[TheClimate.Vote] October 16, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Oct 16 12:03:09 EDT 2019

/October 16, 2019/

[Start with zero]
*John Kerry declares 'World War Zero' in response to climate crisis*
This is the war we must wage and win, says former U.S. Secretary of
State as he encourages everyone, from politicians and generals to
activists and influencers around the world to join.

By Thomas Nilsen - October 14, 2019
John Kerry's speech at the Arctic Circle Assembly in Reykjavik this
weekend was followed by loud and long lasting applause from the audience
of Arctic stakeholders from around the globe.

The fast-escalating climate crisis has never been worded in such
dramatic tone as at this year's assembly in the Icelandic capital.

Scientist after scientist entered the stage with facts and scenarios,
which in sum painted a picture of a word heading towards Ragnarök, the
old Nordic mythology's destruction of the world.

We are moving towards the tipping points of the Greenland Ice Sheet and
the Atlantic Ocean circulation. The permafrost in the circumpolar north
is about to melt, likely to cause even greater releases of methane.
While CO2 is described as having a warming effect akin to wrapping the
planet in a sheet, methane released from the Arctic permafrost is more
like wrapping the planet in a wool blanket...(more)
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/ecology/2019/10/john-kerry-declares-world-war-zero-response-climate-crisis
- - -
[see the video]
*John Kerry at the Arctic Circle 2019 Assembly*
Oct 14, 2019
The Arctic Circle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8VuZqX2KAo
- -
[Portal for World War Zero]
*The future is watching. *
https://worldwarzero.com/

[McKibben opinion]
*Divestment works – and one huge bank can lead the way*
Bill McKibben
On 15 October, the European Investment Bank meets to decide its policy
on fossil fuels. The hand of history is on its shoulder
- - -
Anyone who believes in physics and chemistry knows that the time for
change is here – indeed, it's past due.

The fifteenth of October is a crucial day in the most important fight
the planet has ever faced, and a sign of whether Europe's governments,
particularly those of Germany and Italy, who insiders report have been
strongly against a fossil-free EIB policy, will respond with open hearts
to the outpouring of hope we have seen in the past weeks.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/13/divestment-bank-european-investment-fossil-fuels

[Military concern]
*Typhoon Haigibis: Lives Lost and Security Infrastructure Damaged*
By Marc Kodack
Typhoon Hagibis came ashore in eastern Japan this past weekend resulting
in multiple deaths while damaging or and destroying buildings and other
infrastructure. It is the most powerful storm to hit Japan since 1958.
U.S. military installations reported no deaths, but U.S. Naval Air
Facility Atsugi, approximately 21 miles south of downtown Tokyo,
incurred "structural or water damage to more than 20 structures."
Cleanup efforts continue across Japan.

Future attribution studies regarding climate change effects on the size
and intensity of Typhoon Hagbis will determine the degree to which (or
the probability that) it played a role. Two general climate
change-driven trends for Japan, however, are that typhoons are likely to
become more frequent and intense because ocean temperatures have been
increasing as a result of global anthropogenic CO2 emissions. More
intense typhoons have been occurring further north than in the past,
partially driven by climate change. This drift in location may affect
areas in northern Japan that are not used to being struck by these more
intense storms. Storm damages has already been increasing since 1950,
with even greater damages possible in the future because of changes in
storm frequency and intensity.
https://climateandsecurity.org/2019/10/15/typhoon-haigibis-lives-lost-and-security-infrastructure-damaged/
- - -
[planning for the future]
*Why Typhoon Hagibis packed such a deadly, devastating punch in Japan*
Storm's track, intensity, and 24- to 48-hour rainfall totals stand out
from past storm events
By Andrew Freedman
October 14
Typhoon Hagibis proved to be extraordinarily devastating for northern
Japan when it struck this weekend, unleashing more than three feet of
rain in just 24 hours in some locations, causing widespread flash
flooding as well as river flooding. The storm has killed at least 58,
according to the Japanese public broadcaster NHK.

In addition, high winds lashed Tokyo and Tokyo Bay, along with pounding
surf and storm surge flooding as the storm, once a Category 5 behemoth,
barreled across Honshu as the equivalent of a Category 2 and then a
Category 1-equivalent storm.

