[TheClimate.Vote] May 4, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat May 4 10:58:02 EDT 2019

/May 4, 2019/

[Pew research finding]
*Dissatisfaction with how democracy is working is increasing around the
world*
More people around the world are unhappy with the state of democracy in
their country than satisfied. Discontent with a country's democracy is
linked to concerns about its economy and individual rights, along with
perceptions that politicians are corrupt and out of touch.
In many countries, dissatisfaction with democracy is tied to views about
economic conditions, personal rights
https://www.pewglobal.org/2019/04/29/many-across-the-globe-are-dissatisfied-with-how-democracy-is-working/

[XR talks directly with British government]
*Extinction Rebellion meets Michael Gove* [full length version 1 hour]
ExtinctionRebellion
Published on May 3, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMGqP5rP8v8

[Interview with a master veteran climate activist]
*Bill McKibben has been sounding the climate alarm for decades. Here's
his best advice.*
"Climate change is clearly harder because no one made $1 trillion a year
being a bigot."
By Sean Illing  May 3, 2019
One of the first writers to sound the alarm on climate change was Bill
McKibben.
His 1989 book, The End of Nature, introduced a mainstream audience to
the problem of rising greenhouse gas emissions, and propelled him to
eventually form the international environmental group 350.org in 2007.
McKibben's latest book, Falter, is a depressing vindication of his first
one. Thirty years ago, he warned that human beings were altering the
planet in such a way that we would imperil our own existence. Today, he
says, "we are even deeper in the hole."- - - [the partial transcript
concludes] - -
*Sean Illing*
I see the gap between our actual interests -- protecting the environment
-- and the incentives guiding our civilization -- neoliberal capitalism
-- growing. Am I too pessimistic?

*Bill McKibben*
The only way to square that circle is for human beings to do what we've
done a few times in the past, which is to build movements big enough to
demand that those in power make change. That's what I've spent the last
10 years trying to do. And we've had success doing this.

But I think we're at the beginning of something quite remarkable right
now, and much of it has nothing to do with the work that my organization
has done. We've seen incredible leadership from indigenous communities,
we've seen the ascent of this Green New Deal, we've seen kids around the
world protesting climate inaction, we've seen the Extinction Rebellion
protests in London -- all sorts of antibodies are kicking in.

I'm hopeful that we're going to see much more of this in the near future.
- - -
*Sean Illing*
I appreciate that your book ends with a call to nonviolent organization;
as far as I can tell, this is the best way to undermine the
concentrations of wealth and power that currently block the way to
meaningful solutions.
Can you briefly lay out your vision here?

*Bill McKibben*
The antibodies kick in when the body has a fever, but you don't always
get enough antibodies in time -- sometimes the patient dies. That's a
realistic possibility here. But it's also a realistic possibility to
imagine people continuing to rise up in sufficient numbers and with
sufficient savvy that we change the zeitgeists pretty quickly.

That's what activists play for at this level: a change in the
zeitgeists. A change in what people perceive as normal, natural, or
obvious. And when it happens, the consequences can be immediate and
breathtaking. You're a young man, but you're probably still old enough
to remember that there was a time not long ago when gay marriage seemed
like a preposterous idea that would never ever happen.

It's only five or six years ago that people like Barack Obama were still
against it. But great organizing caused a shift in the zeitgeist. Now,
climate change is clearly harder because no one made $1 trillion a year
being a bigot. So the fight is harder, but the principle's the same.

It's a very hard task. I've watched the climate movement build from
nothing to where it is now and that's been very hard work and now we
need another order of magnitude. I don't know if we can do it, but I
know that we will try and I know that human beings will put up a good
fight, and if we go down, we'll go down with our dignity intact. There's
something to be said for that.

