[TheClimate.Vote] August 22 , 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Aug 22 09:14:38 EDT 2019

/August 22, 2019/

[changes]
*Gov. Jay Inslee, Who Ran On Climate Change, Withdraws From Presidential
Race*
August 21, 2019
AMITA KELLY
Democratic presidential candidate Jay Inslee announced Wednesday that he
is withdrawing from the race.

"It's become clear that I'm not going be carrying the ball, I'm not
going to be the president, so I'm withdrawing tonight from the race,"
the Washington governor said on MSNBC's The Rachel Maddow Show.

Inslee made climate change a top issue as a candidate. He proposed a
10-year action plan to, according to his campaign website, "achieve 100%
clean electricity, 100% zero-emission new vehicles and 100% zero-carbon
new buildings."

"[Climate change] does call for a president to make this Job 1, because
if it is not Job 1, it won't get done," Inslee told NPR in March. "We
have to understand if we don't solve the climate crisis, it will prevent
us from dealing with all of our other hopes and challenges."

But despite his focus on the issue, he didn't qualify for CNN town hall
on climate next month and hadn't qualified for the September
presidential debate.

In an message to his supporters, Inslee thanked them for helping change
the "entire national dialogue" on climate change.
https://www.npr.org/2019/08/21/753294631/washington-gov-jay-inslee-withdraws-from-presidential-race
- - -
[Six plans posted, Inslee released his latest plan Wednesday]
*Growing Rural Prosperity plan*, a comprehensive national plan for
reinvestment in growing rural economies and in farm and land-based
climate solutions.
https://www.jayinslee.com/issues/growing-rural-prosperity

*100% Clean Energy for America plan*: Bold standards that rapidly shift
the economy to clean energy, with specific 100% clean energy targets for
electricity, buildings, and transportation, and ending coal power by 2030.
https://www.jayinslee.com/issues/100clean

*Evergreen Economy plan:* A transformative agenda to leverage $9
trillion to build the clean energy economy, spur innovation and grow 8
million good-paying union jobs;.
https://www.jayinslee.com/issues/evergreen-economy
*
**Global Climate Mobilization plan:* Using ambitious American leadership
and every tool in foreign policy to catalyze transformative global
climate action.
https://www.jayinslee.com/issues/global-climate

*Freedom from Fossil Fuels plan:* A plan to end all fossil fuel
subsidies and giveaways, hold corporate polluters accountable, and close
the door on America's fossil fuel era.
https://www.jayinslee.com/issues/freedom-from-fossil-fuels

*Community Climate Justice plan:* A plan that puts environmental justice
and equity at the center of national climate action, with prioritized
investments in front-line communities and in bottom-up strategies for a
Just Transition.
https://jayinslee.com/issues/climate-justice

[Sooner rather than later]
*'We Should Be Retreating Already From the Coastline,' Scientist
Suggests After Finding Warm Waters Below Greenland*
Jordan Davidson Aug. 20, 2019
Andrew Yang's assertion that people move away from the coast at the last
Democratic debate is the completely rational and correct choice for NASA
scientists in Greenland.

"There is enough ice in Greenland to raise the sea levels by 7.5 meters,
that's about 25 feet, an enormous volume of ice, and that would be
devastating to coastlines all around the planet," said Josh Willis, a
NASA oceanographer, to CNN. "We should be retreating already from the
coastline if we are looking at many meters [lost] in the next century or
two."

Willis and his research team at NASA's Ocean Melting Greenland have been
seeing some alarming patterns as they jet around the island's coastline
since heat waves bore down on the U.S. and Europe at the end of July, as
CNN reported. Not only is the surface temperature warmer, turning
Greenland into a slush-filled mess, but the ocean temperature deep under
the water is also rising. The warming water eats away at the foundation
of the glaciers, meaning Greenland's massive ice sheet is getting weaker
at the top and the bottom, which spells trouble for the entire world.
"Greenland has impacts all around the planet. A billion tons of ice lost
here raises sea levels in Australia, in Southeast Asia, in the United
States, in Europe," said Willis to CNN. "We are all connected by the
same ocean."

The scientists looking at the ice and waters found a large opening of
water near Helheim glacier, a huge 4-mile glacier on Greenland's east
coast, that had warm water along its entire depth, more than 2,000 feet
below the surface, as CNN reported.

"It's very rare anywhere on the planet to see 700 meters of no
temperature variation, normally we find colder waters in the upper
hundred meters or so, but right in front of the glacier it's warm all
the way up," said Ian Fenty, a climate scientist at NASA, to CNN. "These
warm waters now are able to be in direct contact with the ice over its
entire face, supercharging the melting."

Helheim has made news the past two summers. Two years ago it lost a huge
2-mile piece. Last summer a chunk the size of lower Manhattan broke off
and was captured on video, as National Geographic reported.

This year the glacier has continued to melt.

"It retreats by many meters per day, it's tens of meters per day. You
can probably set your iPhone on timelapse and actually see it go by,"
said Willis to CNN.

The ice in Greenland started the summer weak. There was little snowfall
this past winter to reinforce the ice or to absorb the sunlight in the
peak of summer, when the sun never fully goes down. Fresh snow stays
bright and reflective, which bounces away solar radiation. Older snow is
less reflective and absorbs the sun's heat. When the first heat wave hit
in June, 45 percent of Greenland's ice sheet was ready to melt,
according to National Geographic.

Arctic ice like Greenland's is also vital to removing carbon from the
atmosphere, according to a study in the journal Polar Biology. The
calcium carbonate crystals that make up sea ice trap carbon dioxide in a
cold brine. When the sea ice melts, it drops that carbon dioxide into
the ocean where it binds to algae, which stops it from circulating
around the atmosphere.

