[TheClimate.Vote] November 23, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Nov 23 11:55:46 EST 2019

/November 23, 2019/

[Give the People What they want]
*Voters want more climate-change debate, but the Democratic event gave
less than 10 minutes to the issue*
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/voters-want-more-climate-change-debate-but-the-democratic-event-gave-less-than-10-minutes-to-the-issue-2019-11-21
- - -
[See the details]
*Where the 2020 Democrats stand on climate change*
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/where-the-2020-democrats-stand-on-climate-change-2019-08-26

[Oh dear, now discussed openly, seriously - but not by politicians]
*The Collapse of Civilization May Have Already Begun*
Scientists disagree on the timeline of collapse and whether it's
imminent. But can we afford to be wrong? And what comes after?
By Nafeez Ahmed
Nov 22 2019
"It is now too late to stop a future collapse of our societies because
of climate change."

These are not the words of a tinfoil hat-donning survivalist. This is
from a paper delivered by a senior sustainability academic at a leading
business school to the European Commission in Brussels, earlier this year...
- - -
Yet this is not just a scientific debate. It also raises difficult moral
questions about what kind of action is warranted to prepare for, or
attempt to avoid, the worst. Scientists may disagree about the timeline
of collapse, but many argue that this is entirely beside the point.
While scientists and politicians quibble over timelines and half
measures, or how bad it'll all be, we are losing precious time. With the
stakes being total collapse, some scientists are increasingly arguing
that we should fundamentally change the structure of society just to be
safe.

Jem Bendell, a former consultant to the United Nations and longtime
Professor of Sustainability Leadership at the University of Cumbria's
Department of Business, delivered a paper in May 2019 explaining how
people and communities might "adapt to climate-induced disruption."

Bendell's thesis is not only that societal collapse due to climate
change is on its way, but that it is, in effect, already here. "Climate
change will disrupt your way of life in your lifetimes," he told the
audience at a climate change conference organized by the European
Commission...
- - -
He argues this is not so much a doom-and-gloom scenario as a case of
waking up to reality, so that we can do as much as we can to save as
many lives as possible. His recommended response is what he calls "Deep
Adaptation," which requires going beyond "mere adjustments to our
existing economic system and infrastructure, in order to prepare us for
the breakdown or collapse of normal societal functions."

Bendell's message has since gained a mass following and high-level
attention. It is partly responsible for inspiring the new wave of
climate protests reverberating around the world.

In March, he launched the Deep Adaptation Forum to connect and support
people who, in the face of "inevitable" societal collapse, want to
explore how they can "reduce suffering, while saving more of society and
the natural world." Over the last six months, the Forum has gathered
more than 10,000 participants. More than 600,000 people have downloaded
Bendell's paper, called Deep Adaptation: A Map for Navigating our
Climate Tragedy, published by the University of Cumbria's Institute of
Leadership and Sustainability (IFALS). And many of the key organizers
behind the Extinction Rebellion (XR) campaign joined the protest
movement after reading it...
- - -
"I say in the original paper that I am only guessing at when social
collapse will occur. I have said or written that every time I mention
that time horizon."

But why offer this guess at all? "The problem I have with the argument
that I should not give a time horizon like 10 years is that not deciding
on a time horizon acts as a psychological escape from facing our
predicament. If we can push this problem out into 2040 or 2050, it
somehow feels less pressing. Yet, look around. Already harvests are
failing because of weather made worse by climate change."

Bendell points out that such impacts are already damaging more
vulnerable, poorer societies than our own. He says it is only a matter
of time before they damage the normal functioning of "most countries in
the world."...
- - -
Bendell argues that the main trigger for some sort of collapse--which he
defines as "an uneven ending of our normal modes of sustenance,
security, pleasure, identity, meaning, and hope"--will come from
accelerating failures in the global food system.

We know that it is a distinct possibility that so-called
multi-breadbasket failures (when major yield reductions take place
simultaneously across agricultural areas producing staple crops like
rice, wheat, or maize) can be triggered by climate change--and have
already happened.
- - -
"For the Deep Adaptation groups that I am involved with, we ask people
to agree that societal collapse is either likely, inevitable or already
unfolding, so that we can have meaningful engagement upon that premise,"
he said. "Deep Adaptation has become an international movement now, with
people mobilizing to share their grief, discuss what to commit to going
forward, become activists, start growing food, all kinds of things."

Confronting the specter of collapse, he insisted is not grounds to
give-up, but to do more. Not later, but right now, because we are
already out of time in terms of the harm already inflicted on the
planet: "My active and radical hope is that we will do all kinds of
amazing things to reduce harm, buy time and save what we can," he said.
"Adaptation and mitigation are part of that agenda. I also know that
many people will act in ways that create more suffering."
- - -
Most of all, the emerging science of collapse suggests that civilization
in its current form, premised on endless growth and massive
inequalities, is unlikely to survive this century. It will either evolve
into or be succeeded by a new configuration, perhaps an "ecological
civilization", premised on a fundamentally new relationship with the
Earth and all its inhabitants--or it will, whether slowly or more
abruptly, regress and contract.

