[TheClimate.Vote] January 2, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Jan 2 09:54:51 EST 2019

/January 2, 2019/

[Listen up, parents]
*Kids, it's time to give your parents 'the talk.' Not that one, the one
on climate change.*
Michael A. Smyer, Opinion contributor Published 6:00 a.m. ET Dec. 20, 2018
Confronting your family and leaving them upset is not the goal. Keep it
positive, and you might be surprised by what happens next.

My first-year Bucknell University students were nervous about their
assignment: Interview someone in your family about climate change. Only
one rule: It had to be someone 50 or older. It had to be
intergenerational. If I could, I'd give everyone the same homework
assignment this holiday season.

Yes, we need national and international action to solve the climate
dilemmas we face. That's what the 24th Conference of the Parties to the
United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP24), which
wrapped up Sunday, has been all about. But each of us also needs to talk
about the issues with our family and friends, because those
conversations are what will lead to concrete changes in our daily lives,
specific next steps for making our lives more sustainable and eventually
political action to ensure a more sustainable country.

The day after Thanksgiving, when the Trump administration released the
Fourth National Climate Assessment, many of my students were talking to
their parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends or neighbors.

The class was ready for the conversation. They had reviewed the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report, released in October,
highlighting the need for "rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes
in all aspects of society." They knew the near universal consensus among
climate scientists that climate change is extremely likely to be
human-caused. They had reviewed public opinion data from the Yale
Program on Climate Change Communication for their own state, county, and
congressional district, so they knew what their neighbors thought about
climate change and the policies they endorsed in response.

The conversation Americans aren't having
But they also knew that most of us avoid talking about climate change:
Less than a third of Americans (31 percent) talk about global warming at
least occasionally with family members or friends, according to a Yale
Program on Climate Change Communication survey. That's why I wanted them
to have "the conversation." Because talking with others is the first
step from anxiety to action. It lets others know how concerned we are,
lets us hear their concerns and  what they support, and starts us
planning our next steps toward sustainability.

Maybe parents and grandparents aren't talking to young adults because
they're worried about adding anxiety. The irony is that silence only
makes it worse — the generations don't realize that they share a deep
concern, that they are actually doing something about it, and that
together they can do more and demand more from our leaders.

So how did it go? Really well! Not one student got turned down. Lesson
No. 1: If you ask a family member or friend to spend a few minutes
talking with you, chances are they will say yes, especially if it's an
invitation across generations.

The students' biggest take-away, however, was surprise: Their
interviewees were already taking actions like planting trees, changing
their air filters, eating less meat, reducing their driving or changing
to solar power. They were surprised because, as the students put it,
their families never spoke about it. And that's the point. Many of us
are absorbing the enormity of climate change in isolation, not realizing
that others are also concerned and taking action.

Everyday actions add up
Here are three steps to starting your own climate conversation this
holiday season:

    *First, keep it social*. Focus on people and places that you and
    your family care about. With my students, I began by asking them to
    imagine a place that has special meaning for them and to envision
    the impact of extreme weather or climate change on that place.

    *Second, keep it short in terms of time frame, three or four
    generations at the most*. Our class interview assignment focused on
    the next 40-50 years at the places they cared about. One student
    told me that this short-term view had a strong impact on her
    grandfather. He considered life for his child and grandchildren in
    the next 50 years and was upset about what it may look like.

    *Third, keep it positive*. Leaving parents and grandparents upset is
    not your goal. Instead, help them see that they don't need to solve
    climate change in one day or one step. They just need to take a next
    step. The Alliance for Climate Education, for example, urges
    students and teachers to do one thing. As they put it: "Everyday
    actions add up."

My students used climate action cards and asked their friends and
relatives to identify one next step, to move one card from "could do" to
"will do". Some chose political action (like joining a climate
organization or joining a climate demonstration). Others chose simple
acts such as washing clothes in cold water and using public
transportation. One of my students put it well: It's not important what
you're doing now, but what you do to move ahead.

Not sure what your next step should be or what to recommend?
Environmental groups have lists of things you can do online and in your
everyday life.

Are you a parent or grandparent who wants to start a conversation with
kids, but not sure where to start? You're in luck! The Climate Reality
Project has developed "Beginning the Climate Conversation," a family
guide with advice and activities for meeting kids where they are.

