[TheClimate.Vote] July 28, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Jul 28 09:54:37 EDT 2019

/July 28, 2019/

[DW documentary video 5:30]
*Record temperature heatwave in Europe: The new normal? *
DW News Published on Jul 26, 2019
People in Europe are sweltering under another extreme heatwave. Across
the continent, records are being toppled one after another. In France,
Paris has a new record high of 42.6 degrees for the capital. And for the
second straight day, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium have all
recorded new all-time highs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVR5o7HKjgo

[Sunday -- Sermon for the Extinction Rebellion]
*This is Not a Drill - Missives from XR - Rev Karen G Johnston |
Extinction Rebellion*
Extinction Rebellion
Published on Jul 25, 2019
Bad news is accelerating on the climate crisis front. Also accelerating
are new movements in response. The Sunrise Movement here in the U.S. The
global student strike movement started by Swedish Greta Thunberg.
Extinction Rebellion, which started in the UK in October, 2018 and is
already world-wide. Just a month ago, they published a handbook, from
which this sermon takes its title.

Video rebroadcast courtesy of Unitarian Universalist Congregation of
Santa Fe https://www.uusantafe.org/

Reverend Karen G. Johnston https://www.uua.org/offices/people/ka... is
the settled minister at The Unitarian Society in East Brunswick, New
Jersey. She grew up in Oregon, raised her children in Western
Massachusetts, and now lives with her partner, dog, and cat in Central
Jersey.

"This is Not a Drill"
https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/314/314671/this-is-not-a-drill/9780141991443.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR7J7kIUqGs

[Wildfire watch]
*Arctic wildfires: What's caused huge swathes of flames to spread?*
Wildfires are ravaging the Arctic, with areas of northern Siberia,
northern Scandinavia, Alaska and Greenland engulfed in flames.

Lightning frequently triggers fires in the region but this year they
have been worsened by summer temperatures that are higher than average
because of climate change.

Plumes of smoke from the fires can be seen from space.

Mark Parrington, a wildfires expert at the Copernicus Atmosphere
Monitoring Service (Cams), described them as "unprecedented".

How bad is it?
There are hundreds of fires covering mostly uninhabited regions across
eastern Russia, northern Scandinavia, Greenland and Alaska.
See the map -
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/B9F8/production/_108080674_arctic_fires_640_v3-nc.png
But smoke is affecting wider surrounding areas, engulfing some places
completely.

Cities in eastern Russia have noted a significant decrease in air
quality since the fires started.
The smoke has reportedly reached Russia's Tyumen region in western
Siberia, six time zones away from the fires on the east coast.
In June, the fires released an estimated 50 megatonnes of carbon dioxide
- the equivalent of Sweden's annual carbon output, according to Cams...
- - -
"It is unusual to see fires of this scale and duration at such high
latitudes in June," said Mr Parrington.

"But temperatures in the Arctic have been increasing at a much faster
rate than the global average, and warmer conditions encourage fires to
grow and persist once they have been ignited."

Extremely dry ground and hotter than average temperatures, combined with
heat lightning and strong winds, have caused the fires to spread
aggressively.

The burning has been sustained by the forest ground, which consists of
exposed, thawed, dried peat - a substance with high carbon content.
Global satellites are now tracking a swathe of new and ongoing wildfires
within the Arctic Circle. The conditions were laid in June, the hottest
June for the planet yet observed in the instrumented era.

The fires are releasing copious volumes of previously stored carbon
dioxide and methane - carbon stocks that have in some cases been held in
the ground for thousands of years.

Scientists say what we're seeing is evidence of the kind of feedbacks we
should expect in a warmer world, where increased concentrations of
greenhouse gases drive more warming, which then begets the conditions
that release yet more carbon into the atmosphere.

