[TheClimate.Vote] September 17, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Sep 17 08:29:48 EDT 2019

/September 17, 2019/

/Activism Strike https://digital.globalclimatestrike.net/] *Global
Climate Strike, 20-27 Sept.*
/[catchy Facebook music video ]

*"We're gonna strike for you, Will you strike for us?"*
https://www.facebook.com/350.org/videos/495832824311358/
Global Climate Strike, 20-27 Sept.

[YouTube video call to action  https://youtu.be/FBHKkWsp9nk]
*I Strike Because...*
Published on Sep 11, 2019
On Sept 20-27, millions of people around the world will take to the
streets for the Global #ClimateStrike.
https://digital.globalclimatestrike.net/

Use the map below to find and RSVP for an event near you.
https://globalclimatestrike.net/usa/

[Media Mea Culpa]
*"We in the Media Have Not Been Doing Our Job": 250+ News Outlets Pledge
to Focus on Climate Crisis*
Published on Sep 16, 2019
Democracy Now!
A major new project from The Nation and the Columbia Journalism Review
hopes to improve global coverage of the climate crisis, with more than
250 media outlets around the world -- including Democracy Now! --
signing on to the effort to publish or broadcast stories on climate.
Organizers say this is one of the most ambitious efforts ever to
organize the world's media around a single topic. The week of coverage,
which leads up to next week's U.N. Climate Action Summit, kicked off on
Sunday. As part of the effort, CBS News released a new poll of over
2,000 U.S. residents that measured attitudes around climate change,
which found that two-thirds of Americans believe climate change is
either a crisis or a serious problem, and a majority want immediate
action to address the Earth's temperature rise. In San Francisco, we
speak with Mark Hertsgaard, one of the co-founders of the project,
called Covering Climate Now, and The Nation's environment correspondent
and investigative editor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ASa8vBJiU

[the Opioid case may apply to Fossil Fuel cases - public nuisance law]
*How the opioid ruling could help sue big oil companies*
Ann Carlson, professor of Environmental Law at UCLA, joins MTP Daily to
discuss how Oklahoma's opioid ruling can help fight climate change.
https://www.msnbc.com/mtp-daily/watch/how-the-opioid-ruling-could-help-sue-big-oil-companies-69073989944
- - -
[these are SUCH interesting times]
*UCLALaw's Ann Carlson "The oil companies sold a product that they knew
was going to create harm." *
https://twitter.com/sheredlingllp/status/1173737253983490048?s=20
https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/1173717938903355392?s=20
- -
[On the other hand]
*The Roberts Court Would Likely Strike Down Climate **Change Legislation*
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5ce33e8da6bbec0001ea9543/t/5d7d429025734e4ae9c92070/1568490130130/Supreme+Court+Will+Overturn+Climate+Legislation+FINAL.pdf

[discovering cyber-malfeasance]
*'Trollbots' Swarm Twitter with Attacks on Climate Science Ahead of UN
Summit*
A new tool is tracking automated and otherwise questionable social media
accounts as they sow disinformation, discord and division. Climate
change is a target.
BY MARIANNE LAVELLE
CNN's seven-hour climate change town hall for presidential candidates
was not a TV ratings bonanza, but it set off a marked surge of activity
on Twitter aimed at ridiculing the Democrats and dismissing the science.

"Climate change" became the top two-word trending topic on Twitter for
several hours after the event among the accounts being tracked by Bot
Sentinel, a free platform designed to track what it considers
untrustworthy or automated accounts. It was quite an unusual feat for
the topic to beat out--even temporarily--the phrase that sits almost
constantly atop the trending list for accounts on Bot Sentinel's
watchlist: "President Trump."