The holidays are a perfect time to have a sit down. Just ask your
relatives and friends to think and talk about a place they care about.
And ask them what's next. You may be surprised by what happens.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2018/12/20/climate-change-talk-report-students-column/2350167002/

[Excellent set of videos from Peter Hadfield - a British freelance
journalist and author, trained as a geologist, who runs the YouTube
channel Potholer54]
*A CONSERVATIVE solution to global warming part 1*
potholer54 - Published on Sep 2, 2018 - (21 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99qI42KGB0
[Part 2]
*A conservative solution to climate change - part 2*
potholer54 - Published on Jan 1, 2019
(Sources that are clearly displayed in the video description are not
listed.)
https://youtu.be/6fV6eeckxTs

[a great document to share with kids]
*BEGINNING THE **CLIMATE CONVERSATION*
In this guide, we discuss when to start the climate conversation and how to
approach the topic with children. It is not designed as a substitute for
formal
science instruction. Our goal is to help you navigate a tricky topic so
your children
can grow into informed young people excited to learn more about how they can
make the world a better place...
https://www.climaterealityproject.org/sites/default/files/kidsandclimatechangee-book.pdf

CLIMATE REALITY EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES:
*CLIMATE CRISIS 101: HOW YOU CAN TAKE ACTION: *
In Climate Crisis 101, we outline the basics of climate change in plain
language, and provide tips on
how to take action. This resource answers key questions like: What do we
mean by
"climate change"? What are the causes of climate change? And how do we know
climate change is happening?
https://www.climaterealityproject.org/sites/climaterealityproject.org/files/Climate%20101_FINAL.pdf

*RIGHT UNDER YOUR FEET: SOIL HEALTH AND THE CLIMATE CRISIS*:
We're already beginning to see what a warmer future has in store for us
- and
it's not a pleasant sight. Learn more about climate change's impact on soil
health, what's at stake, and what you can do to support a world where we can
provide our booming population with fresh, healthy food grown in a
sustainable
soil ecosystem.
http://www.climaterealityproject.org/sites/climaterealityproject.org/files/Soil%20Health%20and%20Climate%20Change.pdf

*CLIMATE CHANGE AND THE WATER CYCLE: FOUR BIG QUESTIONS ANSWERED:*
The climate crisis is impacting weather patterns and the water
cycle in dangerous ways. Some of these impacts can be hard to
understand. Why
does climate change increase our risk of both heavy rains and extreme
droughts?
Aren't the two contradictory? Get the answers to these questions and
much more.
https://www.climaterealityproject.org/sites/climaterealityproject.org/files/WaterCycle.pdf

*EXTREME WEATHER AND THE CLIMATE CRISIS: WHAT YOU NEED **TO KNOW:*
Is climate change really making weather more extreme? The simple
answer is yes. In this e-book, we explain in plain language how burning
fossil fuels is driving climate change and making our weather more intense
and dangerous.
https://www.climaterealityproject.org/sites/default/files/ExtremeWeatherandtheClimateCrisisEBook.pdf

[OTA from 1993 to 1995]
*In 1993 my agency warned of climate change. In 1995 it was abolished*
William Westermeyer - Thu 27 Dec 2018
The US Office of Technology Assessment should be revived - in 2019 the
world will need its expertise more than ever

Many agree that one of the most pressing problems the world faces today
is climate change. The question of what to do about it, however, has
become highly politicised. Scepticism about climate change is typically
a conservative position and trust in the conclusions of the scientific
community a more progressive one. While this politicisation is perhaps
most evident in the United States, it is well known in many other countries.

But this wasn't always the case. Between 1972 and 1995, a US agency
named the Office of Technology Assessment (OTA) existed to provide the
practical means to help overcome such politicisation. During its 23-year
existence, the OTA was in a unique position to assist members of
Congress in understanding complex issues in science and technology.

