[TheClimate.Vote] February 25, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Feb 25 12:22:09 EST 2019

/February 25, 2019/

[Feinstein is divisive - DailyKOS]
*Why is Sen. Feinstein offering a competing Climate Change proposal when
GND polls at 81%?*
Senate Resolution 59 is the Green New Deal. It currently has 12 Senate
co-sponsors (that's over 25% of the Democratic Senate Caucus). The
co-sponsors include Sen. Cory Booker, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, Sen.
Kamal Harris, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Sen. Bernie Sanders and Sen. Elizabeth
Warren.

Every single senator running for President is co-sponsoring this
resolution. More importantly, the measure is overwhelmingly popular
among voters. And when I say overwhelmingly, I'm not kidding:

More than 80 percent of registered voters support the Green New Deal
proposal being pushed by progressional Democratic lawmakers, a new
poll found.
The survey conducted by the Yale Program on Climate Communication
and the George Mason University Center for Climate Change
Communication found that 92 percent of Democrats and 64 percent of
Republicans back the Green New Deal plan. --
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/421765-poll-majorities-of-both-parties-support-green-new-deal

Read that again, 92% of Democrats support the Green New Deal. 64% of
Republicans support it. 88% of independents support it.

Survey respondents were given a brief synopsis of the GND and asked
whether they supported it.

Some members of Congress are proposing a "Green New Deal" for the
U.S. They say that a Green New Deal will produce jobs and strengthen
America's economy by accelerating the transition from fossil fuels
to clean, renewable energy. The Deal would generate 100% of the
nation's electricity from clean, renewable sources within the next
10 years; upgrade the nation's energy grid, buildings, and
transportation infrastructure; increase energy efficiency; invest in
green technology research and development; and provide training for
jobs in the new green economy.  --
http://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/the-green-new-deal-has-strong-bipartisan-support/

Which leads to the question, why is Sen. Diane Feinstein proposing
legislation that is virtually guaranteed to divide Democrats when S.Res.
59 comes up for a vote? Also, why is she offering a proposal universally
considered weaker than the GND, when the GND has enormous public support?

RL Miller
@RL_Miller
Feb 22, 2019
Replying to @RL_Miller and 2 others
Here's what you need to know. Feinstein's reso is substantially weaker
than the GND.  Instead of "get everything done by 2030" as the latest
science tells us, it's "2050 is fine." #DiFiGND

RL Miller
@RL_Miller
the Feinstein resolution promotes a grab bag of some (not all) of
Obama's executive orders: return to Paris, energy efficiency, more.
But look hard at what's missing. #DiFiGND

It's not even everything the Obama administration instituted via
executive orders! It's kind of going backwards. It is really weaker than
the GND, let me use one small example. Here's the GND:

(4) to achieve the Green New Deal goals and mobilization, a Green
New Deal will require the following goals and projects-- [...]

(M) obtaining the free, prior, and informed consent of indigenous
peoples for all decisions that affect indigenous peoples and their
traditional territories, honoring all treaties and agreements with
indigenous peoples, and protecting and enforcing the sovereignty and
land rights of indigenous peoples --
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-resolution/59/text

here's Sen. Feinstein's proposal:

(3) The United States shall ensure a just and equitable transition
for all communities, including by: [...]
(D) respecting the needs and wisdom of local communities in planning
infrastructure changes, especially communities that have
historically been marginalized or oppressed, including indigenous
peoples, communities of color, migrant communities, deindustrialized
communities, depopulated rural communities, the poor, low-income
workers, women, the elderly, the unhoused, people with disabilities,
and youth --
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-resolution/59/text

There's an enormous difference between "respect the needs and wisdom of"
and "obtaining the free, prior, and informed consent of". The first is a
relatively content-free platitude, the second is a concrete requirement.
There are several other examples. Sen. Feinstein's proposal does not
talk about union labor, the GND does. The GND requires a full-scale
mobilization effort over ten years. Sen Feinstein's proposal has softer
targets over 30 years. The GND proposes a high speed rail network and
public transit, to reduce reliance on air and car travel, Sen.
Feinstein's proposal does not. Don't take my word for it, please read
them side by side and ask yourself why anyone would want to squander the
enormous political momentum GND activists have built (80% of voters
support them!) by offering up a weaker version.

That twitter thread is worth reading in full (h/t MB). But here's the
critical bit for the purpose of this discussion. Mitch McConnell intends
to present S.Res. 59 up for a vote, in an attempt to divide Democrats.

RL Miller
@RL_Miller
Feb 22, 2019
Replying to @RL_Miller and 4 others
we know that Mitch McConnell intends to bring S. Res 59, the original
#GreenNewDeal resolution, up for a vote so as to fracture Democrats.
#DiFiGND

RL Miller
@RL_Miller
Some of us have been urging Senate Dems to not give in to McConnell; not
promote a "Dems in Disarray" narrative; not be splintered. #DiFiGND

10:34 PM - Feb 22, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Forget the video for a bit. It was a remarkably effective piece of
activism, but after four different rec listed diaries, the video it is
not worth discussing further. Let's talk about policy and what actually
needs to be done here.

Why does Sen. Feinstein think her proposal is better than S.Res.59?

Why does she think offering it up in the Senate is going to result in
more tangible progress than throwing her back behind the resolution
proposed by Sen. Markey in the Senate?

Perhaps  Sen. Feinstein has reached a secret deal with Mitch McConnell.
Perhaps she has reason to believe her resolution will pass with strong
Republican support. If so, that would be great progress under a
Republican administration and Senate. I would welcome it.

If however, Sen. Feinstein does not have such an agreement, then as RL
Miller notes, her alternative proposal merely serves to divide Senate
Democrats on this issue. What then is the point of the proposal? Why
offer a divisive proposal when the one on the table has 92% support
among Democrats?

I'm genuinely curious as to what Sen. Feinstein is thinking with her
alternate proposal.

-- @subirgrewal - Cross-posted to TheProgressiveWing
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/2/23/1837259/-Why-is-Sen-Feinstein-offering-a-competing-Climate-Change-proposal-when-GND-polls-at-81

[ClimateCrocks]
*The New Black? The Making of the "Green" Stereotype*
February 24, 2019
David Roberts on Twitter:
All right, I view the argument over personal carbon-cutting behavior as
a toxic distraction, taking place almost entirely *within* the already
insular climate community & mostly furnishing ways for ppl in that
community to bash others in that community. And …

… the last few days reinforced that tenfold. So I want to share one last
anecdote & then hopefully leave the subject behind. Pull up a chair.