Scientists, activists and politicians who are engaged in climate policy
say they are being besieged by a surge of online attacks. It is
difficult to divine whether the bursts of "climate change"-related
Twitter activity are spontaneous or part of coordinated campaigns; some
experts say that likely a small number of influencers are touching off
postings by a far larger number of followers. But in a post-2016 world
that is keenly aware of the role that social media played in the
election of Donald Trump, the targets of climate attacks are concerned
about the potential for online onslaughts to manipulate opinion and
neutralize growing public support for climate action...
"I believe this is a concerted effort, likely by bad state actors and
fossil fuel interests, to create disinformation, discord and division as
we approach the all-important UN Summit and children's youth event later
this month," said climate scientist Michael Mann of Pennsylvania State
University, a frequent target of attacks.

Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the
activity.

*Tracking 'Trollbot' Attacks*
Bot Sentinel has become a tool for those trying to fight the spread of
disinformation on Twitter. The platform uses an algorithm to identify
accounts it labels as "trollbots"--those that frequently retweet known
propaganda accounts, exhibit repetitive behavior or violate Twitter's
terms of service by harassing other users. Following CNN's climate forum
on Sept. 4, there was an unusually high 700 mentions of climate change
in a 24-hour period from the 100,000-some accounts Bot Sentinel is
tracking as trollbots.

When a topic like "climate change" trends among the trollbots, it is
likely there is some amount of coordination involved, said software
developer Christopher Bouzy, founder of the year-old Bot Sentinel platform.

"What we are noticing is these phrases are more than likely being pushed
by accounts that have an agenda," Bouzy said.

"It's fascinating to see this stuff happen in real time," he said.
"Sometimes we can see literally five or 10 accounts able to manipulate a
hashtag because they have so many people following them. It doesn't take
that many accounts to get something going."...
- - -
Swedish teen climate activist Greta Thunberg, who traveled to the United
States for the UN Summit, has been a frequent target of toxic online
attacks. Soon after Thunberg started her two-week sailboat voyage across
the Atlantic, British political donor and co-founder of the Leave.EU
campaign Arron Banks tweeted, "freak yachting accidents do happen in
August." Following the lead of figures like Banks, lesser-known Twitter
handles have piled on.

Thunberg has brushed off the attacks: "When haters go after your looks
and differences, it means they have nowhere left to go," she tweeted. "I
have Aspergers and that means I'm sometimes a bit different from the
norm. And - given the right circumstances- being different is a
superpower."  U.S. climate change denier Steve Milloy, who served on
Trump's transition team, responded to the teenager on Twitter, "I don't
know about you... but I am not going communist because Greta the Climate
Puppet believes she has 'superpowers.'"...
- - -
*Twitter Deactivated a Way to Block 'Trollbots'*
Kutney endured so many online attacks after he got into a debate on
climate change last fall with the Dilbert cartoon creator and prominent
Trump supporter Scott Adams that he found a way to call for online help.
He launched a hashtag, #climatebrawl, to signal when someone is under
attack by climate deniers on Twitter. That hashtag, too, has often been
swarmed by climate deniers; he doesn't know if these are
human-controlled or automated accounts.

Bouzy said he got the idea for Bot Sentinel after seeing the impact of
social media on the 2016 election in the United States. It is designed
to identify coordinated online messaging campaigns regardless of
politics; Bouzy said the algorithm is indifferent to whether accounts
lean left or right.

At one point, Bouzy said Bot Sentinel had a feature that allowed users
to block trollbots from their Twitter feeds, but he said Twitter
deactivated the import tool without warning, rendering the feature unusable.

Bot Sentinel still gives Twitter users a way to analyze the behavior of
individual accounts and see which topics are sparking trollbot activity.

"There are coordinated campaigns being run every single day. It's pretty
much open season on these platforms," Bouzy said. "We're just trying to
give people a heads-up that this is happening--this is a narrative
that's being pushed right now. You may want to be careful."
Published Sept. 16, 2019
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/16092019/trollbot-twitter-climate-change-attacks-disinformation-campaign-mann-mckenna-greta-targeted

[Washington Post]
*Most American teens are frightened by climate change, poll finds, and
about 1 in 4 are taking action*
In a coastal town in Washington, climate change has a high school junior
worried about the floods that keep deluging his school. A 17-year-old
from Texas says global warming scares him so much he can't even think
about it.

