[TheClimate.Vote] November 9, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Nov 9 08:12:07 EST 2019

/November 9, 2019/

[Follow the money]
*A 'green interest rate?' Fed digs into climate change economics*
Thursday, November 07, 2019
By Ann Saphir and Lindsay Dunsmuir
SAN FRANCISCO/NEW YORK (Reuters) - In their deliberations on monetary
policy, Federal Reserve policymakers need to consider many factors, but
up to now, climate change has not been one of them.

But as worries about the warming planet increase, the U.S. central bank
is taking a closer look at the economic impacts of higher temperatures,
more frequent severe weather, and rising sea levels.

A "green interest rate" is one of the ideas on view Friday as the San
Francisco Fed convenes the U.S. central bank's first-ever conference on
climate change and economics. The event is so oversubscribed a webcast
has been created to meet demand.

While the Fed lags central banking peers such as the Bank of England in
making climate change an explicit part of its financial stability remit,
the conference is the latest sign the Fed has started to take the risks
and costs of global warming seriously.

"It's important for us from a monetary policy perspective to know what
the potential growth rate of the economy is and if climate events or
climate risk is going to shave that off, even if it's over the long
term," San Francisco Fed chief Mary Daly said in New York earlier this week.

Papers to be presented at this week's conference provide that
perspective in a range of ways. One estimates climate change could
subtract 7% from real world per capita GDP by 2100; another finds that
subsidies for green energy like wind and solar are not an effective tool
against global warming, but carbon taxes, if implemented in many parts
of the world, would be. Others papers map out how climate change affects
asset prices and show trade policy subsidizes greenhouse gas emissions.

The U.S. central bank is focusing more intently on global warming, even
as President Donald Trump's administration denies it exists. Trump, who
has called climate change a "hoax," on Monday officially notified the
United Nations that the United States will in 12 months leave the Paris
Climate Accord, under which 195 nations agreed to reduce greenhouse gas
emissions in a bid to prevent catastrophic planetary warming.

Scientists are in broad agreement that carbon dioxide from cars, power
plants and other human sources are behind the climate change that's
already making powerful hurricanes, severe drought, and other weather
extremes more frequent.

Already the target of Trump's ire for not lowering interest rates even
more than he already has, Fed Chair Jerome Powell said recently that
central banks are working out how directly they should confront climate
change.

"We are not in a place where I think we would conduct monetary policy in
order to deal with climate change type issues," Powell said last month
in Denver, "but there's a lot of forward-thinking analysis going on."

Powell won't be at Friday's conference, but Lael Brainard, one of five
Fed governors who sets U.S. interest rates along with the Fed's 12
regional bank presidents, will be.

She is no stranger to the ideas presented at Friday's conference: more
than a decade ago she helped edit a book about the economic threat of
climate change. But since her appointment by President Barack Obama in
2014, she has said little about the issue.

CAN INTEREST RATES BE GREEN?
For some economists, it makes sense for the Fed to consider how climate
change might affect growth in the same way it would look at other,
potentially longer-term issues such as demographic trends.

At the conference, Carnegie Mellon University professor Nicholas Muller
will outline a "green interest rate." Simply put, he suggests
interest-rate setting should take into account the economic drag that
greenhouse gas emissions are projected to cause.

"Rates should be lower when pollution damages are rising," Muller said
in an interview. His paper also shows how judicious use of rate policy
can skew investment in ways that could aid environmental goals and save
human lives.

While that idea may be a step too far for the foreseeable future, the
Fed has in the past year produced an extraordinary amount of research on
climate change and economics.

The Dallas Fed devoted much of a recent quarterly publication to climate
change, including an analysis of carbon emissions in the state of Texas.

The Richmond Fed last month addressed the question of central banks and
climate change in its own quarterly publication. The San Francisco Fed
two weeks ago published a 168-page report on the impact of severe
weather on poor communities and floated a range of responses, including
discouraging banks from lending to rebuild in disaster-hit areas that
fail to take steps to reduce future risk.

Even so, the Fed is still far behind other major central banks, and some
of the research to be presented at the upcoming conference suggests why
that could be problematic.

"While economists are still debating whether global warming affects the
level or the growth rate of the economy, ignoring these effects could
potentially lead central banks to misjudge the evolution of the output
gap and inflationary pressure," Bank of England researcher Sandra Batten
notes in her presentation.

Nigel Purvis, co-founder of the advocacy group Climate Advisers, who
worked with Brainard to edit "Climate Change and Global Poverty" and
won't be at the conference, is more blunt.

"Climate change creates material risks for U.S. financial institutions
and by extension the entire U.S. economy," Purvis said in an email.
"Other financial regulators, including the Bank of England, are climate
proofing their financial sectors by requiring climate disclosures and
more active management of climate risks. The Fed should do the same."
(Reporting by Ann Saphir and Lindsay Dunsmuir; Additional reporting by
Jonnelle Marte in New York; Editing by Andrea Ricci)
https://wkzo.com/news/articles/2019/nov/07/a-green-interest-rate-fed-digs-into-climate-change-economics/955256/

[Great progress]
*New Estimates Predict a Lot More Renewable Power Growth in the U.S.
Very Soon*
By Justin Mikulka - Tuesday, November 5, 2019 - 16:31
After revising its three-year U.S. power forecast, the Federal Energy
Regulatory Commission (FERC) has predicted major declines for fossil
fuels and nuclear power alongside strong growth in renewables by 2022,
according to a review of the data by the SUN DAY Campaign, a
pro-renewables research and education nonprofit.