Back around 2007, Al Gore's first movie came out & green was briefly
"cool" in pop culture. Magazines had glossy "green issues."

"Green" popped up in commercials, movies, & sports events. And, most
memorably for me personally, NBC instituted a "green week" during which
all their programming would be, in some vague & poorly specified way,
"green." It was a strange & heady time.

"Green week" perfectly captured what went so horribly wrong with all
this. The thing is, though Gore made climate "trend," as we say these
days, the vast, vast majority of people, including the people making pop
culture, didn't understand it.

Most people had no frame of reference whatsoever other than the simple
fact that this was "environmental" -- the latest thing environmentalists
were going on about, some new kind of pollution, some new set of
threatened critters, something something.

Lacking any guidance from NBC, or any user-friendly resources to learn
more, the creatives behind NBC shows, forced to incorporate "green,"
simply fell back on their pre-existing impressions & associations &
stereotypes. And what were those? Funny you should ask.

I can't claim to have watched all the programming on Green Week, but I
watched a lot of it, and in every single case, the manifestation of
"green" was the same: into the show was introduced a preachy, hectoring,
morally superior enviro obsessing over every little daily thing.

Nagging other characters about their plastic straw, where their clothes
were manufactured, what they eat, etc etc. A few things were common in
all these characterizations. First, the enviros were never characterized
as *wrong*. The virtue of their ultimate goals …

… was always grudgingly accepted. It's just that they were *annoying*.
Second, the changes the enviros advocated were inevitably cast as
irksome sacrifices that made life more difficult & less fun. Living
green was very clearly presented as a drag. And third …

… the episode ended w/ the annoying enviro either going away, or the
character who had briefly been gripped by environmental sanctimony
"getting over it." (That's what happened in How I Met Your Mother: Ted
got super preachy & annoying, then returned to "normal.")

There's a lot to say about this chapter. It was obviously disastrous for
NBC to force "green" into their programming without any guidance. But at
the same time, it was a stark & disturbing revelation of exactly what
cultural associations currently cling to "green."

To put it bluntly: in US popular culture, greens are seen as humorless,
sanctimonious, uptight moralists who find fault in every little thing,
who are incapable of relaxing & enjoying things, and who, however noble
their goals, are insufferable to be around.

You can argue whether the caricature is fair or deserved. You can argue
about whose fault it is. But, unless you've lived entirely inside the
green bubble from college forward, you can't deny it's out there. It's
pretty obvious.

It seems pretty self-evidently true to me that the ubiquity of this
social stereotype is bad for environmentalism & environmental causes. It
makes environmentalism seem like a full-fledged Identity, or a religion,
a whole package of behaviors & signifiers & commitments.
That raises the barrier to entry. If I want clean water, am I going to
speak up about pollution? Not if, in order to do so, I have to adopt a
certain style of dress, listen to certain types of music, accept certain
associations, *be a certain kind of person*. It's too much.

In US environmentalism, writ large, concerns about public & ecosystem
health, about public policy, come packaged with a lifestyle & a bunch of
behavioral & cultural commitments. Personal virtue & progressive policy
have gotten hopelessly tangled.

This seems disastrous to me. And -- the whole point of all this -- I
really, really don't want to see the same thing happen on climate. I do
not want climate subsumed into "environmental," taking on all the same
cultural baggage & associations. It'll just be another niche.

I want for there to be space for people to engage with climate change as
a policy matter *without* being forced to also sign onto a lifestyle or
identity. This is why I came up with the term "climate hawk" -- to help
create that space.

Which brings us to the present dispute. People are saying that those who
advocate for smart climate policy are obliged to engage in showy green
lifestyle choices -- take vacations on trains, buy an electric car, put
up solar panels.

Putting aside the class implications -- these lifestyle choices are
largely available to, & chosen by, the affluent, who nonetheless remain
the highest emitters -- it just seems to me to replicate exactly the
mistakes that have so diminished environmentalism.
https://climatecrocks.com/2019/02/24/the-new-black-the-making-of-the-green-stereotype/#more-55134

[Only three?]
*The 3 Big Things That People Misunderstand About Climate Change*
David Wallace-Wells, author of the new book The Uninhabitable Earth,
describes why climate change might alter our sense of time.
ROBINSON MEYER
FEB 22, 2019
The year is 2100. The United States has been devastated by climate
change. Super-powerful hurricanes regularly ravage coastal cities.
Wildfires have overrun Los Angeles several times over. And it is
dangerous to go outside on some summer days--children and the elderly
risk being broiled alive.

In such a world as that one, will we give up on the idea of historical
progress? Should we even believe in it now? In his new book, The
Uninhabitable Earth, the writer David Wallace-Wells considers how global
warming will change not only the experience of human life but also our
ideas and philosophies about it. It's possible, he told me recently,
that climate change will make us believe that history is "something that
takes us backward rather than forward."

"The 21st century will be dominated by climate change in the same way
that … the 19th century in the West was dominated by modernity or
industry," he said. "There won't be an area of human life that is
untouched by it."

I recently talked to Wallace-Wells about his new book, the difficulty of
writing stories about climate change, and which science-fiction prophecy
he believes came true. Our conversation has been edited for clarity and
brevity.

Robinson Meyer: You had the big cover story in New York, and then you
wrote a book. What did you learn writing the book that maybe wasn't as
clear when you were writing the first story?

David Wallace-Wells: I'd written a previous cover story about bee death,
but I hadn't done a ton of straight-ahead climate writing. And in a sort
of perverse way, I think that was one of the qualifying things about my
background for that story and this book. I was coming at it fresh. I had
a different perspective than people who had devoted their lives to
it--which is that I don't actually, like, intuitively care all that much
about nature per se. And so [in the story] I wasn't writing about the
plight of the animals or the tragedy of the rainforest. I was focused on
people.

In that first piece, I also really focused on worst-case scenarios. I
looked at scenarios north of 4 degrees [Celsius of global warming], 5
degrees, 6 degrees, even 8 degrees--and I thought it was very important
to introduce those scenarios to the broader public because they were so
far from what even the general, engaged, liberal understanding of
climate change was.

It made me think that there were all of these other downstream effects
of climate change that even academics hadn't begun to contemplate. We
have this idea over the last few centuries that history may be erratic,
it may punish some people here and there, but generally over time, as
time marches forward, we see progress, we see lives getting more
prosperous and safer and healthier.

