[TheClimate.Vote] March 9, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Mar 9 11:20:37 EST 2019

/March 9, 2019/

{New Baba Brinkman videos - rapper, educator, philosopher}
*Redemption (feat Jessie Davis) – Baba Brinkman Music Video*
https://youtu.be/d0awFSnTeI4
*Rap Guide to Climate Chaos*
("Passionate and engaging... and very funny" – The Stage) explores the
science, politics, and economics of the world's hottest topic with equal
parts humor and urgency.
https://www.sohoplayhouse.com/soho-playhouse-events/2018/12/30/baba-brinkmans-rap-guide-to-climate-chaos-4rely-xdyaa-8pw56-ze2p3-c8l87
Baba Brinkman's YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9Qm66ewnY0LAlZlL4HK9g

[Rain melts snow faster than sunshine]
*Rain may be causing a worrying amount of ice to melt in Greenland*
ENVIRONMENT 7 - March 2019
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2195972-rain-may-be-causing-a-worrying-amount-of-ice-to-melt-in-greenland/
- - -
[CBS news reports on study]
*Unusual winter rains driving sea level rise in the Arctic*
BY LYNNE EDWARDS - MARCH 7, 2019
Warmer air is turning what should be snowfall in the Arctic to rainfall,
which could accelerate sea level rise beyond current predictions.
Researchers are warning that rainy weather is becoming increasingly
common over parts of the Greenland ice sheet, triggering sudden melting
events that are eating away at the ice and priming the surface for more
widespread melting in the future.

A study published Thursday in the scientific journal Cryosphere says
some parts of the ice sheet are even receiving rain in the winter -- a
new phenomenon that will spread as the Earth's climate continues to warm.

Greenland has been losing ice in recent decades due to progressive
warming. Since about 1990, average temperatures over the ice sheet have
increased by as much as 3.2 degrees in the summer, and up to 5.4 degrees
over the winter. The 660,000-square-mile sheet is now believed to be
losing about 270 billion tons of ice each year.

Most of the ice loss was, until recently, thought to come from icebergs
calving, or breaking off into the ocean. But direct meltwater runoff has
now come to dominate, accounting for about 70 percent of the loss, the
study published in Cryosphere says. Rainy weather, the study's authors
say, is increasingly the trigger for that runoff.

The researchers combined satellite imagery with on-the-ground weather
observations from 1979 to 2012 in order to pinpoint what was triggering
melting in specific places. Satellites are used to map melting in real
time because their imagery can distinguish snow from liquid water. The
scientists also used a camera-equipped drone to map the area.
For the study, 20 automated weather stations spread across the ice sheet
offered data on temperature, wind and precipitation. Combining the data
sets, the researchers zeroed in on more than 300 events in which they
found the initial trigger for melting was rainy weather.

"That was a surprise to see," said the study's lead author, Marilena
Oltmanns, of Germany's GEOMAR Centre for Ocean Research. She said that
over the study period, melting associated with rain doubled during
summer and tripled in the winter.

Total precipitation over the ice sheet did not change; what did change
was the form of precipitation. All told, the researchers estimate that
nearly a third of total runoff they observed was initiated by rainfall.
Melting can be driven by a number of factors, but the introduction of
liquid water is one of the most powerful, said Mark Tedesco, a
glaciologist at Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
and co-author of the study.
Warm air, of course, can melt ice directly, but is not very efficient by
itself, he said. But warmer temperatures produce cascading effects, one
being the likelihood of rain falling when snow typically should.

Liquid water carries a great deal of heat, and when it soaks into a
snowy surface, it melts the snow around it, releasing more energy.
Meanwhile, the warmer air that brought the rain often forms clouds,
which hold the heat closer to the Earth's surface.

Between 1993 and 2014, global sea-level rise accelerated from about 2.2
millimeters (0.19 inches) per year to 3.3 millimeters (0.13 inches), and
much of that acceleration is thought to be due to melting of the
Greenland ice sheet. Projections of sea-level rise for the end of this
century generally range from two to four feet, but most of those
projections don't account for the myriad conditions impacting the ice in
Greenland, or the fate of the much larger ice mass in Antarctica.

