[TheClimate.Vote] December 1, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Dec 1 09:59:52 EST 2019

/*December 1, 2019*/

[Top US leadership]
*Pelosi heading to Madrid for UN climate change convention*
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/472466-pelosi-heading-to-madrid-for-un-climate-change-convention

[Release the Star Power]
*John Kerry Launches Star-Studded Climate Coalition*
By Lisa Friedman - Nov. 30, 2019

WASHINGTON -- John Kerry, the former senator and secretary of state, has
formed a new bipartisan coalition of world leaders, military brass and
Hollywood celebrities to push for public action to combat climate change.

The name, World War Zero, is supposed to evoke both the national
security threat posed by the earth's warming and the type of wartime
mobilization that Mr. Kerry argued would be needed to stop the rise in
carbon emissions before 2050. The star-studded group is supposed to win
over those skeptical of the policies that would be needed to accomplish
that.

Former presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter are part of the effort.
Moderate Republican lawmakers like Arnold Schwarzenegger, the former
governor of California, and John Kasich, the former governor of Ohio,
are on the list. Stars like Leonardo DiCaprio, Sting and Ashton Kutcher
round out the roster of more than 60 founding members. Their goal is to
hold more than 10 million "climate conversations" in the coming year
with Americans across the political spectrum. With a starting budget of
$500,000, Mr. Kerry said, he and other coalition members intend to hold
town meetings across the country starting in January. Members will head
to battleground states key to the 2020 election, but also to military
bases where climate discussions are rare and to economically depressed
areas that members say could benefit from clean energy jobs...
- - -
The launch of the new group on Sunday comes as diplomats gather in
Madrid on Monday for global climate negotiations aimed at strengthening
the 2015 Paris Agreement, from which President Trump has vowed to
withdraw next year. Earlier this week the United Nations found that the
world's richest countries, responsible for emitting more than
three-fourths of planet-warming pollution, are not doing enough to keep
Earth's temperature from rising to dangerously high levels. Net carbon
emissions from the two largest polluters, the United States and China,
are expanding....
- - -
Mr. Kerry said while individual members might personally promote
specific climate policy proposals, like a tax on carbon dioxide
pollution, or the Green New Deal, the coalition is not aimed at
promoting any particular plan.

"We're not going to be divided going down a rabbit hole for one plan or
another," he said.

The Green New Deal envisions addressing climate change and income
inequality in tandem, with a federal job guarantee and federal mandates
like ensuring the country's power and electricity systems run entirely
on renewable energy by 2030. The Sunrise Movement, a climate activist
group that promotes the Green New Deal, has been critical of global
warming efforts that do not embrace that vision, but its leaders held
their fire on Mr. Kerry's group.

Some members of Mr. Kerry's coalition hold positions that many in the
environmental movement oppose, like support for natural gas as a
transition fuel from coal.

Combustion of natural gas emits about half as much carbon dioxide as
coal and 30 percent less than oil, and its expansion is widely credited
for helping the United States curb emissions in the past decade. It also
produces methane, a fast-acting greenhouse gas with enormous short-term
impacts on the climate.

United Nations scientists have said the world needs to cut carbon
emissions in half by 2030, and must eliminate them by 2050 to limit
warming to relatively safe levels. To do that, the United States would
need to phase out all fossil fuels, including gas, as rapidly as possible...
- - -
Katie Eder, founder of The Future Coalition, a network for youth-led
organizations that helped organize climate strikes around the country in
September, supports the Green New Deal and is a member of Mr. Kerry's
coalition. She said people who cared about climate change needed to look
past their differences.

"While I may be disagreeing with some of the things that other folks
involved in World War Zero believe, that doesn't mean we can't work
together," she said. "Collaboration is our key to survival."
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/30/climate/john-kerry-climate-change.html

[another 5 explanations for denial]
*The five corrupt pillars of climate change denial*
November 28, 2019
Author Mark Maslin - Professor of Earth System Science, UCL
Mark Maslin is a Founding Director of Rezatec Ltd, Director of The
London NERC Doctoral Training Partnership and a member of Cheltenham
Science Festival Advisory Committee.

The fossil fuel industry, political lobbyists, media moguls and
individuals have spent the past 30 years sowing doubt about the reality
of climate change - where none exists. The latest estimate is that the
world's five largest publicly-owned oil and gas companies spend about
US$200 million a year on lobbying to control, delay or block binding
climate policy.

Their hold on the public seems to be waning. Two recent polls suggested
over 75% of Americans think humans are causing climate change. School
climate strikes, Extinction Rebellion protests, national governments
declaring a climate emergency, improved media coverage of climate change
and an increasing number of extreme weather events have all contributed
to this shift. There also seems to be a renewed optimism that we can
deal with the crisis.