But across the country, teens are channeling their anxieties into
activism. “Fear,” says Maryland 16-year-old Madeline Graham, an
organizer of a student protest planned for this week, “is a commodity we
don't have time for if we're going to win the fight.”

A solid majority of American teenagers are convinced that humans are
changing the Earth's climate and believe that it will cause harm to them
personally and to other members of their generation, according to a new
Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation poll. Roughly 1 in 4 have
participated in a walkout, attended a rally or written to a public
official to express their views on global warming -- remarkable levels
of activism for a group that has not yet reached voting age...
- - -
“People feel very guilty when a child says, 'You are stealing my
future.' That has impact,” Thunberg told The Post. “We have definitely
made people open their eyes.”

More than 7 in 10 teenagers and young adults say climate change will
cause a moderate or great deal of harm to people in their generation, a
slightly higher percentage than among those 30 and older. By the time
today's high schoolers turn 30, scientists say the world must achieve a
“rapid and far-reaching” transformation of society to avoid warming's
most dire consequences.

Several teenagers told The Post they are already feeling its effects.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/most-american-teens-are-frightened-by-climate-change-poll-finds-and-about-1-in-4-are-taking-action/2019/09/15/1936da1c-d639-11e9-9610-fb56c5522e1c_story.html?noredirect=on

[Some misinformation abounds]
*Five climate change science misconceptions debunked*
by Mark Maslin, The Conversation
The science of climate change is more than 150 years old and it is
probably the most tested area of modern science. However the energy
industry, political lobbyists and others have spent the last 30 years
sowing doubt about the science where none really exists. The latest
estimate is that the world's five largest publicly-owned oil and gas
companies spend about US$200m each year on lobbying to control, delay or
block binding climate-motivated policy.

This organized and orchestrated climate change science denial has
contributed to the lack of progress in reducing global green house gas
(GHG) emissions--to the point that we are facing a global climate
emergency. And when climate change deniers use certain myths--at best
fake news and at worse straight lies--to undermine the science of
climate change, ordinary people can find it hard to see through the fog.
Here are five commonly used myths and the real science that debunks them.

*1. Climate change is just part of the natural cycle*
The climate of the Earth has always changed, but the study of
palaeoclimatology or "past climates" shows us that the changes in the
last 150 years – since the start of the industrial revolution--have been
exceptional and cannot be natural. Modelling results suggest that future
predicted warming could be unprecedented compared to the previous 5m years.

The "natural changes" argument is supplemented with the story that the
Earth's climate is just recovering from the cooler temperatures of the
Little Ice Age (1300-1850AD) and that temperatures today are really the
same as the Medieval Warm Period (900–1300AD). The problem is that both
the Little Ice Age and the Medieval Warming period were not global but
regional changes in climate affecting north-west Europe, eastern
America, Greenland and Iceland.

A study using 700 climate records showed that, over the last 2,000
years, the only time the climate all around the World has changed at the
same time and in the same direction has been in the last 150 years, when
over 98% of the surface of the planet has warmed...
- - -
*2. Changes are due to sunspots/galactic cosmic rays*
Sunspots are storms on the sun's surface that come with intense magnetic
activity and can be accompanied by solar flares. These sunspots do have
the power to modify the climate on Earth. But scientists using sensors
on satellites have been recording the amount of the sun's energy hitting
Earth since 1978 and there has been no upward trend. So they cannot be
the cause of the recent global warming...
  First, the scientific evidence shows that galactic cosmic rays
(GCRs).. are not very effective at seeding clouds. And second, over the
last 50 years, the amount of GCRs have actually increased, hitting
record levels in recent years. If this idea were correct, GCRs should be
cooling the Earth, which they aren't...
- - -
*3. CO2 is a small part of the atmosphere--it can't have a large heating
affect*
This is an attempt to play a classic common-sense card but is completely
wrong. In 1856, American scientist Eunice Newton Foote conducted an
experiment with an air pump, two glass cylinders and four thermometers.
It showed that a cylinder containing carbon dioxide and placed in the
sun trapped more heat and stayed warmer longer than a cylinder with
normal air. Scientists have repeated these experiments in the laboratory
and in the atmosphere, demonstrating again and again the greenhouse
effect of carbon dioxide.