CBS News correspondent Mark Phillips joined NASA scientists last fall as
they conducted "Operation Icebridge," a surveillance mission to study
the Antarctic ice sheet.

"The Antarctic ice sheet is discharging more than two Olympic sized
swimming pools worth of ice, into the ocean, every second," the
mission's alarmed chief scientist Joe MacGregor told Phillips.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/unusual-winter-rains-driving-sea-level-rise-in-the-arctic/

[podcast interview with Berners-Lee]
*WHY CLIMATE CHANGE IS NOT JUST AN ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUE*
MARCH 8, 2019 - JEFF SCHECHTMAN
Some have decried the Green New Deal because it touches on numerous
areas outside of climate change, including universal health care, a
universal basic income, job guarantees and worker rights. The assumption
has been that climate change exists in some kind of a vacuum.

Mike Berners-Lee, an English researcher, writer on greenhouse gases,
professor at Lancaster University, and our guest on this week's
WhoWhatWhy podcast, argues that the critics have it all wrong -- because
everything is connected.

We cannot even begin to address climate change without also looking at
food, biodiversity, income inequality, population, plastics, and more.

Berners-Lee says that the challenges facing humanity today are
inescapably global and interconnected. It no longer works, he tells Jeff
Schechtman, to tackle environmental issues one at a time or to keep
science, economics, sociology, politics, and psychology separate from
one another. All parts of our complex global system must be addressed
simultaneously if we are to have any positive impact.

Despite all our individual and collective efforts with alternative
energy and conservation, we have not made even the slightest improvement
in the global "carbon curve," Berners-Lee says. Moreover, in a kind of
environmental Catch-22, it turns out that greater energy efficiency can
sometimes increase carbon output.

Nevertheless, Berners-Lee is slightly optimistic that we can solve some
of these problems and improve our global quality of life.

After all, he reminds us, Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos notwithstanding, it's
very unlikely that we're going to find another planet to move to anytime
soon. As Berners-Lee says, "there is no planet B."...
- - -
So if you look at the climate, if you look at the carbon emissions
curve, it's carrying on rising year by year exactly as we might've
predicted it would've done if humans had never noticed that climate
change was an issue. So in other words, if you look at the sum total of
all the talk and debate and policy making and targets and actions on
every scale, from the individual to the company to the state, if you add
all of that up, the sum total of it is absolutely no change whatsoever...
- - -
And one of the things about the free market is that … a totally
unconstrained free market, is that it doesn't have the capability to
deal with a global challenge. It doesn't have the capability to deal
with a situation where the individualistic needs of small parts of the
market don't fit with the overall global systemic need that we need to
respond to. So we're going to need … there are clearly some areas in
however you're feeling about this, it's pretty easy to prove that at
least in some places, it is going to be essential to put some
interventions into the market.
      So one example is, we need a global constraint on the fossil
fuels. And actually, there are other examples as well around resource
uses. There are links to the fossil fuel, there are some things about
land and food, and so on. And we could talk about a good handful of
clear constraints that need to be introduced. So markets absolutely,
yes, but totally free ones, they can't help us deal with the Anthropocene...
- - -
...there's kind of a race going on between the science of what's
happening in the world and the human response to it. Who's going to get
there first? Are we going to wake up first? Or is the system going to
collapse first? So it's absolutely, the race is on.
- - -
If we're going to make all the change that it takes to deal with climate
change, we kind of may as well deal with everything else while we're at
it. Because it's actually not so much more bother. If you look at the
things around the food and land system that deal with climate change,
actually they're very, very similar. They're the same things that will
help us preserve our biodiversity and help us fend off our antibiotics
crisis and feed a growing global population. So from every perspective,
it's the same sorts of actions that will help us. And in terms of the
thoughtfulness with which we need to go about our daily lives and the
way that we need to tune into what our impacts are on the planet and on
all the other people around the planet, wherever they live in the world,
it's that same thoughtfulness that will help us deal with all the other
environmental situations that are rising upwards.
https://whowhatwhy.org/2019/03/08/why-climate-change-is-not-just-an-environmental-issue/