Risks of 'domino effect' of tipping points greater than thought, study says
The OTA was a non-partisan agency governed by a technology assessment
board which consisted of of equal numbers of senators and
representatives and equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans. Its
assessments strove for objectivity and comprehensiveness, and were
considered state-of-the-art documents by many. The OTA provided
Congress, at its request, with the information and options it needed for
the issues with which it was grappling, but it was careful never to tell
Congress what it should do. The methodology that OTA used was widely
admired and imitated in the parliamentary units that many European
countries established following OTA's lead.

In the early 1990s there was still Congressional interest in taking
action on climate change, which most of the scientific community already
understood would become a major problem if not addressed. Thus, in
October 1993, the OTA published a two-volume, 700-page report, Preparing
for an Uncertain Climate, at the request of three Congressional
committees. I was a principal author. The report identified more than
100 options to help coastal areas, water resource systems, agriculture,
wetlands, forests, and federally protected natural areas adapt to
climate change. Not only that, but the OTA had also proposed - in its
comprehensive 1991 assessment, Changing by Degrees - steps to reduce
emissions of greenhouse gases that would help the US avoid climate change.

Imagine where we would be now if Congress had begun to address climate
change at the time of these reports (and the early reports of other
organisations, such as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change).

Instead, the OTA was abolished in 1995, shortly after Republicans retook
control of Congress and Newt Gingrich became speaker of the House of
Representatives. At the time, the OTA was one of the most respected
agencies in Washington.

Many reasons have been suggested for the move, but it mostly came down
to a change in attitude towards the value of science and analysis in
Congress. The OTA's abolition was the proverbial canary in the coalmine
with respect to the current anti-science attitude among many
conservatives in and out of Congress. Since the 1990s, the pace of
technological change has continued to accelerate, but few in Congress
have the scientific or technological background to understand the new
developments.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/27/1993-agency-climate-change-abolished-office-technology-assessment

[Silencing Science Tracker]
*Access to BLM Conservation Website Blocked During Government Shutdown*
Citing the government shutdown, the DOI's Bureau of Land Management
blocked access to a website, containing links to documents discussing
proposed changes to the conservation rules for greater sage grouse
habitat. The block, which appears to violate DOI guidance, was
implemented despite the fact that DOI is currently accepting comments on
the proposed rule changes.
http://columbiaclimatelaw.com/silencing-science-tracker/access-to-blm-conservation-website-blocked-during-government-shutdown/

[classic comparison]*
**What the Believers Are Denying*
The denial of climate change and the denial of racism rest on the same
foundation: an attack on observable reality.
Ibram X. Kendi, Director of the Antiracist Research and Policy Center at
American University
- - -
Do not get me wrong. We should not follow all scientific pronouncements
blindly. I am not saying every scientist and scientific consensus is
indisputable. For decades before the publication of Charles Darwin's On
the Origin of Species in 1859, the scientific consensus of polygenesis
found that the races were separate species with separate origins. At the
turn of the 20th century, the scientific consensus of social Darwinism
found the white race had been naturally selected for the highest
evolution. After World War II, the scientific consensus of black
cultural pathology urged African Americans to assimilate into white America.

But scientific anti-racists on the margins did not respond to mainstream
scientific racists by saying they didn't believe their findings, by
spinning out easily disprovable alternative facts, by walking away.

It is one thing to disbelieve scientific findings. It is yet another
thing to dispute scientific findings. We dispute on the basis of
training and expertise; by conducting and finding and presenting
evidence; and by challenging assumptions, flawed study designs, and
analyses of findings. Unlike disbelieving, disputing produces an
intellectual exchange among open-minded scientists. Only the
disbelievers, some of whom pose as scientists, are closed-minded and
unwilling to change their mind in response to new evidence.

In order to reinforce the scientific certainty that human action and
inaction are disastrously warming the globe and racist action and
inaction are disastrously causing racial inequities, environmentalists
and anti-racists must separate belief from science. Instead of caring
about belief, environmentalists and anti-racists should care about
knowledge, especially our own. Instead of asking, "Are you a racist?" we
should be asking, "What is a racist?" Instead of asking, "Do you believe
in climate change?" we should be asking, "What does climate change look
like?"

To disconnect science from belief, environmentalists and anti-racists
must disconnect the disbelievers from the power to make racial and
climate policy. When disbelievers take power, they will always believe
in the business of reproducing disbelief. Environmentalists and
anti-racists must be in the business of reproducing humanity.