While I don't think it's safe to say that climate will completely undo
that, I think it's quite likely that it does transform that perspective
in some way. It's certainly within the realm of conceivability that
damages accumulate so significantly that we totally drop that idea about
history as an arrow of progress and start thinking of it as something
that is much less reliable, even something that takes us backward rather
than forward.

Meyer: I want to talk about that more, but first I want to follow up on
this idea of the "general, engaged understanding" of climate change. I
think about that a lot. What do you think the general understanding of
the issue is?

Wallace-Wells: It's actually changing quite quickly. I think that my
article played a small role in that, but the [Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change] report was a way bigger deal. It really does seem to
have awakened a huge amount of alarmism and panic, and it also sort of
invited scientists to speak more openly about the issue. But when I
first started writing, I was motivated by the divergence between what I
saw coming out of academic research and how those stories were being
told in most mainstream publications. And that was along three points.

*The first point is about the speed of change*. The emphasis was always
about how slow climate change was, and how it was hard to deal with
because there was no urgency to it. But the animating fact to me is that
more than half of all the emissions ever produced from the burning of
fossil fuels have been produced in just the last three decades. That
transformed my perspective--I realized that this is something that we're
doing very much in real time.

*The second thing that we sort of misunderstood was the scope of it.* So
much of the storytelling is focused on sea-level rise and the melting of
ice in the Arctic and Antarctic. Obviously that's a huge part of the
climate story. But it also gives this false sense that it's a problem
that has local impacts--like if you stay off the shoreline, you're
likely to be safe.

*The third problem was the severity.* Scientists had often talked about
this 2-degree [Celsius of global temperature rise] threshold as a kind
of meaningful mark of climate horror, and I think that most readers
understood that to mean that that was about as bad as it could get. But
we can now see that 2 degrees of warming is functionally a floor for
where we'll be, and not a ceiling.

Meyer: You process a lot of scholarly or humanistic writing about
climate change in your book. Whose work has stuck with you?

Wallace-Wells: The people who've written about the politics of
climate--especially the relationship of climate and capitalism. Naomi
Klein is to me sort of like the North Star. Jed Purdy's work--he is more
sort of earnestly theoretical, but he is valuable in placing the
challenge of climate in the long tradition of political philosophy.

Honestly, the person whose work most flicked this light on for me was
Amitav Ghosh and his book The Great Derangement, which is about
narrative. I found a lot to disagree with in his interpretation, mostly
because I come from kind of a literary background. I used to work at The
Paris Review, and I studied all this stuff in college, and I had a
slightly different idea of what the basic function of novel writing is.
Therefore I had a different interpretation of why we don't have good
novels written about climate change.

Meyer: He argues that climate change is uniquely hard to write stories
about, right? Where did you disagree with him?

Wallace-Wells: Ghosh's basic argument is that the novel is a form about
the inner life of an individual. And the problem of climate change is a
very different category of problem for him. You can place the stories of
individuals within it, but you end up with something like The Day After
Tomorrow, where it's like, Oh, here's a person who's dealing with a
struggle, but the story is also about climate change. And the disconnect
feels almost corny and staged.

I tended to think about it more in terms of responsibility and villainy.
I think that we have a very hard time processing our own complicity as
Westerners reading novels and wondering about climate change. We really
prefer to see ourselves as truly innocent, and therefore want our
climate storytelling to reassure us about our own culpability, and tell
us in fact that it's someone else's problem in our culture, outside of
narrative.

I think this often takes the form of vilifying oil companies. I don't
want to come off as someone who thinks oil companies are forces for
good. But I also realized that when I buy a flight to take a vacation,
I'm not doing that as a tool of the oil companies. When I eat a
hamburger, I'm not doing that as a tool of the oil companies. Everything
about the way that we all live in the modern world [has] a carbon
footprint, and therefore we all share in responsibility for this damage.

I hope that that sort of revelation will inspire people to some kind of
collective action. Lifestyle choices are ultimately so small that
anything other than political action and organizing seems to me
effectively a diversion. But I also am not approaching the subject
really as an advocate, but as a truth teller and storyteller.

Meyer: Do you think there's a way to write that kind of narrative that
doesn't wind up feeling like The Jungle? Which ends with a giant
Socialist rally, and the narrator being absorbed into the fervor of the
crowd. Or, I really enjoyed [the 2018 film] Sorry to Bother You, but it
has a very similar kind of arc in which the politics save the main
character.

Wallace-Wells: I guess it depends on whether what you're looking for in
a narrative is polemic or humanity. I actually think that one of the
features of my writing on this subject is that it--I hope this doesn't
sound too grand to say--but it demonstrates that if you handle them
right, the simple accumulation of facts can take on an enormous
narrative force. And I don't really think that that's something that
many other writers about climate have done before.

We are still in the infant stage of figuring out how to tell stories
about this issue. Going forward, I suspect that the more interesting
narrative forms are likely to background climate change and make it
appear like the theater in which human dramas are unfolding. Think
about, for instance, a climate refugee camp, where the story is
effectively some rivalry between two quasi-criminal-like figures in the
camp. Or a honeymoon where people are going snorkeling through Miami Beach.

There are whole imaginative theaters for storytelling about climate that
we haven't yet begun to explore. But if all that is considered
"responsible" is optimistic hopeful storytelling about how we can solve
the problem, then that's just--from a narrative perspective, it's kind
of corny. The best climate storytelling is likely to be written by
people like J. G. Ballard, or William Gibson, or Margaret Atwood, who
are really thinking about all the weird ways that these forces could
transform our lives.

Meyer: Gibson's really recent novel, The Peripheral, seems like one of
the better presentations of how you're talking about history now--about
how day-to-day, lived existence would feel like in a world where
progress has gone wrong, where there are cataclysms in the past from
which people really haven't recovered.

Wallace-Wells: I know [Gibson] a little bit because I did the Paris
Review interview with him. We were emailing a few weeks ago and I was
like, Oh, I'm just adding a couple sentences to the book, last minute,
about how science-fiction writers are likely to be understood even more
as prophets because of climate change, and he wrote back and he was
like, You know what, every time people say that to me, I always say "We
haven't successfully predicted anything! We got all of our predictions
wrong. The only thing we've gotten right is the mood." And I wrote back
and I was like, No, the mood is a prediction! It's a really important
prediction, and actually you guys got it extremely right.

Meyer: What's the meaning of climate change to you? What's its larger
import? Is it the stuff about history or is it something else?