[Release the floodwaters...]
*Citing 'Permanent Oil Price Decline,' Norwegian Fund's Fossil Fuel
Divestment Could Spark Global 'Shockwave' *
www.commondreams.org
"The decision should sound like a red alert for private banks and
investors whose oil and gas assets are becoming increasingly risky and
morally untenable," say climate campaigners
by Jon Queally, staff writer
In a move that climate campaigners say should send a "shockwave" through
the global oil and gas industry, the Norwegian Sovereign Wealth
Fund--the largest of its kind in the world--has recommended the Norway
government divest the entirety of the fund's $40 billion holdings from
the fossil fuel industry.
In a statement on Friday, Minister of Finance Siv Jensen explained the
decision is meant to "reduce the vulnerability" of the Norwegian fund
"to permanent oil price decline." With an estimated $1 trillion in total
holdings, Norway's Sovereign Wealth Fund is the largest publicly held
investment in the world. According to a spokesperson for the finance
ministry, the fund currently has roughly 66 billion Norwegian krone
($7.5 billion) invested in energy exploration and production
stocks--approximately 1.2% of the fund's stock portfolio.

The recommendation from the Norwegian fund will now be sent to the
nation's parliament for approval.

Climate groups that have pushed aggressively for divestment from the
fossil fuel industry in recent years as a key way to decrease the threat
of greenhouse gases and runaway global warming celebrated the
announcement as a possible crucial turning point.

"We welcome and support this proposal," said Yossi Cadan, senior
divestment campaigner at 350.org, "if it passes through parliament it
will produce a shockwave in the market, dealing the largest blow to date
to the illusion that the fossil fuel industry still has decades of
business as usual ahead of it. The decision should sound like a red
alert for private banks and investors whose oil and gas assets are
becoming increasingly risky and morally untenable."

Bill McKibben, one of the group's co-founders, called it a "huge, huge,
huge win."
In a statement, 350 added:

    In order to avoid the most catastrophic impacts of climate change
    and keep global warming below 1.5°C we have to keep fossil fuels in
    the ground and shift finance towards sustainable energy solutions
    for all. Climate impacts are already hitting home and we have no
    time left to lose. Last year Nordic heatwaves, wildfires in the
    Arctic Circle and alarming news of the thickest Arctic sea ice
    starting to break up, showed how climate change is close to home for
    Norway. It seems unthinkable for Norwegian financiers to continue to
    invest in companies that are causing this chaos.

Catherine Howarth, chief executive of ShareAction, which provides
analysis for investors focused on creating a more sustainable society,
said the Norwegian fund's announcement "is further evidence that
investors are growing increasingly dissatisfied with oil exploration and
production companies."..

Institutional investors that manage sovereign wealth funds and pensions
funds, she added,  "are withdrawing their capital from oil and gas
companies on the grounds that quicker-than-expected growth in clean
energy and associated regulation is making oil and gas business models
highly vulnerable. This announcement will put pressure on investors to
ramp up their engagement with integrated oil majors ahead of [annual
general meeting] season" when stock holders gather to assess and review
company performance and strategies.

While the financial reality of the climate crisis comes into increasing
view for global investors and markets, 350.org says that credit belongs
to the campaigners from around the world who have bravely stood up to
demand an end to the financial and energy hegemony of the fossil fuel
industry.

At the heart of the global divestment campaign, the group said, "is a
people-powered grassroots movement--it's ordinary people pushing their
local institutions to take a stand against the fossil fuel industry
--the industry most responsible for the current climate crisis."

