[TheClimate.Vote] October 4, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Oct 4 09:32:52 EDT 2019

/October 4, 2019/

[Desmond Tutu's opinion]
*Climate change is the apartheid of our times*
Boycotts, sanctions and divestment proved effective in South Africa, but
that required a mindset shift
by DESMOND TUTU
Corporations, financial institutions and socially conscious citizens
must pull us back from the climate change abyss. They have the muscle to
make renewables mainstream and reposition fossil fuels as the tobacco of
the energy industry.
[--- issue related video
https://next-media-api.ft.com/renditions/15688350393280/1280x720.mp4 ]
At last week's UN general assembly, more than 60 world leaders announced
new climate targets, with 66 countries pledging to reach "net zero"
carbon emissions by the middle of the century. But the US, Japan,
Australia, Saudi Arabia and Brazil were not among them.

UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres is counting on the leadership of
young activists to pressure governments to do more to address what he
rightly calls the "climate emergency". We agree that forward-thinking
young people are the change agents for tomorrow. But corporations and
financial institutions must act today. They should join the more than
1,100 institutions with $11tn in assets who have announced that they are
divesting.

The campaign to divest from fossil fuel has two legs: participants agree
to divest from fossil fuel and invest in renewable energy. Many have
divested (and many more must still do so) but relatively few have
reinvested in renewables. This second step is critical to make clean
energy more affordable, push us to the tipping point and lead to the
outlawing of fossil fuel use.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, one of our most important levers in
overcoming apartheid was the support of global corporations that heeded
the call to divest. Apartheid became a global enemy; now it is climate
change's turn.

Yet energy companies are continuing to explore for new fossil fuel
reserves that environmental scientists say we will never be able to use.
By the time those reserves are tapped, global temperatures will have
risen so high that the world as we know it will have ceased to exist.
July was not only the hottest month on record globally but also the
415th consecutive month with temperatures above the 20th century
average. If not checked now, climate change will wreck all progress
people have made in their understanding of the values of equality,
shared responsibility, human rights and justice since the second world
war and lay to waste the UN Sustainable Development Goals for 2030.

Former UN chief Ban Ki-moon's blunt warning that we can "delay and pay"
for climate change or "plan and prosper" is a clarion call to action,
but will those holding the reins of economic power have heard him? The
rich and powerful must be persuaded to pay. They have caused most of the
mess we are in. Their obligations are not legal; they are based in
ethics and human values.

Sadly, the leaders of some of the largest contributors to climate change
show little interest in human rights and justice. The prospect of what
some are terming climate apartheid, in which the rich pay to protect
themselves from the worst impacts while the poor take the full hit is
becoming depressingly real.

Companies must step into the gap. The financial sector, in particular,
must reinvent itself by gravitating to sustainable investments in both
developed and developing markets. If they don't want to do it
voluntarily, activists must insist that they do it.

Boycotts, sanctions and divestment ultimately proved effective in South
Africa because the underlying cause had a critical mass of support, both
inside and outside the country. That required a mindset shift. This
time, the whole world must recognise that attempting to perpetuate the
status quo is to damn future generations to violence and insecurity,

Real power lies not with those with the biggest bombs or bank accounts;
it resides in the people who elect them to power, invest in their
schemes and tolerate their trampling on the rights of others. We must
use this power wisely.

The writer is archbishop emeritus and won the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize.
Niclas Kjellstrom-Matseke, who chairs the Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy
Foundation and founded 17 Asset Management, also contributed
https://on.ft.com/30K2yFG

[internal combustion]
*California Is Prioritizing Mental Health Among Firefighters as Climate
Change Worsens Wildfires*
California is stepping up to help its first responders and firefighters
in light of worsening and more deadly wildfire seasons. Governor Gavin
Newsom signed a few bills Tuesday to increase the access to mental
health services for the state's first responders. This comes almost a
year after the state saw the deadliest wildfire in its history, and it's
much needed as climate change continues to intensify the blazes
firefighters are expected to put out and save people from.

The bills Newsom signed will create a peer support network across the
state, add post-traumatic stress disorder as an eligible injury for
worker's compensation, and prevent public agencies from contracting out
their 911 services to private for-profit companies. The peer support
programs and financial assistance for employees suffering from PTSD are
the focus here, though. They're creating new opportunities for
individuals who are dealing with the severe mental stress that comes
with fighting fires.

