[TheClimate.Vote] November 18, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Nov 18 08:44:39 EST 2019

/November 18, 2019/

[New Republic]
*Climate Change's Great Lithium Problem*
The crisis in Bolivia has an urgent message for environmental policy in
the United States.
By KATE ARONOFF
November 16, 2019
- - -
Over half of the world's lithium reserves are held in South America in
the Andes' otherworldly, high-altitude salt flats formed from lakes of
lithium-rich brine. Mining companies remove that and transport it to
massive evaporation ponds to sit in the sun for months or even years. As
the water evaporates it leaves behind magnesium, calcium, sodium,
potassium and--the main prize--lithium, a white powder sometimes called
"white gold." While this predominant type of lithium extraction requires
big up-front investments of capital and expertise, the whole process is
less labor intensive than digging up coal or oil. Yet it requires
massive amounts of water in some of the driest places on earth, with
single companies using as much as 1,700 litres per second. This drain
has disrupted ecosystems around the lakes and cut off freshwater access
for indigenous communities in the so-called lithium triangle countries
of Bolivia, Argentina, and Chile. Indigenous communities and others
around the salt flats have led hunger strikes and blockades to protest
not only these issues, but a transfer of wealth out of their own
backyards to foreign corporations...
- - -
With the country in disarray, the future of lithium in Bolivia remains
uncertain. South American lithium extraction for now is concentrated in
Chile and Argentina. Workers and indigenous communities have protested
destructive mining practices in those places too, but with far less
sympathetic national governments, who are more eager to please
multinational corporations...
- - -
It seems like an impossible bind: Even if the global economy manages to
transition off of fossil fuels it will simply sub out one kind of
harmful extraction for another. The future of technology metal mining in
South America and elsewhere could look eerily similar to centuries of
colonial exploitation, dressed up as environmentalism: American highways
could buzz with Teslas traveling between sprawling suburban rooftops and
office parks decked out in solar panels, all premised on capitalist
profiteering and disregard for indigenous rights. Moreover, given
Chinese firms' domination of the lithium industry, we could see
geopolitical conflicts akin to previous ones over oil...
- - -
The sheer purchasing power of a U.S. government committed to making its
transportation system run on renewables could set a global standard for
labor, indigenous and environmental rights in minerals extraction,
ensuring the benefits of a green transition flow up and down the supply
chain. It could rewrite trade agreements in ways that prioritize
democratic governance over multinational corporations.

Whether recognized or not, the United States' climate policy is also its
foreign policy. Either it can keep setting the world on fire, or do
everything in its power to put it out.
https://newrepublic.com/article/155753/climate-changes-great-lithium-problem

[The smart climate communicator Kevin Anderson interviewed]
*Kevin Anderson Truth about Climate Crisis Part 1*
Oct 28, 2019
EVolution Show
Welcome to the Evolution Show!

Today's guest is someone I've been looking forward to have on the show
for a long time, Kevin Anderson the internationally acclaimed climate
researcher and speaker that makes sense of the climate crisis with facts
and humor. Kevin is very blunt about it, like we need to be if are to
have any serious chance of taking control of the potentially existential
crisis the climate crisis pose to humanity.

Kevin Anderson is currently professor in climate and energy research at
the Tyndall center in Manchester and is also advisor to the UK
government on issues related to energy and climate.

In this first part of our conversation we first get to know Kevin
Anderson and then break down some of the biggest challenges when it
comes to the climate crisis.

Join us for an important conversation that can take us to the next step,
because Kevin Anderson is clear, we still can make this but we need to
act now!

As always, feel free to keep the conversation going here on the
Evolution Show in the comments below and consider subscribing to
Evolution show to see the episodes as soon as they come out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcsVO9bKTpU
- - -
*Kevin Anderson, Reversing Climate Crisis, part 2*
Nov 4, 2019
EVolution Show
Welcome to the Evolution Show!

This is part 2 of my conversation with the very inspiring and
internationally acclaimed climate researcher and speaker Kevin Anderson
who tells it like it us about the climate crisis. With facts and humor
and are bluntnes he gives us the big picture in a rare framing that I
think many lack in public conversation about the climate crisis.

