[TheClimate.Vote] January 13, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Jan 13 10:46:15 EST 2019

/January 13, 2019/

[Senator Sheldon Whitehouse "Time to Wake Up"]
*Senator calls out Fossil Fuel Funding in U.S. Politics*
Climate State - Published Jan 12, 2019
What happens in climate pollution does affect a global scale --
According to @SenWhitehouse, 60 of the 70 billion $ spent by
conservative interests to keep the U.S. Senate in Republican hands was
connected to fossil fuel interests. They bought the U.S. Senate to block
climate action.
https://twitter.com/MichaelEMann/status/1083449934706282497
https://twitter.com/SenWhitehouse/status/1083448349661908992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1VF0Sqj0eE

[Washington Post $]
*The oceans are warming faster than we thought, and scientists suggest
we brace for impact*
[actually, warming 40 to 50 percent faster...]
By Angela Fritz - January 11
The oceans are warming faster than climate reports have suggested,
according to a new synthesis of temperature observations published this
week. The most recent report from the United Nations Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change made what turned out to be a very conservative
estimate of rise in ocean temperature, and scientists are advising us to
adjust our expectations.

"The numbers are coming in 40 to 50 percent [warmer] than the last IPCC
report," said Kevin Trenberth, a climate scientist at the National
Center for Atmospheric Research and an author on the report, published
in Science Magazine on Thursday.

Furthermore, Trenberth said, "2018 will be the warmest year on record in
the oceans" as 2017 was and 2016 before that.

Oceans cover 70 percent of the globe and absorb 93 percent of the
planet's extra heat from climate change. They are responsible for
spawning disasters like hurricanes Florence and Maria and generating
torrential rainfall via meteorological processes with names like
"atmospheric river" and "Pineapple Express."
- - -
"We've spent too much time and effort on people who may not be
convinced" that climate change is real and important, he said. "But now
there seems to be this grass-roots movement of young people who care. I
don't remember a time like this."
Angela Fritz is an atmospheric scientist and The Washington Post's
deputy weather editor. Before joining The Post, Fritz worked as a
meteorologist at CNN in Atlanta and Weather Underground in San
Francisco. She has a BS in meteorology and an MS in earth and
atmospheric science.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/01/11/oceans-are-warming-faster-than-we-thought-scientists-suggest-we-brace-impact/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6e2ac07899af
- - -
[Inside Climate News]
*World's Oceans Are Warming Faster, Studies Show, Fueling Storms and Sea
Rise*
'Global warming is here, it has major consequences, and it's going to be
very, very difficult to get this under control,' an author of a new
report says.
A new study published Thursday strengthens the consensus that the
warming of the world's oceans is accelerating.
It's a trend that climate models have long predicted, but it had been
difficult to confirm until recently.

The findings are vindication of the scientific community's work so far
and lend greater weight to the projections for warming through the end
of this century, said Gavin Schmidt, a leading climate scientist at
Columbia University who was not involved in the study...
The new paper, published in the journal Science, reviews four studies
conducted over the past decade and was partly a response to a
controversy over one of them, an article published in the journal Nature
on Nov. 1. The authors of the November article were forced to issue a
correction after discovering they had made errors in their assumptions
and that the uncertainty in their findings was much greater than they
had thought.

While the November paper made some "disquieting" assumptions, the
corrected version is closely in line with three other studies that used
different techniques, said Kevin Trenberth, a climate scientist at the
National Center for Atmospheric Research and coauthor of the new review.

The overall point--that warming is accelerating--holds true, and it
helps explain why we're starting to see the effects of warming through
stronger storms and severe weather, he said.

"Global warming is here, it has major consequences, and it's going to be
very, very difficult to get this under control," Trenberth said. "That
doesn't mean we shouldn't try, because anytime we can slow this down if
not stop it, it allows us to adapt to it, to plan for it, to deal with
some of the expected consequences in a much better fashion."...
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/10012019/ocean-warming-accelerating-sea-level-rise-hurricanes-climate-change-science-review
- - - -
[What's that smell?]
*A $3 billion problem: Miami-Dade's septic tanks are already failing due
to sea rise*
BY ALEX HARRIS - JANUARY 10, 2019
Miami-Dade has tens of thousands of septic tanks, and a new report
reveals most are already malfunctioning -- the smelly and unhealthy
evidence of which often ends up in people's yards and homes. It's a
billion-dollar problem that climate change is making worse.

