[TheClimate.Vote] October 10, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

richard pauli contact at climate.vote
Thu Oct 10 10:07:10 EDT 2019

/October 10, 2019/

[no power, no smoke]
*Northern California hit by mega power cuts over wildfire fears*
Large swathes of the San Francisco Bay Area - though not the city itself
- have lost power, angering residents.
The region's utility company, Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), has
warned the shutdown could last several days.
The company's transmission lines started the deadliest wildfire in
California's history last year.
With weather forecasts predicting high winds, the move is intended to
prevent the risk of fallen power lines igniting more wildfires.
"The conditions are ripe: dry fuel, high winds, warm event. Any spark
can create a significant event," said Ray Riordan, director of the
Office of Emergency Management in San Jose, during a press conference on
Tuesday.
The National Weather Service has issued a red flag warning for the Santa
Cruz Mountains, North and East Bay regions until Thursday, warning that
conditions could result in "the strongest offshore wind event in the
area since the October 2017 North Bay fires"...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49982236
- -
*How PG&E’s historic blackouts will put California's medical emergency
planning to the test*
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article235940257.html#storylink=cpy

[future battery power]
*Nobel Prize in Chemistry goes to development of lithium batteries*
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/10/nobel-prize-chemistry-goes-development-lithium-batteries

[sez the NYT]
*One Thing You Can Do: Talk to Your Children About Climate Change*
By Jillian Mock
Last month, young people around the world skipped school to join global
climate strikes. Children of all ages marched, chanted and carried signs
with slogans like, "You'll die of old age, I'll die of climate change."
Dark messages like that highlighted the worry many young people feel
about climate change.
Climate change and related natural disasters can take a toll on mental
health, according to a 2017 report by the American Psychological
Association. That can include depression and anxiety.
Children may be one of the hardest-hit groups. According to a poll by
the Washington Post and the Kaiser Family Foundation, more than seven in
10 teenagers and young adults in the United States say climate change
will cause harm to their generation. That includes young people who
identify as Democratics and Republicans.

In order to lighten that anxiety, experts say, parents should talk to
their children.
To address these fears, find a calm moment to ask your child what
they've seen or heard about climate change and how that makes them feel,
said Dr. Lise Van Susteren, a psychiatrist in Washington and a founder
of the Climate Psychiatry Alliance. She said parents should gently
correct irrational fears but not downplay anxieties just to make
children feel better. That could just make the child feel she can't
trust adults to be honest with them on this topic.
"Talk about the problem, then pivot to the solution," Dr. Van Susteren said.
Once you've discussed your child's climate fears, talk about people and
organizations that are already working on large-scale climate solutions,
said Maria Ojala, a psychologist at Orebro University in Sweden who
studies young people and climate change.

If possible, talk about solutions in a personal context. Highlight steps
you've already taken as a family or as individuals to reduce your carbon
footprints and brainstorm new ideas together. Taking action can be an
empowering antidote to fear, Dr. Van Susteren said. Encourage your child
to take action with her peers as well, like joining a group at school or
volunteering with a local organization. Collective action has mental
health benefits, according to Dr. Ojala. "We are social beings and it's
very good for our well-being to work together with others and be part of
a group," she said.
You probably won't get rid of your child's fears altogether, and that's
O.K., Dr. Ojala said. The goal is to help your child cope with her fears
in a constructive way to avoid hopelessness.
Finally, think about your own personal choices and lead by example, Dr.
Van Susteren said. Your children are probably watching.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/09/climate/children-anxiety-climate-newsletter-nyt.html

[infrastructure for carbon energy]
*Pipelines!*
James Hansen
How much effort to spend fighting pipelines?  What is the best use of
our time and resources?  On one hand, educating lawmakers and the public
about the merits of a rising carbon fee is crucial.  Once enacted, a
rising carbon fee will make the most carbon-intensive energy sources
uneconomic.  Oil derived from tar sands or tar shale is high on the list
of the most carbon-rich.

However, as part of my testimony last week to the Illinois Commerce
Commission, in opposition to the proposed expansion of the Dakota Access
pipeline, I did a calculation of the amount of CO2 that will be released
by the additional crude oil, if the pipeline capacity is increased from
570,000 bpd (barrels per day) to 1,100,000 bpd.  The additional CO2
emitted is equivalent to fifteen 1,000-megawatt coal plants.

The lawyers asked the question "If the proposed expansion does not
occur, won't refiners find other sources of crude?"  The real question,
it seems to me, is whether the Illinois Commerce Commission will pave
the way for expanded use of this exceptionally harmful fuel or whether,
by making the right choice, the Commission will exercise leadership that
other authorities can emulate, which decisions, in combination, will
function to restrict full exploitation of this carbon-intensive crude.

