[TheClimate.Vote] Febuary 2, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Feb 2 09:34:52 EST 2019

/February 2, 2019/

[Audio podcast for ourselves an our posterity]
*The Fatherly Podcast Episode 28: How Do We Prepare Kids for Global
Warming?*
Preparing a kid to live in the world isn't just about the kid -- it's
about the world. And as the world gets warmer, it's also getting more
dangerous.
By Fatherly - Jan 28 2019
As the global threat of climate change looms, parents worry (for good
reason) about the state of the environment and the potential threat
changing temperatures, water levels, and weather might pose to the
future wellbeing of their children. The Fatherly Podcast host Joshua
David Stein and co-host Jason Gay both worry about this in the abstract.
But the abstract can only get you so far. So the duo reached out to
legendary University of Hawaii climate scientist Dr. Camilo Mora, the
author of a new, mind-blowing paper about future disasters.

Our two dads were looking for Mora, who is also a dad, to provide some
reassurance. That did not happen.

Mora outlined a future in which the only constant is likely to be
destructive change, further convincing Joshua and Jason that they need
to teach their kids to always be prepared and to prepare themselves for
the inevitable side effects of climate change. Eager to make some plans,
Joshua and Jason then spoke with Patrick Coleman, Fatherly's parenting
expert, on how to talk to kids about the environment. The takeaway: Try
to do it in a way that won't terrify them. (Good luck with that!)

Enjoy our most terrifying and depressing podcast to date. Also, batten
down the hatches.
https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/fatherly-podcast-global-warming-camilo-mora/

[sea changes]
*Major study uncovers 'sea change' in world's understanding of Atlantic
conveyor belt*
An international research programme has uncovered data that could
transform scientists' understanding of the Atlantic Ocean current - a
circulation pattern that plays a central role in determining weather
across the world.

The research, published in Science, challenges the long-held view that
the strength of the "Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation" (AMOC)
is primarily driven by processes in the Labrador Sea, which is in the
north-west Atlantic.

Instead, the project finds that - over a 21-month period - the strength
of the AMOC was most linked to processes in waters between Greenland and
Scotland, more than 1,000 miles away in the north-east Atlantic.

The research is "very useful for our understanding of how climate change
could affect the AMOC because it points us in the direction of which
regions and processes might be particularly important for maintaining
the overturning circulation", a scientist tells Carbon Brief.

*Conveyor belt*
The AMOC - which is sometimes referred to as the "Atlantic conveyor
belt" - is a large-scale ocean current that moves warm, salty water from
the tropics to regions further north, such as western Europe...
- -
The warm water that the AMOC carries northwards releases heat into the
atmosphere, which means it plays a crucial role in keeping western
Europe warm. Without it, winters in the UK could be around 5C colder.

Scientists fear that climate change could be causing the AMOC to "slow
down". Last year, two studies published in Nature found that the AMOC
had slowed by 15% since the mid-20th century. Further AMOC slowdown has
been linked to an increased risk of intense storms in Europe and faster
sea level rise in parts of the US, among other problems...
https://www.carbonbrief.org/major-study-uncovers-sea-change-in-worlds-understanding-of-atlantic-conveyor-belt
- -
[Science AAAS]
*A sea change in our view of overturning in the subpolar North Atlantic*
[clip from Abstract]
In a departure from the prevailing view that changes in deep water
formation in the Labrador Sea dominate MOC variability, these results
suggest that the conversion of warm, salty, shallow Atlantic waters into
colder, fresher, deep waters that move southward in the Irminger and
Iceland basins is largely responsible for overturning and its
variability in the subpolar basin.
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/363/6426/516
- - -
[Floating tubes gather data]
*Current Status of Argo*
The broad-scale global array of temperature/salinity profiling floats,
known as Argo, has already grown to be a major component of the ocean
observing system. Argo is a standard to which other developing ocean
observing systems can look to. For example, Argo offers ideas on various
topics such as how to collaborate internationally, how to develop a data
management system and how to change the way scientists think about
collecting data. Deployments began in 2000 and continue today at the
rate of about 800 per year.
http://www.argo.ucsd.edu/About_Argo.html

[Activism March 16-18, 2019]
*The March for Fossil Fuel Freedom: A 34-mile Walk to Expose Oily Wells*
Wells Fargo Bank has a dirty-energy secret: it's a leading lender to the
fossil-fuel industry. That's why we're ramping up our new campaign
against "Oily Wells" by marching 34 miles, from Palo Alto to San Francisco.