As sea level rise encroaches on South Florida, the Miami-Dade County
study shows that thousands more residents may be at risk -- and soon. By
2040, 64 percent of county septic tanks (more than 67,000) could have
issues every year, affecting not only the people who rely on them for
sewage treatment, but the region's water supply and the health of anyone
who wades through floodwaters.

"That's a huge deal for a developed country in 2019 to have half of the
septic tanks not functioning for part of the year," said Miami
Waterkeeper Executive Director Rachel Silverstein. "That is not acceptable."
Septic tanks require a layer of dirt underneath to do the final
filtration work and return the liquid waste back to the aquifer. Older
rules required one foot of soil, but newer regulations call for double
that. In South Florida, there's not that much dirt between the homes
above ground and the water below.
"All those regulations were based on the premise the elevation of
groundwater was going to be stable over time, which we now know is not
correct," said Doug Yoder, deputy director of Miami-Dade County's Water
and Sewer Department. "Now we find ourselves in a situation where we
know sea level has risen and continues to rise."
Sea level rise is pushing the groundwater even higher, eating up
precious space and leaving the once dry dirt soggy. Waste water doesn't
filter like it's supposed to in soggy soil. In some cases, it comes back
out, turning a front yard into a poopy swamp.

High tides or heavy rains can push feces-filled water elsewhere,
including King Tide floodwaters -- as pointed out in a 2016 study from
Florida International University and NOAA -- or possibly the region's
drinking supply.
In total, there are about 108,000 properties within the county that
still use septic, about 105,000 of which are residential. The vast
majority (more than 65,000) of the septic systems are in unincorporated
Miami-Dade.

Miami Gardens, North Miami Beach, Palmetto Bay and Pinecrest have the
most of any city, at about 5,000 each.
Some of those cities will see hundreds more septic tanks experiencing
yearly failures within the decade, like North Miami Beach, which has
2,780 homes with septic tanks with periodic issues now. By 2030, that is
expected to jump to 3,751.

The report did not forecast past 2040, when the region is expecting
around 15 inches of sea rise, a number that is predicted to creep
exponentially upward over the decades.
"The best response is sewer extension, but obviously that infrastructure
takes quite a bit of planning and time," said Katherine Hageman, the
county's resilience program manager.
"And money," County Chief Resilience Officer James Murley added.

Ripping out every septic tank and laying down new pipes to connect the
homes to the county's sewer system won't be cheap. The latest estimate
put the price tag at $3.3 billion.
"Who has that?" said Commissioner Rebeca Sosa, who called for the study.
"We need to act as fast as possible. We need to get as much assistance
as we can from the federal government, from the state."

That $3.3 billion price tag doesn't cover commercial properties, an
estimated $230 million cost, Yoder said. The county's current general
obligation bond includes $126 million to extend sewer services to
businesses. Yoder said the plans are in the design phase.
For now, anyone who wants to connect their property to the county's
sewer system has to pay out of pocket. The report cites the average
price as $15,000, but Yoder estimated that in septic-reliant areas like
Pinecrest, it could cost around $50,000 per home to tap into the sewer
system.

That's cash most residents don't have on hand, Haggman said, which is
why the county is exploring other ways to help residents out.

"We have options, but I think that's a good area for more conversation,"
she said.

Besides borrowing more money with another bond, the report pointed out
the county's best options would be continuing to collect the per-home
fee or establishing special taxing districts and spreading the cost into
a neighborhood.
Silverstein said the findings raise significant concerns about impacts
from septic tanks not just in 20 years, but now.

