[TheClimate.Vote] May 25, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat May 25 09:25:45 EDT 2019

/May 25, 2019/

[So sayeth Forbes Magazine]
May 23, 2019
*Rich Need To Tackle Climate Change As Research Shows It Will Eventually
Make Them Poorer*
Oliver Williams - Contributor
Some of the leading scientists in the U.K. have written an open letter
to the country's 100 largest charitable foundations and the 100
wealthiest families, asking for an "extraordinary increase" in their
funding of environmental action against climate change.

"A letter like this has never been sent from our community to yours,"
say the 11 scientists, among them Chris Rapley, professor of Climate
Science at University College London and Sir David King, a former
government chief scientific adviser.

Currently, less than 2% of all giving by U.K. philanthropists is
deployed to counter climate threats, meaning they are "desperately
under-funded", says the letter.

Co-ordinator of the letter and CEO of Climate Alliance, Angela Terry,
believes this is not enough. "I would say 10% as a minimum should be put
towards these causes," she says.

"We are calling on them to mobilize their resources, whether through
endowments, personal wealth or grant giving, to halt our ecological crisis".

The causes themselves are important as just 105 million [pound Sterling]
($130.8 million) out of 4 billion ($4.9 billion) of all trust and
foundation giving goes towards the environment, says the Environmental
Funders Network. And a high proportion of this focuses on conservation
rather than climate change.

*Climate Change Will Make You Poorer*
"The first thing to do now is to have a look at this subject and look at
how it will impact you, your family, your wealth," says Terry.

For some, the stark realities of a changing climate affecting their
children's lives will drive the point home. For others, it will be the
bottom line: their wealth.

A report from the UN last week said that delaying the implementation of
climate policies could cost the world's top companies $1.2 trillion over
the next 15 years.

As much as 13.2% of overall portfolio value is at risk if temperatures
rise 1.5 degrees, the report says. "Considering that total assets under
management (AUM) for the largest 500 investment managers in the world
total $81.2 trillion, this would represent a value loss of $10.7 trillion."

Such a loss would severely dent the fortunes of the world's wealthiest.

*Letter Shocks Foundations Into Action*
"Our foundation never previously focused on climate change but I've been
shocked," wrote Sophie Marple, founder of the Gower St Foundation.

"We feel a duty to act and will commit a significant portion of our
funding to critical environmental work moving forward. As this letter
from scientists shows us, there's no longer any space for separation
between 'environmental' and 'social' philanthropy," she said.

Others are following suit, a spokesperson from the Wellcome Trust told
the BBC it wanted to expand its work on links between human health and
the climate.

While it said it had not yet received the scientists' letter, a
spokesperson from the Sigrid Rausing Trust said, "We are interested in
approaches that recognize the interdependency of people and nature, and
that lead to systemic change."

Foundations owned by the two of the U.K's wealthiest billionaires--the
Hinduja brothers and Sir James Ratcliffe--did not respond to a request
for comment.

For those wealthy donors that are not yet giving to the climate cause,
the letter does not prescribe a one-size-fits-all solution.

Donors should look from "civil society and social movements, to green
investment in research and innovation, to strategic litigation and
public education," the letter advises.

"Look at things you care about depending on where you're geographically
based or where your investments are," says Terry. "There is no aspect of
our lives that is not being impacted."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliverwilliams1/2019/05/23/rich-need-to-tackle-climate-change-as-research-shows-it-will-eventually-make-them-poorer/#156eb8017afd

[Extinction Rebellion]
*"Are we the last generation?" - Extinction Rebellion Youth - Heathrow
Action*
Extinction Rebellion
Published on May 13, 2019
[London, 19 April 2019] https://www.xryouth.org/
The 10 Working Principles of Extinction Rebellion
1.   We have a shared vision of change
2.   We set our mission on what is necessary
3.   We need a re-generative culture
4.   We hopefully challenge ourselves, and this toxic system
5.   We value reflection and learning
6.   We welcome everyone, and every part of everyone into Extinction
Rebellion
7.   We actively mitigate for power
8.   We avoid blaming and shaming
9.   We are a non-violent movement
10. We are based on autonomy and de-centralization
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vItPPX-gylA

[Understanding - RCPs - climate models for future scenarios]
*The Beginner's Guide to Representative Concentration Pathways*
By G. P. Wayne
Welcome to the Beginner's Guide to Representative Concentration
Pathways. Arranged in three parts, you can access each part by clicking
on the tabs below. Part 1 provides background to the scenarios used by
climate scientists. Part 2 describes the development of RCPs, and Part 3
provides a quick reference to many of the key parameters and data
(there's also a further reading list at the end). The guide is also
available as a PDF.
*1: Introduction - 2: Creating New Scenarios - 3: Technical Summary *
Part 1: An introduction to scenarios
Many factors have to be taken into account when trying to predict how
future global warming will contribute to climate change. The amount of
future greenhouse gas emissions is a key variable. Developments in
technology, changes in energy generation and land use, global and
regional economic circumstances and population growth must also be
considered.