Kevin has inspired people like the now global climate leader, Greta
Thunberg who is also a friend.

Prof. Kevin Anderson is clear, we can still fix this but requires that
we inspire others, collaborate and don't shy away from telling the
sometimes tough truth, yes we are in a crisis but if we work together we
can take control of the situation before the climate crisis develops
beyond our control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FIwvYUuTOU
- - -
[2015 study referenced above]
*Piketty (and Chancel) on Climate Equity*
Remember Thomas Piketty, recently famous for a book named Capital in the
Twenty-First Century? Well the very same Thomas Piketty (Paris School of
Economics), together with Lucas Chancel (IDDRI, Paris School of
Economics) has just published a paper called Trends in the global
inequality of carbon emissions (1998-2013) & prospects for an equitable
adaptation fund.
https://www.ecoequity.org/2015/11/thomas-piketty-on-climate-equity/
http://piketty.pse.ens.fr/files/ChancelPiketty2015.pdf

[Wind speakers]
*Wind Area Officials Speak Up (short)*
Oct 11, 2019
greenmanbucket
Short 2 and a half minute edit of wind turbine area officials speaking
up on their experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaleP9BKZ84

[a few animated graphs explain why]
*Negative Emissions Needed for 2 Degrees*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixt6kyxfJVE

[Information Warning]
*Koch Industries Ramps Up Lobbying Against Clean Car Policies*
By Dana Drugmand - November 12, 2019
Koch Industries, the second largest privately held company in the United
States, has significantly increased its lobbying spending this year,
including efforts to influence policy on key climate and transportation
issues and legislation.

Mandatory disclosure forms reveal that lobbying by Koch Industries is up
by almost 20 percent compared to this time last year. According to the
forms, Koch lobbying expenditures through the third quarter total $9.1
million, compared to $7.7 million through the third quarter of 2018.
This increase comes after Democrats took control of the House, as the
Green New Deal entered the political discourse, and while a number of
clean transportation policies were considered by lawmakers.
- - -
On the EV tax credit, the "Fairness for Every Driver Act" represents the
Koch-preferred position--the bill proposes not only ending the tax
credit for electric vehicles, but also imposing a user fee on
"alternative fuel vehicles," essentially penalizing EV drivers. Wyoming
Senator John Barrasso, lead sponsor of the senate bill, is a top
congressional oil & gas industry campaign contribution recipient, taking
in $541,650 since 2015 including $15,400 from Koch Industries for the
2020 cycle. Missouri Rep. Jason Smith, sponsor of the House version of
the bill, has received $7,500 from Koch Industries for the 2020 cycle.

While the disclosure forms don't require Koch Industries to disclose
exactly how much they are spending on each issue, the evidence is clear
that the company is still actively fighting against policies that
threaten the demand for refined petroleum products, those same products
formed the backbone of the Koch petrochemical fortunes.
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/11/12/koch-industries-ramps-lobbying-against-clean-car-policies

[see the video]
*ARUNDHATI ROY WITH NAOMI KLEIN: ON THE FATE OF THE EARTH*
Watch Arundhati Roy‘s lecture and conversation with journalist and
activist Naomi Klein:
Join internationally-renowned author and activist Arundhati Roy for a
rare US appearance, in conversation with journalist and activist Naomi
Klein, in which she will discuss life on earth at the brink of
environmental collapse.

Humanity is at a cross-roads, facing two possible futures. One sees
ecological collapse and dispossession of billions people and wildlife,
provoked by unchecked corporate greed. A more hopeful future has its
roots in the millions joining a movement to save our planet.

After winning a global following for The God of Small Things, Roy has
spent over two decades exposing crises of ecology, human rights, and
democracy — and chronicling the noble resistance of ordinary people.
https://typemediacenter.org/schell2019/

*This Day in Climate History - November 18, 2008 - from D.R. Tucker*
President-elect Obama addresses the Global Climate Summit in Los
Angeles, California via a pre-taped speech, declaring that his
administration will be committed to reducing carbon pollution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvG2XptIEJk