"Clearly the county is facing a major system failure here. Septic tanks
are already compromised and will continue to be even more comprised with
sea level rise and they need to take rapid action to address this and
make the system more resilient," she said.
Miami Herald Staff Writer Jenny Staletovich contributed to this story.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article224132115.html

[First, some definitions:  a joule]
It is equal to the energy transferred to (or work done on) an object
when a force of one newton acts on that object in the direction of its
motion through a distance of one metre (1 newton metre or N⋅m). It is
also the energy dissipated as heat when an electric current of one
ampere passes through a resistance of one ohm for one second. It is
named after the English physicist James Prescott Joule (
One joule can also be defined as:
The work required to move an electric charge of one coulomb through an
electrical potential difference of one volt, or one coulomb-volt (C⋅V).
This relationship can be used to define the volt.
The work required to produce one watt of power for one second, or one
watt-second (W⋅s) (compare kilowatt-hour – 3.6 megajoules). This
relationship can be used to define the watt.
*Yottajoule.*
The yottajoule (YJ) is equal to one septillion (1024) joules. This is
approximately the amount of energy required to heat all the water on
Earth by 1 °C. The thermal output of the Sun is approximately 400 YJ per
second.
Joule - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule
The zettajoule (ZJ) is equal to one sextillion (1021) joules. The human
annual global energy consumption is approximately 0.5 ZJ. Yottajoule.
Joule - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule
Multiples
For additional examples, see: Orders of magnitude (energy)
SI multiples for joule (J)
Submultiples        Multiples
Value    SI symbol    Name    Value    SI symbol    Name
10−1 J    dJ    decijoule    101 J    daJ    decajoule
10−2 J    cJ    centijoule    102 J    hJ    hectojoule
10−3 J    mJ    millijoule    103 J    kJ    kilojoule
10−6 J    µJ    microjoule    106 J    MJ    megajoule
10−9 J    nJ    nanojoule    109 J    GJ    gigajoule
10−12 J    pJ    picojoule    1012 J    TJ    terajoule
10−15 J    fJ    femtojoule    1015 J    PJ    petajoule
10−18 J    aJ    attojoule    1018 J    EJ    exajoule
10−21 J    zJ    zeptojoule    1021 J    ZJ    zettajoule
10−24 J    yJ    yoctojoule    1024 J    YJ    yottajoule
Common multiples are in bold face
*The zeptojoule (zJ) *is equal to one sextillionth (10−21) of one joule.
160 zeptojoules is about one electronvolt.
*The picojoule (pJ*) is equal to one trillionth (10−12) of one joule.
*The nanojoule (nJ)* is equal to one billionth (10−9) of one joule. 160
nanojoules is about the kinetic energy of a flying mosquito.[9]
*The microjoule (μJ)* is equal to one millionth (10−6) of one joule. The
Large Hadron Collider (LHC) produces collisions of the microjoule order
(7 TeV) per particle.
*The millijoule (mJ)* is equal to one thousandth (10−3) of a joule.
==============================
*The kilojoule (kJ)* is equal to one thousand (103) joules. Nutritional
food labels in most countries express energy in kilojoules (kJ).[10]
One square metre of the Earth receives about 1.4 kilojoules of solar
radiation every second in full daylight.[11]
*The megajoule (MJ)* is equal to one million (106) joules, or
approximately the kinetic energy of a one megagram (tonne) vehicle
moving at 161 km/h.
The energy required to heat 10 liters of liquid water at constant
pressure from 0 °C (32 °F) to 100 °C (212 °F) is approximately 4.2 MJ.
One kilowatt hour of electricity is 3.6 megajoules.
*The gigajoule (GJ) *is equal to one billion (109) joules. 6 GJ is about
the chemical energy of combusting 1 barrel (159 l) of crude oil.[12] 2
GJ is about the Planck energy unit.
*The terajoule (TJ)* is equal to one trillion (1012) joules; or about
0.278 GWh (which is often used in energy tables). About 63 TJ of energy
was released by the atomic bomb that exploded over Hiroshima.[13] The
International Space Station, with a mass of approximately 450 megagrams
and orbital velocity of 7.7 km/s,[14] has a kinetic energy of roughly 13
TJ. In 2017 Hurricane Irma was estimated to have a peak wind energy of
112 TJ.[15][16]
*The petajoule (PJ)* is equal to one quadrillion (1015) joules. 210 PJ
is about 50 megatons of TNT. This is the amount of energy released by
the Tsar Bomba, the largest man-made explosion ever.
*The exajoule (EJ)* is equal to one quintillion (1018) joules. The 2011
Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami in Japan had 1.41 EJ of energy according
to its rating of 9.0 on the moment magnitude scale. Yearly U.S. energy
consumption amounts to roughly 94 EJ.
*The zettajoule (ZJ)* is equal to one sextillion (1021) joules. *The
human annual global energy consumption is approximately 0.5 ZJ.*
*The yottajoule (YJ)* is equal to one septillion (1024) joules. *This is
approximately the amount of energy required to heat all the water on
Earth by 1 °C. The thermal output of the Sun is approximately 400 YJ per
second.*
On average, 340 watts per square meter of solar energy arrives at the
top of the atmosphere. Earth returns an equal amount of energy back to
space by reflecting some incoming light and by radiating heat (thermal
infrared energy).Jan 14, 2009
Climate and Earth's Energy Budget - NASA Earth Observatory
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/EnergyBalance/page1.php