As sea ice decreases, less carbon will be removed from the atmosphere.
Plus, the melting ice will raise sea levels. Glaciers like Helheim are
big enough to make global sea levels rise by one millimeter in just one
month, which concerns scientists, as CNN reported.
https://www.ecowatch.com/greenland-melting-ocean-warming-below-2639919864.html

[Noam Chomsky]
*Chomsky: By Focusing on Russia, We Ignore Trump's Existential Threat to
Climate*
We should be focused on dealing with the environmental crisis while we
still have time to do so, says Noam Chomsky.
David Barsamian, Truthout
PUBLISHED August 21, 2019
In this continuation of an extensive interview, world-renowned public
intellectual Noam Chomsky discusses the growing extremism of the
Republican Party, Trump's ongoing trade war with China, Democrats'
abandonment of the working class and impending threat of the climate
crisis. Read Part 1 of this interview here, and Part 2 here.

*David Barsamian: Talk about the present occupant of the White House. In
some ways, his boorish and grotesque behavior is a pretty easy target.
People can feel very virtuous about denouncing Trump. But Public Citizen
warns, "Every day we witness a further slide toward authoritarianism
under Trump." Are you concerned about that?*

*Noam Chomsky:* I'm less concerned than they are. I think the system is
resilient enough to withstand a figure who is defying subpoenas, defying
congressional orders and so on. I think Trump is in many ways
underestimated. He's a highly skilled politician who is very successful
in what he's doing.

He's got two major constituencies. One is the actual, standard
constituency, the Republican Party -- both parties, but much more the
Republicans -- private wealth, corporate power. You've got to keep them
satisfied...
- - -

*Maureen Dowd, a columnist for The New York Times, writes, "My head
hurts, puzzling over whether Trump is just a big blowhard who's flailing
around, or a sinister genius laying traps to get himself impeached to
animate the base ahead of the election."...*

[...] I don't know if you've looked at this, one of the most amazing
documents in human history that came out of the Trump administration,
from a part of the bureaucracy, naturally. It was a 500-page
environmental assessment study done by the Transportation
Administration, the point of which was to argue that we should not
impose new emissions controls on cars and trucks. And they had a very
sound argument. The argument is, "Look, we're going off the cliff
anyway, and car emissions don't make that much of a difference. So who
cares?"

Their estimate was that by the end of this century, global temperatures
will have risen 4 degrees Centigrade. That's way beyond what the
scientific consensus says will make life unlivable. So, what they're
saying is, "We're finished, it's all done anyhow, by the end of the
century, everything will be destroyed. So why stop driving?" Can you
think of anything like this in human history, ever? Hitler wasn't
saying. "Let's destroy the world."

Of course, they're assuming that…nobody is going to do anything about
it. But all of this passes without anybody paying attention. Let's worry
about whether Russia had some minor influence on the election...

*Talk about the young people in Congress like Representatives Alexandria
Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, Ayanna Pressley and others,
and teen activist students like Greta Thunberg of Sweden, Haven Coleman
of Denver, and other young people involved in Extinction Rebellion and
the Sunrise Movement.*

That's very exciting. That's really the hope for the future. These are
very impressive people. Extinction Rebellion are great people. The
Sunrise Movement -- which is, after all, a small group of young people
-- succeeded partly just through their activism, like sitting-in in
congressional offices, got some support from especially Representative
Ocasio-Cortez, who is doing a wonderful job.

They managed to put on the agenda the Green New Deal. Now, of course, it
immediately got denounced as a "crazy" this, that, and the other thing.
But it's a great achievement. There has to be some kind of Green New
Deal if we're going to survive. And they managed to move it from
obscurity to the legislative agenda, along with Ed Markey, the senator
from Massachusetts. That's a real achievement. And there are very solid,
substantive proposals as to how you could implement these proposals. One
of the most detailed and persuasive I know of is by Robert Pollin, an
economist at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. It can be done.
These groups have broken through the silence and apathy on it. That's a
remarkable achievement.

In fact, it's the hope for survival of any kind of civilized life. This
is not a small thing. The human species is facing questions that have
never arisen before: Is organized human life going to survive in any
recognizable form? We're approaching the level of global warming of
roughly 125,000 years ago, when sea levels were about 25 feet higher
than they are now. You don't have to have much of an imagination to know
what that means.

Shall we race toward it the way the Trump administration and the
Republican Party wants us to do? Or shall we do something about it, the
way Sunrise Movement and Extinction Rebellion and Ocasio-Cortez want to
do? That's the decision that has to be made. It's good that you bring
that up, because that's of extraordinary importance.

[This is a heavily edited transcript of an interview that first aired on
Alternative Radio].
https://www.alternativeradio.org/products/chon256/
https://truthout.org/articles/chomsky-by-focusing-on-russia-we-ignore-trumps-existential-threat-to-climate

*This Day in Climate History - August 22, 2008 - from D.R. Tucker*
August 22, 2008: MSNBC's Keith Olbermann notes:

    "While lunatic groups like [the Koch Brothers-backed] Americans for
    Prosperity continue to deny [that human-caused climate change is]
    happening, this from the Bush administration‘s own wildlife monitors
    off the northwest coast of Alaska:  Nine polar bears were spotted
    swimming in ocean water last Saturday.

    "So what?  Sounds like fun, sort of.  Except they weren‘t swimming
    near their homes on the Alaskan ice--they were swimming because
    their ice homes broke off or melted due to the fact that summer ice
    is disappearing so quickly that at this rate, it will all be gone by
    the year 2030.  The grim reality behind what those wildlife monitors
    saw was: those nine bears were on their way to either dying from
    exhaustion or drowning.

    "So Americans for Prosperity—keep denying and start swimming."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwjaomthkgc
http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/center/articles/2008/los-angeles-times-08-22-2008.html