"The job of firefighters and first responders can be very rewarding, but
at the same time, extremely unpredictable," said Newsom in a news
release. "They can experience high-stress situations and traumatic
incidents that can push them to the limit both physically and mentally,
and we need to recognize and take those challenges head on. These bills
are meant to ensure they have access to resources and help in their time
of need, in the same way they assist their communities when they need
them most."...
- - -
Climate change is set to worsen mental health nationwide as a result of
exposure to natural disasters (such as wildfires or hurricanes) and the
anxiety that comes with such an overwhelming global crisis.

"At this point, it's not just about firefighters," Brodsky said. "It's
about all of us."
https://earther.gizmodo.com/california-is-prioritizing-mental-health-among-firefigh-1838714051

[oh poop!]
*Climate change is coming for our toilets. Here's how we can stop it.*
By Zoya Teirstein on Oct 2, 2019
Of all the amazing conveniences Americans are lucky enough to enjoy, the
bowl that makes the poop go away is one of the best -- on par with the
tap that turns the water on and the box that makes the food hot. But I
am here to ruin your day and tell you that climate change could
compromise the humble toilet. If we don't act soon, the consequences
could be disgusting.

About one in five households in the United States depends on a septic
system to eliminate waste (that's 60 million households, for those of
you who don't like fractions). Septic systems not only dispose of our
waste, they also protect public health, preserve precious water
resources, and provide long-term peace of mind for city planners and
plumbers alike. But that septic-associated security could go down the
drain, according to information in a U.N. report on oceans published
last week.

While the report is not specifically about your bathroom, per se, it
shows how a stealthy threat -- sea-level rise -- could make it more
difficult for people with septic systems to flush their toilets. A brief
primer on septic systems, which are common in rural areas: The stuff in
your toilet goes into an underground tank, where it breaks down (I'm
gagging) and gets drained out into a leach field (gross) that's at least
20 feet from your house. In order to function properly, those drainage
fields have to be relatively dry.

Rising groundwater levels (a problem that accompanies sea-level rise)
are soaking the fields, making it more difficult for our waste to break
down and get absorbed properly. Rising groundwater also affects the
soil's ability to filter out harmful bacteria, which poses a public
safety risk. And to make matters worse, increased rainfall, another
climate change-related perk, is exacerbating the issue. It's a back-up
problem that can't be solved with a plunger, if you catch my drift.

New England, where roughly half of homes rely on septic systems, is
especially at risk. So is Florida -- home to 12 percent of the nation's
septic systems. Miami-Dade county commissioned a report on vulnerable
toilets this year and found 64 percent of tanks could run into problems
by 2040. Minnesota, an inland state, has to contend with another
climate-related toilet problem: lack of snow. Snow, which keeps things
nice and insulated, has been noticeably absent in early winter and
spring. Freezing temperatures are still kicking around, though. That
means the frost line has taken a dive deep underground and compromised
thousands of Minnesotans' septic systems. See? Septic tanks are getting
it from all sides these days.

So is the solution to dig up all the septic tanks, put them on stilts,
and clothe them in Canada Goose parkas? Not exactly, says Elena Mihaly,
staff attorney at the Conservation Law Foundation. She worked on a 2017
report on climate change's effect on wastewater treatment systems that
laid out some possible solutions to this poopy problem.

One method is to reform the way septic systems are regulated so that new
systems are evaluated for their susceptibility to climate change before
they're put in. Researchers are already mapping out areas with
infrastructure that's vulnerable to groundwater level rise in coming
years in states like New Hampshire. When it comes to existing septic
systems, Mihaly says inspecting them when houses change hands at point
of sale is a "way to make sure that we're checking in on how
infrastructure is doing given current risk, and how it's changed from 30
or 40 years ago."

And there are other practices that can head off this problem, too.
Shallower leach fields, for example, rely on a narrower depth to treat
water. Municipalities can install town-wide sewer systems in areas where
household septic tanks don't make sense. Frequent inspections are key,
too. "It's important to get your septic system inspected every three or
four years," Mihaly said. "Not only looking at all the pieces on the
outside but at what's happening with the groundwater that is flowing
near it."

Most importantly, it's crucial to understand that groundwater doesn't
act in predictable ways, and it can impact more than just septic
systems. "It's not a given that if you have 3 feet of sea-level rise
you'll always have this much groundwater rise inland," Mihaly said.
"It's really dependent on the underlying geology of that area, so it's
going to be very location-specific." Roads, drinking water wells,
landfills, and other infrastructure are susceptible to rising
groundwater, too. "We actually have infrastructure that's inland that we
need to be thinking about as well in terms of reliability and
functionality in the face of climate change," she said.