We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to
the editor or write to letters at theatlantic.com.
IBRAM X. KENDI is a professor and the director of The Antiracist
Research and Policy Center at American University.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/01/what-deniers-climate-change-and-racism-share/579190/

[US Government buried what we knew in 1993]
*Preparing for an Uncertain Climate—Vol. I*
October 1993
Preparing for an Uncertain Climate is OTA'S second report on climate
change. In
1991, we published Changing by Degrees: Steps to Reduce Greenhouse Gases,
which focused on ways to reduce the buildup of greenhouse gases in the
atmosphere. Slowing the rate of growth in these emissions continues to
be very
important, but most analyses conclude that despite i
https://ota.fas.org/reports/9338.pdf
[blame Newt Gingrich?]

[From the 2018 archive - Industry buried what it learned in 1959]
*On its 100th birthday in 1959, Edward Teller warned the oil industry
about global warming*
Somebody cut the cake - new documents reveal that American oil writ
large was warned of global warming at its 100th birthday party.
Benjamin Franta - 1 Jan 2018
It was a typical November day in New York City. The year: 1959. Robert
Dunlop, 50 years old and photographed later as clean-shaven, hair
carefully parted, his earnest face donning horn-rimmed glasses, passed
under the Ionian columns of Columbia University's iconic Low Library. He
was a guest of honor for a grand occasion: the centennial of the
American oil industry.

Over 300 government officials, economists, historians, scientists, and
industry executives were present for the Energy and Man symposium -
organized by the American Petroleum Institute and the Columbia Graduate
School of Business - and Dunlop was to address the entire congregation
on the "prime mover" of the last century - energy - and its major
source: oil. As President of the Sun Oil Company, he knew the business
well, and as al director of the American Petroleum Institute - the
industry's largest and oldest trade association in the land of Uncle Sam
- he was responsible for representing the interests of all those many
oilmen gathered around him.

Four others joined Dunlop at the podium that day, one of whom had made
the journey from California - and Hungary before that. The nuclear
weapons physicist Edward Teller had, by 1959, become ostracized by the
scientific community for betraying his colleague J. Robert Oppenheimer,
but he retained the embrace of industry and government. Teller's task
that November fourth was to address the crowd on "energy patterns of the
future," and his words carried an unexpected warning:

Ladies and gentlemen, I am to talk to you about energy in the future. I
will start by telling you why I believe that the energy resources of the
past must be supplemented. First of all, these energy resources will run
short as we use more and more of the fossil fuels. [....] But I would
[...] like to mention another reason why we probably have to look for
additional fuel supplies. And this, strangely, is the question of
contaminating the atmosphere. [....] Whenever you burn conventional
fuel, you create carbon dioxide. [....] The carbon dioxide is invisible,
it is transparent, you can't smell it, it is not dangerous to health, so
why should one worry about it?

Carbon dioxide has a strange property. It transmits visible light but it
absorbs the infrared radiation which is emitted from the earth. Its
presence in the atmosphere causes a greenhouse effect [....] It has been
calculated that a temperature rise corresponding to a 10 per cent
increase in carbon dioxide will be sufficient to melt the icecap and
submerge New York. All the coastal cities would be covered, and since a
considerable percentage of the human race lives in coastal regions, I
think that this chemical contamination is more serious than most people
tend to believe.

How, precisely, Mr. Dunlop and the rest of the audience reacted is
unknown, but it's hard to imagine this being welcome news. After his
talk, Teller was asked to "summarize briefly the danger from increased
carbon dioxide content in the atmosphere in this century." The
physicist, as if considering a numerical estimation problem, responded:

At present the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has risen by 2 per cent
over normal. By 1970, it will be perhaps 4 per cent, by 1980, 8 per
cent, by 1990, 16 per cent [about 360 parts per million, by Teller's
accounting], if we keep on with our exponential rise in the use of
purely conventional fuels. By that time, there will be a serious
additional impediment for the radiation leaving the earth. Our planet
will get a little warmer. It is hard to say whether it will be 2 degrees
Fahrenheit or only one or 5.

