[TheClimate.Vote] February 9, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Feb 9 10:05:56 EST 2019

/February 9, 2019/

[looking to the future]
*Climate change: World heading for warmest decade, says Met Office*
The world is in the middle of what is likely to be the warmest 10 years
since records began in 1850, say scientists.
The Met Office is forecasting that temperatures for each of the next
five years are likely to be 1C or more above pre-industrial levels.
In the next five years there's also a chance we'll see a year in which
the average global temperature rise could be greater than 1.5C.
That's seen as a critical threshold for climate change.
If the data matches the forecast, then the decade from 2014-2023 will be
the warmest in more than 150 years of record keeping...
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47144058

[reports from the Southern Hemisphere]
*Record-shattering, 'unprecedented' heat scorches Australia, Chile and
Argentina*
While we've been shivering up here, folks in the Southern Hemisphere
have been baking in all-time record summertime heat.

Records have been set recently in Australia, Chile and Argentina,
sparking wildfires and exacerbating droughts.
In Australia, the heat was so intense it caused bats to fall from trees
and snakes to seek refuge in people's toilets, according to the
Australian Broadcasting Corporation and the Capital Weather Gang.

Overall, it was the hottest January in Australia ever recorded, the
Australian Bureau of Meteorology reported. The heatwaves there were
"unprecedented in their scale and duration," the bureau said.
One remarkable record was set in Port Augusta, Australia, which soared
to 121 degrees. That's the hottest temperature ever recorded at a
coastal location in the Southern Hemisphere, according to Weather
Underground meteorologist Bob Henson.
- - -
Overall, the past five years have been the five warmest years since
records began in the late 1800s, both NOAA and NASA said.
Heat will continue to be the Earth's major weather story in the future,
as the globe warms due to human activity: Heatwaves and other extreme
weather "are likely" to persist as a "consequence of accelerating
climate change," a report from the World Meteorological Organization
said last year...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/02/08/heat-wave-scorches-southern-hemisphere-record-shattering-temps/2812647002/
- - -
[New Zealand]
*Tasman Glacier: Huge ice chunks break off New Zealand glacier*
Huge chunks of ice have broken off the Tasman Glacier, New Zealand's
largest.

They have filled up at least a quarter of the meltwater lake at the foot
of the glacier in the Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park, reports say.
The lake started to form in the 1970s as the glacier rapidly retreated -
a phenomenon thought to have been largely caused by global warming.
One guide says the chunks resemble huge skyscrapers lying on their side
in the water.
"We've got skyscraper-size icebergs floating around on the lake,"
Glacier Kayaking owner Charlie Hobbs told Radio New Zealand.
- - -
*Tasman Glacier ice chunks fall*
The ice chunks breaking off are caused by glacial ice above the water
melting, putting pressure on the ice underneath the water.
"The water gets in underneath the ice and sort of jacks it up, and it
snaps off.
"Large calving events are less frequent, but the icebergs that come up
are really big."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47171009

[Science lessons - Paul Beckwith video]
*Non-Intuitive Consequences of Rapid Melt in Greenland and Antarctica: 1
of 2*
Paul Beckwith
Published on Feb 8, 2019
Glaciers on Greenland and Antarctica are rapidly melting due to Abrupt
Climate Change, and melt rates are doubling with a period of roughly 7
years. This is exponential, after 7 years melt rates are double (2x),
after 14 years rates are 4x, after 21 years rates are 8x, etc...In this
video and the next I discuss consequences that are rarely considered,
like reduced gravitational pull near the glaciers, isostatic rebound,
and reduction of vertical ocean mixing from surface freshwater lensing
effects, leading to increased basal ice sheet melting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4WOBFzVck4

[Climate destabilization and human destabilization]
*Climate Change and Psychology: Effects of Rapid Global Warming on
Violence and Aggression*
*Topical Collection on Climate Change and Conflicts*
Abstract
*Purpose of Review*
An important question regarding rapid climate change concerns its likely
effects on violence. Rapid climate change is likely to produce
sociological, political, economic, and psychological changes that will
increase the likelihood of violent behavior. This article examines
relevant theory and research.
*Recent Findings*
We examine three lines of research: (a) how hot temperatures directly
influence aggression and violence; (b) how rapid climate change
indirectly increases adulthood violence proneness through its effects on
physiological and psychological development; (c) and how ecomigration
influences group-level aggression. We also discuss arguments against the
effects of climate change on aggression and violence.
*Summary*
Research and theory reveal three ways that rapid global warming can
increase aggression and violence. We describe a model showing the
relationship between rapid global warming on antisocial behaviors and
risk factors for aggression and violence.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs40641-019-00121-2

[ Dehlia Hannah ]
*Ecology, Psycholanalysis and Global Warming Conference*
Climate Art - climate as unthinkable idea
August 2018
https://vimeo.com/tavistockandportman/review/307463794/c9f8fbc161
http://dehliahannah.com/model-climates/
- -
[newly published]
*A Year Without a Winter*
Edited by Dehlia Hannah
Columbia Books on Architecture and the City
https://cup.columbia.edu/book/a-year-without-a-winter/9781941332382
[More art and climate]
*The wind map is a living portrait of the wind currents over the U.S.*
http://hint.fm/projects/wind/
*Dehlia Hannah - A Year Without a Winter*
http://dehliahannah.com/a-year-without-a-winter/

[Book tour for - "The Uninhabitable Earth: A Story of the Future" - out
on 19 February]
*David Wallace-Wells on climate: 'People should be scared - I'm scared'*
David Wallace-Wells's apocalyptic depiction of a world made
uninhabitable by climate chaos caused an outcry when it was published in
New York magazine in 2017. Based on the worst-case scenarios foreseen by
science, his article portrayed a world of drought, plague and famine, in
which acidified oceans drown coastal homelands, dormant diseases are
released from ancient ice, conflicts surge, economies collapse, human
cognitive abilities decline and heat stress becomes more intolerable in
New York City than in present-day Bahrain. Critics called this
irresponsibly alarmist. Supporters said it was a long-overdue antidote
to climate complacency. Whatever your view, it was among the best-read
climate articles in US history. Now he is back with a book-length