One reason the storm caused such severe impacts is that the inner core
of the typhoon, with its heaviest rains and highest winds, remained
intact as it swept across Tokyo and dumped heavy rains across
northeastern Japan as well. According to reporting from The Washington
Post's Simon Denyer, by Sunday, more than 20 rivers in central and
northeastern Japan had burst their banks, flooding more than 1,000 homes
in cities, towns and villages...
- - -
Typhoon Hagibis will go down in Japanese history as a multibillion
dollar disaster.

The storm's widespread impacts and high death toll are unusual for
Japan, since the country is one of the best-prepared in the world for
natural disasters given that it faces risks from earthquakes and
associated tsunamis, volcanoes and other natural and human-influenced
hazards, from heat waves in the summer to wintertime blizzards in its
far northern areas.

Japan can expect more high-impact storms like
Hagibishttps://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/10/14/why-typhoon-hagibis-packed-such-deadly-devastating-punch-japan/

[I have a little bit of one]
*There are three types of climate change denier, and most of us are at
least one*
Iain Walker, Zoe Leviston - October 9, 2019
Last week, amid the cacophony of reactions to Greta Thunberg's
appearance before the United Nations Climate Action Summit, a group of
self-proclaimed "prominent scientists" sent a registered letter to UN
Secretary-General António Guterres. The letter, headed "There is no
climate emergency", urged Guterres to follow:

    …a climate policy based on sound science, realistic economics and
    genuine concern for those harmed by costly but unnecessary attempts
    at mitigation.

The group, supported by 75 Australian business and industry figures,
along with others around the world, obviously rejects the scientific
consensus on climate change. But this missive displays remarkably
different tactics to those previously used to stymie climate action.

The language of climate change denial and inaction has transformed.
Outright science denial has been replaced by efforts to reframe climate
change as natural, and climate action as unwarranted.

However, this is just another way of rejecting the facts, and their
implications for us. Denial can take many forms.

*Shades of denial*
The twin phenomena of denial and inaction are related to one another, at
least in the context of climate change. They are also complex, both in
the general sense of "complicated and intricate", and in the technical
psychological sense of "a group of repressed feelings and anxieties
which together result in abnormal behaviour".

In his book States of Denial, the late psychoanalytic sociologist
Stanley Cohen described three forms of denial. Although his framework
was developed from analysing genocide and other atrocities, it applies
just as well to our individual and collective inaction in the face of
the overwhelming scientific evidence of human-induced climate change.

*The first form of denial is literal denial*. It is the simple,
conscious, outright rejection that something happened or is happening –
that is, lying. One Nation senators Pauline Hanson and Malcolm Roberts,
among others, have at one time or another maintained this position –
outright denial that climate change is happening (though Senator Hanson
now might accept climate change but denies any human contribution to it).

Interestingly, former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull yesterday blamed
"climate change deniers" in his own government for blocking any attempt
to deal with climate change, resulting paradoxically in higher energy
prices today.

It is tempting to attribute outright denial to individual malice or
stupidity, and that may occasionally be the case. More worrying and more
insidious, though, is the social organisation of literal denial of
climate change. There is plenty of evidence of clandestine, orchestrated
lying by vested interests in industry. If anyone is looking for a
conspiracy in climate change, this is it - not a collusion of thousands
of scientists and major science organisations.

*The second form of denial is interpretive denial. *Here, people do not
contest the facts, but interpret them in ways that distort their meaning
or importance. For example, one might say climate change is just a
natural fluctuation or greenhouse gas accumulation is a consequence, not
a cause, of rising temperatures. This is what we saw in last week's
letter to the UN.

The most insidious form of denial
*The third and most insidious form is implicatory denial.* The facts of
climate change are not denied, nor are they interpreted to be something
else. What is denied or minimised are the psychological, political, and
moral implications of the facts for us. We fail to accept responsibility
for responding; we fail to act when the information says we should.

Of course, some are unable to respond, financially or otherwise, but for
many, implicatory denial is a kind of dissociation. Ignoring the moral
imperative to act is as damning a form of denial as any other, and
arguably is much worse.

The treatment of Thunberg, and the vigour with which people push away
reminders of that which they would rather not deal with, illustrate
implicatory denial. We are almost all guilty, to some extent, of
engaging in implicatory denial. In the case of climate change,
implicatory denial allows us to use a reusable coffee cup, recycle our
plastic or sometimes catch a bus, and thus to pretend to ourselves that
we are doing our bit.

