[TheClimate.Vote] July 22, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jul 22 09:43:22 EDT 2019

/July 22, 2019/

[Heat Exhaustion]
*Signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion* may develop suddenly or over
time, especially with prolonged periods of exercise.
Possible heat exhaustion signs and symptoms include:
-Cool, moist skin with goose bumps when in the heat
- Heavy sweating
- Faintness
- Dizziness
- Fatigue
- Weak, rapid pulse
- Low blood pressure upon standing
- Muscle cramps
- Nausea
- Headache
*When to see a doctor*
If you think you're experiencing heat exhaustion:
- Stop all activity and rest
- Move to a cooler place
- Drink cool water or sports drinks
Contact your doctor if your signs or symptoms worsen or if they don't
improve within one hour. If you are with someone showing signs of heat
exhaustion, seek immediate medical attention if he or she becomes
confused or agitated, loses consciousness, or is unable to drink. You
will need immediate cooling and urgent medical attention if your core
body temperature (measured by a rectal thermometer) reaches 104 F (40 C)
or higher.
[diagnosing hyperthermia]
A dangerously overheated body, usually in response to prolonged, hot,
humid weather.
Hyperthermia occurs when the body's heat-regulating mechanisms don't
work effectively. Older age, certain illnesses, and medications increase
the risk of developing hyperthermia.
A temperature of 104 F (40 C) or higher is life-threatening. Confusion,
nausea or vomiting, and rapid breathing are some symptoms.
It's critical to move a person with hyperthermia to a cooler place and
seek emergency care.
*Usually self-diagnosable*
A temperature of 104 F (40 C) or higher is life-threatening.
Confusion, nausea or vomiting, and rapid breathing are some symptoms.
People may experience:
Whole body: dehydration, fatigue, flushing, thirst, excess sweating,
fainting, inability to sweat normally, lightheadedness, low blood
pressure, or nervous system dysfunction
*Muscular: *cramping, stiff muscles, or muscle spasms
*Gastrointestinal:* nausea or vomiting
*Respiratory:* fast breathing or shallow breathing
*Also common: *elevated core body temperature, fast heart rate,
delirium, dry skin, headache, or mental confusion
Critical: consult a doctor for medical advice
more at -
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heat-exhaustion/symptoms-causes/syc-20373250

[Beckwith video on the cost of cool]
*Global Growth in Air Conditioning Demand is Warming the World: 1 of 2*
Paul Beckwith
Published on Jul 21, 2019
Heatwaves around the planet are happening much more often, at much
higher temperatures and humidities, with much longer durations, and they
are occurring in regions that did not have them before. Thus, demand for
air conditioning is skyrocketing. Globally, the 1.6 billion AC units in
2018 are projected to grow to 5.6 billion units by 2050, and by 2050
they will use as much electricity as China does today for all
activities. Greenhouse gas emissions from electricity generation to
power these ACs will nearly double, and waste heat from ACs that is
vented outside can heat cities by a few degrees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERsDPQV6m_c
- - -
*All about Air Conditioning: Necessary for Survival: 2 of 2*
Paul Beckwith
Published on Jul 21, 2019
Most homes in hot counties have not yet purchased their first Air
Conditioner, for example India has less than 5% penetration. Japan leads
the world, with over 91% of households having AC today, followed by the
USA with 90%, Korea at 86%, Saudi Arabia at 63%, and China at 60%, with
Mexico down to 16% and other countries well below that. Most Europeans
don't have or have previously needed AC, with France about 5% and
Germany about 1%, but long duration severe heat waves there recently are
quickly changing AC from a luxury item to a survival item. I chat about
all the details, and about the need to increase efficiencies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dbJoWjPPKM

[Extinction Rebellion news report video]
*Summer Uprising 2019 | Channel 4 News | Extinction Rebellion**
*Extinction Rebellion
Published on Jul 21, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-qYl86aEOo

[controversy among scientists on Methane video]
*Dr. Peter Wadhams: Methane Hydrates & Arctic Research*
UPFSI
Published on Jul 21, 2019
Peter Wadhams is back on ScientistsWarning.TV with a comprehensive
analysis of the reticent approach that part of the scientific community
has been taking toward the potentially very dangerous methane hydrate
situation in shallow Arctic sea waters.

Specifically, he comments on a video that had been issued by Yale
Climate Connections in January 2019 in which it was stated that there
really wasn't too much to worry about.

But it's not only climatologists who sometimes seem to be showing a
'lack of objectivity', according to Dr. Wadhams - it's also risk
analysis that has been missing so far and that should be done now as a
high priority task.
This conversation was recorded in March 2019.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3L0R6LzEUE
- - -
[a list of scientific papers by Natalia Shakhova]
*ResearchGate Natalia Shakhova*
University of Alaska Fairbanks
88 Research items
9,194 Reads
1,926 Citations
Projects (1) Methane in the surface waters of Northern seas
Latest research item:
*Understanding the Permafrost-Hydrate System and Associated Methane
Releases in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf*
Article Full-text available Jun 2019
Natalia Shakhova, Igor P. Semiletov
Evgeny Chuvilin

This paper summarizes current understanding of the processes that
determine the dynamics of the subsea permafrost-hydrate system
existing in the largest, shallowest shelf in the Arctic Ocean; the
East Siberian Arctic Shelf (ESAS). We review key environmental
factors and mechanisms that determine formation, current dynamics,
and thermal state of subsea permafrost, mechanisms of its
destabilization, and rates of its thawing; a full section of this
paper is devoted to this topic. Another important question regards
the possible existence of permafrost-related hydrates at shallow
ground depth and in the shallow shelf environment. We review the
history of and earlier insights about the topic followed by an
extensive review of experimental work to establish the physics of
shallow Arctic hydrates. We also provide a principal (simplified)
scheme explaining the normal and altered dynamics of the
permafrost-hydrate system as glacial-interglacial climate epochs
alternate. We also review specific features of methane releases
determined by the current state of the subsea-permafrost system and
possible future dynamics. This review presents methane results
obtained in the ESAS during two periods: 1994-2000 and 2003-2017. A
final section is devoted to discussing future work that is required
to achieve an improved understanding of the subject.
419 Reads
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333619219_Understanding_the_Permafrost-Hydrate_System_and_Associated_Methane_Releases_in_the_East_Siberian_Arctic_Shelf
More research Items (88) listed at -
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Natalia_Shakhova4

[Fear and engagement video interview]*
**Climate Change: Are You Scared Enough? feat. David Wallace-Wells*
Hot Mess
Published on Jul 18, 2019
Maybe if you're not scared, you're not paying attention…
Like this video? SUBSCRIBE to Hot Mess! http://bit.ly/hotmess_sub
Climate change is scary, because it will negatively impact just about
every part of our lives. But the conventional wisdom on how to talk
about climate change and inspire people to do something about it has
always been "don't scare people". At least until recently. In the past
couple years climate scientists and climate journalists have started
talking in scarier and more worst case terms than ever before. Why? And
is this a good thing? I talked to author David Wallace-Wells, author of
"The Uninhabitable Earth" to learn more.
#climate #climatechange #globalwarming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXw8EEIXKk0

[Liability briefing - 2 minute video]
*Lindene Patton on Climate Liability*
greenmanbucket
Published on Jul 20, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdZ1GLmykrk

[Extinction Rebellion makes trouble]
*The anger towards Extinction Rebellion activists in Cardiff is simply
wrong - Will Hayward*
They caused chaos in Cardiff - and they were right to do so
For the last three days Castle Street and the bottom of North Road in
Cardiff has been at a standstill.

"What's new" right?
Except this time it was not choked off by bumper to bumper buses, taxis,
delivery drivers and commuters, all been driven mad by the fact no one
knows how the hatchings work at the Boulevard de Nantes junction.

This time it was instead blocked by a large boat and some friendly
climate protesters.

Considering they blocked a single road, they should be commended for the
sheer amount of chaos they caused - especially on that Monday when no
one was prepared for it. This included hours of tailbacks, people late
for work and critical services delayed.

However I don't want to commend them for the chaos they caused. I want
to commend them for their attempt to make our lives better. I want to
commend them for speaking up when others (myself included) can't be
bothered. Most of all I want to commend them for trying to save lives.

I am not going to try and act like the didn't cause chaos in Cardiff -
they did. Nor will I pretend that it didn't seriously inconvenience a
lot of people - it did.

I will be arguing that they were unequivocally justified in their
actions and that it was if anything an underreaction to the problems we
face.

So in order to justify their actions we first need to look at their aims.

They have three broad demands:
-- The government acts immediately to halt biodiversity loss and reduce
greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
-- The government tells the truth on the scale on the climate crisis
facing us.
-- The government set up and are led by a Citizens' Assembly on climate
change and the environment.
So let's break that down.

Is point one justified? Is action urgently needed to reduce greenhouse
gas emissions? Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt.

Bearing in mind that the literal job of scientist are to try and prove
each other wrong, the level of scientific agreement on the need for
action is overwhelming.

The last big report by the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
lists 829 authors. These are the leading experts in the world and they
warn that climate change poses devastating risks to our way of life
through the loss of species, rising sea levels and damage to our health,
food security, water supply and economic future.

To not believe them is same as if the best cancer doctor in the world
said "if you don't stop smoking you will die" and ignoring them.

In fact worse than that because it does not only affect you. It is more
like taking your child to the doctors, them being diagnosed with a
potentially fatal nut allergy and you just filling their bedroom with
nuts because you are partial to macadamia.

Is point two justified?

Again, the evidence is pretty overwhelming. The reaction, information
and rhetoric from government in the UK to the climate crisis has been
dismal.

Declaring you will be carbon neutral in three decades or simply
announcing a climate emergency falls woefully short of where we need to
be. The issue should infuse every sinew of government policy and
communication whether this is on the expansion of Heathrow or housing
regulations. Government needs to relentlessly signal to voters and
partners why this matters. Anything less is a cowardly dereliction of duty.

Point three is trickier to do in a 1,000 word column. The merits of
people's assemblies can take some unpicking (though many countries have
found them very valuable). However the reason why the protesters want
them is pretty hard to dispute.

They argue that action is needed so urgently that our current system in
Westminster is too slow and is weighed down by a lack of transparency
where lobbyists can exert undue influence to delay or stop the decisions
that need to be made. It is hard to argue with this.
The links between politicians and groups opposed to climate change
action are well documented. For instance the climate investigation
website DeSmog put together this map documenting these cosy relationships...
*- - Mapped: A Who's Who of Brexit and Climate Science Denial*
- - https://www.desmog.co.uk/2019/06/07/brexit-climate-denier-map

We have known about climate change for 40 years, surely our elected
representatives' lack of action says all you need to know about our
system's ability to deal with the crisis?

Right. So if their aims were justified, were their methods?

Their "method" was to block and then occupy one of Cardiff's busiest
streets for three days in order to draw attention to this issue. It
absolutely worked.

Everyone is talking about them. The issue has been kept at the top of
the news agenda. They have caught people's attention.

However in so doing they caused a lot of stress and discomfort for
people who were just trying to do their daily commute and go about their
lawful business. Some may have been on a zero-hours contract so actually
lost money for being late.

I think anyone who has bothered to look at the information will agree
that the cause was right but in asking if this method was justified you
need to think about if there was any other way.

Was there an alternative tactic that would not have inconvenienced
people but would have caught the same attention? I really can't think of
one (and if you can, I am sure they would genuinely love to hear from
you). Writing to their MP hasn't worked, action on social media hasn't
worked. Hell, even every credible scientist in the world saying action
is needed hasn't worked - what else can they do?

This is the greatest threat our species has ever faced and our leaders
have done so little it is like they are either stupid, lazy or just want
people to suffer.

If you really look at their protest I think it showed many of the things
that are truly great about Cardiff and Wales.

No arrests were made, no mess was left. They moved quickly to allow
emergency vehicles to pass meaning ambulances probably got through that
part of Cardiff quicker than usual. They were welcoming, friendly and
kind. Much-maligned young people were giving up their time to make the
world better.

When they cooked food in the evening they fed homeless people. They even
apologised! Compare this to some of the protests we have seen in the UK
over the last six months - night and day.

The police should be praised as well. It was measured and thoughtful
policing of a peaceful protest.

Throughout this column I have steered away from saying "their cause" or
the "protesters' cause".

This is not "their" cause.

This is a cause that matter to all of us and a problem for all of us.
Whether we choose not to accept or face it is irrelevant - it is coming.

I for one thank them for trying to make my world safer and healthier.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/news-opinion/extinction-rebellion-cardiff-climate-protest-16609441
- - -
[Extinction Rebellion hear BBC acting like FOX by its taunting]
**Dr. Rupert Read | BBC Radio 4 Today | Extinction Rebellion**
Extinction Rebellion
Published on Jul 17, 2019
17.07.2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIBxjdMECqg

*This Day in Climate History - July  22, 2015 - from D.R. Tucker*
The New York Times reports:

"About 60 mayors from around the world gathered here on Tuesday and
pledged to combat global warming and help the poor deal with its
effects, at a conference swiftly organized by the Vatican barely a
month after Pope Francis' sweeping encyclical on the environment.

"The two-day conference, which also focused on fighting forms of
modern slavery, was not the first time that the Vatican had
organized a meeting on the issue. But it was the first time that it
specifically invited local officials, hoping to mobilize grass-roots
action and maintain pressure on world leaders for action ahead of a
global summit meeting on climate change scheduled for December in
Paris."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/world/europe/mayors-at-vatican-pledge-efforts-against-climate-change.html