Stopping pipelines is difficult.  Yet climate science is clear. Most of
the additional CO2 pumped into the air will need to be extracted,
somehow, if we are to maintain shorelines and an hospitable climate for
future generations.  Just slowing approval of pipelines has merit.  If
construction is delayed long enough to allow governments to come to
their senses, we may prevent some pipelines from ever being built.

My testimony to the Illinois Commerce Commission is available here
[https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fsOV_5k5Yrkckf0POyH3yMasVn5iIVO6/view].
https://mailchi.mp/caa/pipelines-1143507?e=c4e20a3850

[It's called destabilization]
*Global Warming: rising temperatures could bring more snow | Just The FAQs*
Oct 9, 2019
USA TODAY
Climate change is making winters colder, despite rising temperatures and
hotter summers. Here's why.
RELATED: https://youtu.be/vsCK-5K_Mfo

Forget fall - portions of central U.S. will feel downright winter-like
over the next few days as a potent snowstorm and bitter cold take aim on
the region.

The powerful system is expected to produce heavy snow, as much as 12
inches, from the north-central Rockies into the northern Plains, the
National Weather Service said. Winter storm warnings and watches are
already widespread across the region, all the way from Idaho to Minnesota.

Significant travel impacts, tree damage and sporadic power outages will
be possible where the heaviest snow occurs, the weather service in Grand
Forks, North Dakota, warned.

Both Denver and Minneapolis could see their first snow of the season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoA9TYLVYNE

[To the Point - podcast - Elizabeth Kolbert - "We are the cause of it"]
*Human activity: as damaging as an asteroid*
66 million years ago, an asteroid caused Earth's Fifth Extinction,
destroying the dinosaurs and most other life forms. Now Earth is facing
another extinction, as fish, plants and animals vanish forever. But this
time, it's not the asteroid, it's us.

This week, hundreds of people, both young and old, took to the streets
in cities all over the world to begin weeks of protest called the
Extinction Rebellion.

In the natural course of evolution, the decline and disappearance of a
life form takes thousands of years. In the course of a human lifetime,
not even one species might disappear. But now, some 28,000 species are
vanishing all of a sudden.

Elizabeth Kolbert of the New Yorker magazine has written a book called
"The Sixth Extinction."  She says, "Extinction rates are hundreds,
perhaps thousands, of times higher than what is known as the background
extinction rate that has pertained over most of geological history."

In her words, "You should not be able to see all sorts of mammals -- to
name just one group -- either going extinct or on the verge of
extinction. And that is a tipoff that something very, very unusual, and
I would add, very dangerous, is going on."

"We're running geological history backwards. Fossil fuels that were
created over the course of hundreds of millions of years buried a lot of
carbon underground. We're now combusting it, putting that carbon back
into the atmosphere over a matter of centuries.  So we're taking a
process that hundreds of millions of years to run in one direction and
then, in a matter of centuries, running it in another direction."

We'll hear what that means now and for the future of life as we know it.
https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cua2Nydy5jb20vbmV3cy9zaG93cy90by10aGUtcG9pbnQvcnNzLnhtbA&episode=ZmE3NDdjNzBlZGU3NDQ1NDljNmQ3YWMyZWEzNzI5MjQ&hl=en&ep=6&at=1570661349327
-- - -
[great pictures]
*VANISHING*
October 2019 Issue
*What we lose when animals go extinct*
Animals are disappearing at hundreds of times the normal rate, primarily
because of shrinking habitats. Their biggest threat: humans.
BY ELIZABETH KOLBERT
PHOTOGRAPHS BY JOEL SARTORE
A recent intergovernmental report on the biodiversity crisis estimated
that extinction threatens up to a million animal and plant species,
known and unknown. The IUCN hopes to raise the number of species
assessments to 160,000 by 2020. Next up on its agenda: a "green list" of
conservation successes. It will be much shorter than the red one...
- - -
But trace all these back and you find yourself face-to-face with the
same culprit. The great naturalist E.O. Wilson has noted that humans are
the "first species in the history of life to become a geophysical
force." Many scientists argue that we have entered a new geologic
epoch—the Anthropocene, or age of man. This time around, in other words,
the asteroid is us...
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/09/vanishing-what-we-lose-when-an-animal-goes-extinct-feature/

*This Day in Climate History - October 10, 2009 - from D.R. Tucker*
In a New York Times opinion piece, Senators John Kerry and Lindsey
Graham express confidence that bipartisan climate-change legislation
will receive 60 votes in the Senate. Graham would later disavow support
for such legislation, setting the stage for its demise in 2010.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/opinion/11kerrygraham.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0