Wallace-Wells: My short-form answer is that I think that the 21st
century will be dominated by climate change in the same way that, say,
the end of the 20th century was dominated by financial capitalism, or
the 19th century in the West was dominated by modernity or
industry--that this will be the meta-narrative of the coming decades,
and there won't be an area of human life that is untouched by it. Often
people talk about climate change as a global problem, which it obviously
is, but I don't think we've really started to think about what that
means all the way down to the level of individual life.

My basic perspective is that everything about human life on this planet
will be transformed by this force. Even if we end up at a kind of
best-case outcome, I think the world will be dominated by these forces
in the coming decades in ways that it's hard to imagine and we really
haven't started to think hard enough about.

I am a child of the 1990s. I'm American. I grew up in New York. And in
that way I am, you know, the product of the end of history. I felt that
there were all these forces unfolding in the world around me--and that
while I had my skepticism about them, while I had my critiques about
them, I did believe that they were carrying us forward into a better,
more prosperous, more just world. I knew that that would not be an easy
path, and I knew that we'd have to fight to make sure that, for
instance, market forces and globalization benefited more people rather
than fewer. I knew that there were political fights to be had there. But
in general I just intuited in a deep emotional way--that I might not
have even been willing to admit publicly, because I would have found it
embarrassing--that history did move forward and therefore my life was
going to be an experience of witnessing progress. I feel very profoundly
not that way anymore.

ROBINSON MEYER is a staff writer at The Atlantic, where he covers
climate change and technology.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/02/david-wallace-wells-climate-change-interview/583360/

[Joe Romm opinion]
*The 20-year-old playbook that explains Republicans' attacks on the
Green New Deal*
Republicans' meaningless words on climate action come from 2002 Bush and
Luntz playbook
JOE ROMM - FEB 15, 2019, 8:11 AM
Republicans are gearing up to attack the Green New Deal -- the latest
effort by Democrats to address the growing climate crisis with a big
push to deploy clean energy.

But because the public has long been supportive of both climate action
and clean energy -- and the momentum behind calls for action only
continues to grow -- the GOP has to pretend that they have a plan of
their own.

So that means you can expect many conservatives critical of the plan to
start using talking points from a playbook developed two decades ago by
Republican word-meister and messaging expert Frank Luntz -- a plan built
around repeating the poll-tested words "technology" and "innovation"
over and over and over.

In fact, some leading House Republicans have already started doing this.
Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR), Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI), and Rep. John Shimkus
(R-IL) published an a op-ed this week on the conservative website Real
Clear Policy that argues "Republicans Have Better Solutions to Climate
Change."

You'd be forgiven for thinking this was a parody, as it starts out quite
unexpectedly. The opening line reads: "Climate change is real, and as
Republican Leaders of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, we are
focused on solutions."

House energy leader praises fracking, warns against supporting renewables
In the real world, Walden, Upton, and Shimkus have all repeatedly voted
against amendments recognizing that climate change is real and have
taken money from the leading funders of climate denial, the
petrochemical and fossil fuel billionaire Koch brothers.

In 2011, for instance, Upton said of global warming, "I do not say that
it is man-made." Shimkus has said cutting CO2 emissions is "Taking away
plant food from the atmosphere" and said global warming won't destroy
the earth because "The earth will end only when God declares its time to
be over. Man will not destroy this earth." And in 2017, Walden actually
warned against supporting renewables.

So how do hardcore opponents of climate science and climate action
pretend they have solutions? It's all about "innovation," as the op-ed
makes clear:

We must address climate change in ways that focus on American prosperity
and technological capabilities while maintaining America's leadership in
clean and renewable energy innovation. By doubling down on innovation,
we can supply the world with new tools to combat emissions.

We should continue to encourage innovation and renewable energy development.

Walden and the others don't support the actual solution to global
warming -- which is deploying clean energy. But, beyond that, they don't
even support developing renewable energy. Instead, they want to
"encourage it."

If you are wondering why they repeat the word "innovation" three times
in three sentences -- and six times in the entire short op-ed -- it's
because they are likely following the script laid out by Luntz in an
infamous 2002 memo to conservatives and the George W. Bush White House.

In the memo, Luntz explained that the best way to pretend you care about
the climate and the environment -- while opposing regulations that might
actually do something to reduce pollution -- was to talk about
"technology and innovation." Indeed these words are a cornerstone of
Luntz's poll-tested euphemisms for "we want to sound like we care about
the climate, we just don't want to do anything about it."

In the memo's key paragraph, Luntz also repeats the word "innovation"
three times (emphasis in original).

    [here is the classic, archived, original document
    (Leaked) Luntz Republican Playbook
    https://www.scribd.com/document/70467439/Leaked-Luntz-Republican-Playbook
    ]

Technology and innovation are the key in arguments on both sides. Global
warming alarmists use American superiority in technology and innovation
quite effectively in responding to accusations that international
agreements such as the Kyoto accord could cost the United States
billions. Rather than condemning corporate America the way most
environmentalists have done in the past, they attack us for lacking
faith in our collective ability to meet any economic challenges
presented by environmental changes we make. This should be our argument.
We need to emphasize how voluntary innovation and experimentation are
preferable to bureaucratic or international intervention and regulation.

Yes, progressives do like to argue that; because of successful American
innovation and technology development efforts -- much of it backed by
the federal government -- it is now super-cheap to slash carbon pollution.

Of course, progressives like to argue this point because that's what all
of the major independent scientific and economic analyses show, and so
that's what every single major government in the world agrees is
actually true.

Indeed the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reviewed the
entire literature on the subject and concluded back in 2014 that the
annual loss to global economic growth from preserving a livable climate
would be a mere 0.06 percent -- and that's against a benefit of saving
billions of people from needless suffering for decades if not centuries.

And that was five years ago -- renewable energy and other core clean
technologies like batteries -- have dropped sharply in price since then.

That's why the key point for Luntz is that it is "voluntary innovation
and experimentation." Republican leaders don't actually want to require
people to replace dirty energy with clean energy. They just want to keep
experimenting.

Tragically, however, because we've ignored the science for a quarter
century, "technology and innovation" are not magic wands that can
preserve a livable climate without strong government programs to spur
deployment  --  such as a price on carbon or carbon pollution standards,
which these three politicians have long opposed.

Scientists say Ocasio-Cortez's dire climate warning is spot on
And so in the end, the three Republican politicians falsely claim "the
Green New Deal is a policy of regulation, taxation, and ultimately,
economic stagnation."

But in fact, it is the opposite. It is a policy to finally take
advantage of the remarkable innovation and technological development led
by America to solve the gravest problem facing the country.