- - -
[Now, to use ZetaJoule in a sentence: ]
["...pre- and post-1990...the increase in the speed of ocean heat
content rise is quite large, going from 2.8 ZJ/yr to 9.5 ZJ/yr, three
and a half times as fast. "]
[from Tamino]
*Sea Heat*
Posted on January 12, 2019
Just a quick note, that when it comes to the heat that's been building
up in the oceans, Zeke Hausfather got right to the point:
He's one of the authors of a new paper (Cheng et al. 2018) which brings
together all that we've learned lately about ocean heat content, to show
that the best estimate is going up faster than we thought before. In
fact it's following what the computer models predicted it would do, with
surprising fidelity. You can find plenty of press reports, including in
the New York Times.

The data in his graph (available here) are from Lijing Cheng, the
paper's lead author. They're monthly data, and look like this
(Hausfather's graph uses a different baseline, doesn't start until 1955,
and shows a 12-month moving average rather than monthly values):

The rapid and seemingly inexorable rise in the heat of the oceans is a
sign of trouble. If it continues, it will bring us another foot of sea
level rise by 2100 from thermal expansion alone, quite apart from the
melting of land ice. Since ocean heat is the energy source for storms
like hurricanes, they can be even more destructive. Ocean species will
have to migrate and adapt to the new conditions; they're already on the
move (ask fishermen), and their future is uncertain. That means our
future is uncertain.

What strikes me most about the data is the sharp turn about 1990. It's
easily confirmed statistically, and if we model the data as two straight
lines, choosing the optimal "turning point" by change point analysis, we
get this:

With it, we can estimate the average rates during the two episodes, pre-
and post-1990. Two things strike me about this. First, the increase in
the speed of ocean heat content rise is quite large, going from 2.8
ZJ/yr to 9.5 ZJ/yr, three and a half times as fast. Second, it's
probably not a coincidence that the year 1990 is the same at which sea
level accelerates. Since thermal expansion is one of the root causes of
sea level rise, this is to be expected.

In closing, I'll mention that my wife's idea of "sea heat" is Jason Momoa.
https://tamino.wordpress.com/2019/01/12/sea-heat/

[goes around, comes around]
*Next president could declare climate emergency, GOP fears*
Scott Waldman, E&E News reporter Climatewire: Friday, January 11, 2019
Republicans are increasingly concerned that President Trump's threat to
build a border wall by declaring a national emergency might be repeated
by a future president who sees climate change as an existential danger
to the United States.

A number of Republicans, including Sens. John Thune of South Dakota and
Marco Rubio of Florida, expressed dismay at the potential reverberations
of issuing an emergency order to achieve a political victory.

"We have to be careful about endorsing broad uses of executive power,"
Rubio said Wednesday on CNBC. "If today the national emergency is border
security, tomorrow the national emergency might be climate change."

Democrats and Republicans have been clashing for three weeks -- the
length of the partial government shutdown -- over Trump's demand for
$5.7 billion in wall funding. Neither side is showing signs of a
compromise, prompting Trump to intensify his rhetoric about violence
along the U.S.-Mexico border while pushing closer to an emergency
declaration that would empower him to build a wall using the military.

"If this doesn't work out, probably I will do it," Trump said yesterday
of declaring a disaster, before flying to Texas for publicized meetings
along the border. "I would almost say definitely."

Even some conservative pundits who support building a wall worry that
Trump's actions on immigration could be harnessed by a future president
for climate action.

"If the President declares a national emergency and starts using eminent
domain and reprogrammed dollars to build a wall, it is only a matter of
time before a progressive President declares climate change a national
emergency and uses eminent domain to shutter coal plants, etc.," Erick
Erickson tweeted this week.

Former Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri warned Republicans
yesterday that climate change is exactly the type of issue that a future
president could address by bypassing Congress.

"This is a reminder to my R friends that the Pentagon, Congress, and
this administration have all said climate change is a serious threat to
national security," she wrote on Twitter. "Will the next President
bypass Congress and declare an emergency? This door can swing both ways."

Democrats won't publicly admit that global warming rises to the level of
declaring a national emergency or shuttering the government. More than a
dozen Democratic lawmakers in the House and Senate said they would not
shut down the government over any issue, including climate change.

Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) said Democrats would be able to get support
for climate policy though traditional avenues.

"[Climate change] really is an existential issue for human beings on
this planet [and] for the security of our country, and we're definitely
going to do it," she said of addressing climate change. "But it's not
about trading these essential issues, that's why we have a democracy,
that's why we have order to get things like this done. We just have this
intransigent and crazy president, I think a very, very sick man, in the
White House who has no capacity to understand issues as important as
climate."

Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.) said that enough Republicans are concerned about
rising temperatures to make a shutdown unnecessary.

"You don't shut the government down," he said. "We have Republicans who
want to join us on climate change issues; we can win on this issue and
have the American people with us and have the global community with us."

Rep. Paul Tonko (D-N.Y.) said Democrats believe in government, not in
shutting it down.

"We're about keeping the government open, we're about dialogue, and
that's what we need here," he said. "My focus this session is bringing
us into working order on a plan to address carbon pollution, which is a
worldwide crisis. It's based on science and evidence that requires us to
respond with a degree of urgency."

Trump spent his nine-minute Oval Office address Tuesday pressuring
Democrats to approve billions of dollars for a border wall. Some say
that kind of pressure is needed to marshal funding and policies to
tackle rising seas and other climate threats.

"It strains public resources and drives down jobs and wages," Trump said
of illegal immigration, a claim that experts immediately disputed.
"Among those hardest hit are African-Americans and Hispanic-Americans."

Apply that to climate change, and those words ring true.

Poor and minority communities are the most vulnerable to climate
impacts, like sea-level rise and heat waves. Public infrastructure is
being destroyed by disasters exacerbated by climate change.

In the coming years, global warming stands to kill more Americans,
destroy more property and damage the economy, according to two major
climate reports released last year.

Trump said congressional Democrats "refused to acknowledge the crisis"
of border security. The same claim can be applied to Republicans who
ignore and criticize climate science.

"Thousands more lives will be lost if we don't act right now," Trump
said in the Oval Office. "This is a humanitarian crisis. A crisis of the
heart and a crisis of the soul."

The economic costs of disasters that are sharpened by rising
temperatures continue to mount, even as the Trump administration rolls
back environmental protections that restrict greenhouse gases. The
National Flood Insurance Program is $20 billion in debt, a number driven
upward by hurricanes and other extreme weather events, which climate
scientists say will be more damaging in the future.

The irony to some experts is that Trump's concerns about immigration are
connected to the changing climate. More refugees stand to flee their
homeland in Central America and other regions as food insecurity grows
and economies suffer.