A lot of the particulate matter from these fires will eventually come to
settle on ice surfaces further north, darkening them and thus
accelerating melting.
It's all part of a process of amplification...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49125391
- -
[From WildfireToday]
Milepost 97 Fire spreads south
The fire is 25 miles north of Grants Pass, Oregon
The Milepost 97 Fire in southwest Oregon has spread south 6.5 miles
since it started just south of Canyonville Wednesday night. A mapping
flight at 11:30 p.m. PDT Friday found that it had reached to within 2
miles of Azalea and 7 miles northeast of Glendale. It has burned over
8,800 acres. (a map is below)

So far the fire has paralleled Interstate 5 on the west side of the
freeway, which has remained open. However the southbound off-ramp at
Exit 95 (Canyon Creek) three miles south of Canyonville was closed
Friday night.
https://wildfiretoday.com/tag/milepost-97-fire/
- -
[free advertisement for "Super fighting tool" - literally a tank - a
tool of our times]
see the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D50OJlkhkYY
*'Sustained Wildfire Suppression'*
Innovation in Sustained Wildfire Suppression
The Arcus Wildtrack is a fusion of existing COTS technology primarily
developed from the winter sports/snow industry, the donor chassis is
either a Powerbully 5T or a Prinoth Panther T8 and the water turbine is
either an EMI Controls turbine or an HKD Blue turbine specifically
designed for Arcus Fire and our vehicles.

The innovative capability to accept water from helicopter water buckets
to refill and continue suppressing wildfires over long distances with no
road access is something that cannot be underestimated. These true
all-terrain vehicles are happy in just about all topography environments.

Several studies have been conducted on the issue of (AFUE) Aerial
Firefighting Use and Effectiveness including this study undertaken by
Airbus Helicopters, as well as the USFS in 2001 here
https://www.arcusfire.com/arcus-wildtrack

[The Great Ocean Divide]
*More than two million square kilometers are being carved up, leaving
little for the rest of the world*
By Mark Fischetti, Katie Peek | Scientific American August 2019 Issue
The Great Ocean Divide
Credit: Katie Peek
The five countries with coastlines along the Arctic Ocean are making a
case to the Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf for
"extended continental shelf"—seafloor beyond their exclusive economic
zones—to gain rights to resources on and under the seabed. (The water
stays open to all people, according to international law.) The countries
will have to settle large overlaps, notably around the North Pole and
the Lomonosov Ridge. Only a small parcel or two of seafloor might remain
open for the rest of the world...
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-great-ocean-divide/

[Thanks NPR - message delivered, at least on a weekend show]
*Opinion: Is Anything More Urgent Than The Temperature Of Our Planet?*
JUL 27, 2019 BY Scott Simon
It's hot: historically, treacherously, hot this week, in surprising places.

109 degrees in Paris, the highest temperature ever recorded there.
People plunged into the Trocadero fountains to cool down, while
officials worried some of the charred walls of Notre Dame Cathedral that
didn't fall in last April's fire might now dry out and collapse in the
furnace of summer heat.

Scorching new records were also set in Belgium, the Netherlands,
Britain, and Germany, where the Richard Wagner Festival opened in
Bayreuth in the un-air-conditioned swelter of a 19th-Century opera house.

If there's anything more intimidating than a 3 and a half hour German
opera, it's sitting through it in one hundred degree heat.

Northern Europe is not Dallas or Miami. The great cities on the
continent have not been built to function in the kind of heat and
humidity that has struck there in recent years.

More than 70,000 people died in the 2003 European heat wave. At least
650 more people died during extreme summer heat in Britain last year.
The hottest summers in Europe for the past 500 years have all occurred
in just the past 17 years. What do all those new heat records show if
not that the climate is changing?

The heat is especially dangerous for young children and older people,
and onerous for everyone. Bob Ward of Britain's Grantham Research
Institute on Climate Change and the Environment says scientists should
name heat waves, as they do hurricanes, because they're public health
emergencies.

Thousands of miles from Europe's summer heat, the Copernicus Atmosphere
Monitoring Service has followed more than 100 wildfires that have
erupted in the Arctic since June. Scientists say the number of wildfires
in Siberia, Greenland, and Alaska is "unprecedented." And the cinders
from those fires drift down on ice and snow, which then absorb sunlight,
causing even more warming in the Arctic.

Our earth is in the middle of what may be the hottest summer on record.
We've already lived through the hottest June. This may turn out to be
the hottest July.