As for the "common sense" scale argument that a very small part of
something can't have much of an effect on it, it only takes 0.1 grams of
cyanide to kill an adult, which is about 0.0001% of your body weight.
Compare this with carbon dioxide, which currently makes up 0.04% of the
atmosphere and is a strong greenhouse gas. Meanwhile, nitrogen makes up
78% of the atmosphere and yet is highly unreactive...
- - -
*4. Scientists manipulate all data sets to show a warming trend*
This is not true and a simplistic device used to attack the credibility
of climate scientists. It would require a conspiracy covering thousands
of scientists in more than a 100 countries to reach the scale required
to do this.

Scientists do correct and validate data all the time. For example we
have to correct historic temperature records as how they were measured
has changed. Between 1856 and 1941, most sea temperatures were measured
using seawater hoisted on deck in a bucket. Even this was not consistent
as there was a shift from wooden to canvas buckets and from sailing
ships to steamships, which altered the height of the ship's deck--and
these changes in turn altered the amount of cooling caused by
evaporation as the bucket was hoisted onto deck. Since 1941, most
measurements have been made at the ship's engine water intakes, so
there's no cooling from evaporation to account for.
- - -
*5. Climate models are unreliable and too sensitive to carbon dioxide*
This is incorrect and misunderstands how models work. It is a way of
downplaying the seriousness of future climate change. There is a huge
range of climate models, from those aimed at specific mechanisms such as
the understanding of clouds, to general circulation models (GCMs) that
are used to predict the future climate of our planet.

There are over 20 major international centers where teams of some of
smartest people in the world have built and run GCMs containing millions
of lines of code representing the very latest understanding of the
climate system. These models are continually tested against historic and
palaeoclimate data as well as individual climate events such as large
volcanic eruptions to make sure they reconstruct the climate, which they
do extremely well.
- - -
There is no scientific support for the continual denial of climate
change. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), set up by
the United Nations to openly and transparently summarize the science,
provides six clear lines of evidence for climate change. As extreme
weather becomes more and more common, people are realizing that they do
not need scientists to tell them the climate is changing--they are
seeing and experiencing it first hand.
https://phys.org/news/2019-09-climate-science-misconceptions-debunked.html
- - -
[Award winning site lists all 197 myths]
*The MOST USED Climate Myths* [197 total]
Global Warming & Climate Change Myths
Here is a summary of global warming and climate change myths, sorted by
recent popularity vs what science says. Click the response for a more
detailed response. You can also view them sorted by taxonomy, by
popularity, in a print-friendly version, with short URLs or with fixed
numbers you can use for permanent references.
https://skepticalscience.com/argument.php

[Los Angeles opinion]
*Editorial: Climate change is already here. 2020 could be your last
chance to stop an apocalypse*
By THE TIMES EDITORIAL BOARD
SEP. 15, 2019 7 AM
The world is drifting steadily toward a climate catastrophe. For many of
us, that's been clear for a few years or maybe a decade or even a few
decades.

But others have known that a reckoning was coming for much longer. A
Swedish scientist first calculated in 1896 that adding carbon dioxide to
the atmosphere could lead to warmer global temperatures. By the 1930s,
scientists were measuring the increase, and in the late 1960s, they had
documented the impact of melting ice in Antarctica. By 1977, Exxon-Mobil
had recognized its own role in the warming of the ocean, the polar ice
melt and the rising sea level.

For obvious reasons, Exxon-Mobil launched a massive public
disinformation campaign to muddy the science and downplay the danger.
But in retrospect, it needn't have bothered. Because even after the
facts became incontestably clear, the world did shockingly little to
protect itself. In the first 17 years after the Kyoto protocol committed
its signatories to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, global emissions
continued to rise. Decades of studied ignorance, political cowardice,
cynical denialism and irresponsible dithering have allowed the problem
to grow deeper and immeasurably harder to solve.

But today, we are at an important turning point. The changing climate is
no longer an abstract threat lurking in our distant future -- it is upon
us. We feel it. We see it. In our longer and deeper droughts and our
more brutal hurricanes and raging, hyper-destructive wildfires. And with
that comes a new urgency, and a new opportunity, to act.
Climate change is now simply impossible to ignore. The temperature
reached a record-breaking 90 degrees in Anchorage this summer and an
unprecedented 108 degrees in Paris. We can watch glaciers melting and
collapsing on the web; ice losses in Antarctica have tripled since 2012
so that sea levels are rising faster today than at any time in the last
quarter-century. Human migration patterns are already changing in Africa
and Latin America as extreme weather events disrupt crop patterns, harm
harvests and force farmers off their land, sending climate refugees to
Europe and the United States.

It's often difficult to attribute specific events to climate change but,
clearly, strange things are happening. In India, entire cities are
running out of water, thanks, scientists say, to a dangerous combination
of mismanagement and climate change. In Syria, the civil war that has
killed hundreds of thousands of people and displaced more than 11
million is believed by many scientists to have been sparked at least in
part by climate-related drought and warming. Closer to home, two
invasive, non-native mosquito species that have the potential to
transmit viruses, including dengue, Zika and yellow fever have recently
been found in several California cities.

According to NASA, 18 of the 19 warmest years ever recorded have
occurred since 2000. The last five years have been the hottest since
record-keeping began in 1880. July set an all-time record.

Here's another reason we're at a turning point (at least in the United
States): An election is coming.
For three years, Americans have been living under the willfully blind,
anti-scientific, business-coddling rule of President Trump, who has
stubbornly chosen climate denial over rationality. We now have an
opportunity to resoundingly reject his policies by voting him out of
office, along with congressional Republicans who enable him. There are
plenty of reasons to fight for Trump's defeat in November 2020, but his
deeply irresponsible climate policies -- including moving to pull the
U.S. out of the Paris climate agreement, roll back Barack Obama's
emission limits on coal-fired plants, rescind rules governing methane
emissions and relax national fuel emission standards -- are among the
strongest.

It is late -- terribly late -- for action, but with some luck, perhaps
it is not too late to avoid some of the worst impacts of climate change.
In nations across the world, people finally recognize climate change as
a top or very serious threat, according to the Pew Research Center. In
the U.S., even Republican voters -- and especially younger ones -- are
waking up to the realities and dangers of a warming planet.

Fewer and fewer people today doubt the overwhelming scientific evidence:
By burning fossil fuels for energy, humans have added so much carbon
(and other greenhouse gases) to the atmosphere that we are changing
nature itself, imperiling the delicate interdependence among species and
putting our own survival at risk. Scientists say with certainty that we
must radically transform how we make and use energy within a decade if
we are to have any chance of mitigating the damage.

There are plenty of reasons to fight for Trump's defeat in November
2020, but his deeply irresponsible climate policies ... are among the
strongest.
But figuring out what must be done at this late stage is complicated.
There are a wide range of emissions sources and many ways to approach
them, ranging from the microsteps that can be taken by individuals -- Do
you have to take that car trip? That airline flight? -- to the much more
important macro-policies that must be adopted by nations.

Globally, 25% of greenhouse gas emissions today comes from burning
fossil fuels to create heat and electricity, mostly for residential and
commercial buildings; another 23% is the result of burning fuel for
industrial uses. And 14% comes from transportation.

All that burning of carbon fuels needs to end; yet unless policies and
politics change dramatically, it won't end. Even in this time of
heightened clarity, two-thirds of new passenger vehicles bought in the
U.S. last year were gas-guzzling pickup trucks and SUVs. Those SUVs will
be on the road an average of eight years, and the pickups for more than
13 years, as the time to address the climate problem slips away. Blame
for this falls not just on consumers, but also on the manufacturers and
the government, which has done too little to disincentivize the driving
of gas-powered cars.

In the years since Kyoto, the world has undertaken significant efforts
to ratchet down energy consumption, curtail coal burning (the dirtiest
of the fossil fuels) and turn to renewable energy sources, yet overall
emissions have increased. Today there are 7.7 billion people on the
planet -- twice as many as 50 years ago -- and more people means more
demand for power, especially in fast-growing countries such as India and
China. Last year saw a global acceleration of emissions, as total carbon
levels in the atmosphere reached 414.8 parts per million in May, the
highest recorded in 3 million years. The richer human society becomes,
it seems, the more we poison the world.

Climate change
Editorial: Why we wrote our series on climate change
At this point, the mission is no longer to avert or reverse climate
change, but to mitigate its worst effects (by continuing to reduce
emissions and slow warming) and to adapt to others. Adaptation might
mean retreating from coastal developments as the seas rise or elevating
roads and installing flooding pumps (as the city of Miami is already
doing), or creating carbon sinks to remove carbon dioxide from the
atmosphere, all while continuing to try to curtail further emissions.

None of this is cheap or easy, but neither is the alternative. 2017
ranks as the costliest year for severe weather events and climate
disasters worldwide; in the U.S. there was more than $300 billion in
cumulative damage, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration. Obviously, the cost of dealing with inundated coastal
areas -- home to as many as 650 million people, or 8% of the world's
population -- will be extraordinarily high. And that's only one of the
dangers on the horizon. We can expect people to be displaced by drought,
river flooding, hurricanes and typhoons. Parts of the world can expect
more food shortages, which some experts believe will lead in turn to
political instability, civil unrest and mass migration. The U.S.
military rightly refers to climate change as a “threat multiplier.”

Fighting the rise in temperature and sea levels will be tough. Our
democracy doesn't encourage politicians to take bold stances; our
economic system doesn't encourage companies to sacrifice profits for the
common good. And we humans are understandably disinclined to live
differently or to make sacrifices. But we must stop dawdling and forge
ahead if we are to protect ourselves and our planet.

This is Part 1 of a three-part series on climate change.
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-climate-change-crisis-global-warming-part-1-story.html

[news of more risk]
*“Biological Annihilation”: The Danger of Opening Alaska's ANWR to Oil &
Gas Drilling*
Published on Sep 16, 2019
Democracy Now!
The Trump administration is finalizing plans to open one of the world's
last pristine wilderness regions, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge,
to oil and fracked gas drilling. Trump is pushing the drilling at a time
when climate change is permanently altering the Arctic and devastating
local communities. The plan calls for the creation of landing strips,
drill pads, pipeline supports, a seawater treatment plant, 175 miles of
roads, and other infrastructure in Alaska's north coast. On Thursday,
the House of Representatives voted to block the Trump administration
from opening up Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge; however, a
companion bill is unlikely to pass the Republican-controlled Senate.
 From Charlotte, North Carolina, we speak with Subhankar Banerjee, a
professor of art and ecology at the University of New Mexico and the
author of “Arctic National Wildlife Refuge: Seasons of Life and Land.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSAExfMOsCI
#ClimateCrisis #DemocracyNow

Democracy Now! is an independent global news hour that airs on nearly
1,400 TV and radio stations Monday through Friday. Watch our livestream
8-9AM ET: https://democracynow.org

*This Day in Climate History - September 17, 2011 - from D.R. Tucker*
September 17, 2011:

    The Occupy Wall Street movement begins in New York City. Writer
    Naomi Klein would later credit OWS for prompting a delay of the
    Obama administration's final decision on the Keystone XL pipeline.

http://youtu.be/MJ8CoxnjjZg