What happens next is still up to us. Our choices today will not merely
write our own futures, they determine who we are, and what our
descendants will be capable of becoming. As we look ahead, this strange
new science hints to us at a momentous opportunity to become agents of
change for an emerging paradigm of life and society that embraces, not
exploits, the Earth. Because doing so is now a matter of survival.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xwygg/the-collapse-of-civilization-may-have-already-begun

[different approach to science lecture]
*What The Press Doesn't Tell You About Climate Change - Dr. Hawley K
Rising III*
Aug 12, 2019
Humanist Community in Silicon Valley
This Forum of the Humanist Community in Silicon Valley
(www.humanists.org) was held on 3/24/2019. To see all of our Forum
videos, please visit vimeo.com/hcsv.

When we hear about climate change in the news, it is often in the form
of votes (polls) or it is in the form of very general statistics. In
reality, science isn't a vote, and climate change affects much more than
the frequency of storms or the sea level. This talk will examine some of
the rest of what it affects, by looking at where some of the theory came
from and what it means. This will be a talk about how it is easier to
break things than to put them back together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-KyWpwuqi8

[UNHCR = UN Refugee Agency]
*Climate change and disaster displacement*
Research indicates that the Earth's climate is changing at a rate that
has exceeded most scientific forecasts. Some families and communities
have already started to suffer from disasters and the consequences of
climate change, which has forced them to leave their homes in search of
a new beginning.

UNHCR recognizes that the consequences of climate change are extremely
serious, including for refugees and other people of concern. The Global
Compact on Refugees, adopted by an overwhelming majority in the UN
General Assembly in December 2018, directly addresses this growing
concern. It recognizes that 'climate, environmental degradation and
natural disasters increasingly interact with the drivers of refugee
movements.'..
- - -
*UNHCR's role in addressing climate change and disaster-related
displacement*
UNHCR's work on climate change and disaster displacement covers four
main areas:

    1. Legal advice, guidance and the development of norms to support
    the enhanced protection of the rights of people displaced in the
    context of disasters and climate change.
    2. Promoting policy coherence to ensure that issues of disaster
    displacement are effectively mainstreamed across relevant areas.
    3. Research to fill gaps that underpin this operational and policy work.
    4. Field-based activities to address internal and cross-border
    disaster displacement; to reduce the environmental impact of refugee
    settlements and ensure sustainable responses to displacement; risk
    reduction activities and others which may contribute to efforts to
    avert, minimize and address displacement...

- - -
The term "climate refugee" is often used in the media and other
discussions. However, this phrase can cause confusion, as it does not
exist in international law...
https://www.unhcr.org/en-us/climate-change-and-disasters.html

[Ten years ago]
*Climategate: 10 Years On*
On 19 November 2009, an unknown hacker published a cache of emails from
the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit. Multiple
enquiries would clear the scientists of any wrongdoing. But with their
emails taken out of context and posted on climate science denial blogs,
the scientists suddenly found themselves under vicious attack.

10 years on, this DeSmog special series looks back at the key players
that manufactured the scandal that came to be known as 'Climategate'. We
find out how it felt to be a climate scientist at the time, look at how
the science has moved beyond the myths sparked by cherry-picked quotes,
and reveal where those responsible for creating the smog clouding the
climate debate are now.

It was meant to be the hack that brought down climate science. But it
made the research stronger than ever.
https://www.desmogblog.com/climategate-10-years

[For those who wish to learn -- a few videos on one topic]
*Mathematics of Climate Change*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4O4jK-lZrI&list=PLU5dY2n3AbGFG9eUmkih3OPvqU-mg4LKh

[Book review]
*Rachel Maddow's New Book on Russia, Oil, and Politics Accidentally Had
Perfect Timing With Trump Impeachment Inquiry*
By Dana Drugmand -- Tuesday, November 19, 2019
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/11/19/rachel-maddow-blowout-book-russia-oil-politics-trump-impeachment

*This Day in Climate History - November 23, 2014 - from D.R. Tucker*
The New York Times reports:

    "A warming climate is melting [Glacier National Park's] glaciers, an
    icy retreat that promises to change not just tourists' vistas, but
    also the mountains and everything around them.

    "Streams fed by snowmelt are reaching peak spring flows weeks
    earlier than in the past, and low summer flows weeks before they
    used to. Some farmers who depend on irrigation in the parched days
    of late summer are no longer sure that enough water will be there.
    Bull trout, once pan-fried over anglers' campfires, are now caught
    and released to protect a population that is shrinking as water
    temperatures rise."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/us/climate-change-threatens-to-strip-the-identity-of-glacier-national-park.html?mwrsm=Email