So that research between different groups is complementary and
comparable, a standard set of scenarios are used to ensure that starting
conditions, historical data and projections are employed consistently
across the various branches of climate science...
https://skepticalscience.com/rcp.php?t=1

[Financial Times]
*Record methane levels pose new threat to Paris climate accord*
Rising atmospheric concentrations have power to hasten global warming...

Scientists have sounded the alarm after levels of methane in the
atmosphere reached a record high, a development that could cause an
unexpected acceleration in global warming and put the world further off
course from the goals of the Paris climate deal.

New data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration of the
US showed that concentrations of atmospheric methane surged last year
and accounted for about a sixth of the atmosphere's capacity to trap heat.
- - -
Carbon dioxide emissions are still the single biggest source of man-made
global warming, accounting for about two-thirds of the atmosphere's
heat-trapping capacity last year.

But methane is much more potent on a weight basis, with roughly 25 times
as much warming impact, pound for pound, as carbon dioxide, even though
it does not stay in the atmosphere as long.
- -
Carbon dioxide levels also hit a record high last year, largely due to
increased fossil fuel consumption, raising concern over whether nations
will be able to achieve the goal of the 2015 Paris agreement, to limit
warming to well below 2C. The world has already warmed about 1C since
pre-industrial times.

Two recent scientific papers have also raised the alarm on the effects
of increasing methane concentrations, which started rising again in 2007
after remaining mostly flat during 2000 to 2007.
- - -
Alex Turner, a researcher at the earth and planetary sciences department
at University of California, Berkeley, said the sources of methane were
"more elusive" than that of carbon dioxide, which is mainly produced by
fossil fuel production.

But he said it was "pretty clear that this long-term rise in methane is
driven by anthropogenic [human-caused] emissions".
https://www.ft.com/content/9a3c0514-7d6b-11e9-81d2-f785092ab560

[Forest fire management]
*The case for stabilizing forest carbon to mitigate climate change*
by Steve Carr, University of New Mexico
There's no doubt that climate change is affecting ecosystems as well as
the lifestyles of plants and animals around the globe. As temperatures
rise, so do the complexity of the issues. Scientists, both in the United
States and around the world, are actively pursuing mitigation solutions
while providing governments with the understanding of natural hazards to
help stem the effects of climate change.

At The University of New Mexico, Matthew Hurteau, associate professor in
the Department of Biology, has conducted research to determine how
disturbances influence tree mortality risk and how that information can
be used in carbon management policies to mitigate climate change.
Hurteau and several colleagues argue in an opinion piece, "Managing for
disturbance stabilizes forest carbon," released today in Proceedings of
the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), a peer-reviewed
multidisciplinary scientific journal, that policymakers would do well to
use disturbance ecology in an effort to stabilize forest carbon.

Central to their piece, Hurteau and colleagues say that "forest systems
sequester approximately 12 percent of anthropogenic carbon emissions,
and that efforts to increase forest carbon uptake are central to climate
mitigation policy.

Understanding the role of carbon is important. As plants
photosynthesize, they're taking in carbon dioxide from the atmosphere
and then, in the case of trees, turning that carbon into wood.
Basically, you can look at a tree and that's carbon that could be in the
atmosphere, but it's been taken up by that tree and locked up in wood.

Managing forests to store carbon has focused on increasing forested
area, decreasing area lost to logging and clearing, and increasing
forest carbon density. Warming, drought, and wildfires challenge the
stability of carbon stored in forests.

"By contrast, natural cycles of low intensity fires in dry forests can,
over the long term, promote forest carbon storage by protecting carbon
in soil and in large, old trees. The conundrum is how to balance
immediate, disturbance-driven carbon loss with long-term, stable carbon
storage and account for these risks in policies for forest carbon
management."
- - -
[S]cientists can actually quantify the risks to forest carbon offsets
and then the benefit of management to reduce that risk can be priced by
the market. Another key point in the dialogue is that the U.S. already
has the legal framework in place to implement the initiative on federal
lands in the U.S.