But this means lobbying has changed, now employing more subtle and more
vicious approaches - what has been termed as "climate sadism". It is
used to mock young people going on climate protests and to ridicule
Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old young woman with Asperger's, who is simply
telling the scientific truth.

At such a crossroads, it is important to be able to identify the
different types of denial. The below taxonomy will help you spot the
different ways that are being used to convince you to delay action on
climate change.

*1. Science denial*
This is the type of denial we are all familiar with: that the science of
climate change is not settled. Deniers suggest climate change is just
part of the natural cycle. Or that climate models are unreliable and too
sensitive to carbon dioxide.

Some even suggest that CO₂ is such a small part of the atmosphere it
cannot have a large heating affect. Or that climate scientists are
fixing the data to show the climate is changing (a global conspiracy
that would take thousands of scientists in more than a 100 countries to
pull off).

All these arguments are false and there is a clear consensus among
scientists about the causes of climate change. The climate models that
predict global temperature rises have remained very similar over the
last 30 years despite the huge increase in complexity, showing it is a
robust outcome of the science...

The shift in public opinion means that undermining the science will
increasingly have little or no effect. So climate change deniers are
switching to new tactics. One of Britain's leading deniers, Nigel
Lawson, the former UK chancellor, now agrees that humans are causing
climate change, despite having founded the sceptic Global Warming Policy
Foundation in 2009.

It says it is "open-minded on the contested science of global warming,
[but] is deeply concerned about the costs and other implications of many
of the policies currently being advocated". In other words, climate
change is now about the cost not the science.

*2. Economic denial*
The idea that climate change is too expensive to fix is a more subtle
form of climate denial. Economists, however, suggest we could fix
climate change now by spending 1% of world GDP. Perhaps even less if the
cost savings from improved human health and expansion of the global
green economy are taken into account. But if we don't act now, by 2050
it could cost over 20% of world GDP.

We should also remember that in 2018 the world generated
US$86,000,000,000,000 and every year this World GDP grows by 3.5%. So
setting aside just 1% to deal with climate change would make little
overall difference and would save the world a huge amount of money. What
the climate change deniers also forget to tell you is that they are
protecting a fossil fuel industry that receives US$5.2 trillion in
annual subsidies - which includes subsidised supply costs, tax breaks
and environmental costs. This amounts to 6% of world GDP.

The International Monetary Fund estimates that efficient fossil fuel
pricing would lower global carbon emissions by 28%, fossil fuel air
pollution deaths by 46%, and increase government revenue by 3.8% of the
country's GDP.

*3. Humanitarian denial*
Climate change deniers also argue that climate change is good for us.
They suggest longer, warmer summers in the temperate zone will make
farming more productive. These gains, however, are often offset by the
drier summers and increased frequency of heatwaves in those same areas.
For example, the 2010 "Moscow" heatwave killed 11,000 people, devastated
the Russian wheat harvest and increased global food prices.

More than 40% of the world's population also lives in the Tropics -
where from both a human health prospective and an increase in
desertification no one wants summer temperatures to rise.

Deniers also point out that plants need atmospheric carbon dioxide to
grow so having more of it acts like a fertiliser. This is indeed true
and the land biosphere has been absorbing about a quarter of our carbon
dioxide pollution every year. Another quarter of our emissions is
absorbed by the oceans. But losing massive areas of natural vegetation
through deforestation and changes in land use completely nullifies this
minor fertilisation effect.

Climate change deniers will tell you that more people die of the cold
than heat, so warmer winters will be a good thing. This is deeply
misleading. Vulnerable people die of the cold because of poor housing
and not being able to afford to heat their homes. Society, not climate,
kills them.

This argument is also factually incorrect. In the US, for example,
heat-related deaths are four times higher than cold-related ones. This
may even be an underestimate as many heat-related deaths are recorded by
cause of death such as heart failure, stroke, or respiratory failure,
all of which are exacerbated by excessive heat...

*4. Political denial*
Climate change deniers argue we cannot take action because other
countries are not taking action. But not all countries are equally
guilty of causing current climate change. For example, 25% of the
human-produced CO₂ in the atmosphere is generated by the US, another 22%
is produced by the EU. Africa produces just under 5%.

Given the historic legacy of greenhouse gas pollution, developed
countries have an ethical responsibility to lead the way in cutting
emissions. But ultimately, all countries need to act because if we want
to minimise the effects of climate change then the world must go carbon
zero by 2050.

Per capita annual carbon dioxide emissions and cumulative country
emissions. Data from the Global Carbon Project. Nature. Data from the
Global Carbon Project
Deniers will also tell you that there are problems to fix closer to home
without bothering with global issues. But many of the solutions to
climate change are win-win and will improve the lives of normal people.
Switching to renewable energy and electric vehicles, for example,
reduces air pollution, which improves people's overall health.

Developing a green economy provides economic benefits and creates jobs.
Improving the environment and reforestation provides protection from
extreme weather events and can in turn improve food and water security.

*5. Crisis denial*
The final piece of climate change denial is the argument that we should
not rush into changing things, especially given the uncertainty raised
by the other four areas of denial above. Deniers argue that climate
change is not as bad as scientists make out. We will be much richer in
the future and better able to fix climate change. They also play on our
emotions as many of us don't like change and can feel we are living in
the best of times - especially if we are richer or in power.

But similarly hollow arguments were used in the past to delay ending
slavery, granting the vote to women, ending colonial rule, ending
segregation, decriminalising homosexuality, bolstering worker's rights
and environmental regulations, allowing same sex marriages and banning
smoking.

The fundamental question is why are we allowing the people with the most
privilege and power to convince us to delay saving our planet from
climate change?
https://theconversation.com/the-five-corrupt-pillars-of-climate-change-denial-122893

[wondrous life]
*David Attenborough on Spiders, Mortality, and Nature's Resilience | The
New Yorker*
Nov 21, 2019
The New Yorker
The celebrated naturalist discusses the resilience of nature and his
optimistic outlook on mortality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EntGr1PprW4

[Darn]
*Climate Tipping Points Are Closer Than We Think, Scientists Warn*
 From melting ice caps to dying forests and thawing permafrost, the risk
of 'abrupt and irreversible changes' is much higher than thought just a
few years ago.
BY BOB BERWYN, INSIDECLIMATE NEWS
NOV 27, 2019
Humans are playing Russian roulette with Earth's climate by ignoring the
growing risk of tipping points that, if passed, could jolt the climate
system into "a new, less habitable 'hothouse' climate state," scientists
are warning ahead of the annual UN climate summit.

Research now shows that there is a higher risk that "abrupt and
irreversible changes" to the climate system could be triggered at
smaller global temperature increases than thought just a few years ago.
There are also indictations that exceeding tipping points in one system,
such as the loss of Arctic sea ice, can increase the risk of crossing
tipping points in others, a group of top scientists wrote Wednesday in
the scientific journal Nature.

"What we're talking about is a point of no return, when we might
actually lose control of this system, and there is a significant risk
that we're going to do this," said Will Steffen, a climate researcher
with the Australian National University and co-author of the commentary.
"It's not going to be the same conditions with just a bit more heat or a
bit more rainfall. It's a cascading process that gets out of control."
The scientists focused on nine parts of the climate system susceptible
to tipping points, some of them interconnected:

    *Arctic sea ice*, which is critical for reflecting the sun's energy
    back into space but is disappearing as the planet warms.
    The Greenland Ice Sheet, which could raise sea level 20 feet if it
    melts.
    *Boreal forests*, which would release more carbon dioxide (CO2) than
    they absorb if they die and decay or burn.
    *Permafrost*, which releases methane and other greenhouse gases as
    it thaws.
    The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation, a key ocean
    current, which would shift global weather patterns if it slowed down
    or stopped.
    *The Amazon rainforest*, which could flip from a net absorber of
    greenhouse gases to a major emitter.
    *Warm-water corals*, which will die on a large scale as the ocean
    warms, affecting commercial and subsistence fisheries.
    *The West Antarctic Ice Sheet*, which would raise sea level by at
    least 10 feet if it melted entirely and is already threatened by
    warming from above and below.
    Parts of the East Antarctic Ice Sheet that would also raise sea
    level significantly if they melted...

- - -
The new Nature article reinforces other recent similar warnings, said
climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe, director of the Texas Tech
University Climate Science Center. That includes a chapter in the latest
U.S. National Climate Assessment on "potential surprises" in the climate
system, "The scariest thing that you'll ever read that's not by Stephen
King," Hayhoe said.

It explores climate impacts and feedback systems that we don't fully
understand, she said, and "that may be far more worrisome than what we
do know."
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/27112019/climate-tipping-points-permafrost-forests-ice-antarctica-greenland-amazon-nature

*
****This Day in Climate History - December 1, 1987 - from D.R. Tucker*
During a Democratic presidential debate on NBC, Rep. Richard Gephardt
states that the US must work with the Soviet Union on addressing
international environmental issues such as the ozone layer and
greenhouse gas emissions, noting, “The problem we’ve had with these
issues is not that we don’t know what to talk about; the problem we’ve
had is that America hasn’t been a leader.”

http://www.c-span.org/video/?20-1/Presidential  (25:10—26:03)