"The reason we care about the changing climate is because it is a threat
multiplier," said Katharine Hayhoe, an atmospheric scientist and a
political science professor at Texas Tech University. "If you think
immigration is a problem now, just wait. If you think international
competitiveness, or agriculture or water shortages, or the extreme
amount of money that is being spent to help cities and regions recover
after disasters, if you think any of that is a problem right now, just
wait."

The threat from climate change needs an Oval Office address to
communicate its seriousness, said Bob Inglis, a former Republican
congressman from South Carolina who once rejected climate science but
now tries to engage conservatives on the issue.

He said neither immigration nor climate change requires a national
emergency declaration. Instead, a Republican president could use the
backdrop of the Oval Office to explain that America is prepared to lead
the world on climate action. He said he envisions a grand speech that
echoes President Kennedy in 1961 at Rice University, where he marshaled
the nation's best science for a race to the moon.

"Climate change is this huge challenge, it's a worldwide challenge, it's
just a call for American greatness to solve the challenge," Inglis said.
"The rest of the world can't solve it. It does warrant that level of
attention from a president, and of course that's not what we're getting
now."
Twitter: @scottpwaldman Email: swaldman at eenews.net
https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060111657

[Or just talk about it]
*Why it's time to think about human extinction - Dr David Suzuki*
Kerwin Rae - Published on Dec 16, 2018
After listening to this ep with Dr David Suzuki, you'll never be the
same again. The environmentalist, activist, professor of genetics and
science broadcaster hits us with some home truths about what our future
will look like if we continue to live the way we have been. What will
life be like for our children and grandchildren? Can the damage we've
done to the planet be reversed? Is extinction of the human race imminent?
We talk about population control, the importance of renewable energy and
discuss what we can do right now in our own lives that can actually make
a difference. This is for anyone who cares about the future of mankind.
Timestamps
20:06 Why humanity has only got 1 minute left to live
25:25 Humans are the only species that don't care about their own children
29:17 Educate yourself on politics or don't complain about the government
36:26 Can we be saved from our own extinction?
59:09 A final challenge for entrepreneurs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktnAMTmgOX0&t=2368s

[common sense opinion]
*Focusing on how individuals can stop climate change is very convenient
for corporations*
Sure, it's morally good to reduce your footprint–but don't let that
deflect attention from who is really to blame.
BY MORTEN FIBIEGER BYSKOV4 MINUTE READ
What can be done to limit global warming to 1.5°C? A quick internet
search offers a deluge of advice on how individuals can change their
behavior. Take public transport instead of the car or, for longer
journeys, the train rather than fly. Eat less meat and more vegetables,
pulses and grains, and don't forget to turn off the light when leaving a
room or the water when shampooing. The implication here is that the
impetus for addressing climate change is on individual consumers.

But can and should it really be the responsibility of individuals to
limit global warming? On the face of it, we all contribute to global
warming through the cumulative impact of our actions.

By changing consumption patterns on a large scale we might be able to
influence companies to change their production patterns to more
sustainable methods. Some experts have argued that everyone (or at least
those who can afford it) has a responsibility to limit global warming,
even if each individual action is insufficient in itself to make a
difference.

Yet there are at least two reasons why making it the duty of individuals
to limit global warming is wrong...
*INDIVIDUALS ARE STATISTICALLY BLAMELESS*
Climate change is a planetary-scale threat and, as such, requires
planetary-scale reforms that can only be implemented by the world's
governments. Individuals can at most be responsible for their own
behavior, but governments have the power to implement legislation that
compels industries and individuals to act sustainably.

Although the power of consumers is strong, it pales in comparison to
that of international corporations, and only governments have the power
to keep these interests in check.

Usually, we regard governments as having a duty to protect citizens. So
why is it that we allow them to skirt these responsibilities just
because it is more convenient to encourage individual action? Asking
individuals to bear the burden of global warming shifts the
responsibilities from those who are meant to protect to those who are
meant to be protected. We need to hold governments to their
responsibilities first and foremost.