But true action like this is something these three Republicans could
never endorse, and so they conclude with more Luntz-inspired pablum free
from specifics and substance.

Americans deserve better. That's why we back sensible, realistic, and
effective policies to tackle climate change. Let's encourage American
industry to do its part through innovation. Let's focus on community
preparedness. Let's harness our great American ingenuity to develop new
tools that we can market to the world, as we've done before.

Republicans don't have a solution but they are really good at staying on
message. As ThinkProgress reported back in 2007, the "technology trap"
is where the hypothetical promise of future innovation in carbon-free
technology is used as an excuse to reject immediate action on climate
change with the carbon-free technology we already have.

Luntz himself reiterated this advice in an early 2005 strategy document
entitled "An Energy Policy for the 21st Century." In it he wrote
"Innovation and 21st-century technology should be at the core of your
energy policy." Luntz repeated the word "technology" thirty times in
that document.

Then, in an April 2005 speech describing his proposed energy policy,
Bush repeated the word 'technology' more than forty times. Business Week
at the time pointed out that Bush was following Luntz's script and noted
"what's most striking about Bush's Apr. 27 speech is how closely it
follows the script written by Luntz earlier this year." The article,
titled "Bush Is Blowing Smoke on Energy," also pointed out "the
president's failure to propose any meaningful solutions."

The Luntz script seems to have worked to stall real action for a long
time. It remains to be seen if it will keep working now.
https://thinkprogress.org/republican-opposition-green-new-deal-conservative-luntz-innovation-technology-playbook-f6506e98e69f/

[Serious adaptation plans]
*Marshall Islands consider radical measures to survive rising sea levels*
February 23, 2019
Plans are underway for national talks on which of the 1,156 islands can
be elevated in a dramatic intervention
The far-flung Marshall Islands needs to raise its islands if it is to
avoid being drowned by rising sea levels, President Hilda Heine has warned.
- - -
To lay the foundations of the city--which is expected to accommodate
130,000 people when completed in 2023--sand is being pumped onto reefs
from surrounding atolls and it is being fortified with walls three
metres above sea level, which will make it higher than the tallest
natural island in the Maldives.

"Whatever approach is selected, it will involve selecting islands to
raise, add to, or build upon" Heine said.

"All Marshallese stakeholders, but especially traditional landowners,
need to be at the forefront of this discussion if we are ever going to
move the conversation forward."

The Marshall Islands also aims to increase engagement with the three
other all-atoll nations--Kiribati, Tuvalu and the Maldives--on climate
issues.

"As a group, the atoll nations need to come together to formulate their
unique concerns and develop their positions and plans and identify
financial needs related to climate impacts," said Heine, who chairs the
Coalition of Atoll Nations Against Climate Change.
Read more at:
https://phys.org/news/2019-02-marshall-islands-radical-survive-sea.html#jCp

[VOX]
*Pay attention to the growing wave of climate change lawsuits*
Kids, farmers, fishermen, cities, and states are suing the fossil fuel
industry and governments. Could they win?
By Umair Irfan  Feb 22, 2019

In 1998, 46 states and the District of Columbia signed on to the largest
civil litigation settlement in US history, the tobacco Master Settlement
Agreement. Stunning in its scope and scale, the agreement forced the
four largest tobacco companies to stop advertising to youth, limit
lobbying, restrict product placement in media, and fund anti-smoking
campaigns. It also required them to pay out more than $206 billion over
25 years.

Tobacco companies had in previous decades successfully swatted down
hundreds of private lawsuits. But states found an opening by suing
companies for the harm they caused to public health. "This lawsuit is
premised on a simple notion: You caused the health crisis, you pay for
it," said then-Mississippi Attorney General Michael Moore in 1994.

Now another wave of lawsuits is trying to hold powerful institutions
accountable for an even bigger crisis, by making them pay and change
their ways. At least eight US cities, five counties, and one state are
suing some of the world's largest fossil fuel companies for selling
products that contribute to global warming while misleading the public
about their harms. In parallel, 21 young people are trying to suspend
fossil fuel development as part of their high-profile climate rights
case, Juliana v. United States, against the government. (The case is
currently awaiting a hearing at the Ninth US Circuit Court of Appeals.)

And with several new Democratic attorneys general elected in the 2018
midterm elections, even more litigation may be on the horizon.

"It feels like there is a lot of climate change litigation right now,"
said Paul Sabin, a professor of environmental history at Yale. "But this
is only the beginning."

The momentum is building in other countries too. In Canada, the
Netherlands, and Ireland, citizens are taking their governments to court
to demand more ambitious policies to fight climate change.

At stake in these cases are billions of dollars in liability and legal
precedents that will last generations. For the plaintiffs -- children,
farmers, fishermen, and cities vulnerable to drought and sea level rise
-- weak federal climate policy and dire warnings from scientists about
the future are driving a sense of urgency. And litigation offers
something missing from every other climate change mitigation strategy,
whether it's the Green New Deal or a carbon tax: a villain.

"Big oil knew for decades that greenhouse gas pollution from their
operations and their products were having a significant and detrimental
impact on the earth's climate," Rhode Island Attorney General Peter F.
Kilmartin said last year from atop a seawall, announcing his state's
suit against companies like Exxon Mobil, Chevron, BP, and Royal Dutch
Shell. "Instead of working to reduce that harm, these companies chose to
conceal the dangers, undermine public support for greenhouse gas
regulation, and engage in massive campaigns to promote the
ever-increasing use of their products and ever-increasing revenues in
their pockets."

With so many lawsuits filed across so many jurisdictions, the likelihood
of a climate case getting to a trial is growing. Outside the courtroom,
public opinion is starting to shift, with a majority of Americans
wanting the government to address climate change, according to several
recent polls. The hope among the plaintiffs is that one of the suits
could lead to comprehensive action on climate change that the political
process has failed to provide.

However, the plaintiffs are in uncharted legal territory, and opponents
say these cases hinge on radical, unprecedented expansions of existing
laws. The litigation also circumvents the legislative process, which is
arguably where climate change policies should be implemented in the
first place.

As federal appeals courts weigh whether some of these lawsuits should be
allowed to go to trial, it's helpful to understand the background of
environmental litigation, the arguments being made, and what they could
mean for the fight against climate change. Here's what you need to know.