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike
3.0 License
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/03/08/citing-permanent-oil-price-decline-norwegian-funds-fossil-fuel-divestment-could

[How many?]
*Atlantic Coast Pipeline Offers Only Two Dozen Permanent Jobs*
Sharon Kelly, DeSmogBlog
The companies building the Atlantic Coast Pipeline say the project will
support 17,000 jobs -- no small amount of work anywhere, but especially
in parts of West Virginia where the economy has long relied on coal
mining. However, an investigation spearheaded by high school students
revealed that the pipeline will barely create any permanent jobs...
https://truthout.org/articles/atlantic-coast-pipeline-offers-only-two-dozen-permanent-jobs/

[getting to know what we don't know]
*How brain biases prevent climate action*
Cognitive biases that ensured our initial survival now make it difficult
to address long-term challenges that threaten our existence, like
climate change. But they can help us too...
- - -
Psychologists have identified more than 150 cognitive biases we all
share. Of these, a few are particularly important in explaining why we
lack the will to act on climate change.

    --Hyperbolic discounting. This is our perception that the present is
    more important than the future. Throughout most of our evolution it
    was more advantageous to focus on what might kill us or eat us now,
    not later. This bias now impedes our ability to take action to
    address more distant-feeling, slower and complex challenges.
    --Our lack of concern for future generations. Evolutionary theory
    suggests that we care most about just a few generations of family
    members: our great-grandparents to great-grandchildren. While we may
    understand what needs to be done to address climate change, it's
    hard for us to see how the sacrifices required for generations
    existing beyond this short time span are worth it.
    --The bystander effect. We tend to believe that someone else will
    deal with a crisis. This developed for good reason: if a threatening
    wild animal is lurking at the edge of our hunter-gatherer group,
    it's a waste of effort for every single member to spring into action
    -- not to mention could needlessly put more people into danger. In
    smaller groups, it was usually pretty clearly delineated who would
    step up for which threats, so this worked. Today, however, this
    leads us to assume (often wrongly) that our leaders must be doing
    something about the crisis of climate change. And the larger the
    group, the stronger this bias becomes.
    --The sunk-cost fallacy. We are biased towards staying the course
    even in the face of negative outcomes. The more we've invested time,
    energy or resources into that course, the more likely we are to
    stick with it – even if it no longer seems optimal. This helps
    explain, for example, our continued reliance on fossil fuels as a
    primary source of energy in the face of decades of evidence that we
    both can and should transition to clean energy and a carbon neutral
    future.

These cognitive biases evolved for good reason. But they're now
hamstringing our ability to respond to what could be the largest crisis
humanity has ever created or had to face.
*
**Evolutionary upside*
The good news is that our biological evolution hasn't just hindered us
from addressing the challenge of climate change. It's also equipped us
with capacities to overcome them.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190304-human-evolution-means-we-can-tackle-climate-change

[March 15]
*Madison students planning strike, will walk out of class March 15 to
protest climate change*
East High students say there is no "Planet B"
MADISON, Wis. - Madison students are joining young adults from across
the country in the fight against climate change.

On Friday, March 15, Madison-area students will gather at East High
School at 11:15 a.m. Then, at exactly 11:45 a.m., they will march down
East Washington to the State Capitol.

The strike is meant to show students' solidarity on the climate crisis:
they're petitioning the government to take bold action to help fight the
irreversible affects of climate change. Student organizers say the
strike will make it clear there is no compromising on science.

Once at the Capitol, students will hold a rally on the State Street
side. Following the rally, students will be invited inside the Capitol
to make their voices heard once more.

The "Climate Strike" is a push to support the Green New Deal proposed by
Congress. Students also hope local government officials will draft new
policies at the state and city levels to combat climate change.