You hear that, America? Climate change is coming for our conveniences.
It's time to get potty trained.
https://grist.org/article/climate-change-is-coming-for-our-toilets-heres-how-we-can-stop-it/

[Capital Weather Gange]
*Exceptional heat wave topples October records across much of the U.S.*
Mid-July heat stifles 131 million during early fall...
- - -
However, nationwide, the high temperature records overwhelmingly
outnumber the cold records during the past week as well as longer
periods as well. This is consistent with trends that have been tied to
human-caused global warming, which is favoring warm temperature records,
particularly above average overnight low temperatures.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/10/02/exceptional-heat-wave-topples-october-records-across-much-us/

- - -

[Agro]
*A rich Rio Grande farming valley faces drier fields, rising heat, and a
cross-state 'water war'*
Next-generation growers in New Mexico fear old wells and new technology
may not keep pace as water dwindles.
"THINGS ARE DRYING UP"...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/gone-in-a-generation/farmers-climate-change.html?wpisrc=nl_green&wpmm=1#farmers

[Activism - Greta and XR for October 7th]
*Greta Thunberg, "The Eyes of Future Generations are upon You" |
Extinction Rebellion*
Oct 2, 2019
Extinction Rebellion
"Right here, right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up
and change is coming...whether you like it or not." - Greta Thunberg
The Rebellion will take place across the globe from 7th October. Sign up
for London here https://Rebellion.earth/international...Worldwide
actions are planned in other major cities. See if your city is listed
https://Rebellion.earth/international...or, if your city is not listed,
then please visit our global site https://Rebellion.Global/ to get in
touch with your local group.
If not now, when?....If not you, who? Everybody now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfH6xpONabw

- - -

[More Extinction Rebellion]
*"What we want to do is save humanity from extinction", Prof. Jeffery,
Behavioural Neuroscience | XR*
Oct 2, 2019
Extinction Rebellion
Heading for Extinction (and what to do about it): "The problem is that
we as a society have for a long time been in denial of the ecologicial
crisis. We've been watching television, we read the newspapers, we're
informed citizens. We know there's been a problem with greenhouse gases
and deforestation. We know intellectually that these things are
happening but at the same time we've built a wall between our knowledge
and our actions. And that means that although we know about it, we are
not doing anything about it." - Kate Jeffery, Professor of Behavioural
Neuroscience, Experimental Psychology, Division of Psychology and
Language Sciences, Faculty of Brain Sciences, University College London
(UCL) https://iris.ucl.ac.uk/iris/browse/pr...
The Rebellion will take place across the globe from 7th October.
Sign up for London here
https://Rebellion.earth/international...Worldwide actions are planned in
other major cities. See if your city is listed
https://Rebellion.earth/international...or,
if your city is not listed, then please visit our global site
https://Rebellion.Global/ to get in touch with your local group.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_gXMofQb0E

[Let's not hold our breath]
*Bill Gates book on fighting climate change coming next June*
Bill Gates is taking his fight against climate change to the printed page.

Gates is working on "How to Avoid a Climate Disaster," Doubleday
announced Thursday. The Microsoft founder will outline his ideas for
achieving net zero greenhouse gas emissions, whether through local,
national or global action. Gates said in a statement that he wanted to
help "build the technologies, businesses, and industries to avoid the
worst impacts of climate change."

At the United Nations' Climate Action Summit last month, Gates announced
that his foundation was working with the World Bank and some European
governments to provide $790 million to help millions of the world's
small farmers adapt to climate change. The Gates foundation pledged $310
million of that.

"How to Avoid a Climate Disaster" is scheduled for June 2020.
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/bill-gates-book-fighting-climate-change-coming-june-66030805

[Risk]
*When Climate Change Leads to Mortgage Defaults*
Simple steps to make sure lenders and homebuyers -- not taxpayers --
bear the risk.
- - -
At the same time, when homebuyers neglect to buy the insurance that's
federally mandated in flood hazard areas, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
should exercise their existing authority to transfer losses back to the
lenders.

To make sure federal mortgage-market regulators have an accurate picture
of flood risks, they should encourage the private-sector data-science
industry to compete to provide the best possible forecasting algorithms.
If mortgage lenders can steadily improve their understanding of climate
risks, they can increasingly work those risks into their loan
calculations, by asking for larger down payments and charging higher
interest rates to borrowers buying vulnerable houses.