Environmental lawsuits have a long history, but climate liability and
climate rights are a new frontier
"Litigation has been a crucial strategy for environmental activism since
the '60s and the '70s," said Sabin, the Yale professor. In fact, we've
already seen a successful lawsuit centering on climate change. The
Environmental Protection Agency was forced to regulate carbon dioxide to
fight climate change as the result of a 2007 Supreme Court decision in a
lawsuit, Massachusetts v. EPA. It's the most significant example of a
climate change mitigation policy established through the courts.

One of the earliest cases to invoke harm caused by greenhouse gases
dates back to 1986. In the City of Los Angeles v. National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration lawsuit, the city and environmental
organizations challenged NHTSA's rollback of a vehicle emissions law. An
appeals court ruled in favor of the federal government.

But the current wave of litigation is bringing up new legal questions in
the context of climate change for the first time. For local governments
suing fossil fuel companies, the fight is over who's on the hook for
paying for the damages stemming from rising average temperatures. In the
youth lawsuits, the key issue is whether a stable climate is a civil right.

Another interesting factor in these cases is that climate science itself
isn't up for debate. The lawsuits center on some fundamental
interpretations of law, but in nearly all cases, the parties agree on
these facts: Greenhouse gases from burning fossil fuels are heating up
the planet, which in turn is fueling sea level rise, more extreme
weather, and changes in the overall climate.

In San Francisco and Oakland's lawsuits against oil companies, for
example, the presiding federal judge even asked for a climate change
tutorial from the plaintiffs and the defendants. Both sides largely
agreed on the fundamentals.

"Chevron accepts the consensus in the scientific communities on climate
change," said Theodore Boutrous, an attorney who presented a climate
tutorial on behalf of Chevron last year and agreed with the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's conclusions that human
activity is warming the planet. "There's no debate about climate science."

The dispute, then, is over how to apply existing laws. Since the legal
principles these lawsuits invoke have never been applied to climate
change, the outcomes stand to set huge legal precedents. Depending on
how they're decided, these lawsuits could open the floodgates to new
litigation. At the same time, judges are uncertain about how to proceed
and have reached widely differing conclusions on similar lawsuits. Which
is why the tension and drama around these suits is so high, compared to
a fight over, say, a carbon tax.

The plaintiffs in the suits against the government and against fossil
fuel producers all say that their objective is to see the cases through
to the end, but they stand to accomplish a lot well before the cases
come to fruition.

"I think that litigation serves multiple goals," Sabin said. Beyond
winning the case, forcing powerful businesses and institutions to
publicly grapple with their impact on the planet is an end unto itself.
The discovery process where parties have to reveal some of their inner
workings could also be enlightening. "Those [goals] include framing an
issue in a public setting, drawing attention an issue. They include
uncovering documents and revealing what's been going on."

Local governments are suing fossil fuel companies for posing a public
nuisance with their products
So far, 14 US cities, counties, and one state have sued fossil fuel
companies. Most of these cases are still undergoing pretrial legal
motions. The lawsuits brought by the cities of San Francisco and Oakland
were dismissed but are being appealed.

In these cases, the local governments are claiming fossil fuel producers
have created a public nuisance. This refers to an activity that impairs
the use of a public good through damage, creating hazards, and reducing
comfort. It's a principle that's long been used to litigate
environmental issues from protecting drinking water to controlling air
pollution.

The argument in these cases is that fossil fuel companies have known for
years that their products release greenhouse gases that warm the planet,
which in turn harms the public interest: Rising seas are encroaching on
shoreline properties, and drier weather is increasing wildfire risks for
homes.

At the same time, the plaintiffs say, coal miners and oil drillers
obfuscated their products' impact on the environment despite their own
internal research showing that carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuels
is warming the planet. "The bottom line story is: 'You made this
product. You knew while making this product that it was going to cause
these horrific problems. And you did not tell anyone,'" said David
Bookbinder, chief counsel at the Niskanen Center.

The state of Rhode Island, for instance, filed suit in
Providence/Bristol County Superior Court against 14 oil and gas
companies last year. The complaint notes that the state has more than
400 miles of coastline threatened by sea level rise as warmer
temperatures melt polar ice. That in turn is fueling larger storm
surges, saltwater intrusion, erosion, and nuisance flooding. More carbon
dioxide in the atmosphere is also making the ocean more acidic,
threatening shellfish in the Narragansett Bay.

The complaint alleges that many of these fossil fuel companies knew
about how their products caused climate change decades ago but hid that
information, even as they started protecting their own facilities from
consequences like rising oceans and melting polar ice. More recently,
oil companies have even asked for government funding to build sea walls
to protect coastal refineries from these climate change impacts.

"By 1988, Defendants had amassed a compelling body of knowledge,
unavailable to the general public and the broader scientific community,
about the role of anthropogenic greenhouse gases and specifically those
emitted from the normal use of Defendants' fossil fuel product, in
causing global warming," according to Rhode Island's complaint.
"Defendants took affirmative steps to conceal, from the State and the
general public, the foreseeable impacts of the use of their fossil fuel
products on the Earth's climate and associated harms to people and
communities."

As recourse, Rhode Island wants oil companies to pay for sea walls and
other infrastructure to protect human safety and property as well as
punitive damages.

Fossil fuel companies say that climate change is too big a problem for
the courtroom
The obvious counterargument is that humanity has also benefited
immensely from fossil fuels. Coal, oil, and natural gas have provided
lifesaving, economy-boosting heat and electricity to billions. The
companies extracting these fuels say they would be out of business if
people weren't buying what they're selling.

And it's not just the SUVs that run on gasoline or the power plants that
burn coal that are driving climate change; it's the way we build our
roads to accommodate cars rather than public transit, design our cities
for sprawl rather than density, and orient our diets around meat and
dairy instead of vegetables, fruits, and grains.

According to fossil fuel producers, putting companies on trial before a
judge and jury doesn't come anywhere near close enough to solving the
problem, nor does it achieve justice.

Joshua Lipshutz, an attorney at the Gibson Dunn law firm who served as
legal counsel for Chevron, has argued that climate change is a
fundamentally different animal compared to past applications of public
nuisance torts. Usually, such rules are applied to a specific instance
of pollution, like a leaking gas pipe. This problem has a defined scope
(the amount of gas released), it was something that wasn't supposed to
happen, and there's a specific solution (fixing the pipe, and if
negligence is found, making the polluter pay a fine).

However, with climate change, the plaintiffs are seeking damages for
future harms, things that have not occurred yet. They're also blaming a
form of pollution, greenhouse gases, that can't be attributed to any one
entity. Cars, airplanes, furnaces, and power plants all emit carbon
dioxide. The US isn't the only country spewing carbon dioxide, and none
of the plaintiffs are seeking an injunction against producing even more
fossil fuels.