The thing that always worried me the most was that we'd just go over
this cliff without hardly even noticing it or putting up a fight. But
now I'm confident that won't happen.
https://www.vox.com/2019/5/3/18307660/climate-change-green-new-deal-bill-mckibben-falter

[Lessons not learned, will be repeated]
*Despite floods, Nebraska utility leaders still hesitant to address
climate change*
WRITTEN BY Karen Uhlenhuth
Extreme weather this spring hasn't prompted members of the Nebraska
Public Power District board to consider a speedier shift from fossil fuels.
While scientists warn that climate change is a likely factor in the
unprecedented flooding that inundated eastern Nebraska in March,
directors at the state's largest utility largely do not see the event as
a call to hasten the utility's transition away from fossil fuels.

"I don't think the … flood has necessarily affected the thinking of the
board very much," said Gary Thompson, chairman of the publicly elected
board of directors of the Nebraska Public Power District, or NPPD.

The flood was estimated to have caused about $1.3 billion in damage to
roads, dams, levees and other structures, as well as farm crops and
livestock. Three Nebraskans died as a result. One of them was a man
swept from his home downstream of the Spencer Dam, an NPPD hydropower
facility that collapsed under the pressure of heavy rain and large ice
chunks.

Workers at the utility's Cooper nuclear plant, located on the Missouri
River, had to be ferried in by helicopter after roads were cut off. Had
the river risen another two feet, the plant would have shut down.

Thompson, from Clatonia, remarked that he was "not terribly surprised"
by the flood and its aftermath.

"I have recognized that climate change is causing these extreme events
we've seen around this country and the world for several years,"
Thompson said. "[The Nebraska flood] reaffirms my feelings about it."

Although he views the flooding as a consequence of the warming world,
Thompson didn't exactly advocate accelerating the utility's shift away
from fossil fuels and the adoption of more renewable generation.
Currently, NPPD derives about 65% of its electricity from
non-carbon-emitting sources, including 48% percent nuclear and 8% each
from wind and hydropower.

What he did advocate was to prepare for government carbon-reduction
mandates that he thinks are likely.

"As we look at the potential regulations and laws that may be coming,
what are the risks we face and how do we mitigate those? We are moving
into a world of decarbonization, and we want to look at how do we
mitigate the impacts of that.

"Reducing our carbon footprint is inevitable. We want to develop a plan
where we are moving towards reducing our carbon footprint and at the
same time assuring we have reliable energy."

Fred Christensen, an NPPD board member from Lyons, concurred that
"there's a very good chance that climate change is affecting our
weather. I don't think anybody can prove it, but I lean towards that
position."

His flood-related concerns, he said, are of a more immediate nature:
washed-out roads that prevent crews from reaching transmission towers
and other infrastructure that requires repair and maintenance, for example.

"As far as the future, we're working probably as much as we can towards
renewables and non-emitting sources of power. Sixty-some percent of our
energy source is non-carbon-emitting, which in the industry is very
good. We're working towards more of that all the time."

Recently, for example, NPPD announced an 8.5-megawatt community solar
project it will develop with the City of Norfolk.

Getting in the way of more aggressive adoption of renewables, in
Christensen's view, is money.

"We've got a lot of customers and board members who would be very, very
hesitant to do more than we are doing now. They are very conservative
and don't want to spend too much money. They feel a responsibility for
the lady on the end of the road who is on a fixed income.

"To do too much, we have to increase our rates and that is just not in
the cards. Maybe it should be, but right now it isn't."

Other board members read little into the floods that left a lot of farm
ground so saturated that farmers couldn't get into their fields to plant
crops.

"We've had some weather," said Bill Johnson, from Pilger. "There's all
kinds of different theories out there. I went to a wind and solar
meeting yesterday, and the lady there was well-read on climate change
and she was saying it was due to the wind towers causing turbulence in
the atmosphere."

The comment Johnson references was likely referring to a commonly
misunderstood 2018 study that identified a temporary, localized warming
effect around wind turbines. Climate change is caused by man-made
emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which wind
turbines do not emit.

Ken Kunze, a director from York, said climate change does not factor
into his thinking.

Flooding "is just something that happens," he said. "I don't think
there's anything unusual about it."