"FERC's latest three-year projections continue to underscore the
dramatic changes taking place in the nation's electrical generating
mix," noted Ken Bossong, executive director of the SUN DAY Campaign.
"Renewable energy sources are rapidly displacing uneconomic and
environmentally dangerous fossil fuels and nuclear power -- even faster
than FERC had anticipated just a half-year ago."

While the independent federal agency forecasts robust wind and solar
development, it also predicts a large increase in natural gas capacity,
which is consistent with the current public emphasis of the newly
rebranded "natural gas and oil industry." The projected gains in natural
gas power, however, aren't enough to offset the sizeable drops in coal
and oil, resulting in an overall decrease in burning fossil fuels for
power in the U.S.

As we have noted on DeSmog, the oil and gas industry is publicly selling
natural gas as a cleaner fossil fuel and a climate solution. Renewables
represent a threat to its growing market share, both economically and
based on climate concerns.

According to FERC, net new gas-powered generating capacity (which
accounts for power plants expected to close) is predicted to increase by
19,757 megawatts (MW) in the next three years. Wind capacity is
projected to grow by 27,659 MW and utility-scale solar by 17,857 MW...
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/11/05/iea-ferc-predict-renewables-us-power-generation

[doomerism studies]
*Human extinction would be a uniquely awful tragedy. Why don't we act
like it?*
How pessimism about the future affects how we think about humanity and
extinction.
- - -
Here's one of the questions they asked of thousands of people in the US
and UK:

    Compare three futures for humanity:
    (1) There is no catastrophe.
    (2) There is a catastrophe that immediately kills 80% of the world's
    population
    (3) There is a catastrophe that immediately kills 100% of the
    world's population.
    Rank them from best to worst.

- - -
To many of you, these questions may seem too hopelessly abstract for us
to learn anything from them.

But there's something important here. The fact is, we give the
possibility of human extinction very little thought. And when we do, our
reasoning about it is often superficial, contradictory, and easy to
influence. "People are going to have a lot of influence over what we're
going to do" about the threats of human extinction in our near future,
Schubert told me. "So it's important to find out how people think about
them."

In many ways, we're shockingly blasé about the end of our world. Despite
many people rating extinction "somewhat likely" in the next 15 years,
few people rate the causes of extinction as among their top policy
priorities for the next president or Congress. People say extinction is
kinda bad and under some circumstances they even say it's likely, but
they don't take it that seriously -- and their intuitions about it are
often inconsistent.

But one particular result that cuts against this finding stands out in
the paper. When asked to imagine a long, peaceful, good human future,
most readers suddenly rated extinction as much worse than they
previously considered it. That suggests that lots of people don't care
as much as they should about extinction due to a sort of hopelessness --
they don't envision anything much better than the present ahead for
humanity, so they don't care too much about losing it.

The takeaway seems clear: In order to convince people to fight for our
species, we might first need to convince them that the fight could be
winnable.
- - -
Finally, to get the overwhelming majority of respondents to agree that
extinction was uniquely bad, you had to be even more direct and tell
them to imagine that human civilization will go on to a long, happy,
prosperous future -- unless a catastrophe wipes us out.

Suddenly, almost everyone agreed that human extinction was uniquely bad.

*The case against pessimism*
There's one interpretation that makes a lot of sense of these varied
that reason the future doesn't weigh heavily in their minds as they
think about human extinction. It's not that survey respondents are
unreasonably ignoring the possibility of a good long-term future for
humanity -- they just consider it unlikely, so it's not much of a
consideration.

Collectively, the results suggest that people care lots more about
extinction when they concretely envision a good human future.

But how many visions of that does our society lay out? There's not a lot
of discussion of what a wonderful 2100 looks like. In fact, the many
threats we face make lots of people unwilling to imagine 2100 at all.

And these results suggest to me that that inability to imagine the
future might interfere with ensuring that we make it that far.

Climate change activists, in particular, spend a lot of time discussing
the advantages and disadvantages of negative -- even apocalyptic --
rhetoric and the advantages and disadvantages of taking a more
optimistic tone. Research like this inclines me to believe that the
optimists have a good point. It's not that we should exaggerate the odds
of solving our problems or pretend they aren't there. But any discussion
of our problems needs to be accompanied by a positive vision for what
the world can look like if we solve them.