A number of years from now, how many other important news stories we
speak about this week will be as urgent as the temperature of our
planet? [Copyright 2019 NPR]
https://kuow.org/stories/opinion-is-anything-more-urgent-than-the-temperature-of-our-planet

[boots on the ground]
*U.S. Soldiers Falling Ill, Dying in the Heat as Climate Warms*
At least 17 service members have died from heat illnesses in the past
decade, and the rise in heat stress injuries suggests the military isn't
prepared for worse.
By David Hasemyer
JUL 23, 2019...
In 2008, 1,766 cases of heat stroke or heat exhaustion were diagnosed
among active-duty service members, according to military data. By 2018,
that figure had climbed to 2,792, an increase of almost 60 percent over
the decade. All branches of the military saw a rise in heat-related
illnesses, but the problem was most pronounced in the Marine Corps,
which saw the rate of heat strokes more than double from 2008 to 2018,
according to military data.
The troops who died of heat exposure are among the most extreme examples
of how a warming world poses a threat to military personnel, both at
home and abroad...
- -
The investigation found that despite acknowledging the risks of climate
change, the military continues to wrestle with finding a sustainable,
comprehensive strategy for how to train in sweltering conditions. The
military's investigative reports, often heavily redacted, show evidence
of disregard for heat safety rules that led to the deaths of service
members. The reports document a poor level of awareness of the dangers
of heat illness and the decisions of commanders who pushed troops beyond
prudent limits in extremely hot conditions...
- - -
One challenge in getting commanders to treat the heat threat as an
urgent priority is that global warming is an increasingly taboo topic in
the military under President Donald Trump, who has called climate change
a hoax. In testimony before Congress, generals and admirals continue to
flag climate change broadly as a threat to national security. But
Trump's stance makes it difficult for leaders at some levels to frame
the heat problem as an urgent climate change threat, according to
interviews with retired officers, defense academics and current military
personnel.

"No one is going to talk about climate change because of the political
aspect and who is in the White House," a military official, who asked to
remain anonymous, said. "It's a career killer to talk about something in
opposition to that of the administration."

There is a ripple effect to this silence, said Alice Hill, a National
Security Council official under President Barack Obama who focused on
climate and security...
- - -
"I'm going to choose my words carefully," she said in an interview
accompanied by a military public affairs officer. "Temperatures are
increasing; heat waves are more frequent and putting people at increased
risk. We believe there is an overwhelming amount of scientific evidence
that points to global warming. That is an obvious statement of fact. The
thing about science and fact is — it doesn't matter if you believe them
or not, it remains fact."

Galer wrote a 2018 white paper on heat-related illnesses as a blueprint
for how the military can face this climate threat. She cited a "tragedy
loop" in which heat awareness is redoubled after a training death but
then fades with time — until another soldier dies.

"As prudent physicians," Galer said, "we need to prepare for a future
where temperatures are increasing."..
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/23072019/military-heat-death-illness-climate-change-risk-security-global-warming-benning-bragg-chaffee
- - - -
[Clips from a long testimony on policy global warming risk]
*Admiral Phillips and Admiral Titley to House Budget Committee: The
Security Costs of Climate Change*
https://climateandsecurity.org/2019/07/26/admiral-phillips-and-titley-to-house-budget-committee-the-security-costs-of-climate-change/
- - -
[Headlines clipped from 15 page statement to House Budget Committee]
*The Cost of Climate Change: From Coasts to Heartland, Health to Security*
David W Titley, Rear Admiral USN (Ret.), Ph.D.
Founder, Center for Solutions to Weather and Climate Risk
Statement to the United State House of Representatives
Committee on the Budget
[Clipped from major comments:]
*The extremes of yesterday do not foretell the extremes of tomorrow:...*
...While we plan for climate, we live in weather - its day-to-day
variations, and more
importantly, its extremes. The challenge for readiness and resilience is
to ensure our
military bases and infrastructure are designed for and can withstand the
extremes
tomorrow - which we will not understand by simply looking back over the
past 50 or 100
years.
*The rapid and continual change in climate will have significant impacts*
***on our national security:.. *
The days of climate stability that we have experienced for most of human
civilization are over. All aspects of society, including the security
enterprise, will no longer be able to assume that "the past is prologue"
when considering the future physical environment. Specifically, the
changing climate impacts National Security in three major ways:

    *Changing the battlespace, or the physical environment in which our*
    *Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines will operate. *The Arctic is
    a prime
    example of an operational environment that is changing rapidly today...
    *Posing increasing risks to the Department of Defense's bases and
    training*
    *ranges.* Without fully operational bases and training ranges in the
    United States,
    in addition to key overseas bases, U.S. forces cannot maintain the
    levels of
    readiness required...to execute our defense missions. In addition to
    sea level rise
    threatening our coastal installations, other bases and training
    ranges are at risk
    from increased frequency and severity of wildfires, droughts and
    floods not
    previously experienced. In addition, sustained smoke from wildfires
    and an
    increasing number of days with excessive heat and humidity can
    significantly
    degrade the training value of that base or range...
    *...changing climate can make already unstable situations worse,
    sometimes*
    *catastrophically so.* Climate change is rarely the sole
    contribution to a nationstate failing, or conflict breaking out.
    However, it can be a powerful link in a chain of events that, if not
    broken can lead to runaway instability. While large scale human
    suffering often accompanies these situations, U.S. military forces
    are frequently directed to these areas and our troops are placed at
    risk. As we have
    seen with Syria, once the geopolitical situation deteriorates to a
    point where there
    are no good policy options, other opportunistic countries can move
    in and exploit
    the instability to their advantage - to the detriment of U.S. interests.

*We know how to succeed even when the future is not perfectly known:*
Traditional risk planning takes the chance or probability of an event
and multiplies it by
the impact. But even when it is difficult to assess the likelihood of a
specific event, there
are still available methods by which risk planning and mitigation can be
accomplished.
Our national security teams frequently have to account for these "deep
uncertainties" and
they have a variety of tools to assist them...

*There are actions we can and should take today.
*The Department of Defense should resource and take actions today that
will buy down some of the nearest-term risk, ensure that
climate-sensible policies already in place are followed, and lay the
groundwork for continued adaptation to a changing climate...

*Risks to National Security from Rapid Climate Change*
*The security establishment does not view this issue as partisan.* At
its most fundamental
level, this is simply about the ensuring current and readiness of our
Armed Forces and
managing externally imposed risks...I will highlight several of these risks.

*Security Issues in the Arctic*
Over the past few years in the Arctic, we have seen an almost
exponential rise in the activity in
the Arctic; more shipping, more resource extraction and more posturing
for control over the
resources...We assess that today we do not have the communications
equipment, navigation aids,
and sufficient ice hardened ships to respond to natural or manmade
disasters in that fragile area
or to protect our vital interests. In other words, we are not prepared
in the short term for the rate
of increase and we must invest today in increasing our capability and
capacity...

*The Arctic's physical environment is changing faster than any other
place on****Earth today:*
Today's Arctic climate continues to warm at a rate twice that of the
rest of the
world. Temperatures at the North Pole the past three years have reached
the freezing point - in
the middle of winter. Prior to 2016, this was virtually unheard of.
While these days make
headlines - especially when it's colder in Washington than at the North
Pole - the real news is
how much less cold there is in the Arctic relative to even 30 years ago.
Over the past three
winters, most of the central Arctic has been 5 to 7 degrees Fahrenheit
warmer than normal. To
put this into comparison: that much warming in Washington DC would make
the winters here
more like those in North Carolina.
One of the many effects of this tremendous warming has been to thin the
ice. 30 years ago, there
was nearly as much old hard thick ice (scientists call it 'multiyear
ice') as there was first year ice.
Now nearly 80% of the ice you see in any picture of the Arctic is
softer, thinner first year ice,
and only 20% of the ice has lasted for more than one year. So the Arctic
sea-ice is changing in
two ways: it's not only decreasing in extent, losing over 13% each
decade each September, but
it is also rapidly thinning. Combined, these changes lead to a much more
variable, dynamic ice
pack that will make maritime transportation more tempting, more feasible
- and paradoxically
more hazardous due to rapidly changing and less predictable conditions.

*Our rivals are paying close attention to the changing Arctic, even if
we were****not:*
While the United States has shown, at best, sporadic and episodic
interest in the Artic, our
great power rivals, as defined in our National Security Strategy, have
made deliberate
investments in planning and resources. The Russians are actively
monetizing their Northern Sea
Route and rebuilding their Arctic military capabilities, albeit from a
very low post-cold war
level. After western sanctions were imposed following Russian actions in
Crimea and the
Ukraine, Russia has courted Chinese investment for their fossil fuel
industry. China meanwhile
released its Arctic Strategy in January of this year. China declares
itself to be a "near Arctic
State" and hopes to jointly build a "Polar Silk Road" - likely the
Northern Sea Route -- as the
northern flank in its "Belt and Road" initiative. China continues to
court the Nordic states and
Greenland, likely looking for a combination of natural resources and an
Atlantic terminus to any
future trans-polar shipping route.