"One of the things that stands in the way of getting this done is that
the U.S. Federal government has not recognized, the significant risks
that we face from climate change and therefore is undervaluing the
portfolio of options we have available to reduce that risk," said
Hurteau. "The data and research on wildfire and forest management goes
back to the '70s and '80s and we've known that the humans have been
changing the climate for decades. We could have done something a lot
sooner. As humans, we're real good at dealing with acute problems and
not real good with the chronic."
https://phys.org/news/2019-05-case-stabilizing-forest-carbon-mitigate.html

[Paul Beckwith half dozen videos]
*Mishmash on Abrupt Climate Change Status: Prognosis Grim*
Paul Beckwith
Published on May 24, 2019
This video is the 1st of 6 where I chat about the most significant
recent developments in our ongoing abrupt climate change system. I am
simply joining the dots, delving deeply into what is happening on the
ground, in the atmosphere, and in the oceans, and profound existential
consequences that are affecting each of us in this time of gut-wrenching
disruption. I strive to take the latest science and tell a coherent
story that is easily understandable to the most novice layperson, using
the best, most clearly illustrated gifs that I have come across in
social media over several months.
Please support my independent analysis and videos by donating to me at
http://paulbeckwith.net and help me share this vital information far and
wide.
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9NvCwVDmFI
2. *A Mishmash on our FUBAR'd Climate: Dooohhhhh...Take off, aye (to
another planet)*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGAiXkrJ32w
3. *Rampaging Climate Crushes Humans Like Bugs, and Just Getting Warmed Up*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6F0vxfp1wM
This video is the 3rd of 6 in my swarm of videos to parallel the
tornadoes swarm that continues to wreak cascading havoc on the U.S.A.,
along with the hydro-attack that is decimating planting schedules and
risking global price spikes on grains, soy, etc.; making a mockery of
the so called "useful" idiot climate denier who is being enabled by the
God-Owful-Party in power. I'm one to talk; Ontario lost its senses in
voting in neomort Doug Ford, while Alberta went nutters voting in Jason
Kenney who is set up a "war-room" to attack opponents of his iron rod
pipeline of doom.
4.
5.
6.
7. See more at https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulHBeckwith
See also @PaulBeckwith

[warning: dark, conjectural opinion - includes 4 published comments]
*The Dopamine Hypothesis*
By Tom Lewis | May 23, 2019
Podcast: Play in new window -
http://media.blubrry.com/dailyimpact/p/www.dailyimpact.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Dopamine-Hypothesis.mp3
Download -
http://media.blubrry.com/dailyimpact/s/www.dailyimpact.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Dopamine-Hypothesis.mp3
Since he's coming anyway, perhaps we should just take something and
enjoy the visit? Oh. Never mind.

The euphoria of the dying is well known but little understood. Stories
abound of people who have been languishing toward oblivion but just
before the end rally briefly with a burst of energy and optimism that
astonishes their families. It has been proposed, although whether with
any scientific credibility or not I do not know, that when the organism
comprehends its imminent extinction it floods itself with dopamine,
buoying the mood of the dying. It has also been speculated that people
facing violent death, in a plane going down, for example, or at the
hands of a murderer, are anesthetized by the dopamine rush and
experience their final seconds as a kind of peaceful lark.

I don't know if this dopamine hypothesis is valid, but it is comforting
to believe it, whether we are contemplating our own end or that of a
loved one. Taking the suffering out of the equation, once the end is at
hand, would be, to say the least, helpful. As Shakespeare said in a
slightly different context, it would be a consummation devoutly to be
wished.

I am wondering if the same thing happens when a civilization, say for
example western industrial civilization, reaches its expiration date.
How else to explain the irrational exuberance of American consumers,
investors, brokers, politicians and Uber drivers as they stride
confidently toward what any rational mind can see is imminent
destruction. They've gotta be on something.

I'm not talking here about the opioid, crack, meth, alcohol and other
related narcotic epidemics currently raging, although they may be part
of the syndrome; they are surely spawned by hopelessness and are often
used to ease one through the final hours of life.

But I mean here something larger and more vague, a quietly raging
giddiness bubbling through our entire lives. When we are shown that
climate change is about to turn our farm fields to deserts, to sink our
cities beneath ocean waves, to burn our forests down and unleash the
four horsemen of the Apocalypse -- and then we see it starting to happen
-- surely the appropriate response is not a giggle. Or a shrug. Such

The drinking water is almost gone, so is the soil and the oil and the
breathable air and the fish. Out-of-control debt is strangling our
country and almost all of us. And yet we seem collectively happy. The
consumer confidence index has seldom been higher, we hear every day that
our economy is terrific and the stock market is stratospheric and
America is Number One.

Perhaps the whole organism, sensing that it's almost time for lights
out, is burping dopamine to that the final throes will not bother us,
the gathering darkness will not frighten us, and we can keep watching
football until the screen goes to black.

It would make far more sense than what I hear people saying about their
situation: that there's no reason we can't keep growing our economy
forever, that technology will replace the cheap energy that oil can no
longer give us, that there are unexpected upsides to global warming,
that Trump is a good president because he "tells it like it is." Wait,
that also sounds like people who are on something. I rest my case.

Excuse me, I have to go. I feel like I'm going to start giggling for no
reason….
http://www.dailyimpact.net/2019/05/23/the-dopamine-hypothesis/
Greg Knepp May 23, 2019
I've heard the term 'Supernova Syndrome' similarly applied to what you
describe. Just as a star burns its brightest immediately prior to its
demise, so individuals, institutions, cultural formats, societies and
even civilizations often go out with a bang rather than a whimper.

The tallest statue on Easter Island was its last; the Coliseum marked
the beginning of the end of the Roman experiment; St. Peter's Basilica
was by far the most expensive and ostentatious project of its era,
bankrupting Europe and presaging the Reformation; I needn't elaborate on
Versailles. Or consider the decade-long bacchanal that preceded the
Great Depression - talk about giddy; the skyscrapers of Dubai, the Mall
of America…Christ, the list is endless!

It seems to be the way of nature. "Eat drink and be merry, for all else
is vanity."

In Ecclesiastes 'vanity' translates as 'useless' rather than 'egocentric'.

Denis Frith May 24, 2019
Tityus, the acronym for industrialized civilization, is destined to
gradually decline prior to its demise. Gaia, nature, can no longer
support this rampant misbehavior. The inhabitants will continue to
blindly misuse what remains of Tityas' capabilities.

Max4241 May 24, 2019
Can human beings choose to go insane? Is it possible, that our ability
to make this choice is what truly separates us from the other species?

L Racine May 24, 2019
"At the end only Love remains." But that assumes you know what "Love"
is… This is a pretty dark post. Even Guy McPherson is lighter reading…
http://www.dailyimpact.net/2019/05/23/the-dopamine-hypothesis/

[World interactions.]
*Pompeo's CIA (Climate Insanity Again!)*
Just Have a Think
Published on May 19, 2019
Climate Change once again hit the news in May at the 11th Ministerial
Meeting of the Arctic Council. Most of the member states agreed that
Climate Change was a clear and present danger that required extremely
careful stewardship, and nowhere more so than up in the arctic region.
But the Trump Administration, in the form of Secretary of State Mike
Pompeo, represented a voice of dissent that effectively scuppered any
progress. This week we take a look at the battle for arctic supremacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQwIAFL7i48&t=13s

*This Day in Climate History - May, 2011 - from D.R. Tucker*
May 25, 2011: Former Delaware Republican Party official Michael
Stafford, in a column describing his growing recognition of the threat
of climate change, observes:

"Regrettably, while the scientific evidence supporting [climate
action] has become increasingly more persuasive over the past
several years, and the need for immediate action ever more apparent,
public opinion, at least in the United States, has been trending in
the opposite direction.

"I think there are several reasons for this.  First, few of
us...possess the technical expertise or knowledge required to
independently assess and analyze scientific research, reports, or
peer reviewed literature.  As a result, we fall back on pop-culture
works, like the thoroughly debunked [Bjorn Lomborg] book 'Cool It,'
and reports in the mainstream media.  The climate denial industry
has exploited this by endeavoring to create 'doubt' in the minds of
Americans, despite the fact that no reasonable grounds for doubt
remain.  Meanwhile, the scientific community has not been
particularly effective at communicating the case for [climate
action] in a way that is accessible and understandable to most
Americans.  At the same time, the radicalization of the political
Right, and the rise to prominence of an extreme form of
libertarianism within its ranks, has made opposition to [climate
action] a required tenant of its political orthodoxy.  In other
words, our political ideology demands that it cannot be
true--therefore, it is not.

"The rejection of proven science in favor of a form of ideologically
driven magical thinking by the GOP is extremely unfortunate, and
unnecessary."

http://townsquaredelaware.com/2011/05/25/my-road-to-damascus-coming-to-terms-with-global-climate-change/