Almost none of us individually, or we as a nation, has acted as we ought
on the science of climate change. But that does not mean we can't change
how we act in the future. Indeed, there are some recent indications
that, as with literal denial, implicatory denial is becoming an
increasingly untenable psychological position.

While it is tempting, and even cathartic, to mock the shrill responses
to Thunberg from literal and interpretive deniers, we would do well to
ponder our own inherent biases and irrational responses to climate change.

For instance, we tend to think we are doing more for the planet than
those around us (and we can't all be right). We also tend to think
literal deniers are much more common in our society than they in fact are.

These are just two examples of common strategies we use to deny our own
responsibility and culpability. They make us feel better about what
little we actually do, or congratulate us for accepting the science. But
they are ultimately self-defeating delusions. Instead of congratulating
ourselves on agreeing with the basic scientific facts of climate change,
we need to push ourselves to action.
https://theconversation.com/there-are-three-types-of-climate-change-denier-and-most-of-us-are-at-least-one-124574

[Changes baselined]
*Scientists Want to Make a 3D Map of the Entire World Before Climate
Change Ruins It*
By Brandon Specktor - Senior Writer 18 hours ago Planet Earth
To record the world's most vulnerable places before they disappear,
we're going to need a lot of lasers.
https://www.livescience.com/map-the-earth-with-lasers.html

[watch the birdie]
*Commentary: As a birder, I see the effects of climate change every day.
Now, Audubon has quantified the threat*
by Kenn Kaufman
For serious birders who regularly observe birds in the wild, ignoring
climate change isn't possible. We have been seeing and documenting the
effects of a warming climate since at least the 1950s...
- - -
New research from the National Audubon Society released on Thursday
highlights the dangers of the trend. For its new report, "Survival by
Degrees," Audubon scientists analyzed the current geographic ranges of
604 North American bird species, and modeled how those ranges would
change at different levels of warming.

At a global temperature rise of three degrees Celsius, they found that
389 of those species--or nearly two-thirds of those studied--would
become endangered, losing much of their current habitat. Even if some
could shift their range northward, they would soon start to run out of
room on the map.

Ironically, the changes will make birding more exciting for a while,
with birders finding new species in unexpected places, but the downside
will be brutal. If warming continues unchecked, Audubon's models show,
many birds will lose massive amounts of territory...
- - -
But bird populations are in many ways the canaries for all of us, and
their shifting ranges warn of increasing droughts, floods, fires,
desiccating heat, rising seas, untillable farms and unlivable cities.

We still have time to do something about it, however. The potential loss
of 389 North American species projected in the Audubon study is what
would happen if global readings go up by 3 degrees. But the scientists
also modeled what would happen at lesser levels of warming, and the
results are striking. Limiting warming to 1.5 degrees would reduce the
danger for three-quarters of those threatened birds, Audubon's modeling
found. The obvious canary-in-the-mine message is that this would also be
of huge benefit to humans, reducing the potential suffering for people
worldwide.

Audubon's "Survival by Degrees" is not a gloomy forecast but rather a
call to action. Audubon is working on ways to help bird species survive
the climate change already underway. But the report also stresses the
need for action at every level, by individuals and governments alike, to
reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Audubon cares about preserving the
diversity of bird species, and that is the focus of its new report. But
every action to help birds pull through will also make entire ecosystems
more resilient...
https://phys.org/news/2019-10-commentary-birder-effects-climate-day.html

[Some deeper thinking]
*The Case Against Doing Nothing*
Taking a fatalist approach to climate change -- or anything else --
merely plays into conservative hands.
- - -
Doing nothing -- to reverse climate change, to create a more equitable
society, to elevate the marginalized and to heal the sick -- is exactly
what the other side is already doing. Doing nothing is exactly what the
climate deniers, the Koch network, the N.R.A., the fossil fuel industry
and every self-important yahoo in every gerrymandered district in this
country wants us to do, as well. It doesn't matter whether the reason
we're doing nothing is because we just don't care, or because we don't
think it will make any difference in the end.

Despair is paralyzing, and we have no time left for paralysis. Many
small efforts, especially when amplified by those of others, can have a
big effect. What if every homeowner in the entire subdivision stopped
using poisons and planted a pollinator garden? What if all the
neighborhoods in a city, in a state, in the nation, did likewise? These
efforts alone are unlikely to save the pollinators -- on whom so much of
our farming, and thus our very lives, depends -- but they are the first
steps toward the kind of collective consciousness raising that can be
leveraged into political will.

Maybe it sounds like pie-in-the-sky Pollyannaism even to hope for such a
thing, but hope is not a thing we can risk dismissing anymore. Until
next year's election, at least, hope seems to be all we've got.

Margaret Renkl is a contributing opinion writer who covers flora, fauna,
politics and culture in the American South. She is the author of the
book "Late Migrations: A Natural History of Love and Loss."
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/opinion/the-case-against-doing-nothing.html

[Tesla owners can breath easier]
*Watch Tesla with 'Bioweapon Defense' air system drive through scary
wildfires*
Fred Lambert
- - -
The automaker claims that it is about 10 times larger than a normal car
filter.

When working at full capacity, which Tesla calls "Bioweapon Defense
Mode," the company says that it is "100 times more effective than
premium automotive filters" as it removes "at least 99.97% of fine
particulate matter and gaseous pollutants, as well as bacteria, viruses,
pollen, and mold spores."

They eventually also added the feature to Model S, and it is proving
useful beyond just protecting drivers from general air pollution.

During the wildfire season in California last year, CEO Elon Musk
suggested that the "Bioweapon Defense Mode" could be useful to escape
some areas where the air quality is extremely bad due to the fires.

Now with the 2019 wildfire season in full effect, some owners are
finding the feature truly useful.
- - - -
When asked if he activated the "Bioweapon Defense Mode" (BWD), the owner
responded:

It was activated, but as soon as I saw the fire I was like LET'S TURN ON
BWD… it felt pretty epic hitting that button knowing that it would be
filtering the air from the fire.

Several other owners are reporting the air filtration system to be
useful to combat the air quality created by the fires in California
right now.

The fires have already burned several thousand acres in California,
where there's a high concentration of Tesla vehicles.
https://electrek.co/2019/10/13/tesla-bioweapon-defense-air-wildfires/

[Classic climate political/philosophical opinion from 2014]
*Call climate change what it is: violence*
Rebecca Solnit
Social unrest and famine, superstorms and droughts. Places, species and
human beings – none will be spared. Welcome to Occupy Earth
- - -
In every arena, we need to look at industrial-scale and systemic
violence, not just the hands-on violence of the less powerful. When it
comes to climate change, this is particularly true. Exxon has decided to
bet that we can't make the corporation keep its reserves in the ground,
and the company is reassuring its investors that it will continue to
profit off the rapid, violent and intentional destruction of the Earth.

That's a tired phrase, the destruction of the Earth, but translate it
into the face of a starving child and a barren field – and then multiply
that a few million times. Or just picture the tiny bivalves: scallops,
oysters, Arctic sea snails that can't form shells in acidifying oceans
right now. Or another superstorm tearing apart another city. Climate
change is global-scale violence, against places and species as well as
against human beings. Once we call it by name, we can start having a
real conversation about our priorities and values. Because the revolt
against brutality begins with a revolt against the language that hides
that brutality.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/07/climate-change-violence-occupy-earth?CMP=share_btn_tw

*This Day in Climate History - October 16, 1988 - from D.R. Tucker*
Discussing the role of global warming in the 1988 presidential election,
Chicago Tribune columnist Steve Chapman observes:

    "Last summer, one of the hottest and driest on record, the nation
    was roused by alarms about the 'greenhouse effect'--the gradual
    warming of the globe that threatens to turn coastal cities into
    underwater ruins and corn fields into salt flats.

    "The problem is that for the last century or so industrial societies
    have been releasing substances into the air that capture heat and
    erode the Earth`s shield against the sun. The villains? Carbon
    dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels, methane from natural and
    man-made sources and aerosol propellants.

    "But as soon as the heat dissipated, so did interest in the issue.
    In the campaign, the greenhouse effect has gone almost unmentioned...

    "Both candidates pretend the solutions will be painless and free.
    Both pass over the obvious remedies in favor of the politically
    appealing ones.

    "The nations of the world have taken one step by agreeing on a
    treaty to reduce the use of aerosol propellants. But any serious
    attempt to slow the warming of the Earth requires at least three
    additional measures: discouraging the use of fossil fuels like coal,
    oil and gas; big improvements in energy efficiency; and greater
    reliance on nuclear power."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-10-16/news/8802080029_1_greenhouse-effect-global-warming-environmentalism