The risks of climate change keep growing, and homebuyers may never
develop the expertise required to recognize them. But mortgage lenders
have a responsibility to see what's ahead. They should ensure that their
customers know what they're getting into, and that taxpayers are not
unwittingly exposed.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-10-03/when-climate-change-leads-to-mortgage-defaults

[Two weeks ago PBS extends discussion]
*Why extreme climate scenarios no longer seem so unlikely*
Sep 19, 2019
PBS NewsHour
The United Nations has called climate change the "defining issue of our
time." But new analyses suggest the planet's temperature will rise by
even more than the UN had estimated -- and that warming creates
ever-increasing energy consumption due to the need for more air
conditioning. Paul Solman takes an updated look at the extreme risks the
globe faces from potential worst-case scenarios.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu3WoacqZiQ

[Average temp in degrees Centigrade]
*If warming exceeds 2C, Antarctica's melting ice sheets could raise seas
20 metres in coming centuries*
- - -
At the current rate of global emissions we may be back in the Pliocene
by 2030 and we will have exceeded the 2C Paris target. One of the most
critical questions facing humanity is how much and how fast global sea
levels will rise.

According to the recent special report on the world's oceans and
cryosphere by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC),
glaciers and polar ice sheets continue to lose mass at an accelerating
rate, but the contribution of polar ice sheets, in particular the
Antarctic ice sheet, to future sea level rise remains difficult to
constrain.

If we continue to follow our current emissions trajectory, the median
(66% probability) global sea level reached by the end of the century
will be 1.2 metres higher than now, with two metres a plausible upper
limit (5% probability). But of course climate change doesn't magically
stop after the year 2100...
- - -
Our study has important implications for the stability and sensitivity
of the Antarctic ice sheet and its potential to contribute to future sea
levels. It supports the concept that a tipping point in the Antarctic
ice sheet may be crossed if global temperatures are allowed to rise by
more than 2C. This could result in large parts of the ice sheet being
committed to melt-down over the coming centuries, reshaping shorelines
around the world...
https://theconversation.com/if-warming-exceeds-2-c-antarcticas-melting-ice-sheets-could-raise-seas-20-metres-in-coming-centuries-124484

[Yes, related to global warming is paleoclimatology - and it was more
likely a comet]
*Did a large meteorite hit the earth 12,800 years ago? Here's new evidence*
by Francis Thackeray, The Conversation
Just less than 13,000 years ago, the climate cooled for a short while in
many parts of the world, especially in the northern hemisphere. We know
this because of what has been found in ice cores drilled in Greenland,
as well as from oceans around the world.

Grains of pollen from various plants can also tell us about this cooler
period, which people who study climate prehistory call the Younger Dryas
and which interrupted a warming trend after the last Ice Age. The term
gets its name from a wildflower, Dryas octopetala. It can tolerate cold
conditions and was common in parts of Europe 12,800 years ago. At about
this time a number of animals became extinct. These included mammoths in
Europe, large bison in North America, and giant sloths in South America.

The cause of this cooling event has been debated a great deal. One
possibility, for instance, is that it relates to changes in oceanic
circulation systems. In 2007 Richard Firestone and other American
scientists presented a new hypothesis: that the cause was a cosmic
impact like an asteroid or comet. The impact could have injected a lot
of dust into the air, which might have reduced the amount of sunlight
getting through the earth's atmosphere. This might have affected plant
growth and animals in the food chain.

Research we have just had published sheds new light on this Younger
Dryas Impact Hypothesis. We focus on what platinum can tell us about it.

*How platinum fits into the picture*
Platinum is known to be concentrated in meteorites, so when a lot of it
is found in one place at one time, it could be a sign of a cosmic
impact. Platinum spikes have been discovered in an ice core in Greenland
as well as in areas as far apart as Europe, Western Asia, North America
and even Patagonia in South America. These spikes all date to the same
period of time.

Platinum spike and temperature graph. Author supplied
https://images.theconversation.com/files/294976/original/file-20191001-173364-1egasoj.JPG?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=600&h=799&fit=crop&dpr=1

Until now, there has been no such evidence from Africa. But working with
two colleagues, Professor Louis Scott (University of the Free State) and
Philip Pieterse (University of Johannesburg), I believe there is
evidence from South Africa's Limpopo province that partly supports the
controversial Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis.

The new information has been obtained from Wonderkrater, an
archaeological site with peat deposits at a spring situated outside a
small town to the north of Pretoria. In a sample of peat we have
identified a platinum spike that could at least potentially be related
to dust associated with a meteorite impact somewhere on earth 12,800
years ago.