We'll make 12 "stagecoach stops" along the way - one for every year that
remains to take urgent action on climate change - and arrive at the
bank's world headquarters just in time to crash their annual founding
day celebration.
https://oilywells.com/

[video interview - "dangerous underestimating"]
*The Climate and Security Podcast Episode 6: The "Godmother of Climate
and Security": Sherri Goodman*
The Center for Climate and Security
Published on Jan 14, 2019
In this episode, host Dr. Sweta Chakraborty talks to the "Godmother of
Climate and Security," Sherri Goodman. Sweta asks Sherri about the
Arctic, which is changing faster than any other place on earth! Sherri
explains how the Arctic is warming at twice the rate of the rest of the
planet--destabilizing infrastructure and resulting in a new ocean. She
describes climate change is a "threat multiplier" (a term she coined!)
in that it amplifies the impacts to various aspects of our lives, from
the food we eat to the water we drink and to where we choose to live.
This is an episode not to be missed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keyq57qQRvU
- -
[full interview]
Sherri Goodman is a Senior Fellow at the Woodrow Wilson Center's
Environmental Change and Security Program and Polar Institute. She is
also Chair of the Council on Strategic Risk and a Senior Fellow and
Founder of the CNA Military Advisory Board. Sherri is credited with
educating a generation of US military and government officials about the
nexus between climate change and national security, using her famous
coinage, "threat multiplier," to fundamentally reshape the national
discourse on the topic. A former first Deputy Undersecretary of Defense
(Environmental Security), CEO of the Consortium for Ocean Leadership,
and staff member on the US Senate Armed Services Committee, Goodman has
founded, led, or advised nearly a dozen research organizations on
environmental and energy matters, national security, and public policy.
She has degrees from Harvard Law School, Harvard Kennedy School, and
Amherst College, from which she also received an honorary degree in
Humane Letters. Sherri also studied at the London School of Economics
and Political Science.
*
**Where do you see the most exciting research/debates happening in your
field?*
The most exciting current research and debates on climate security are
occurring in three inter-related areas: First, the emergence of the
"Responsibility to Prepare" concept, developed by the Center for Climate
and Security, is enabling both deeper research and more consequential
action on the unprecedented risks and unprecedented foresight we face in
the climate era. We now live in an era of unprecedented threats from
climate change, nuclear, biological and chemical weapons, cyber attacks,
hyper-nationalism and other disruptive trends. At the same time, we have
access to unprecedented foresight from technological advances in
improved predictive capabilities, data analytics, artificial
intelligence, quantum computing, virtual reality and other advanced
technologies. As we acquire capabilities to better predict alternative
futures, we have a responsibility to prepare for these unprecedented
risks. The goal of the Responsibility to Prepare agenda is to build an
international security architecture at all levels (national, regional
and international) that is resilient to systemic threats. Researchers
and scholars of climate security will be better able to assess and
analyze these risks as governments and others begin to mobilize to
deploy these advanced predictive capabilities.

Second, and related to the Responsibility to Prepare, are the exciting
developments in predictive capability that better link short-term
weather predictions to medium to longer-term climate trends. Sometimes
referred to as "subseasonal-to-seasonal forecasting," this emerging
capability will enable whole sectors of society, from agriculture to
real estate to urban and military planners, to incorporate better
forecasts about weather and climate, from short-term forecasts to
12-month predictions, into their business planning. This capability can
also be used better to evaluate climate security risks on a regional
basis, integrating ecological, political, security and social risks into
more accurate foresight tools.

The third exciting area of new research and debate is the growing
convergence among core systemic risks to security in the 21st century.
Cross-sectoral risks including climate change, nuclear, biological and
chemical weapons, cyber-warfare and other advanced technologies to
control and disrupt data connectivity and markets, as well as
hyper-nationalism, are combining into dynamic new threats to the liberal
world order. The relationships among core nuclear, biological, climate
and security risks are growing more complex and interconnected, and
these issues are likely to begin converging in new ways. A new field of
research is emerging to explore the convergence of these risks and how
to devise management methods and solutions that account for multiple,
intersecting threats and opportunities from new nuclear and climate
technologies.

*How has the way you understand the world changed over time, and what
(or who) prompted the most significant shifts in your thinking?*
In the Cold War, when I came of age, the existential threat to our
planet was widely thought to be a "bolt out of the blue" nuclear attack
by the Soviet Union. We devoted billions of dollars to deterring and
defending against an all-out nuclear attack. We characterized this as a
"low probability, high consequence" event. In today's climate era, we
recognize that climate risks pose an equally existential threat to human
existence. Indeed, climate risks are "high probability, high
consequence" events, for which we, as nations and communities, are
largely unprepared today. The shift in my own thinking occurred during
the course of leading and writing the first CNA Military Advisory Board
(MAB) study in 2006-07. I learned from both world-class climate
scientists and some of our most distinguished military leaders that
climate risks pose serious national security threats.

*How did your government service influence your thinking about climate
security?*
My service in the US Department of Defense and on the staff of the US
Senate Armed Services Committee influenced my thinking by giving me the
experience of assessing risks in terms of types of national security
threats, levels of risks and ranges of solutions. It also enabled me to
appreciate the importance of engaging military and national security
leaders to address one of the most important threats of our time. At the
same time, a whole of government approach and response, including
science and technology, energy, foreign policy, development, disaster
planning and response, agriculture, transportation, health and
education, is essential to address the challenges of climate security.

