[TheClimate.Vote] November 14, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Nov 14 07:42:43 EST 2019

/November 14, 2019/

[toll from global warming]
*Climate Change Is Already Making Us Sick*
Brian Kahn
..."This is the first time we feel we can say these health impacts [from
climate change] have arrived in full," Renee Salas, the report's lead
author and Harvard-based doctor, said on a press call. "The more we look
now, the more we see it everywhere."

Heat waves are among the more obvious climate change-linked weather
disasters, and the report outlines just how much they're already hurting
the world. Last year saw intense heat waves go off around the world from
the UK to Pakistan, to Japan amid the fourth warmest year on record. The
Lancet report found that a record 220 million people older than 65--that
is, those most vulnerable to heat-related illness--had to face extreme
heat. Of those, 45 million alone were in India, where millions remain in
severe poverty, meaning that the most vulnerable of the vulnerable were
in harm's way.

The report also found that 2018 marked the second-worst year since
accurate record keeping began in 1990 for the spread of dengue
fever-carrying mosquitoes. The two types of mosquitoes that transmit
dengue have seen their range expand as temperatures have warmed; nine of
the 10 worst years for dengue have come since 2000, researchers found.
The range of malaria-carrying mosquitoes has also expanded as have
conditions suitable for vibrio bacteria responsible for diseases like
cholera.

Then there's the wildfire findings, which are new to this year's report.
Scientists found that more than three-quarters of countries around the
world are seeing increased prevalence of wildfires and the
sickness-inducing smoke that accompanies them. The biggest increases are
in rapidly developing countries like India and China, places where fire
is often used for agricultural purposes to clear land. But as last
year's Camp Fire in California showed, long-developed countries aren't
immune to bouts of toxic air.

While these are the risks of rising temperatures manifested, there are
also the health risks that come from burning fossil fuels themselves.
Air pollution has ended up in people's lungs where it can cause asthma
and other respiratory issues, but it's also showed up in less obvious
locations like people's brains and women's placentas. That means from
birth until death, we're living with pollution from dirty energy. The
report notes that 2.6 million people died in 2016 from that pollution.

There's no denying that all this is bleak as hell. But the report also
contains a silver lining showing that solutions are at the ready,
including some that will not only protect people from the ravages of
climate change but also poverty...
https://earther.gizmodo.com/climate-change-is-already-making-us-sick-1839839965

[don't forget Elephants]
*Elephant death toll in Zimbabwe rises to 200 amid severe drought*
NOVEMBER 12, 2019
Last week, authorities in Zimbabwe said that 105 elephants had died in
the past two months due to a severe drought spanning the country. Now,
the death toll has risen to 200, officials said.

At least 200 elephants have died in Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe
National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority spokesman Tinashe
Farawo told The Associated Press. A mass relocation of animals is
planned to try to limit future deaths.

Other animals, including giraffes, zebras, hippos, impalas and buffaloes
are also dying due to the drought. The situation cannot improve until it
rains in the region, Farawo said...
- - -
The drought has affected an estimated 11 million people, according to
the World Food Program, which is planning large-scale food distribution.

Zimbabwe and neighboring Botswana have the largest elephant populations
in the world, with 85,000 and 130,000, respectively. Officials in
Zimbabwe say they are struggling to cope with the population, and are
looking to sell ivory stockpiles and export live elephants to raise
money for conservation and ease congestion in the parks.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elephant-death-toll-in-zimbabwe-rises-to-200-amid-severe-drought/

[Psych-out]
*The world's psychologists take action on climate change*
November 14, 2019
Protecting the planet is the focus of the first ever International
Summit on Psychology and Global Health, co-hosted by APA, Nov. 14-16,
2019 in Lisbon, Portugal.
https://www.apa.org/news/apa/2019/climate-change-summit

[harming children already ]
*How Climate Change is Clobbering Kids' Health*
BY JEFFREY KLUGER - NOVEMBER 13, 2019
..."With every degree of warming, we are committing a child born today
to a future where their health and well-being will be increasingly
threatened," says Dr. Renee Salas of the Harvard University Global
Health Institute, lead author of the Lancet policy brief that
accompanied the study. "Climate change, and the air pollution from
fossil fuels that are driving it, threaten a child's health starting in
their mother's womb and only accumulate from there."

One of the most damaging examples of that cumulative phenomenon is the
microscopic particulate matter produced by burning fossil fuels. The
study found that more than 90% of the world's 2.2 billion children are
exposed to particles at concentrations above the safe limit defined by
the World Health Organization. Drawing their first breath in a world
like that leaves them at a higher lifetime risk of developing asthma,
pneumonia and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. And while the air
is, on average, cleaner in wealthy countries like the U.S. than it was
50 years ago, the world as a whole is becoming more urbanized, with 70%
of the global population expected to be living in cities by
2050--precisely where the air is dirtiest.

Rising temperatures, the leading indicator of climate change, do their
own brand of pediatric damage. Children's bodies are less adept than
adults at regulating temperature, and babies rely on caretakers to
remove them from the heat and give them water when temperatures rise.
This, the study explains, leaves them at significantly greater danger of
heat-related electrolyte imbalance, high fever, and kidney and
respiratory disease...
https://time.com/5724034/climate-change-childrens-health/

[checking the facts]
*Climate Feedback*
Scientific Feedbacks
"Is this article consistent with the latest thinking and knowledge in
science?"
"Would experts in this field endorse the main message of this article?"
These are the types of questions our "feedbacks" are designed to answer.
If the feedback is positive, you can generally assume the information
you're reading is of high credibility. If it's negative, however, you
may want to read with extra care and attention -- some of the
information contained and conclusions reached are not consistent with
science.
https://climatefeedback.org/feedbacks/

[battles of misinformation over any subject]
*Operation InfeKtion: How Russia Perfected the Art of War | NYT Opinion*
Nov 25, 2018
The New York Times
Russia's meddling in the United States' elections is not a hoax. It's
the culmination of  Moscow's decades-long campaign to tear the West
apart. "Operation InfeKtion" reveals the ways in which one of the
Soviets' central tactics -- the promulgation of lies about America --
continues today, from Pizzagate to George Soros conspiracies. Meet the
KGB spies who conceived this virus and the American truth squads who
tried -- and are still trying -- to fight it. Countries from Pakistan to
Brazil are now debating reality, and in Vladimir Putin's greatest
triumph, Americans are using Russia's playbook against one another
without the faintest clue.
https://youtu.be/tR_6dibpDfo
- - -
[related]
https://towardsdatascience.com/effect-of-cambridge-analyticas-facebook-ads-on-the-2016-us-presidential-election-dacb5462155d

*This Day in Climate History - November 14, 2012 - from D.R. Tucker*
At a post-election press conference, President Obama declares:

    "I think the American people right now have been so focused, and
    will continue to be focused on our economy and jobs and growth, that
    if the message is somehow we're going to ignore jobs and growth
    simply to address climate change, I don't think anybody is going to
    go for that.  I won't go for that. If, on the other hand, we can
    shape an agenda that says we can create jobs, advance growth, and
    make a serious dent in climate change and be an international
    leader, I think that's something that the American people would
    support."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlF6ikIbjGU