If people don't believe there's a meaningful and good future on the
other side of the challenges ahead of us, then it looks like they have a
hard time rating our extinction as a uniquely bad thing. And that means
pessimism can be a self-fulfilling prophecy as we let our fears
interfere with our motivation to prove them false.
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/11/7/20903337/human-extinction-pessimism-hopefulness-future
- - -
[Source]
*The Psychology of Existential Risk: Moral Judgments about Human Extinction*
Stefan Schubert, Lucius Caviola & Nadira S. Faber
Scientific Reports volume 9, Article number: 15100 (2019) Cite this article
Abstract
The 21st century will likely see growing risks of human extinction, but
currently, relatively small resources are invested in reducing such
existential risks. Using three samples (UK general public, US general
public, and UK students; total N = 2,507), we study how laypeople reason
about human extinction. We find that people think that human extinction
needs to be prevented. Strikingly, however, they do not think that an
extinction catastrophe would be uniquely bad relative to near-extinction
catastrophes, which allow for recovery. More people find extinction
uniquely bad when (a) asked to consider the extinction of an animal
species rather than humans, (b) asked to consider a case where human
extinction is associated with less direct harm, and (c) they are
explicitly prompted to consider long-term consequences of the
catastrophes. We conclude that an important reason why people do not
find extinction uniquely bad is that they focus on the immediate death
and suffering that the catastrophes cause for fellow humans, rather than
on the long-term consequences. Finally, we find that (d) laypeople--in
line with prominent philosophical arguments--think that the quality of
the future is relevant: they do find extinction uniquely bad when this
means forgoing a utopian future.

[Brazil]
*The Amazon rainforest is drying out and could be vulnerable to
cataclysmic wildfires, Nasa reveals*
Jasper Hamill - 6 Nov 2019 1:13 pm

The Amazon rainforest is drying out and it could increase the risk of
catastrophic wildfires. That's the grim warning from NASA, which has
been analysing the atmosphere above the Amazon. It found that levels of
moisture have plunged over the rainforest over the past 20 years and
blamed the phenomenon on 'human activities'.

'We observed that in the last two decades, there has been a significant
increase in dryness in the atmosphere as well as in the atmospheric
demand for water above the rainforest,' said JPL's Armineh
Barkhordarian, lead author of the study. 'In comparing this trend to
data from models that estimate climate variability over thousands of
years, we determined that the change in atmospheric aridity is well
beyond what would be expected from natural climate variability.'
Barkhordarian said that 'elevated greenhouse gas levels are responsible
for approximately half of the increased aridity'.

The rest is 'the result of ongoing human activity, most significantly,
the burning of forests to clear land for agriculture and grazing'. These
human activities are causing localised warming of the Amazon's climate
and make the ecosystem more vulnerable to fires. The during process is
made worse by blazes, which release aerosol particles into the
atmosphere. Black carbon, which is more often called soot, has a
particularly grim effect because it absorbs the sun's heat and causes
the atmosphere to warm up. The trend is dangerous because the Amazon
absorbs billions of tonnes of carbon dioxide As the climate of the
Amazon heats up, plants release more water to cool themselves down,
potentially causing an even greater drying effect.

'It's a matter of supply and demand,' said JPL's Sassan Saatchi,
co-author of the study. 'With the increase in temperature and drying of
the air above the trees, the trees need to transpire to cool themselves
and to add more water vapor into the atmosphere. But the soil doesn't
have extra water for the trees to pull in. 'Our study shows that the
demand is increasing, the supply is decreasing and if this continues,
the forest may no longer be able to sustain itself.'

It's feared the Amazon may reach the point where it cannot 'function
properly', meaning it does not absorb enough carbon dioxide to regulate
the climate. Nasa warned: 'If this trend continues over the long term
and the rainforest reaches the point where it can no longer function
properly, many of the trees and the species that live within the
rainforest ecosystem may not be able to survive.

'As the trees die, particularly the larger and older ones, they release
CO2 into the atmosphere; and the fewer trees there are, the less CO2 the
Amazon region would be able to absorb - meaning we'd essentially lose an
important element of climate regulation.'
Read more:
https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/06/amazon-rainforest-drying-vulnerable-cataclysmic-wildfires-nasa-reveals-11051252/?ito=cbshare
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

[BBC podcast "The Real Story"]
*India's pollution problem*
Released On: 08 Nov 2019
Available for over a year - 53 minutes
At one point this week air pollution in Delhi was so high that monitors
could not record the toxicity because it was off the scale. Schools were
closed, vehicles restricted, and people were advised to stay indoors.
But the situation in Delhi is not the full picture. Fifteen of the
world's twenty most polluted cities are in India. And air pollution is
just one of several severe environmental challenges in the country. Fast
paced industrialisation, poor waste management and badly managed mining
projects are all contributing to environmental degradation. So why have
India's pollution problems been so hard to tackle? What are the steps
authorities should be taking to improve the situation? And can the
country find a path that will enhance people's lives without damaging
nature? Join Pascale Harter and a panel of expert guests as they discuss
India's environmental future.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3csyddt

*This Day in Climate History - November 9, 2011 - from D.R. Tucker*
The Guardian reports:

    "The world is likely to build so many fossil-fuelled power stations,
    energy-guzzling factories and inefficient buildings in the next five
    years that it will become impossible to hold global warming to safe
    levels, and the last chance of combating dangerous climate change
    will be 'lost for ever,' according to the most thorough analysis yet
    of world energy infrastructure."

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/nov/09/fossil-fuel-infrastructure-climate-change