Another complicating factor is that every tier of government has pursued
policies that have encouraged the use of fossil fuels, from building
highways to subsidizing airports to constructing greenhouse gas-emitting
power plants. So if an oil and gas company can be held liable for carbon
dioxide emissions, so too perhaps can city governments, power companies,
and automakers.

"The plaintiff's theory, if you take it to its natural conclusion, you
can bring this lawsuit against anyone," Lipshutz said. "This really is
sort of an unprecedented type of lawsuit where you're seeking to
[punish] an important part of our economy that's perfectly lawful ...
and for companies to pay for future damage that has not yet occurred."

But as specious as oil companies may think these suits are, they are
taking them extremely seriously. Exxon Mobil, the world's largest
investor-owned oil company, launched a million-dollar push last year for
carbon tax legislation that includes immunity from climate
change-related lawsuits. Exxon is also facing lawsuits for allegedly
misleading investors about the risks of climate change to its business
as well as the risks of future climate regulations. (Exxon did not
respond to requests for comment.)

Fighting these cases also costs these companies, in time, money, and
unwanted attention in the spotlight, so there's pressure to end these
lawsuits quickly. "The longer the cases against oil companies drag on,
the less happy investors will be," said Daniel Farber of the Center for
Law, Energy, and the Environment at the University of California Berkeley.

As for the courts, judges can't even agree on who has jurisdiction over
these kinds of lawsuits. At the US District Court for the Northern
District of California, one judge, William Alsup, decided to move
lawsuit from San Francisco and the City of Oakland against oil companies
to federal court. He later dismissed the claim on the merits.

Another federal judge at the same court, Vince Chhabria, sent climate
lawsuits filed by Marin and San Mateo counties as well as the city of
Imperial Beach against 37 fossil fuel companies to California state court.

Both sets of decisions are being appealed at the Ninth Circuit Court of
Appeals.

In these public nuisance lawsuits, the plaintiffs believe they have a
better shot of winning their cases in state courts. The defendants think
their case is stronger in federal courts and have pushed for federal
courts to hear these cases when they've been filed in lower courts. "The
reality is, we think that ultimately it shouldn't matter whether the
cases should be heard in state court or federal court," Lipshutz said.
"They are not viable legal claims."

Fossil fuel companies also say that long-shot lawsuits, especially when
they come from states, counties, and cities, are a waste of the public's
money and time that would be better devoted to adapting to climate
change and directly mitigating emissions.

"Focusing resources on a novel, never-accepted theory just isn't the way
to have a productive chance at really addressing global warming,"
Chevron's Boutrous told Vox last year. "No tort theory has ever been
developed that comes close to covering these issues."

But even if these climate lawsuits aren't decided in favor of cities or
states, the discovery process, where the defendants may be required to
turn over internal documents to the court, could create new lines of
attack. Already, we've seen leaked internal documents from oil companies
spur lawsuits, so further revelations could lead to even more
litigation. That's why the fossil fuel companies named in these suits
are rushing to have these suits thrown out before they actually begin.

The children's climate change lawsuit against the federal government is
facing a make-or-break ruling this year
In 2015, 21 plaintiffs filed a lawsuit against the federal government in
the United States District Court in Oregon. The plaintiffs, now between
the ages of 11 and 22, include Sophie Kivlehan, 20, the granddaughter of
the famed climate scientist James Hansen, and Kelsey Cascadia Rose
Juliana, 22, the namesake of the case Juliana v. US. The case is backed
by the nonprofit Our Children's Trust, which has also backed similar
suits in eight other states.

The suit argues that the US government undertook policies that
contributed to climate change. This includes leasing public lands for
mining, drilling, and fracking to extract fossil fuel. The complaint
notes that the federal government has long known about the consequences
of burning fossil fuels, namely climate change.

By pursuing these policies, the federal government is denying young
people the constitutional right to a public resource, a safe climate.

"That's the brilliance of having children as the plaintiffs," said Ann
Carlson, a professor of environmental law at the University of
California Los Angeles. "They're arguing about the future of the planet."

For the plaintiffs, the goalposts are clear. "The issue here is climate
change and the only measure of success is when this federal government
starts recognizing its lengthy responsibility in action in causing
climate change and a plan is implemented to cease emissions," said
Philip Gregory, one of the lead attorneys representing the children in
the suit. That would mean a suite of aggressive policies to limit global
warming.

In a surprising move, the Supreme Court stepped in to pause Juliana v.
US last year just days before the trial was set to begin. Then suddenly
the high court allowed it to go ahead. Then in November, the Ninth
Circuit paused the case to hear an appeal from the federal government.
That appeals process is still underway.

The key argument from the children is that the federal government
violated the civil rights of the plaintiffs. Gregory drew an analogy to
racial discrimination:

Let's say the federal government develops a parking lot, and it leases a
restaurant in the parking lot, and that restaurant even though it's
privately owned, engages in segregation. Let's just say that. Well
that's a constitutional violation that the government is leasing
property that is causing harm. That harm being segregation. So now let's
change the words. The federal government has federal lands that it's
leasing to companies to remove coal that the federal government knows
will be burned and cause fossil fuel emissions which will harm children
and future generations. The federal government knows that.

It's this knowledge of resulting harm -- harm that the government has
studied for decades -- that makes the federal government liable for the
fossil fuel emissions resulting from its policies, Gregory argues. And
not only did the government know about the harms of fossil fuels, it has
had a growing suite of alternatives at its disposal. "What we're saying
here is the evidence is uncontradicted that we have viable alternatives
to a fossil fuel energy system," Gregory said.

This is a new, untested argument, and it could set a precedent. "It's
clear that federal courts in the United States have not previously
recognized a constitutional right to a clean environment or to a stable
climate system," said Michael Burger, executive director of the Sabin
Center for Climate Change Law at Columbia University. "In my view there
is a compelling legal argument for it."

Asked for comment, the Justice Department referred Vox to an 82-page
brief filed in its appeal of the suit before the Ninth Circuit. The
brief, presented by acting Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Bossert
Clark, outlines a number of counterarguments.

The first is that the plaintiffs don't have standing and cannot
demonstrate a particular injury since climate change is something that
affects the whole world in complicated ways. The Justice Department
argues that the plaintiffs didn't go through the proper regulatory
channels outlined under the Administrative Procedure Act and that the
Constitution doesn't hold any right to a stable climate system.