The platinum spike at Wonderkrater is in marked contrast to almost
constantly low (near-zero) concentrations of this element in adjacent
levels. Subsequent to that platinum spike, pollen grains indicate a drop
in temperature. These discoveries are entirely consistent with the
Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis.

Wonderkrater is the first site in Africa where a Younger Dryas platinum
spike has been detected, supplementing evidence from southern Chile, in
addition to platinum spikes at 28 sites in the northern hemisphere.

We are now asking a question which needs to be taken seriously: surely
platinum-rich dust associated with the impact of a very large meteorite
may have contributed to some extent to major climatic change and
extinctions?

*A meteorite crater in Greenland*
Very recently a large meteorite crater with a diameter of 31km was
discovered in northern Greenland, beneath the ice of the Hiawatha
glacier. It is not certain that it dates to the time of the Younger
Dryas, but the crater rim is fresh, and ice older than 12,800 years is
missing.

It seems possible (but is not yet certain) that this particular crater
relates to the hypothesised meteorite that struck the earth at the time
of the Younger Dryas, with global consequences.

The effects of a meteorite impact may potentially have contributed to
extinctions in many regions of the world. There is no doubt that
platinum spikes in North America coincide closely with the extinction of
animals on a big scale about 12,800 years ago.

*Extinctions in Africa*
In a South African context, my team is suggesting that platinum-rich
cosmic dust and its associated environmental effects may have
contributed to the extinction of large animals that ate grass. These
have been documented  at places such as Boomplaas near the Cango Caves
in South Africa's southern Cape, where important excavations have been
undertaken.

At least three species went extinct in the African subcontinent. These
included a giant buffalo (Syncerus antiquus), a large zebra (Equus
capensis) and a large wildebeest (Megalotragus priscus). Each weighed
about 500kg more than its modern counterpart.

There may have been more than one cause of these extinctions. Hunting by
humans could have been a factor. And the large buffalo, zebra and
wildebeest had already been affected by habitat changes at the end of
the last Ice Age, which was at its coldest about 18,000 years ago.

What about human populations? A cosmic impact could have indirectly
affected people as a result of local changes in environment and the
availability of food resources, associated with sudden climate change.
Stone tools relate to the cultural identity of people who lived in the
past. Around 12,800 years ago in at least some parts of South Africa
there is evidence of an apparently abrupt termination of the "Robberg"
technology represented by stone tools found for example at Boomplaas Cave.

Coincidentally, North American archaeological sites indicate the sudden
end of a stone tool technology called Clovis.

But it is too early to say whether these cultural changes relate to a
common causal factor.

Map showing platinum spikes. Author supplied
https://images.theconversation.com/files/294977/original/file-20191001-173387-hjwi6d.JPG?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=600&h=419&fit=crop&dpr=1

*Reality check*
The Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis, and the evidence to support it, is
a reminder of how much can change when a rocky object hits the earth.
Many asteroids are situated between Mars and Jupiter, and on occasion
some come very close to our planet. The probability of a large one
striking earth may seem to be low. But it's not impossible.

Take Apophis 99942. It is classified as a potentially hazardous
asteroid. It is 340 metres wide and will come exceptionally close to the
earth (in relation to an Astronomical Unit, the distance between us and
the sun) on Friday April 13 2029. The probability of its hitting us in
ten years' time is only one in 100,000. But the probability of an impact
may be even higher at some time in the remote future.

What's more, comets associated with the Taurid Complex approach the
earth relatively closely at intervals of centuries. So a large asteroid
or comet could fall to earth in the foreseeable future.

The Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis is highly controversial. But the
evidence suggests it is not improbable that a large meteorite struck the
earth as recently as 12,800 years ago, with widespread consequences.
https://theconversation.com/did-a-large-meteorite-hit-the-earth-12-800-years-ago-heres-new-evidence-122426

*This Day in Climate History - October 4, 2914 - from D.R. Tucker*
New York Times columnist Gail Collins observes:

"There was a time when Republicans were leaders in the fight to slow
climate change — particularly for the concept called 'cap and
trade,' which had a marketplace-friendly tilt. Among the co-sponsors
of a cap-and-trade bill in 2007 was Senator Lisa Murkowski, a
Republican of Alaska. Murkoswki had to run for re-election as an
independent in 2010, having lost her party’s nomination to a Tea
Party favorite who complains about 'climate-change alarmists.'

"These days, it takes courage for a Republican to acknowledge that
human beings have anything to do with climate change at all."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/04/opinion/gail-collins-the-walrus-and-the-politicians.html