[TheClimate.Vote] July 15, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest..

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jul 15 09:09:41 EDT 2019

/July 15, 2019/

[one Republican speaks out]
*Trump ally Lindsey Graham says president should 'admit climate change
is real'*
Graham said Trump should agree with the overwhelming scientific
consensus that the planet is warming and come up with an aggressive
response."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/12/donald-trump-admit-climate-change-real-lindsey-graham-says/1718541001/

[opinion from the Financial Times]
*The climate change lobby needs a business strategy*
It is time to replace noise with a move into the marketplace
Nick Butler
...Protest is a tactic not an answer. It has raised consciousness and
climate change is now part of the common vocabulary across the world.
What is missing is the link between the fears that have been raised and
the answers. Instead of simply acting as critics, Greenpeace and the
other serious NGOs should move into the marketplace and build
partnerships that offer us all sustainable choices...
https://www.ft.com/content/b4f8213e-a3be-11e9-a282-2df48f366f7d

[two audio pieces about tactics for facing the future]
[On-the-Media recommends a do nothing disengagement]
July 12, 2019
*Uncomfortably Numb*
On this week's On the Media, how painful news might be making America
numb. And, why sometimes it's okay to tune out.
1. Max Read [@max_read],writer and editor at New York Magazine, on the
partial fulfillment of a "message-board prophecy." Listen.
2. David Corn [@DavidCornDC], Washington bureau chief for Mother Jones,
and Priya Shukla [@priyology], PhD candidate at the University of
California-Davis, on the psychological effects of climate change on
those who study it. Listen.
3. Dan Degerman [@ddegerman], philosophy researcher at Lancaster
University, on the political implications of "Brexit anxiety." Listen.
4. Jenny Odell [@the_jennitaur], author of How to Do Nothing: Resisting
the Attention Economy, on how to protect our attention in the face of
information overload. Listen.
https://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/audio.wnyc.org/otm/otm071219_cms949714_pod.mp3?siteplayer=true&dl=1
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/452538775/on-the-media
https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/on-the-media-uncomfortably-numb
- - -
[Audio - Extinction Rebellion, with a song, says we must face up to the
future]
[and a possible anthem emerges ]
*"I'm Sorry, My Friends..."*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdQYDcBbLgM&feature=youtu.be&t=189
A choral version
https://soundcloud.com/blythehart/emergency
Lyrics:

I'm sorry, my friends. I didn't want to stop you, when you were
having such a fine time.
But- this is an emergency! Your house is all on fire, and if we do
not rise up now, all this will turn to ashes.
I'm sorry, my friends. I didn't want to trouble you, when you were
having such a hard time.
But- this is an emergency! The waters are all climbing. And so we
have to rise up now, or we will soon be drowning.
I'm sorry, my friends. That we have all been arguing- and now we're
nearly out of time.
But- this is an emergency! There'll be no food for eating.
And so we have to rise up now, or this knife will be for fighting.
I'm sorry, my children. I didn't want to frighten you- and this is
no ghost story This is an emergency!
Our leaders have all failed us. And so we have to rise up now....
and join the rebellion.
And so we have to rise up now.... And form the rebellion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdQYDcBbLgM&feature=youtu.be&t=189

[Meanwhile firefighters describe how they dealt with the Camp Fire in
Paradise less than a year ago]
[CAL FIRE TV published July 10, 2019 from Wildfire Today]
*"Into the Fire", a new film about the Camp Fire*
The fire burned through Paradise, California November 8, 2018
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection has released a
new 17-minute film about the 2018 Camp Fire, the blaze that killed 85
people, blackened 153,336 acres, and destroyed 18,804 structures.

It is titled Into the Fire: *The First Hours of the Camp Fire*, and was
uploaded to YouTube Wednesday.
https://wildfiretoday.com/2019/07/14/into-the-fire-a-new-film-about-the-camp-fire/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7OUG_6QCG0

[video webinar]
*The Cowspiracy Webinar*
Climate Change Truth regarding Animal Agriculture (June 29, 2019)
With so many challenging our facts and figures, Dr. Sailesh Rao of
Climate Healers hosted a webinar to clarify the impact of Animal
Agriculture on Climate Change, specifically with respect to the facts
presented in our 2014 documentary, "Cowspiracy : The Sustainability
Secret." The slides for the presentation can be found here.
*"How Not To Go Extinct" Webinar Series*
Part 1: Overview - The Climate Healers Hypothesis (Feb 9, 2019)
Part 2: Political: Make America Brave Again (Mar 9, 2019)
Part 3: Social: Make Humanity Belong Again (Apr 13, 2019)
Part 4: Ecological: Make Earth Green Again (May 11, 2019)
Part 5: Spiritual: Make God Great Again (Jun 8, 2019)
Part 6: Economy - Vegan World 2026  -Jul 13, 2019 :
Upcoming Webinar in the series:
Aug 10, 2019: Part 7: Personal - How You Can Solve Climate Change TODAY!
All Webinars will be conducted at 9am and 9pm Pacific Time on the
specified dates. To join, please go to
https://zoom.us/j/7328093526
http://www.climatehealers.org/webinar

[YouTube video]
*Dr Rupert Read - The Uncertain Situation We Are In | Extinction Rebellion*
Extinction Rebellion
Published on Jul 14, 2019
Dr Rupert Read visited Cornwall to hold an open conversation at the
invitation of Manda Brookman from Cafe Disruptif
https://www.facebook.com/CafeDisruptif/ on June 20th 2019.
Filmed by Senara Wilson Hodges from On the Beach Productions
https://www.facebook.com/OnTheBeachProductions/
Learn more and #RebelForLife #TheTimeIsNow
Website: https://Rebellion.Earth
World Map of Extinction Rebellion Groups: http://bit.ly/2wri78B
https://www.facebook.com/ExtinctionRebellion/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4uckj3dbUU

[history of dis-information as criminal ecocide]
*The 'Historical Jigsaw of Climate Deception': Private Notes Show How
Big Oil Spread Climate Science Denial*
By Mat Hope - Thursday, July 11, 2019
- - -
Now a new cache of documents sheds light on the origins of the
disinformation.

In another verse of a now familiar refrain, a fossil fuel industry group
in the 1990s publicly promoted arguments to undermine confidence in
climate science while internally acknowledging their products were
driving up temperatures.
A cache of meeting minutes, briefings, and emails uncovered by the
Climate Investigations Center shows how industry group the Global
Climate Coalition (GCC) used its financial clout and political
connections to cast doubt on mainstream climate science until its
disbandment in 2002. The GCC would for decades cast doubt on the
veracity of climate science and strategically spread the message that
the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) was a
politicised body, to discourage regulatory reform that would hit
coalition members' profits.

The documents show that the group, which counted fossil fuel giants
Exxon, Shell, and Peabody among its members, knowingly pushed
misinformation on climate change even as the GCC internally acknowledged
humans' impact on the climate "cannot be denied". Some of those same
companies have been the recent targets of lawsuits seeking damages for
climate change impacts...
- - -
Within the GCC, the Science and Technology Assessment Committee (STAC)
took responsibility for assessing contemporary climate science and
formulating strategic arguments to undermine it. The STAC was chaired by
Mobil Oil's Lenny Bernstein. Mobil, Exxon, and Texaco (now part of
Chevron) all contributed five staffers to the committee.

An internal 1994 document outlining "issues and options" for the GCC to
consider regarding "potential global climate change" shows the group's
outright climate science denial.

The document concludes that "the claim that serious impacts from climate
change have occurred or will occur in the future has not been proven"
and "consequently, there is no basis for the design of effective policy
action that would eliminate the potential for climate change."...
- - -
In the same document, the GCC cites the work of infamous academics known
for spreading climate science denial including Richard Linzen, Patrick
Michaels, and Robert Balling. The document asserts that these academics'
arguments disputing mainstream climate science "have received far less
attention than they deserve".

A small-format pamphlet that the GCC distributed to the public in 1995
entitled "Climate Change: Your Passport to the Facts" states that:

"While many warnings have reached the popular press about the
consequences of a potential man-made warming of the Earth's
atmosphere during the next 100 years, there remains no scientific
evidence that such a dangerous warming will actually occur."

A year-end briefing from 1995 also says: "The warming that has occurred
to date is primarily at night and is within the range of natural
variability. Some statistically significant 'climate changes' have been
reported in some regions, but no credible scientific evidence exists
which shows that these changes have been caused by human activity."...
- - -
"History teaches us that when it comes to the fossil fuel industry's
rhetoric on climate change and energy, we take them at face value at our
peril."
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/07/11/historical-deception-global-climate-coalition-science-denial

[video Commentary]
*US Climate Alliance and Extinction Rebellion Summer Action*
Just Have a Think
Published on Jul 14, 2019
The United States Climate Alliance now has 24 member states with a
combined population of 132 million citizens. These states are upholding
the greenhouse gas reduction pledges made by the US as part of the Paris
Climate Agreement. Trump's delusional proclamations cannot stop this
state-wide action. Here in the UK, Extinction Rebellion are planning a
Summer Uprising from July 15th to remind our own government of the
complacency they have allowed to creep into their carbon reduction
policy. It is turning out to be a pivotal year in the fight against
global warming and this Summer will be real Summer of action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z5SaqlnCKU

[hear a deeply philosophical, scientific discussion]
*Physics of Clouds & Collapse--interview w/Tim Garrett--Radio Ecoshock
2018-10-03*
Published on Jan 9, 2019
Full length interview with Professor Tim Garrett, University of Utah.
Clouds, Arctic pollution, & climate change. Energy, wealth & collapse.
The life-cycle of civilizations and the electricity of brains. A
wide-ranging interview, bound to be a classic.

Welcome to my third encounter with Dr. Tim Garrett from the University
of Utah. Tim is an atmospheric scientist studying one of the big
unknowns of our future climate: the behavior of clouds. Garrett also
publishes papers on what I will call the physics of large-scale economy.
He says civilization is a heat engine. The climate ramifications of that
is a rabbit-hole where even confirmed preppers should shiver. Let us
explore the clouds, the climate, and the Arctic  with a side-order of
inevitable collapse. Tim is Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at U. of
Utah, and President and co-Founder of Particle Flux Analytics.

Interview covers two broad topics:

1. Up til 19:40--Tim's work as an atmospheric scientist on
understanding clouds, and in this interview, the role of clouds in
the Arctic in particular

2. 19:40 onwards--The way he applies theory from physics to
understand our economy and prediction of our troubled future

Show by Radio Ecoshock, reposted under CC License. Episode details at
https://www.ecoshock.org/2018/10/tim-...
Stop Fossil Fuels researches and disseminates effective strategies and
tactics to halt fossil fuel combustion as fast as possible. Learn more
at https://stopfossilfuels.org

*SHOW EXCERPT*
Garrett sees "incredible parallels between civilization and clouds", saying:

"These are complex systems that consume a lot of energy, that grow
explosively, by consumer energy from their environment, and matter
from their environment, and ultimately reach a point where they have
consumed all that is available  and die. For clouds we can see this
all the time; for civilization we are still in this explosive growth
phase."

Tim explains we will consume as much matter and energy in the next 30
years as we have since 1750. As infinite growth is impossible,
civilization must either decline organically or be forced to decline.

Garrett is astonished that it took us about 10,000 years to achieve
current energy use, but to continue to grow, say 2.4%. We then need to
double everything we have, all accumulated over 10,000 years, in just 30
years. Even if there were the energy resources to do that, including all
the other resources required for that energy extraction and distribution
system  what happens to all that carbon waste in our atmosphere? Then,
in that dependence on the growth hormone, it all needs to double again
in another 30 years. In 60 years our world consumption of energy and
resources would need to quadruple, during a period of intense climate
heating, possibly up to 5 degrees C hotter. Garret concludes "Something
has to give."

In several places, Tim suggests we may revisit a system-wide Depression
like the 1930's. I'm not sure the 1930's is a good analysis, or that we
can reach any historical precedent from where we are now. Maybe the
1930's will seem good or mild compare to the climate-damaged future! Or
maybe humanity will squeeze into a brand new phase.

*WHY "GREEN" ENERGY EITHER DOESN'T MATTER OR MAKES THE PROBLEM WORSE!*
A commentator says: "the premise of his argument is that civilization is
a heat engine and the source of energy to generate growth is ultimately
irrelevant to the final outcome."

Is Garrett saying that even if we manage to run civilization on solar,
wind, hydro and geothermal  if growth is necessary, we are still doomed
to collapse? Apparently so, and he is not alone.

Tim's Tweet of August 15 links to a New York Times article where even
climate-aware Germany still depends on coal for up to 40% of it's
energy. He says, "Historically, new energy sources add to the mix rather
than replace their older foundation." That sounds pretty bleak for the
future of Green energy like solar and wind. I can hear some of my
listeners objecting as if our love has been insulted, our dreams broken.
At 25 minutes into this show, Garrett essentially says we use green
energy to build more civilization  which converts more raw materials
into civilization which needs more energy.

*ENERGY IN THE BRAIN*
Garrett tells us that the brain employs about 25 watts of electric
power, about one fourth of all the energy we produce from the food we eat.

He writes "feelings and the sense of free will must require some degree
of energy consumption and dissipation to exist as a process". But are we
all just a formula that can be deduced by physics? I worry Garrett may
be trapped within glasses made from physics and math, and see everything
through that lens. Take this example: Who cares what energy the brain
and the rest of the body may be burning during a dream? Can we measure
that energy in the sleeper and think we understand the dream, within a
margin of error? I ask Tim directly that question in the interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOdC5FeBWEs
- - -
[Physicist and global warming philosopher Tim Garrett]
Nephologue
*Exploring the interplay of thermodynamics, economics, and climate*
Friday, June 21, 2019
Population growth is not a driver of climate change
- - -
It is necessary to understand a bit about the very special nature of how
a self-organizing civilization operates like a heat engine.

The heat engine in your car is of fixed size. Civilization differs
because it can grow. It grows because it is able to successfully use
energy to incorporate raw materials from its environment into its
internal structure.

If civilization is energy efficient, then it is able to rapidly
incorporate raw materials into its structure. Energy efficient
civilizations are productive and grow quickly. There are two ways we can
witness this material growth. One is that population increases: we
ourselves are constructed from raw materials. The other is that we
increase the amount of our stuff, or our economic affluence...
http://nephologue.blogspot.com/2019/06/it-seems-so-easy-to-blame-excess.html

*This Day in Climate History - July 15, 1976 - from D.R. Tucker*
July 15, 1976: At the Democratic National Convention, presidential
nominee Jimmy Carter states, "We can have an America that has reconciled
its economic needs with its desire for an environment that we can pass
on with pride to the next generation."
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Car (34:46--34:58)