Jerry Chlopek, from Columbus, also sees the flood as nothing more than a
freak occurrence.

"I don't think it has anything to do with climate change. It was just a
perfect storm. You had your ice from the cold winter from the river,
frozen ground, and a fast thaw. The water had no place to go."

Director Ed Schrock from Elm Creek said he's not sure what to make of
the flood.

"I don't know what to blame on climate change and what not to blame on
climate change. I saw a lot of strange weather events 50, 60 years ago."

He is sure, however, that the utility he helps to run "should take
little steps, not big ones. If you're taking big steps, tell me how you
replace 1,350 megawatts of power." The utility's largest coal-fired
plant has a capacity of 1,365 MW.

"How do you replace that on a hot summer day when the wind is not blowing?"

That is a critical question, according to Mary Harding, a director from
Plattsmouth. Among the eight directors interviewed, she's the only one
who sees the flood as a compelling reason to act more decisively now.

"For me, it gives us greater urgency and maybe a platform to discuss why
climate change is so important for the people of Nebraska," she said.
"Now we can talk about, 'It's your income, your livelihood, your
lifestyle, your children's future.'

"For me, it's obvious evidence that we have more extreme and more
frequent extreme weather events that we need to take into account as we
decide what we are doing in the future with generation. Nobody's going
to care if we save half a cent on a kilowatt-hour if the weather makes
living here a challenge, if it makes raising crops and livestock here a
challenge. That's what I'm hoping people are seeing out of this."

And yet, she said, straight talk about the changing climate is
considered bad sportsmanship in her home state.

"I feel like in the culture of rural communities in Nebraska, there's a
very strong value of being loyal to your community, to your team. And
climate change has become one of those things where if you say, 'This
might be climate change,' you are no longer being loyal to the scripture
of your community, the prevailing belief system. It's a betrayal of your
people and your culture."

However, she added, "I sense more and more people going, 'There's
something going on here that is not normal.'"

The utility's board is considering a small step toward possibly
increased use of renewable generation.

"We have tentatively given a head nod to a study of what are the
economic and reliability implications of reducing our carbon footprint,"
Harding said. "That draft is going out to wholesale and retail customer
managers in the next couple weeks." She said the study would be framed
"in terms of risk mitigation for NPPD."

Harding said the board likely will vote in May on whether to pursue the
study. She hopes her colleagues will proceed, and that the study will be
completed by the end of 2019. She is not optimistic, but she believes
the utility must rethink its business.

"We have a broader charge to look at the economic well-being of our
community," she said. "When we face the utter devastation of this last
big event, the millions and millions of dollars of income and capital
that are gone for people who were already struggling a little to make
ends meet, I think people are beginning to wonder if it's responsible to
just say, 'No, it couldn't be climate change and we need to keep doing
what we're doing.'"
https://energynews.us/2019/05/03/midwest/despite-floods-nebraska-utility-leaders-still-hesitant-to-address-climate-change/

[Climate Refugees Documentary]
*Fleeing climate change - the real environmental disaster | DW Documentary*
DW Documentary
Published on May 1, 2019
How many millions of people will be forced to leave their homes by 2050?
This documentary looks at the so-called hotspots of climate change in
the Sahel zone, Indonesia and the Russian Tundra.

Lake Chad in the Sahel zone has already shrunk by 90 percent since the
1960s due to the increasing heat. About 40 million people will be forced
to migrate to places where there is enough rainfall. Migration has
always existed as a strategy to adapt to a changing environment. But the
number of those forced to migrate solely because of climate change has
increased dramatically since the 1990s. It is a double injustice: after
becoming rich at the expense of the rest of the world, the
industrialized countries are now polluting the atmosphere with their
emissions and bringing a second misfortune to the inhabitants of the
poorer regions. One of them is Mohammed Ibrahim: as Lake Chad got hotter
and drier, he decided to go where the temperatures were less extreme and
there was still a little water, trekking with his wife, children and 70
camels from Niger to Chad and then further south. The journey lasted
several years and many members of his herd died of thirst. Now he and
his family are living in a refugee camp: they only have seven camels
left. Mohammed is one of many who have left their homelands in the Sahel
- not because of conflict and crises, but because of the high
temperatures. He's a real climate refugee.
https://youtu.be/cl4Uv9_7KJE