They're hoping these proposals will be bipartisan. A recent poll done by
the Yale Program on Climate Communication and the George Mason
University Center for Climate Change Communication found that 92 percent
of registered Democrats and 64 percent of registered Republicans back
the Green New Deal plan.
https://www.channel3000.com/news/madison-students-planning-strike-will-walk-out-of-class-march-15-to-protest-climate-change/1053008107

[that's flesh eating bacteria to you and me]
*Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria Are Turning Up in Puget Sound Marine Life*
Researchers suspect human factors--such as wastewater runoff--may play a
role.
by Hannah Thomasy - March 4, 2019
"If these are endangered animals, like the orcas that you have in Puget
Sound, then it makes sense [to treat them], because saving one animal
can actually save that whole population," says Maria Palamar, a wildlife
veterinarian and cofounder of Resolve Conservation, an organization that
uses technology and citizen science to address wildlife protection
issues. Along with the southern resident killer whales, antibiotics have
also been used to treat wild Hawaiian monk seals and loggerhead sea turtles.

Antibiotic-resistant bacteria in marine environments could be dangerous
to humans, too. Marine bacteria can cause skin infections in people with
even small scrapes or insect bites, or food poisoning in people who eat
contaminated seafood, especially for seafood eaten raw, such as oysters.
In certain countries, like Brazil and Australia, oysters have been found
to harbor antibiotic resistant Vibrio parahaemolyticus or Escherichia
coli (E. coli), both of which can be fatal to humans.

Palamar says understanding the geographic distribution of antibiotic
resistance in wildlife is extremely important. "As we get more and more
urbanized, and species are adapting to urban environments, we need to
start considering what their role is in moving around these
antibiotic-resistant bacteria that could come to farms, could come to
pets, could come to humans," she says.

Scientists have yet to conclusively establish the source of
antibiotic-resistant bacteria in Puget Sound, but humans likely play an
important role says Linda Rhodes, an environmental microbiologist at the
Northwest Fisheries Science Center. Culprits could include failing
wastewater treatment or septic systems, runoff, and waste from livestock
or even pets, she says.

Rhodes and her team have also found that Puget Sound has surprisingly
high levels of certain types of fecal bacteria. By examining the genetic
makeup of these bacteria, the researchers have shown they come from
humans and ruminants, most likely cattle. This is particularly
problematic as human and cattle feces can harbor a panoply of
antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Norman says that while most marine antibiotic resistance probably comes
from land sources (like humans and livestock), the use of antibiotics in
marine fish farms may also be cause for concern. (Although salmon
farming is being phased out in Washington State, it is still allowed in
neighboring British Columbia.)

Antibiotic resistance in marine animals is a problem that should concern
everyone, not just conservationists, says Norman. "Animal health, human
health, and environmental health are all connected," she says. "You
can't really look at one without considering the other two. We
ultimately are tied to the same water that these animals use."
https://www.hakaimagazine.com/news/antibiotic-resistant-bacteria-are-turning-up-in-puget-sound-marine-life/

[another Bill Blakemore video from 2011]
*Good News on Climate's Biggest Unknown: What Will the Humans Do?*
Two Happy Findings About Humans: No 'Tragedy of the Commons,' and 'The
Ultimatum Game'
NATURE'S EDGE NOTEBOOK
Observation, Analysis, Reflection, New Questions
By Bill Blakemore
Climate scientists around the world have long said that "the biggest
unknown" as they try to predict the rate and severity of global warming
is the answer to their question, "What will the humans do?"

How much and how fast will we slow and reverse the greenhouse emissions
that come from burning coal, oil and gas, felling forests and plowing up
land, that are now causing the rapid rise of earth's temperature?

Amid all the bad news about that (scientists report a massive gap
between what we're planning and what needs to be done)  there are two
bits of good news.

The first is a discovery for which American political scientist Elinor
Ostrom became, in 2009, the first woman to win the Nobel Prize for
Economics.

She showed that the "Tragedy of the Commons" (its overuse and
destruction) doesn't happen, at least when all the people who share the
commons can get together and talk about it.

In other words, people aren't complete idiots.

She found that, when there are no internal or external forces preventing
the "commoners" (who share, say, a large "commons" or pastureland in a
medieval European town) from a free, open and robust discussion of how
they should agree to govern and limit their use of it so it doesn't get
overgrazed and thus ruined for all, then the commons goes on thriving.