A recent report found that just 100 companies are responsible for 71% of
global emissions since 1988. Incredibly, a mere 25 corporations and
state-owned entities were responsible for more than half of global
industrial emissions in that same period.

Most of these are coal- and oil-producing companies and include
ExxonMobil, Shell, BP, Chevron, Gazprom, and the Saudi Arabian Oil
Company. China leads the pack on the international stage with 14.3% of
global greenhouse gas emissions due to its coal production and consumption.

If the fossil fuel industry and high-polluting countries are not forced
to change, we will be on course to increase global average temperatures
by 4°C by the end of the century.

If just a few companies and countries are responsible for so much of
global greenhouse gas emissions, then why is our first response to blame
individuals for their consumption patterns? It shouldn't be–businesses
and governments need to take responsibility for curbing industrial
emissions.
*GOVERNMENTS AND INDUSTRIES SHOULD LEAD*
Rather than rely on appeals to individual virtue, what can be done to
hold governments and industries accountable?

Governments have the power to enact legislation that could regulate
industries to remain within sustainable emission limits and adhere to
environmental protection standards. Companies should be compelled to
purchase emissions rights–the profits from which can be used to aid
climate-vulnerable communities.

Governments could also make renewable energy generation, from sources
such as solar panels and wind turbines, affordable to all consumers
through subsidies. Affordable and low-carbon mass transportation must
replace emission-heavy means of travel, such as planes and cars.

More must also be done by rich countries and powerful industries to
support and empower poorer countries to mitigate and adapt to climate
change.

All of this is not to say that individuals cannot or should not do what
they can to change their behavior where possible. Every little
contribution helps, and research shows that limiting meat consumption
can be an effective step. The point is that failing to do so should not
be considered morally blameworthy.

In particular, individuals living in poorer countries who have
contributed almost nothing to climate change deserve the most support
and the least guilt. They are neither the primary perpetrators of global
warming nor the ones who have the power to enact the structural changes
necessary for limiting global warming, which would have to involve
holding powerful industries responsible.

While individuals may have a role to play, appealing to individual
virtues for addressing climate change is something akin to
victim-blaming because it shifts the burden from those who ought to act
to those who are most likely to be affected by climate change. A far
more just and effective approach would be to hold those who are
responsible for climate change accountable for their actions.

Morten Fibieger Byskov, postdoctoral researcher in international
politics, University of Warwick
https://theconversation.com/climate-change-focusing-on-how-individuals-can-help-is-very-convenient-for-corporations-108546

[where are we now?]
*Climate change and migration: predictions, politics and policy - online
course*
Climate & Migration Coalition
Published on Jan 8, 2019
How will climate change reshape migration? And what are governments
planning to do about it? This online course examines these questions in
depth. Over the space of 10 months, this course examines the major
issues around climate-linked migration and displacement.

About this course
Climate change is set to play a key role in patterns of human settlement
and migration in the future. Altered patterns of drought, storms and sea
level rise are already creating new patterns of migration.

This course is intended for anyone wishing to tackle a major global
issue.The course is completely online. You can join the sessions via
live stream from your computer. The sessions will provide roughly an
hour of lecture input, followed by a chance for discussion. If you can't
join the sessions live, you can watch them online anytime, at your own
pace. Each session also comes with a collection of recommended reading
and watching, so you can investigate the themes and ideas further if you
wish.
- - -

These sessions use the tools and learning from the entire course to
examine several complex humanitarian crises in which climate change has
played a role. They will look at how climate change has created and
influenced human movement in and around the impacted areas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOmfPQvzesI

*This Day in Climate History - January 13, 2004 - from D.R. Tucker*
January 13, 2004: "The Price of Loyalty," Ron Suskind's profile of
former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, is released. The book recounts
O'Neill's numerous conflicts with the George W. Bush administration,
noting that O'Neill's efforts to have the administration act
aggressively on carbon pollution were met with scorn.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2004/02/09/Climate-CO2-policy-Bush-Cheney-style/UPI-96341076366045/