[TheClimate.Vote] November 30, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Nov 30 10:29:27 EST 2019

/November 30, 2019/

[Eloquent explanation]
*Divest Harvard activist explains why they stormed the field*
Nov 29, 2019
The Hill
Divest Harvard Organizer James Coleman provides context for his group's
recent protest at the Yale-Harvard football game.
https://youtu.be/HWmJY_kQJW8

[not surprising]
*AMERICANS THINK GOVERNMENT SHOULD DO MORE TO PROTECT ENVIRONMENT, BUT
ATTITUDES VARY WIDELY BY PARTY*
https://www.newsweek.com/environment-democrats-republicans-government-economy-1474847

[because the YouTube algorithm protects and enhances misinformation]
*XR Youth Protest Youtube's Climate Denial Problem | October 2019 Action
| Extinction Rebellion*
Nov 28, 2019
Extinction Rebellion
"We're here outside YouTube headquarters because a guiding report has
found that the majority of YouTube videos go against the scientific
consensus about the climate crisis, and we're asking them to tell the
truth about the climate crisis, and not let this misinformation be
spread", declared one XR Youth activist genuinely concerned about her
future and that of her generation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huN3GXv-S1o

[high tech for fire support]
*New real time mapping system used on Cave Fire*
** Bill Gabbert - Posted November 27, 2019

A new real time wildfire mapping system was used on the Cave Fire near
Santa Barbara, California this week.
In September the Orange County Fire Authority began a 150-day pilot
program to use and evaluate the Fire Integrated Real-Time Intelligence
System (FIRIS). The program got off the ground thanks to funding secured
in the 2019-2020 California state budget by Assemblywoman Cottie
Petrie-Norris (D-Laguna Beach).

The system utilizes a fixed-wing aircraft equipped with infrared and
radar sensors that can see through smoke. The plane provides real-time
fire perimeter mapping and live high definition video to support
supercomputer-based wildfire predictive spread modeling.

A supercomputer at the University of California San Diego runs WIFIRE
spread projections based on fire perimeter data collected by the
aircraft. The output estimates where the fire will be in the next six
hours. The fire spread model adjusts for successful fire suppression
actions by firefighters on the ground and in the air. This intel allows
for more timely and accurate decision making for resource allocation and
evacuations...
https://wildfiretoday.com/2019/11/27/new-real-time-mapping-system-used-on-cave-fire/

[Get mentally healthy]
*Is Climate Change Making You Anxious? Here Are 5 Coping Tips From
Psychologists*
TESSA KOUMOUNDOUROS - 29 NOV 2019
Between news of devastating natural disasters, horrifying scientific
predictions, and the infuriating lack of political will to do anything
about it all, it seems we can't catch a collective breath at the moment.
Some days, news about the climate crisis feels like a heavy weight on my
chest. And I'm not alone.

Some of us are becoming increasingly overwhelmed, including the
scientists who have been working so hard on these problems.

"We are seeing a wide range of responses, including signs of anxiety,
depression, anger, guilt (ruminating, feeling overly-responsible for the
problem)," New York climate psychologist Wendy Greenspun told me.

A 2018 study in Nature Climate Change stressed that these reactions are
an entirely rational and legitimate response to the mess we've found
ourselves in.

Things are on track to get worse, which is all the more reason to find a
way to cope with these emotions, so we can face the challenges to come.
Not least because I wanted to soothe my own anxious mind, I dug into the
advice psychologists have to offer.

Here are their best tips on how we can cope when news about the climate
emergency becomes just a bit too much.

*1. Look after yourself*
Greenspun says that along with the more obvious feelings of distress and
changes in emotional levels, signs that climate news is having a
negative effect could also include things like an inability to stop
seeking out more and more climate news (something I certainly
recognise!) or avoiding the information entirely.

"People should pay attention to their emotional state in the wake of
reading and seeing climate news," Greenspun advises. "Self-awareness
might help someone recognise when they need to discuss their emotions
with another person or to take a break."