This may give some hope to those watching conversations such as those at
the global climate summit this December in Durban, South Africa.

Ultimately, of course, the one commons we all use is the planet.

"The Tragedy of the Commons" is an idea presented by ecologist Garrett
Hardin in an influential paper of that title published in the journal
Science in 1968.

His "commons" metaphor suggested that individuals often each put as many
sheep or cows as they can on the commons, which nobody owns, to benefit
themselves, leading to its collapse.

Ostrom, then in her early 30s, spent the next 40 years checking out that
thesis.

She examined societies of all kinds around the world and back through
the ages, looking at many kinds of "commons" -- from pastures to
fisheries, forests to watersheds, and many others.

What she found, impressing her colleagues worldwide, was that "the
tragedy of the commons" often simply does not happen.

When the people who live around and actually use the commons can
converse regularly about its use, they figure it out. They compare notes
and begin to set their own rules and means of monitoring compliance.

Thus they may avoid pasture collapse and have a village life regular and
comfortable enough so they can plan time for holidays, enjoy a good
harvest feast together with their families, friends and sweethearts,
start new families for a next generation, and (having secured enough
food for all) even have reasonable time left over to write poetry and
ponder the really daunting mysteries like the universe and existence itself.

Professor Hardin even readjusted his 1968 thesis to fit with Ostrom's
findings, acknowledging the accuracy and excellence of her work.

So, good news. People aren't (always) idiots.

This raises an important question.

When they are idiots, what prevented them from talking it over and
working out ways to save their commons?

A variety of studies to have found that, sometimes, outside parties, who
may enter a commons with the aim of extracting something for their own
gain, find ways to silence or divide local users of the commons in order
to prevent their governance or control of it.

A number of economists and political scientists  (many with no guiding
political party affiliation) now study how multi-national petroleum and
gas companies, as well as large timber and agricultural business, may
tend to silence or divide local people who live where these resources
may be found, extracted and carted away to distant markets.

This is where two kinds of "commons" clash.

Two Kinds of Commons -- Local and Global

For example, the possible destruction of a forest or vast field of
oil-rich tar-sands can contribute to the disruption of the heat balance
of the all-enveloping commons of the planet's air and of the acidity of
its oceans, simply because such destruction puts extra CO2 in the air.

But, suggests Ostrom, this catastrophic outcome does not need to happen
if all the people who share this planetary commons can talk about it
freely and vigorously -- as they try to do at such conferences as global
UN climate summits and other venues.

In his book, "The Fate of Nature: Rediscovering our ability to rescue
the earth," Alaskan journalist Charles Wohlforth, who reported for many
years on the physical and social aftermath of the Exxon-Valdez oil
spill, describes how Ostrom's good news about the human race is always
at play, ready to be nurtured amid all the bad news about the human race.

Here's a brief video interview with Wohlforth about that.
http://video-cdn.abcnews.com/100624_ann_ne_2.mp4

It is conducted, by the way, across the street from our ABC News offices
in New York's Central Park, another commons recently saved from urban
blight (which had ruined it by the 1970s), when the people who live
around the park and use it most often took over its governance, forming
The Central Park Conservancy.

The Tragedy of the Commons Doesn't Happen when people can talk – Charles
Wohlforth and Nobel Prize Winner Elinor Ostrom
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2011/11/good-news-on-climates-biggest-unknown-what-will-the-humans-do/

*This Day in Climate History - March 9, 2017 - from D.R. Tucker*
March 9, 2017: In an appearance on CNBC, EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt
denies human-caused climate change.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/09/epa-chief-scott-pruitt.html
https://thinkprogress.org/epa-head-falsely-claims-carbon-emissions-arent-the-cause-of-global-warming-262bd9b0937e#.oaigkdwq0

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/09/us/politics/epa-scott-pruitt-global-warming.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur