[TheClimate.Vote] October 28, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Oct 28 08:48:01 EDT 2019

/October 28, 2019/

[check Wildfire Today]
*New fires in northern California*
https://wildfiretoday.com/2019/10/27/new-fires-in-northern-california/
- -
[updated fire map]
*California wildfires map*
https://www.latimes.com/wildfires-map/
- - -
[wildfires increase with heat, drought and wind]
*California Fire Updates: Emergency Declared as Residents Flee and Power
Goes Out*
Driven by gusty winds, the Kincade fire north of San Francisco was still
growing on Sunday, and power was shut off to millions of customers to
prevent more outbreaks. [nearly 3 million ]
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/27/us/kincade-fire-california.html
- - -
[click to see pix]
*The Kincade Fire in Pictures*
New York Times photographers are on the ground documenting the
destruction and the fight to contain the fires.
High winds in Sonoma County, in Northern California, on Sunday prompted
hundreds of thousands of people to evacuate as the Kincade Fire
continued to rage through the area...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/27/us/california-fires-photos.html
- -
[one minute video]
*Time Lapse of Kincade Fire in California*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQdm6qtAg9c

[politics is not physics]
*Chuck Schumer Proposes Electric-Only Cars by 2040, But That Won't Solve
Climate Change*
https://earther.gizmodo.com/chuck-schumer-proposes-electric-only-cars-by-2040-but-1839357278

[great news]
*Google and the Megacity Climate Heroes*
Oct 27, 2019
Just Have a Think
Our governments are failing us on Climate Change mitigation, and our own
individual efforts can seem pointless in the face of the overwhelming
global scale of the problem. But our City Mayors, with help from
Google's Environmental Insights Explorer, are fighting back. Could they
be our unlikely Climate Heroes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcrd37ebKPQ

[Paul Beckwith videos explain a recent study]
*U.S. Military Could Collapse within 20 Years due to Climate Change:
Pentagon Commissioned Report*
Oct 27, 2019
Paul Beckwith
A recent report by the U. S. Army War College (Pentagon commissioned)
concludes that the U. S. Military could collapse within 20 years from
climate change. This is a startling admission; that the most powerful
military force that has ever existed on Earth could be rendered
impotent, crushed like a bug, in less than 2 decades by climate change.
Clearly, the ability of abrupt climate system mayhem to utterly destroy
humanities military, infrastructure, indeed human civilization itself is
scarcely recognized or acted on by human power structures, yet is
blindingly obvious to hordes of schoolchildren around the planet (and me).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJWqai_Y7k
- -
[video #2 of 2]
*Climate Change Caused Power Grid Collapse and Disease Epidemics Could
CRUSH U.S. Military Like a Bug*
Oct 27, 2019
Paul Beckwith
Cascading, devastating, consequences of abrupt climate change are
hitting us (you and I) harder and harder, threatening to even topple the
mighty U.S. military within 20 years. One of the weakest links in modern
economies is the rapidly degrading electrical power grid; think of the
enormous size, power, and wealth in California's high-tech industries,
yet many companies and over a million people there have been facing
rolling power outages with their decrepid, wildfire causing power line
poles being toppled in Santa Ana winds, bringing economies to their
knees. What happens when the power no longer comes on?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hRWYNb1mu8

[Climate political martyr]
*Al Gore Gives Keynote Speech at Global Mayors Climate Summit | NowThis*
Streamed live on Oct 10, 2019
NowThis News
SAVING THE WORLD: Former VP Al Gore delivers the keynote address at the
C40 climate summit in Copenhagen, where 40 mayors from around the world
have gathered to discuss how cities can fight the climate crisis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBOiJWT3E-g

[Hammer down]
*Secret Deal Helped Housing Industry Stop Tougher Rules on Climate Change*
WASHINGTON -- A secret agreement has allowed the nation's homebuilders
to make it much easier to block changes to building codes that would
require new houses to better address climate change, according to
documents reviewed by The New York Times.

The written arrangement, in place for years and not previously
disclosed, guarantees industry representatives four of the 11 voting
seats on two powerful committees that approve building codes that are
widely adopted nationwide. The pact has helped enable the trade group
that controls the seats, the National Association of Home Builders, to
prevent changes that would have made new houses in much of the country
more energy-efficient or more resilient to floods, hurricanes and other
disasters...
- -
Today in Las Vegas, members of the International Code Council, a
Washington-based nonprofit that develops recommended building codes, are
meeting to consider the proposed changes to energy-efficiency building
codes, which get updated every three years. This round, the homebuilders
have opposed changes that include requiring better insulation in attics
and air ducts, as well as a proposal requiring new houses to be equipped
with the circuitry required to install a plug for an electric vehicle --
potentially making it easier for homeowners to switch to electric cars
in the future.

"Increased adoption of EVs will have a positive effect on overall U.S.
household energy spending and carbon emissions," the sponsors of the
proposal wrote. The homebuilders opposed the change, saying the
requirements "would have a significant impact on affordability,
particularly for entry-level homes and rentals."...
- - -
While four seats out of 11 on the residential building-code committee is
a clear minority, it provides considerable power, critics of the
arrangement say. Advocates for any change opposed by the homebuilders
must win the support of six of the committee's seven remaining voting
members.

"It really makes it difficult for the advancement of energy efficiency,"
said Ron Jones, a former board member at the association who is critical
of its position on codes. "The homebuilders took them hostage by saying,
'If you don't work with us, we will look elsewhere to promote other
codes.'"...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/26/climate/building-codes-secret-deal.html

[Opinion in the Financial Times - clip]
*The myth of green growth*
'Can democracy survive without carbon? We are not going to find out'
by Simon Kuper

Here's the story about climate that we liberals like to tell ourselves:
once we get rid of dinosaur politicians like Trump, we'll take on the
fossil-fuel lobby and greedy corporations and vote through a "green new
deal".

It will fund clean, fast-growing industries: solar, wind, electric
vehicles, sustainable clothes. That will be a win-win: we can green our
societies and keep consuming. This story is called "green growth".

Unfortunately, green growth probably doesn't exist -- at least not for
the next couple of decades, during which time we'll have to cut most of
our carbon emissions to keep the planet habitable. Our generation has to
choose: we can be green or we can have growth, but we can't have both
together...
- - -
To achieve green growth, we'd have to emit radically less carbon per
unit of gross domestic product. The amount of carbon required to produce
one dollar of GDP has recently been dropping, by about 0.4 per cent a year.

But to keep temperature rises at safe levels, the carbon intensity of
the global economy needs to fall at least 10 times faster, estimates the
Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century (REN21), a
think-tank...
- - -
But that would put us in a new world. Economic growth, democracy and CO2
have always been intertwined...Can democracy survive without carbon?

We are not going to find out. No electorate will vote to decimate its
own lifestyle. We can't blame bad politicians or corporates. It's us: we
will always choose growth over climate.
More at: https://www.ft.com/content/47b0917c-f523-11e9-a79c-bc9acae3b654

[this meme was invented in 1971]
*The Revolution Isn't Being Televised*
Media uninterested in protest movements around the world
It's all kicking off everywhere in 2019. Haitians are revolting against
a corrupt political system and their President Jovenel Moise, who many
see as a kleptocratic US puppet. In Ecuador, huge public manifestations
managed to force President Lenin Moreno to backtrack on his IMF-backed
neoliberal package that would have sharply cut government spending and
increased transport prices (FAIR.org, 10/23/19).
- -
Huge, ongoing anti-government demonstrations are also engulfing Lebanon,
Catalonia and the United Kingdom...
- - -
In other words, when official enemies can be presented as evil and
allies as sympathetic victims, corporate media will be very interested
in a story. In contrast, they will show far less enthusiasm for a story
when the "wrong" people are the villains or the victims...
- -
Which protest movements interest corporate media has little to do with
their righteousness or popularity, and much more to do with whom they
are protesting against. If you're fighting against corporate power or
corruption in a US-client state, don't expect many TV cameras to show
up; that revolution is rarely televised.
https://fair.org/home/the-revolution-isnt-being-televised/?awt_a=spTQ&awt_l=8yiKG&awt_m=j29Tux4.DYR._TQ
- - - -
[The 1971 sonic origin of this classic meme]
*Gil Scott Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnJFhuOWgXg
Official lyrics:

    You will not be able to stay home, brother
    You will not be able to plug in, turn on and cop out
    You will not be able to lose yourself on skag
    And skip out for beer during commercials
    Because the revolution will not be televised
    The revolution will not be televised
    The revolution will not be brought to you by Xerox
    In 4 parts without commercial interruptions
    The revolution will not show you pictures of Nixon
    Blowing a bugle and leading a charge by John Mitchell
    General Abrams and Spiro Agnew to eat hog maws
    Confiscated from a Harlem sanctuary
    The revolution will not be televised
    The revolution will not be brought to you by the
    Schaefer Award Theater and will not star Natalie Woods
    And Steve McQueen or Bullwinkle and Julia
    The revolution will not give your mouth sex appeal
    The revolution will not get rid of the nubs
    The revolution will not make you look five pounds thinner
    Because the revolution will not be televised, Brother
    There will be no pictures of you and Willie May
    Pushing that shopping cart down the block on the dead run
    Or trying to slide that color TV into a stolen ambulance
    NBC will not be able predict the winner at 8:32
    Or report from 29 districts
    The revolution will not be televised
    There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down
    Brothers on the instant replay
    There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down
    Brothers on the instant replay
    There will be no pictures of Whitney Young
    Being run out of Harlem on a rail with a brand new process
    There will be no slow motion or still life of Roy Wilkens
    Strolling through Watts in a red, black and green
    Liberation jumpsuit that he had been saving
    For just the proper occasion
    Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies and Hooter ville Junction
    Will no longer be so damned relevant
    And women will not care if Dick finally gets down with Jane
    On search for tomorrow because black people
    Will be in the street looking for a brighter day
    The revolution will not be televised
    There will be no highlights on the eleven o'clock news
    And no pictures of hairy armed women liberationists
    And Jackie Onassis blowing her nose
    The theme song will not be written by Jim Webb
    Francis Scott Key, nor sung by Glen Campbell, Tom Jones
    Johnny Cash, Englebert Humperdink or the Rare Earth
    The revolution will not be televised
    The revolution will not be right back after a message
    About a white tornado, white lightning, or white people
    You will not have to worry about a dove in your bedroom
    The tiger in your tank or the giant in your toilet bowl
    The revolution will not go better with Coke
    The revolution will not fight the germs that may cause bad breath
    The revolution will put you in the driver's seat
    The revolution will not be televised, will not be televised
    Will not be televised, will not be televised
    The revolution will be no re-run brothers
    The revolution will be live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwSRqaZGsPw

*This Day in Climate History - October 28, 1980 - from D.R. Tucker*
In their sole presidential debate, President Jimmy Carter and Republican
challenger Ronald Reagan discuss energy independence and, sadly, oil,
gas and coal dependence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8YxFc_1b_0 (57:00—68:00)