But when the temperature does rise by a few degrees over the whole
globe, there is a possibility that the icecaps will start melting and
the level of the oceans will begin to rise. Well, I don't know whether
they will cover the Empire State Building or not, but anyone can
calculate it by looking at the map and noting that the icecaps over
Greenland and over Antarctica are perhaps five thousand feet thick.

And so, at its hundredth birthday party, American oil was warned of its
civilization-destroying potential.

Talk about a buzzkill.

How did the petroleum industry respond? Eight years later, on a cold,
clear day in March, Robert Dunlop walked the halls of the U.S. Congress.
The 1967 oil embargo was weeks away, and the Senate was investigating
the potential of electric vehicles. Dunlop, testifying now as the
Chairman of the Board of the American Petroleum Institute, posed the
question, "tomorrow's car: electric or gasoline powered?" His preferred
answer was the latter:

We in the petroleum industry are convinced that by the time a practical
electric car can be mass-produced and marketed, it will not enjoy any
meaningful advantage from an air pollution standpoint. Emissions from
internal-combustion engines will have long since been controlled.

Dunlop went on to describe progress in controlling carbon monoxide,
nitrous oxide, and hydrocarbon emissions from automobiles. Absent from
his list? The pollutant he had been warned of years before: carbon dioxide.

We might surmise that the odorless gas simply passed under Robert
Dunlop's nose unnoticed. But less than a year later, the American
Petroleum Institute quietly received a report on air pollution it had
commissioned from the Stanford Research Institute, and its warning on
carbon dioxide was direct:

Significant temperature changes are almost certain to occur by the year
2000, and these could bring about climatic changes. [...] there seems to
be no doubt that the potential damage to our environment could be
severe. [...] pollutants which we generally ignore because they have
little local effect, CO2 and submicron particles, may be the cause of
serious world-wide environmental changes.

Thus, by 1968, American oil held in its hands yet another notice of its
products' world-altering side effects, one affirming that global warming
was not just cause for research and concern, but a reality needing
corrective action: "Past and present studies of CO2 are detailed," the
Stanford Research Institute advised. "What is lacking, however, is [...]
work toward systems in which CO2 emissions would be brought under control."

This early history illuminates the American petroleum industry's
long-running awareness of the planetary warming caused by its products.
Teller's warning, revealed in documentation I found while searching
archives, is another brick in a growing wall of evidence.

In the closing days of those optimistic 1950s, Robert Dunlop may have
been one of the first oilmen to be warned of the tragedy now looming
before us. By the time he departed this world in 1995, the American
Petroleum Institute he once led was denying the climate science it had
been informed of decades before, attacking the Intergovernmental Panel
on Climate Change, and fighting climate policies wherever they arose.

This is a history of choices made, paths not taken, and the fall from
grace of one of the greatest enterprises - oil, the "prime mover" - ever
to tread the earth. Whether it's also a history of redemption, however
partial, remains to be seen.

American oil's awareness of global warming - and its conspiracy of
silence, deceit, and obstruction /-/ goes further than any one company.
It extends beyond (though includes) ExxonMobil. The industry is
implicated to its core by the history of its largest representative, the
American Petroleum Institute.

It is now too late to stop a great deal of change to our planet's
climate and its global payload of disease, destruction, and death. But
we can fight to halt climate change as quickly as possible, and we can
uncover the history of how we got here. There are lessons to be learned,
and there is justice to be served.

Benjamin Franta (@BenFranta) is a PhD student in history of science at
Stanford University who studies the history of climate change science
and politics. He has a PhD in applied physics from Harvard University
and is a former research fellow at the Belfer Center for Science and
International Affairs at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2018/jan/01/on-its-hundredth-birthday-in-1959-edward-teller-warned-the-oil-industry-about-global-warming

*This Day in Climate History - January 2, 2014 - from D.R. Tucker*
January 2, 2014:
-Chris Mooney of Mother Jones explains to the willfully ignorant that
snow doesn't disprove climate change.
http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2014/01/blizzards-dont-refute-global-warming

-MSNBC's Chris Hayes and climate scientist Michael Mann point out the
absolute stupidity of the right-wing claim that snow disproves climate
change.
http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/right-mocks-rescued-climate-scientists-105626691902
http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/theres-global-warming-and-its-snowing-105637955899