*How does climate change act as a threat multiplier? What are the
implications of thinking about climate change as a threat multiplier for
the international security landscape?*
Climate change acts as a "threat multiplier" by exacerbating other
security risks, from terrorism, weapons of mass destruction, mass
migration and other preconditions of human desperation. When people lack
adequate food and water, exacerbated by prolonged droughts, water
scarcity, extreme weather events and sea level rise, they will seek to
fulfill their immediate human needs by either fleeing into the hands of
terrorists or migrating towards perceived safety. In this way, climate
risks multiply other threats we already face.

Considering climate change as a threat multiplier prompts us to
integrate climate risks throughout the international security planning
framework, from risk assessment and characterization, to consequence
management and disaster relief. Rather than isolating (or denying)
climate risks from other security risks, the "threat multiplier"
framework opens up new avenues of analysis, predictive risk assessment,
response and action.

*What value does a national security framework bring to climate change
that other frameworks might not? How has the field of climate security
changed since your CNA report?*
First of all, it's important to note that the national security
implications of climate change are not a "framework" in a communications
sense. These risks are actually already happening, and we should deal
with them as we do other national security risks. Nobody asks, for
example, about how the national security framework brings value to
terrorism or nuclear proliferation concerns. They are simply accepted as
national security risks, and climate change should be as well.
Acknowledging these real climate security risks enables clear-eyed
thinking about some of the most serious risks from climate change. It
also enables citizens who do not identify as environmentalists to
appreciate the risks of climate change in a national security context.
Furthermore, climate security risk assessment enables militaries to
assess climate risk to operations and installations, to training and to
capacity-building, and then to develop climate resilient responses for
military operations, training, equipment and installations.

The CNA report launched the field of climate security, which did not
previously exist. This report gave birth to a whole new field of
research and analysis on climate security risks and enabled a new
generation of climate security professionals to emerge. Their work is
now integrating various dimensions of climate and security risks into
the thinking and practice of a wide range of disciplines.
*
**What is the connection between climate change, water security, and
national security? In what ways might climate change force us to
reconsider traditional notions of national security in this context?*
Climate change as a "threat multiplier" will exacerbate already-scarce
water and food resources (combined with population growth in some
regions and other factors) and could exacerbate security threats,
particularly where institutions and governance are weak or lacking. This
causes the US to focus on new or additional areas, thereby stretching
our defense resources. In addition, having to use our military resources
for humanitarian purposes post-disasters at home and around the globe
also stretches our limited resources.

Moreover, to date, more cooperation over resources has occurred than
conflict. However, the impacts of climate change could mean that climate
will be more of a "catalyst for conflict" over time, as CNA's MAB has
noted in a 2014 report that updates its 2007 findings. China controls
the headwaters of many of Asia's most important rivers. China's demand
for water continues to grow with its population and economic
development. It could be in a position to monopolize key water resources
in Asia in the future. These resources are made even more scarce by dams
that divert upstream waters from downstream riparian users in the lesser
developed countries of Bangladesh, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and others,
as well as by overuse of existing groundwater. China also faces
significant climate risks, from prolonged droughts in the north to sea
level rise, extreme weather events and inundation in the south. China
could, in the future, both weaponize its water power by exerting further
leverage over its downstream neighbors and geoengineer the climate
through various emerging technologies that will enable it to reduce
climate impacts to its people. In other words, Asia could become the
frontline for the offensive or asymmetric use of climate engineering
technologies for national purposes.

*What is the most exciting project you are currently working on, and how
will it impact our understanding of climate security?*
I work on a variety of projects, all of which are very exciting. One of
them involves the Woodrow Wilson Center's Polar Institute where we are
exploring geostrategic change in the Arctic, from the potential for
major powers to compete for both resources and influence in the region
of the world changing fastest from climate change to the opportunity to
develop resilient and sustainable Arctic infrastructure. The goal is
both to better understand Arctic change from an integrated national
security, science and policy perspective, and to help prepare people and
institutions to operate in this region as it opens to greater human
activity.

*What is the most important advice you could give to young scholars or
practitioners of international politics?*
If you have a good idea, pursue it with passion and don't take no for an
answer. But always work constructively with others to move concepts and
actions forward. Recognize that sometimes, only in hindsight, do we see
the fruits of our labor. Sustainable progress takes sustained personal
investment.
https://climateandsecurity.org/2019/01/31/interview-with-sherri-goodman-a-responsibility-to-prepare/

[Classic, important college lecture - from 11 years ago]
*Climate Change: What We Know and What We Need to Learn*
University of California Television (UCTV)
Published on May 1, 2008
How is human activity changing the climate and what are the
consequences? Is global warming the cause of more frequent droughts,
stronger storms and less snow in the mountains? Lawrence Livermore
National Laboratory Scientist Dave Bader explores what scientists know
about  climate change and the research tools used to study the climate.
Series: Science on Saturday [10/2006] [Science] [Show ID: 11544]
https://youtu.be/eXa_VxdplkI

*This Day in Climate History - Febuary 2, 2007 - from D.R. Tucker*
February 2, 2007: The 4th IPCC report is released.
http://youtu.be/rBHjVN0dn6A
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/conference-on-global-warming/
http://abcnews.go.com/International/video/global-warming-fault-2843769
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/bleak-assessment-global-warming-2845826