Coping with Climate Change Distress, a guide by the Australian
Psychological Society and colleagues, stresses the importance of
self-care, such as maintaining regular routines, and taking time out to
exercise, meditate, relax and do fun things that make you feel good...
- - -
"Taking breaks from the news instead of constantly reading may be a way
to stay connected without shutting down too much - being with people you
love and who care for you, being in nature, or anything else that can
bring joy and emotional refuelling."

*2. Make connections*
One of the most effective ways for facing feelings of powerlessness and
helplessness is to seek out other people.

"Connecting with others for support and to not feel alone may be one of
the most important ways to manage distress," Greenspun advises. "Social
support is one of the best predictors of coping with any kind of stress."

As Psychology for a Safe Climate emphasises in one of its publications,
when we provide support, security and understanding for each other, we
can become better equipped to deal with uncertainty and change. Having
conversations with a thoughtful, engaged listener is a well established
method for helping people with depression and anxiety.

"Being heard and hearing similar concerns from others helps legitimise
our feelings and can mobilise energy to engage with the issue and
action," says Ride...

*3. Take action*
Over 171 Swedish psychologists and psychotherapists agree that striking
for the climate is a healthy and constructive response for the students
who are feeling concerned about the climate emergency.

    Greta Thunberg
    @GretaThunberg
    Replying to @GretaThunberg
    Before I started school striking I had no energy, no friends and I
    didn’t speak to anyone. I just sat alone at home, with an eating
    disorder.
    All of that is gone now, since I have found a meaning, in a world
    that sometimes seems shallow and meaningless to so many people...

- - -
But if protesting is outside your comfort zone, taking action can take
many forms, including things like financial divestment or simply talking
to other people about climate change.

"The ability to reflect, think aloud and share stories is how we as
humans are wired to learn, change and grow - not as individuals, but as
communities," environmental psychologist Renee Lertzman wrote for the
United Nations Association.

*4. Focus on what you can do*
Amongst lists of countless individual actions and online voices guilting
us for not being 'eco' enough, trying to work out how to take action can
be confusing in itself. This type of thinking can lead to shame, which
can be paralysing.

The reality is we still have to function and survive within the system
and circumstances we have, even while trying to change them. With just
100 companies responsible for the staggering majority of CO2 output and
the need to make large systemic changes to the way our society works,
this is not something any single one of us can do alone...
- - -
"[Try] focusing on actions and behaviours you can control and not
spending as much time on those experiences over which you have no
control," said Greenspun.

*5. Seek courage*
There is no doubt that one way or another our societies will be changed
by the climate impact, but no one actually knows what that's going to
look like. Fear of this unknown has swung some people towards the
extremes of nihilism and led to a debate in the media about hope versus
doom.

I have have certainly struggled with these feelings as I've researched
climate change over the last decade in one capacity or another. I
remember finding great relief when I read these words from The
Guardian's journalist George Monbiot: "To be at peace with a troubled
world: this is not a reasonable aim."

"It is important to be aware of and accept how we feel even if they are
feelings of despair. Trying to fight our feelings takes a lot of
energy," advises Ride.

Lertzman believes the choice between hope and doom is a false dichotomy
and that there is a space we can occupy in between these extremes.

Others suggest hope doesn't necessarily require optimism. Radical hope
involves letting go of what we once thought the future would be and
building the courage to face uncertainty, so we can focus on what we
need to do to adapt to the future we're now facing.

"We may need to mourn over losses in the ecosystem and to our lives as
we know them now as a part of figuring out how to find meaning in all
that we face," says Greenspun. "It's helpful to counterbalance negative
information with stories of courage and positive change."...
- - -
This article was originally published as part of ScienceAlert's special
climate edition, published in support of the global #ClimateStrike on 20
September 2019.
https://www.sciencealert.com/is-climate-change-making-you-anxious-here-are-5-coping-tips-from-psychologists

*This Day in Climate History - November 30, 1999- from D.R. Tucker*
Exxon and Mobil complete their merger.
http://money.cnn.com/1999/11/30/deals/exxonmobil/