*There is still time to execute a deliberate strategy that will assert
our economic**
**and security interests, assure our allies, and ensure we are ready for
the**
**future that will be very different than the past: *
In May 2009, at the direction of then Chief of Naval Operations Admiral
Gary Roughead, I initiated and led the U.S. Navy Task Force
on Climate Change. The U.S. Navy started this task force, not in
response to any perceived
political pressure, but as a reaction to the collapse of sea-ice in the
Arctic in the summer of 2007.
Admiral Roughead asked me to assess the conditions in the Arctic and
provide him with
recommendations for the Navy's response. My conclusions were that the
sea-ice collapse in the
Arctic, which happened well ahead of most of the computer models of the
time, was the leading
edge of climate changes to come that would change the operating
environment for the Navy.
The goal of Task Force Climate Change was to prepare, in a deliberate
manner, the U.S. Navy
for this future environment, with an emphasis on getting ready for the
Arctic, as it was the
change that would likely impact the Navy first.
In 2009 I characterized the Arctic as "a challenge but not a crisis".
However, I said if we
ignored changes in the Arctic or were slow to respond, we heighten the
risk of the region
becoming a crisis. We need to address the Arctic taking a "system of
systems" approach. We
need to address our security, economic, scientific and certainly social
issues in the Arctic, while
simultaneously understanding the motives and intentions of Russia and
China and assuring our
allies and friends.

*Shipping Issues in the Arctic*
"it's complicated".
- It's cold and austere...It's dark for many months in the wintertime. As
the ice thins and breaks up it becomes even more difficult to predict.
- There is much work still to do charting safe passages and routes for
arctic shipping...However, much
of the Arctic Ocean has yet to be surveyed to modern standards.
- If you get in trouble, you may be on your own. Although the Arctic
Council has led the
implementation of both a Search & Rescue and a Marine Oil Spill
Agreements, it's one
thing to have a signed agreement, and another to have the resources and
training (we
would call this 'readiness' in the military) to be able to respond
effectively when the call
comes.
-The combined impacts of the above-listed bullet [point]s give shippers,
and more importantly,
insurers, pause when running shipping through the Arctic.
- The current routes available for navigating across the Arctic, that is
the Northern Sea
Route across Russia's coast and the Northwest Passage through the Canadian
archipelago, have significant draft limitations for modern commercial
shipping. The
Northwest Passage is also a technically demanding navigation detail,
particularly in
waters subjected to high winds, poor visibility, and rapidly varying and
unpredictable ice
conditions.
- Both Canada and Russia claim parts of their respective sea routes
through the Arctic as
'internal waters'. While the U.S. does not recognize these claims, the
lack of agreement
in governance of specific waters adds uncertainty to any risk equation.
- The current business model of the container fleets stresses both
reliability of delivery date
and shipping very large numbers of containers to reduce fixed costs. As
of today, and
likely for the next 10-20 years, those constraints will continue.
Once a seasonally icefree trans-arctic route opens up, most probably
sometime in the 2030's,
these conditions might change.
- We should always be aware of the potential for disruptive change. The
liquefied natural
gas (LNG) carrier Christophe de Margerie class of ships set a transit
speed record for a
commercial ship across the Northern Sea Route in August 2017. Another
ship in the
class transited the Northern Sea Route in February 2018 with no
icebreaker assistance.
While it's possible these are 'one off' events - many revolutions are
not recognized until
they are well underway

