't deal with climate change," said Benjamin Backer, 21, the
coalition's founder and president.
- - -
"Republican orthodoxy is changing," Mr. Flint said. "You're safe saying
you acknowledge climate change."

He said climate change is hardly a top-tier topic among even moderate
Republicans. But he noted it is a key differential issue in swing
districts that can either help a candidate win young, college educated
and female voters, or lose them.

"It's a matter of honesty," he said. "Voters believe it is happening, at
the very least, they want their politicians to acknowledge reality."

Scott Jennings, a Republican consultant and a former campaign adviser to
Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, said 2020 candidates in different
states would take various approaches to climate change, but he predicted
that most would focus on simply attacking Democrats and the Green New Deal.

Still, he said, "Someday Republicans are going to have to come up with
some proposals that are responsive to these issues and, frankly, be more
reasonable and more thoughtful."
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/02/climate/climate-change-republicans.html

[video tweet]
*This is a roaring glacial melt, under the bridge to Kangerlussiauq, *
Greenland  where it's 22C today and Danish officials say 12 billions tons
of ice melted in 24 hours, yesterday.
https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/1157015875276464129

[video CBSNews recent]
*A climate reckoning in the heartland*
CBS News
Published on Jul 26, 2019
"A historic flood in March 2019 left much of America's heartland under
water. Partiularly hard-hit were Midwestern grain farmers, and climate
experts say storms of increasing intensity could be the new normal. An
industry already struggling to bounce back from the Chinese trade war
must now grapple with the realities of climate change that threaten to
change the future of farming forever. Now, some farmers are hoping they
can be part of the the solution, by implementing practices that could
potentially reverse the effects of climate change – and provide a bigger
profit. In this CBSN Originals documentary, Adam Yamaguchi travels to
Nebraska, where he meets two farmers on different paths, both determined
to pass their legacies on to the next generation.
CBSN Originals is our premium documentary series that is sure to
challenge your views on this and a variety of other issues. See our full
series library at http://cbsnews.com/cbsnoriginals."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLeu3qc7fI

[Arctic is key to understanding - video talks]
*Blue Ocean Event (BOE) Consequences: Key Points to Know*
Paul Beckwith
Published on Aug 3, 2019
- complete loss of Arctic Sea-Ice has global equivalent heating 0.71
W/m2 relative to 1979 if cloud fraction unchanged (by 2016, we'd already
had 0.21 W/m2)
- if cloud fraction changed to 0% (clear sky) global equivalent heating
is 3 times higher; if cloud coverage changed to 100% (complete coverage)
global equivalent heating is 2 times lower
- since Arctic region is about 1/30 of globe surface area, 0.71 W/m2
globally is actually 21.3 W/m2 of heating concentrated in Arctic
- 0.71 W/m2 global heating equivalent would correspond to 1 Trillion
tons of CO2 emissions (25 years of present day emissions) or 56.7 ppm
- I expect BOE by 2022 or so; risk higher each year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhquFHITt8Y
- - -
[continued lecture]
*Arctic Blue Ocean Event (BOE) Key Points to Know (continued)*
Paul Beckwith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6jhrIRp6Hs

[Humor - see the cartoon and save a penguins]
*If you act now you can maybe avoid the worst of climate change. But you
know you're not going to*
First Dog on the Moon
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/02/if-you-act-now-you-can-maybe-avoid-the-worst-of-climate-change-but-you-know-youre-not-going-to

*This Day in Climate History - August 4, 2002 - from D.R. Tucker*
August 4, 2002: In a New York Times op-ed, Al Gore notes:

    "I believe Bill Clinton and I were right to maintain, during our
    1992 campaign, that we should fight for 'the forgotten middle class'
    against the 'forces of greed.' Standing up for 'the people, not the
    powerful' was the right choice in 2000. And, in fact, it is the
    Democratic Party's meaning and mission. The suggestion from some in
    our party that we should no longer speak that truth, especially at a
    time like this, strikes me as bad politics and, worse, wrong in
    principle.

    "This struggle between the people and the powerful was at the heart
    of every major domestic issue of the 2000 campaign and is still the
    central dynamic of politics in 2002. The choice, not just in
    rhetoric but in reality, was and still is between a genuine
    prescription drug benefit for all seniors under Medicare -- or a
    token plan designed to trick the voters and satisfy pharmaceutical
    companies. The White House and its allies in Congress have just
    defeated legislation that would have fulfilled the promises both
    parties made in 2000.

    "The choice was and still is between a real patients' bill of rights
    -- or doing the bidding of the insurance companies and health
    maintenance organizations. Here again: promise made, promise broken.
    The choice was and still is an environmental policy based on
    conservation, new technologies, alternative fuels and the protection
    of natural wonders like the Alaskan wilderness -- or walking away
    from the grave challenge of global warming, doing away with
    Superfund cleanups and giving in on issue after issue to those who
    profit from pollution."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/04/opinion/broken-promises-and-political-deception.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm