[TheClimate.Vote] September 2, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Sep 2 07:47:11 EDT 2019

/September 2, 2019/

[Sunday]
*Pope urges politicians to take 'drastic measures' on climate change*
Philip Pullella
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis challenged governments on Sunday
to take "drastic measures" to combat global warming and reduce the use
of fossil fuels, saying the world was experiencing a climate
emergency...[more]
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-environment-pope/pope-urges-politicians-to-take-drastic-measures-on-climate-change-idUSKCN1VM161

[letter]
*Why it's payback time on climate change*
The generation that has benefited most from fossil fuels must start
paying the price, argues Daniel Scharf
The principle of restorative justice (Glasgow University to pay £20m in
slavery reparations, 24 August) also applies to the issue of climate
change. I am of a generation that has profited hugely (knowingly or not)
from the careless use of fossil fuels. Reports on the Amazon fires just
serve to emphasise the urgent need to take action to eliminate carbon
emissions and absorb carbon already in the atmosphere.

Reparations in this case are due to the younger and future generations
and should start with us "silver rebels" sharply curtailing our
emissions and joining with Extinction Rebellion in the collective
(international) efforts to eliminate emissions in the next decade,
through which many of us elderly hope to live. The "silver rebels" might
have less to lose if arrested in the cause. The Guardian's daily carbon
counter will show us how we are all doing.
Daniel Scharf
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/29/why-its-payback-time-on-climate-change

[Storms]
*Here's Why the Carolinas Are So Much More Vulnerable to a Hurricane
Like Dorian Right Now*
Climate denial is in the storm's path, too.
Rebecca Leber - Mother Jones
- - -
...Climate change is part of the problem, with warmer temperatures
fueling deadlier, wetter storms. Rising sea levels increase the chances
of coastal flooding. But it's also the blind spots that North Carolina
politicians have developed on climate change. While seas are rising,
these lawmakers have encouraged building in low-lying areas, and in some
cases discouraged state law from reflecting scientific realities.
- - -
Unwise development isn't the only problem. As in Florida, North Carolina
politicians have also allowed climate change denial to dictate their
decision-making.

In 2010, a panel of scientists advising the North Carolina Coastal
Resources Commission, which guides the state's coastal development,
issued a report projecting 39 inches of sea-level rise by the end of the
century. The report triggered political backlash from developers and the
Republican-controlled legislature, which preferred that the commission
rely only on historical data. The state ended up passing a law requiring
a broader range of projections to dilute findings that sea level rise
would accelerate. Newer research has found that the sea level is rising
even faster along the southeastern coast than global averages. Instead
of considering the best science out there, the governor-appointed
commission ultimately limited the science panel's projections to 30
years into the future.

North Carolina's Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper, elected in 2017, has begun
to loosen these restrictions on how development plans incorporate the
latest science. Last year, a month after Florence struck, Cooper issued
an executive order to create an interagency climate change council. In
late September, the Coastal Resources Commission will look at updating
the 30-year limit placed on the science advisory panel as it prepares a
five-year update to its 2015 report, according to The News and Observer.
https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2019/08/heres-why-the-carolinas-are-so-much-more-vulnerable-to-a-hurricane-like-dorian-right-now/

[alternate report]
*Climate Crisis: More Fires Burning Across Central Africa than Amazon as
Global Deforestation Rates Approach Record High*
Harry Cockburn
September 28, 2019
There are the three great tropical forests. The Amazon, the Congo and
Indonesia and Borneo. They're all massively important, and in all of
them over the last 20 years we're seen really destructive forest fires.
see the map
https://portside.org/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/FiresInCentralAfrica-ic-9-1-2019.jpg
While focus has slowly grown on the fires ravaging the Amazon
rainforestin Brazil, it has emerged an even greater number of fires are
currently burning in central Africa.

Data from Nasa's Fire Information for Resource Management System, showed
at least 6,902 fires in Angola and 3,395 burning in the Democratic
Republic of the Congo.

The same data put Brazil's fires at 2,127.

The huge surge in fires in the Amazon this year has caused global
concern. The rainforest stores enormous amounts of carbon in the complex
ecosystem, it is the most biodiverse land area on earth, and its
conservation is essential if we are to limit the impacts of global heating.

In Africa however, the extent of the fires affecting forested areas is
unclear. In agricultural areas purpose-lit fires have been a common part
of farming techniques for thousands of years.

Farmers set crop fields alight to burn off the leftover grasses and
scrub plants. This burning helps maintain rich soils good for farming.

But lack of traditional grasslands is driving increased slash and burn
clearing of forests in parts of Africa, and therefore concerns are growing.

In the Amazon scientists have warned the rapid rate of deforestation
means the forest is increasingly at risk of reaching a tipping point at
which huge swathes of the rainforest will degrade into areas of dry
savannah.

"You'd have extensive parts of the southern and eastern Amazon and parts
of the central converting to savannah, and maybe to even drier
conditions," Professor Thomas Lovejoy of George Mason University told
The Independent.

The forest fires in Brazil have also largely been caused by agricultural
activity, as landowners burn stubble after harvest, use illegal slash
and burn clearing techniques to create land for crops or rearing beef,
or have carried out logging to raise the value of the land.

Despite increasing global awareness of the problem of illegal
deforestation, greater areas of tropical rainforest are being lost than
ever. More tree cover was lost across the world in 2016 and 2017 than in
any other year this century.

In the Brazilian Amazon, the rate of deforestation in July hit 870
square miles, or about five football pitches every minute of the entire
month.

Professor Lovejoy's colleague, Carlos Nobre, a senior researcher at the
University of São Paulo, told The Guardian deforestation was on course
to rise by 20-30 per cent this year and was "very likely" to pass 10,000
sq km for the first time in over a decade.

Richard Black, the director of the Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit
said it was difficult to assess whether the fires in Africa represented
similar problems as those currently affecting the Amazon.

He told The Independent: "Clearly both in the Amazon and in the Congo,
burning by small scale farmers is a way of life, it does happen. What's
different is the increase in the Amazon this year over last year –
almost a doubling in the number of fires."

"Bolsonaro seems to be encouraging this, but I haven't seen any evidence
of this in any of [the African] countries, is a key difference I think."

Emmanuel Macron, who has traded rhetorical blows with Brazilian
president Jair Bolsonaro, described the Amazon as the "lungs of the
world", and said "our house is burning" in a tweet last week.

The G7 countries pledged $20m (£16m) towards helping fight the fires,
following a summit in France.

But on Tuesday Brazil said it was rejecting the offer.

Mr Macron later drew attention to the fires in sub-Saharan Africa and
said "We are considering the possibility of launching an initiative
similar to the one we just announced for the Amazon."

Mr Black told The Independent: "I think there's an utter naivety in the
whole idea.

"With the Bolsonaro situation, it's clear one of the reasons why he's
keen to see the Amazon exploited is because he doesn't like the
international attempts [at intervention].

"There has been, for a number of years now, a big operation to put money
into the Amazon. What Bolsonaro shows is that programmes like this can
only really endure if there is genuinely political will in the recipient
country to keep these things going. Because there's no point in paying
to protect a forest for five years.

"I'm not remotely surprised he rejected [the $20m]. It absolutely could
have been predicted because his political philosophy is very much:
'we're going to decide, Brazil's going to decide what happens to this',
so I'm not surprised he rejected it at all.

"Also the sums of money are piffling if you're talking about serious
protection efforts."

The Nasa data also shows fires are affecting parts of the Amazon outside
Brazil, with fires in eight other South American countries including
Bolivia. Thousands of fires are also burning across Indonesia.

"There are the three great tropical forests. The Amazon, the Congo and
Indonesia and Borneo. They're all massively important, and in all of
them over the last 20 years we're seen really destructive forest fires."

Harry Cockburn writes news, features and opinion pieces. He has also
worked as one of The Independent's newsdesk editors since October 2016.
His work frequently focuses on the environment and global climate change.
https://portside.org/2019-09-01/climate-crisis-more-fires-burning-across-central-africa-amazon-global-deforestation

[Tamino is unofficial statistician of global warming destabilization]
*Methane Acceleration*
Posted on September 1, 2019
A recent paper by Nisbet et al. notes that methane (CH4) in the
atmosphere isn't just increasing, it's accelerating; the increase has
gotten faster recently.
There was a time -- from about 1999 until 2007 -- when atmospheric
methane wasn't increasing at all. It had been, before 2000, but it
remained steady for that 8-year period. But in 2007 it started rising
again, as is plain to see in the following graph. What is not plain to
see is that around 2014 it started rising even faster; the years 2014
through 2018 saw very rapid increase in CH4 levels.
- - - see the graph
https://tamino.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/ch4.jpg?w=768&h=511
Nisbet et al. identify the increased rate of rise in those four years,
and consider the implication for the Paris climate agreement. The stated
goal is to keep global temperature rise "well below 2C." So far, all our
plans, our computer models, our strategies that have a decent chance of
accomplishing that goal have relied on no increase in CH4, some even
rely on decreasing CH4 in the air. The fact that it's going the wrong
way, at increasing speed, is a genuine threat to our chances of success.

I took the CH4 data from Cape Grim (shown above) and first removed the
annual cycle, yielding de-seasonalized data. Then I fit two models. One
is a lowess smooth, shown here in red (deseasonalized data in black):
the graph https://tamino.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/ch4_mod1.jpg

The other is a piecewise-linear model in blue (deseasonalized data in
black, the thin red lines show when the slope changes occur):
- - - - Graph: https://tamino.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/ch4_mod2.jpg
The slope change times were chosen to give the best fit. According to
this model, the most recent slope change happened right around 2014.
Especially useful is the fact that both models enable me to estimate how
fast CH4 is changing. In fact the piecewise-linear model estimates the
average rate of increase during each linear "piece."

What do these models say about the rate of increase? This:
- - - graph https://tamino.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/ch4_rate.jpg
Red shows the estimated growth rate of CH4 from the lowess-smooth model,
blue the estimate from the piecewise-linear model. Both make clear the
increase in the growth rate that happened about 2014.

What's the source of the increase? One clue is the 13C/12C isotopic
ratio, which has been decreasing lately. Fossil-fuel CH4 is usually
"heavier" (i.e. higher in 13C than other sources) while microbial CH4
(from biological sources) is lighter. But we don't have enough
geographical coverage of 13C/12C isotopic ratio to nail down the source
of that change. Nonetheless, Nisbet et al. speculate on several possible
causes of the acceleration of atmospheric methane.

One possibility is an increase in microbial CH4, from wetlands and
cattle, which would account for the atmosphere's decreasing 13C/12C
ratio. Another possibility is a change of the fossil-fuel mix toward
natural gas, which has a lighter 13C/12C ratio than coal. Yet another
possibility is a decrease in the atmosphere's ability to break down CH4,
which would likewise account for both the increased amount, and the
decreasing 13C/12C ratio. The most worrisome possibility -- although not
yet a likelihood thank goodness -- is a dramatic increase in microbial
CH4 from permafrost melt or other feedback sources.

And of course we cannot rule out the possibility of "all of the above."
It's imperative that we cease the increase of atmospheric methane, if at
all possible.
https://tamino.wordpress.com/2019/09/01/methane-acceleration/

[2 new videos ]
*Water. Soil. Carbon... Sponge! Part 1*
Just Have a Think
Published on Sep 1, 2019
Carbon Dioxide levels in our atmosphere continue to climb, as does our
global atmospheric temperature. Despite greater awareness of the issues,
and huge strides forward by the renewable energy industry, we are not
having any effect on the overall problem. But some people think we're
looking in the wrong place for the solution and that all we need to do
is take some lessons from the way nature has always used it's resources
to regulate heat across our blue planet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBngaoG_-6A
- - -
*Water Soil Carbon Sponge Part 2 Regenerative Agriculture*
Just Have a Think
Published on Sep 1, 2019
Regenerative Agriculture has been around for a very long time. The
trouble is it's just not the way most modern farming techniques are
taught or practiced. Walter Jehne is an Australian microbiologist who
argues that with a few very simple changes to the way we manage our
land, all of which are just taking a lead from nature, the answer to
reducing our global atmospheric temperature could be as easy as A-B-C...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMFNqaBXBwo

[let me DNA 'Splain - humans had better change]
*Caring about tomorrow*
Why haven't we stopped climate change? We're not wired to empathize with
our descendants.
- -
One answer lies in the nature of empathy: our ability to share,
understand and care about others' experiences. Deeply empathic people
tend to be environmentally responsible, but our caring instincts are
shortsighted and dissolve across space and time, making it harder for us
to deal with things that haven't happened yet...
- -
We must try to evolve our emotional lives: away from the past and toward
a future that needs us desperately. Doing so might help us to finally
become the ancestors our descendants deserve.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/08/22/caring-about-tomorrow/?noredirect=on

[Opinion]
*Technology won't save us from climate change*
It's not hard to save the planet. But not if we insist on enriching
entrepreneurs on the way
...our civilization has been collectively hypnotized by the tech
industry into believing that everything can be solved by more gadgetry
and more money thrown at the tech sector...
https://www.salon.com/2019/08/31/technology-wont-save-us-from-climate-change/

[from the Washington Post]
*A free online course reveals the scary reality and health dangers of
climate change. But it also gets you involved in solutions.*
By Erin Blakemore August 31
Scientists warned for years about the ramifications of human-caused
climate change. Now, those predictions are coming to pass as glaciers
melt, wildfires rage and the global surface temperature continues to rise.

But the polar ice caps and the Amazon rainforests aren't the only things
at risk. Climate change is expected to have a big influence on our health.

The predictions are many -- and dire. As Earth warms, severe weather is
expected to increase injuries and harm mental health. Gathering
greenhouse gases will probably affect our lungs. Vector-borne diseases
-- illnesses spread by ticks and insects -- will increase. A free,
self-paced, ­massive-open-online course called Climate Change and Health
lays out the scary reality, and gets participants involved in solutions.

The course was developed by Rainer Sauerborn, a public health expert who
is a member of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the
United Nations' group of climate experts, along with educational
engineer Sophie-Hélène Goulet.

Videos, quizzes and interactive exercises help you understand how
climate change affects health, how humans might adapt to physical
changes on Earth, and how you can take care of your own health while
helping to sustain the planet. It includes commentary and research from
IPCC authors and experts from 10 countries.

Climate Change and Health is user-friendly and self-paced. It encourages
students to reflect on their own surroundings and advocate for better
health for themselves and others. And though there is the option to buy
a certificate of completion from Springer Nature, the educational
publisher that hosts the course, its evidence-based lessons are free to all.

Ready to learn? Visit bit.ly/climatemooc to get started.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/a-free-online-course-reveals-the-scary-reality-and-health-dangers-of-climate-change-but-it-also-gets-you-involved-in-solutions/2019/08/30/a00128da-c992-11e9-a1fe-ca46e8d573c0_story.html

[Dr Stephen Schneider 1945-2010]
*This Day in Climate History - September 2, 2005 - from D.R. Tucker*
September 2, 2005: Climate scientist Stephen Schneider appears on "Real
Time with Bill Maher" to discuss climate change's role in Hurricane
Katrina. -- video.
http://youtu.be/H9mWZZ2U6EQ