*Risks to our Military Installations*
While the direct risks to our military installations from rising sea
levels and associated storm
surges receive most of the public attention, it's important to examine
each installation in a
systematic manner in a broader geographic, physical, and hydrological
context and understand
the range of potential climate and weather-related impacts that should
prudently be planned for
within a given range of years or decades. In addition to understanding
the type, frequency,
severity and likelihood of climate-related impacts, a complete analysis
needs to account for how
well an installation deals with such impacts today; stated another way,
what is the threshold,
when the impact transitions from manageable, to critically impacting
life or mission
accomplishment. An example would be what magnitude of storm surge
breeches a levy, or how
many black flag days delay training to the point where a unit would be
delayed in achieving its
certification to deploy.
Second-order impacts from the direct climate or weather event need to be
considered. Examples
would be for the potential of sea level rise to contaminate fresh-water
drinking aquifers before
the water physically floods an installation, or the smoke from
significant wildfires disrupting
training even if the flames are not physically on the installation and
the troops are not re-directed
to firefighting efforts.
We must remember that virtually all of our installations are imbedded
in, and are part of, larger
communities and of resilience-relevant systems and actions well beyond
those installations and
communities. Simply 'walling off' or protecting only the physical base
will not be effective.
Many of our military and civilians who are stationed on, and work at the
installation, live offbase.
Many of the essential services, such as power, water, fuel, sewer and
communications
come from beyond the fence line. So even if the base itself is OK, if
key access roads start to
flood routinely with high tides, such as is becoming the case in Norfolk
Virginia, there can be an
impact to mission effectiveness. Likewise, if the property values become
impacted in
neighborhoods where our troops or civilians are living, that can be a
large distraction and
negatively impact the Department's competition for top talent.
Extreme weather events affecting an installation can have impacts even
for our forces deployed
downrange. If that home-base is providing critical reach-back support to
the forward deployed
forces, that support may need to shift to another concept of operations.
More substantively, it is
a huge distractions and impact on morale if you are forward-deployed and
see your family
dealing with the aftermath of a natural disaster without your presence.
Senior leaders have
known for decades that military personnel have the highest readiness
when they understand their
families' basic needs and safety have been met. A weather event such as
Hurricane Florence
impacting Fort Bragg and Camp Lejeune or Hurricane Michael's destruction
of the Florida
panhandle, particularly Tyndall Air Force Base, can significantly impact
the mission
effectiveness of our troops already deployed in harm's way.
Additionally, we need to address climate-related risks to not only to
our installations as such, but
also to the key military and civilian air and seaports critical to the
deployment and sustainment of
our forces, equipment, and supplies.
Finally, we need to account for climate-related risks when assessing our
critical installations
beyond the Continental U.S. Bases in regions such as Japan, Singapore
and Diego Garcia should
all be examined in the same way we consider our installations in Texas,
California, Florida or
Virginia.

*Climate Risk Interacts with other large 21st Century Trends*
We should remember that the risks posed by rapid climate change do not
exist in a vacuum.
They affect, and are affected by, other large-scale 21st century trends:
population growth,
urbanization, expanding demand for food, energy and water resources, and
globalization. The
2014 CNA Military Advisory Board (MAB) report on the "Accelerating Risks
of Climate
Change2 expands on this theme. Half a billion people have been added
since 2007 and another half billion will be added by 2025.
Most of this growth is in Africa and Asia, two of the areas likely to be
most impacted by climate change.
Nearly half of the world now lives in urban areas with 16 out of 20 of
the largest urban areas being near coastlines.
- -
The result is more of the world's population is at risk from extreme
weather events and sea level rise.
There is a global increase in the middle class with an accompanying
growth in demand for food, water, and
energy. The National Intelligence Community predicts that by 2030 demand
for food would
increase by 35 percent, fresh water by 40 percent, and energy 50
percent. Even without the
climate changing, it will be a challenge to meet these growth targets.
Climate change will further
stress the world's ability to produce food and drinkable water at levels
necessary to meet
demand. A 2012 National Intelligence Council assessment found that water
challenges will
likely increase the risk of instability and state failure, exacerbate
regional tensions, and divert
attention from working with the United States and other key allies on
important policy
objectives. Finally, the world is becoming more politically complex and
economically and
financially interdependent. As such, it is no longer adequate to think
of the projected climate
impacts to any one region of the world in isolation. Climate change
impacts, combined with
globalization, transcend international borders and geographic areas of
responsibility.
These are the 'big picture' statistics - but we also know that not every
extreme weather event
leads to a security crisis. Much work has been accomplished and
continues to be done in this
area. The graphic (below) of my conceptual model accounts for extreme
weather, a threshold for
a specific type of weather disaster (e.g., level of storm surge or fresh
water flooding, sufficient
drought and heat to cause near total crop failure, etc.), and finally
the national and international
response to the crisis. These factors interact with each other and can
explain some of the very
different results we see around the world for a given extreme weather or
climate situation.