[Oxfam report from India]
*Devastation as Cyclone Fani makes landfall in India | Oxfam GB*
Oxfam GB
Published on May 3, 2019
#cyclonefani #cycloneindia
Cyclone Fani has made landfall on India's east coast.
Heavy rain, flooding and over 100mph winds have been reported.
Oxfam teams are on the ground, ready to respond with water, sanitation
and food. https://donate.oxfam.org.uk/emergency...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78cHtdAdOT0
- - -
[from cyclone Idai]
*Cyclone Idai - delivering aid by motorbike and canoe | Oxfam GB*
Oxfam GB
Published on May 3, 2019
Oxfam's Fashion Mawere talks through delivering vital water purification
cubes - Lifesaver cubes, to remote villages in Mozambique, following the
devastating #cycloneIdai. When the main vehicle could go no further the
Oxfam team improvised using motorbikes and canoes.
https://www.oxfam.org.uk/cyclone-idai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CnZ_-8PAmc

[US preparations from the EPA]
*Planning for Natural Disaster Debris (PDF)(150 pp, 6 MB, April 2019,
EPA-F-19-003) *
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2019-05/documents/final_pndd_guidance_0.pdf

[detailed look at Inslee's climate plan - target goals 2030 - 2035]
"*Governor Jay Inslee's 100% Clean Energy for America Plan* will achieve
100% clean electricity, 100% zero-emission new vehicles and 100%
zero-carbon new buildings. This plan will empower America to make the
entire electrical grid and every new car and building climate
pollution-free, at the speed that science and public health demand. "
This plan looks to build upon, accelerate, and redefine the movement for
100% clean energy - taking it from the power sector, and enshrining it
into policy for 100% new zero-emission vehicles, and 100% zero-carbon
buildings. And it takes the proven leadership of state and local climate
progress - like Washington state's new 100% clean electricity law ("the
strongest clean energy legislation in the country") and uses them as a
model for national action.
Specifically, this plan calls for a 10 year action plan is a roadmap to
achieve:

    CLEAN ELECTRICITY: Set a national 100% Clean Electricity Standard
    that requires 100% carbon-neutral power - including an end to
    coal-fired power generation - by 2030,  putting America on a path to
    100% clean, renewable, and zero-emission energy by 2035.
    CLEAN VEHICLES: Reach 100% zero emissions for all new light- and
    medium-duty vehicles, and all buses by 2030.
    CLEAN BUILDINGS: Achieve 100% zero-carbon pollution from all new
    commercial and residential buildings, by 2030.

This is the first policy rollout as part of Gov. Inslee's comprehensive
Climate Mission agenda that will enable America to meet crucial
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's targets - cutting climate
pollution 50% by 2030 and reaching net-zero emissions before 2045. In
the coming weeks Inslee will bring forward further announcements on
investment in jobs, infrastructure, and innovation; environmental
justice and economic inclusion; and ending fossil fuel giveaways. Much
more to come!

We feel that this 100% Clean Energy for America Plan is a critical
starting point in our fight to defeat climate change: We must establish
smart rules and clear goals if we are going to achieve real pollution
reductions and unleash a new generation of innovation, investment and
job creation.
https://www.jayinslee.com/issues/100clean

[Science press release - Argo ocean studies]
*UW, partners reach milestone in program using robots to monitor world's
oceans*
   Around the planet's oceans, nearly 4,000 floats -- many of them built
at the University of Washington -- are plunging up and down, collecting
and transmitting observations of the world's oceans.

This fall, one of these diving robots made the program's 2 millionth
measurement, reporting temperature and salinity recorded to a depth of
about a mile...

The Argo Program is a 20-year-old project to gather 3D data on the
oceans. The U.S. program is part of an international observing effort
with 26 countries that operate floats throughout the planet's waters.