"Plaintiffs' alleged fundamental right to a 'livable climate' finds no
basis in this Nation's history or tradition and is not even close to any
other fundamental right recognized by the Supreme Court," Clark's filing
states.

The Justice Department is also arguing that existing laws such as the
Clean Air Act already cover climate change.

The question now is how the federal appeals court will weigh these
arguments later this spring.

Fishermen and farmers are also suing for damages caused by climate change
There are numerous other climate change liability lawsuits pending in
the US and around the world, but the circumstances around them are more
unique.

A group of Oregon and California fishermen, represented by the largest
commercial fishing industry trade group on the West Coast, filed a
lawsuit in California Superior Court against 30 fossil fuel companies.
Rising carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are causing the ocean to
warm and to acidify, and fishermen's yields of valuable catches like
Dungeness crab are declining, the group noted. The Pacific Coast has
already seen blooms of toxic algae spurred by warmer oceans. That algae
has in turn made it unsafe to eat many of the fish and other animals in
the water.

Unlike the lawsuits filed by the cities, the fishermen can point to
direct monetary harm that has already occurred from warming. Several
heat waves have struck the Pacific Ocean since 2014. The crab fishing
season in 2015 was delayed due to the presence of an algae neurotoxin in
shellfish. The delay forced some fishing operations ashore for good
while harming the finances of others.

These damages may give the case stronger legal footing, but it's still
too early to tell how the lawsuit will proceed.

Meanwhile, citizens in the Netherlands, Ireland, and Pakistan have sued
their governments for failing to address climate change. The government
of the Philippines is currently conducting a human rights inquiry into
fossil fuel producers and weighing whether to enter litigation against
these companies.

Saul Luciano Lliuya, a farmer in Peru, is suing the German energy giant
RWE. The glaciers in the Andes mountains have lost half of their ice in
the past 40 years, and he was worried that this would brings risks of
landslides and flooding to his hometown of Huaraz, home to 120,000 people.

In 2015, he filed suit against RWE, a company with about $50 billion in
annual revenue, for $20,000, the estimated cost to build a dam to
control flooding around his city. RWE produces about 73 percent of its
electricity from fossil fuels. It's also headquartered in Essen, 6,500
miles away from Huaraz.

Yet surprisingly, a German court ruled in 2017 that the case has merit
and is now collecting evidence for the proceedings.

For activists, climate lawsuits are a high-stakes, high-reward gambit
"These cases are sort of on the cutting edge," said Farber, of the
Berkeley law center. "I think it's kind of a long shot that they're
actually going to succeed in the end, although maybe a long shot worth
taking just because the payoff would be so great."...
Climate change lawsuits could lead to multibillion-dollar payouts, and
force an unwilling government to make cutting greenhouse gases a central
priority. Both types of cases could set precedents that would last for
decades. But litigation takes years of effort and can cost millions. If
a court or a jury rules against the plaintiffs, they could end up worse
off than when they started.

Given recent history, many of the nuisance lawsuits against fossil fuel
companies will likely be tossed out. But it only takes one successful
case to set an industry-rocking precedent.

And a successful lawsuit still might not address the underlying problem
of greenhouse gas emissions, which are still rising in the US and still
need a comprehensive policy solution.

"These cases are one moment in time in something that's going to be
going on for 100 years," Yale's Sabin said. "So whether they win or not,
they're part of that longer process and if they win, they'll reshape the
conversation."
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/2/22/17140166/climate-change-lawsuit-exxon-juliana-liability-kids

[PETM = 56 million years ago ]
*Carbon Emissions Are Now 10x Higher Than When The Arctic Had Crocodiles
And Palm Trees*
https://www.sciencealert.com/carbon-emissions-today-are-vastly-worse-than-earth-s-last-warming-event
--- -
[AGU Journal]
Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology
Research Article  Free Access
*Temporal Scaling of Carbon Emission and Accumulation Rates: Modern
Anthropogenic Emissions Compared to Estimates of PETM‐Onset Accumulation*

*Abstract*
The Paleocene‐Eocene thermal maximum (PETM) was caused by a massive
release of carbon to the atmosphere. This is a benchmark global
greenhouse warming event that raised temperatures to their warmest
since extinction of the dinosaurs. Rates of carbon emission today
can be compared to those during onset of the PETM in two ways: (1)
projection of long‐term PETM rates for comparison on an annual time
scale; and (2) projection of short‐term modern rates for comparison
on a PETM time scale. Both require temporal scaling and
extrapolation for comparison on the same time scale. PETM rates are
few and projection to a short time scale is poorly constrained.
Modern rates are many and projection to a longer PETM time scale is
tightly constrained -- modern rates are some 9–10 times higher than
those during onset of the PETM. If the present trend of
anthropogenic emissions continues, we can expect to reach a
PETM‐scale accumulation of atmospheric carbon in as few as 140 to
259 years (about 5 to 10 human generations).

*Plain Language Summary*
The Paleocene‐Eocene thermal maximum (PETM) is a global greenhouse
warming event that happened 56 million years ago, causing extinction
in the world's oceans and accelerated evolution on the continents.
It was caused by release of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse
gases to the atmosphere. When we compare the rate of release of
greenhouse gases today to the rate of accumulation during the PETM
we must compare the rates on a common time scale. Projection of
modern rates to a PETM time scale is tightly constrained and shows
that we are now emitting carbon some 9‐10 times faster than during
the PETM. If the present trend of increasing carbon emissions
continues, we may see PETM‐magnitude extinction and accelerated
evolution in as few as 140 years or about five human generations.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1029/2018PA003379

*This Day in Climate History - February 25, 2005 - from D.R. Tucker*
  In a piece on state-level efforts to address carbon pollution, the
Boston Phoenix's Deirdre Fulton notes:

"Though the United States accounts for almost 25 percent -- more
than any other single country -- of the world's global-warming
emissions, advocates say there's been little federal action on this
issue since at least 2001. That's when George W. Bush, echoing
concerns that had also been voiced by his predecessor Bill Clinton,
opted out of Kyoto, citing national economic concerns and calling on
developing nations to commit to greater sacrifices than they do
under the current agreement. No wonder China, India, Mexico, and
Brazil signed on, say US and Australian leaders. They have much less
to lose as more stringent emissions regulations go into effect for
other nations worldwide.

"The US position may or may not be fair, but we do know this much:
it doesn't move us very far toward addressing the looming problem of
global warming. And that makes regional and state-level efforts all
the more important."

http://web.archive.org/web/20050315235150/http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/other_stories/multi_3/documents/04495072.asp