*Risks to our Taxpayers**
*In addition to the mission and readiness issues raised above, the
cumulative impact of the ever increasing frequency and severity of
extreme weather raises serious financial questions...both the absolute
number of billion-dollar disasters and their annual cost (CPI-adjusted)
are increasing...A financial risk that has not been widely discussed
with respect to climate change, and especially the risk from sea-level
rise, is that for all practical purposes, the need for dozens and even
hundreds of coastal communities to adapt to rising seas will occur
simultaneously. It will be very difficult to space out the expenditures
over multiple decades, or said another way, to tell one portion of the
country to wait while we attempt to fix a different section of coastline...

*Recommendations*
So, what should we do?*Overall, I recommend a risk management approach.*
The Defense
Department will be managing (as opposed to solving) these
climate-related risks for the
foreseeable future. A risk management approach requires knowledge of the
number, type, and
severity of impacts, where and how widespread they are expected to be,
what are the effects on
mission readiness if unabated, and the cost to 'buy down' these risks,
compared to the value of
maintaining mission readiness. There is of course some degree of
inherent uncertainty in all
these values - and that uncertainty needs to be accounted for as well.

One action that could be taken today is to ensure no future installation
or infrastructure
appropriation is obligated before some common-sense review of climate
impacts for the
projected lifespan of that infrastructure. The degree of hardening for
climate and extreme
weather impacts should be commensurate with the criticality of that
specific infrastructure.

*five specific recommendations for  managing climate risks on military
installations... *
...recommend the Department of Defense,
specifically Naval Oceanography and the U.S. Air Force Weather Service,
in collaboration
with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the U.S.
Global Climate
Research Program administered by the Office of Science and Technology
Policy, produce
climate information, recognized as authoritative by the Department of
Defense, that can
inform risk management decisions on time and space scales and parameters
that matter.
--...I recommend the Department of Defense...produce climate information,
recognized as authoritative by the Department of Defense, that can
inform risk management
decisions on time and space scales and parameters that matter.

-- Using a deliberate process, develop over the next 5 to 10 years, a
'climate impacts' handbook
for each installation and critical node in the deployment system. While
each installation is
different, standardize the handbook to the degree practical.

-- Build on and expand existing authorities, programs, and resources to
ensure the Department
of Defense, working in collaboration with other federal agencies, and
State, local and tribal
authorities, ... should include developing and sustaining a
comprehensive system to provide the Department of Defense with current
and detailed
information about the relevant resilience and risk mitigation projects
and plans of non-DoD
entities throughout the broader geographic area within which
installations are located

*-- The Congress should obtain periodic external or internal*
assessments of how the Department is adhering to its own directive with
respect to managing
climate risk.

*-- Over the past several years, we have witnessed billions of dollars
of damage sustained on**
**Defense installations as a result of extreme weather, much of which
has arguably been**
**intensified by our changing climate.* No one wished for these damages
to happen, but the
fact that they occurred now provides the opportunity to collect and
share lessons learned and
best practices across the services and department. Especially for bases
that had already
undertaken some resilience preparations, what worked and what did not.
What additional
tools, capacities, authorities or resources would have been most useful
to maximize
resilience? How did natural and built protective infrastructure perform?
Are there lessons
learned that would help the department make better decisions with
respect to installation
energy resilience?

In closing, our country is dealing with a significant change in the
world's climate; it is a very
serious challenge and if we do not manage this risk climate change,
unchecked, will make many
of our existing threats worse. But our country has met challenges of
this magnitude before and
succeeded - and we will do so again. While we don't know everything -
and we never will - we
do know more than enough to act now. By focusing our efforts in a
risk-based framework on
meeting the climate challenge, we can prepare for the short-term while
shaping our longer-term
future. We can provide the policies, stability and guidance our country
needs to unleash our
country's energy, creativity and initiative...
more -
https://budget.house.gov/sites/democrats.budget.house.gov/files/documents/Titley_Testimony.pdf

*This Day in Climate History - July 28, 2014- from D.R. Tucker*
July 28, 2014:  MSNBC's Ed Schultz condemns Washington's refusal to take
the climate crisis seriously.
http://www.msnbc.com/the-ed-show/watch/climate-change-impact-on-congressional-races-313099843876#
http://www.msnbc.com/the-ed-show/watch/dangerous-oceanic-exploration-off-the-east-coast-313100867952#