"When we started in 1999, no one would have even considered the 2
million profile milestone," said Stephen Riser, a UW professor of
oceanography. "In the beginning there was some question about whether
the instruments would even work well enough to do this. We were just
hoping it would work for the first few years."

The UW has manufactured between one third and one half of the U.S.
floats now in use, Riser said, which account for about half the
international total. So the UW has manufactured about a fifth or a sixth
of the world's supply.

The UW manufactures roughly 110 floats per year that get deployed around
the planet. Two undergraduates work in the lab and three graduate
students are working with the data. Of this year's UW floats, two-thirds
were destined for the South Pacific and the other third are going to
Antarctica.

Scientists say the nearly 20-year-old robotic fleet has transformed
oceanography: Satellites track information only from the ocean's
surface, while ship-based observations are expensive and see only a
small snapshot.

"Not to be too hyperbolic, but Argo has really revolutionized physical
oceanography," said Alison Gray, an assistant professor of oceanography.
"I think it's been one of the largest successes of any observational
program of its kind."

The cylindrical robots, about the size of a large rolled-up poster, dive
down to a depth of 1 kilometer (0.6 miles) to drift with currents, then
later sink down to 2 kilometers. After 10 days below the surface they
adjust their buoyancy and gather data on the upward trip. Once at the
surface, an antenna beams data back to computers onshore. A single
battery lets the robot explore unaided for four to five years.

"One of the most important practical uses for the data is in weather
forecasting, in that the data that we get from Argo have significantly
improved weather forecasts and marine forecasting around the world,"
Gray said. "But scientists are interested in the data to understand the
processes that are controlling the ocean, and how the ocean impacts the
climate system."

More than 4,000 scientific papers and 275 doctoral theses have been
written using Argo data. Observations are uploaded to the internet every
three hours and are then available for free for anyone to use.

"That's become the norm, the real-time availability of data," Riser
said. "But that was not the norm when we started in 2000."

In the future, Deep Argo and Biogeochemical Argo floats will travel
deeper and measure more things than the original devices. Both are in
small-scale prototype mode now, Riser said, and researchers hope to
secure funding for a larger-scale deployment. In addition to temperature
and salinity these can measure ocean pH, oxygen, nitrate, chlorophyll
found in microscopic algae, and light penetration.

While the existing Argo array helps to understand the movement of heat
in the oceans, the newer technology will explore the deep ocean and help
track the movement of carbon, which is the other half of the climate
puzzle, Riser said.

"In coming years, it will be really important to maintain the core
array, the high-quality data that's coming in, but also to expand into
these new areas: sensors that can measure new variables, and technology
that lets us go into deeper water or even into coastal regions," Gray said.

The UW has already been building biogeochemical floats as part of a
dedicated project to study the ocean around Antarctica. A global Argo
version would be similar, Riser said, but without the ice-avoidance
capabilities.

"The biogeochemical floats will be a whole different set of results that
we can't even imagine right now," Riser said. "It won't just be the heat
part of the ocean cycle, it will be the carbon cycle. There's a
tremendous amount to learn."
  - - ###
https://www.washington.edu/news/2019/01/14/uw-partners-reach-milestone-in-program-using-robots-to-monitor-worlds-oceans/

[Southern Ocean videos from the UW]
*DEEP DIVE INTO THE SOUTHERN OCEAN*
**https://vimeopro.com/user19301588/deep-dive-into-the-southern-ocean

[Let's eat!, don't miss this recent series in the NYTimes]
Food+Climate
*How to shop, cook and eat in a world dealing with climate change*
https://www.nytimes.com/spotlight/food-climate-change

*This Day in Climate History - May 4, 2010 - from D.R. Tucker*
May 4, 2010: MSNBC's Keith Olbermann rips syndicated columnist George
Will for continuing to peddle myths about wind energy.
http://mediamatters.org/video/2010/05/04/olbermann-names-will-krauthammer-in-worst-perso/164226