[TheClimate.Vote] September 21, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Sep 21 11:16:34 EDT 2019

/September 21, 2019/

[click for the pictures]
*The climate strike in portraits: the signs, faces and reasons*
Photographer Bryan Thomas took portraits of the people participating in
the climate strike in New York Friday
Friday saw hundreds of thousands of young people take to the streets to
protest against climate change. In New York, the protests began at Foley
Square with the marchers eventually making their way to Battery Park. We
asked the photographer Bryan Thomas, who has covered the effects of
sea-level rise in his home state of Florida, to document the event and
he decided to set up a mini studio in the heart of the protests in
downtown New York and photograph and speak to the young people marching.
These are the results...
- -
What scares you most about climate change?
We are in a nightmare scenario right now. If we don't act fast, there
will be a lot of chaos and people suffering. I don't want us to have to
fight for our lives.

Why are you marching?
This is something that I've supported my whole life: preserving the
environment. A lot of young people who share this sentiment are now the
ones who will be seeing the effects of climate change. We are young. We
will have to live through this. We will have to live through natural
disasters and rising sea levels. It's already happened in Puerto Rico
and the Bahamas. Scientists have predicted this and there will be storms
coming...
- -
What scares you most about climate change?
The fact that the effects will be catastrophic and happen in our lifetime.

Why are you marching?
To be a part of this change. To be with other people, to get the word
going out. When you see other people that have the same mindset as
yourself, it will inspire you to impact people who aren't so aware...
- - -
What scares you most about climate change?
No matter how much we protest it, nothing ever gets done about it.
Someone might become vegan or start recycling, but you won't see a
company do something.

Why are you marching?
I'm taking a stand. If we don't get a critical mass, there won't be
anything done. It won't be taken seriously.
see more at -
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/21/the-climate-strike-in-portraits-the-signs-faces-and-reasons

[BBC summary]
*Climate protests: Marches worldwide against global warming*
Millions of people around the world held a global climate strike on
Friday, inspired by activist Greta Thunberg.

Protesters across continents waved placards and chanted slogans in what
could be the biggest ever demonstration over global warming caused by
humans.

"Our house is on fire", Ms Thunberg said at a rally. "We will not just
stand aside and watch."

The day began in the Pacific and Asia and culminated in a massive
demonstration in New York.
- - -
What happened on Friday?
Pacific island nations like Kiribati, the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu -
all threatened by rising sea levels - kicked off the strike. Posts
online showed citizens chanting: "We are not sinking, we are fighting."
- -
In Australia, 350,000 people are thought to have joined protests across
the country, with some local authorities encouraging school children and
workers to take part.

The country is already suffering from soaring temperatures, and warming
seas have contributed to the death of half the Great Barrier Reef off
Australia's north-east coast.

 From there, demonstrations spread to cities in Asia, Europe, Africa and
the Americas.

Students in Ghana marched in the capital Accra, saying climate change
has sped up coastal erosion which is affecting people on the country's
coast. About 44% of the population of Ghana have not heard of climate
change, one study by Afrobarometer suggests.

People in Thailand and India staged "die-ins", falling to the ground and
feigning death to demand greater government action.

As protests took place in 500 towns and cities across Germany, the
country's coalition government announced a €54bn (£48bn; $60bn) package
aimed at cutting greenhouse gases.

And in the UK, hundreds of thousands are believed to have taken part in
cities across all four countries.

Further climate strikes are expected next week during the UN summit.

What did Greta Thunberg say?
The teenage activist was greeted like a rockstar at the rally on Friday,
with chants of "Greta! Greta!" resounding around New York's Battery Park.

"This is the biggest climate strike ever in history, and we all should
be so proud of ourselves because we have done this together," the
teenager told demonstrators.

Ms Thunberg said about four million people took part in the strike
around the world, "and we're still counting."

"This is an emergency. Our house is on fire. And it's not just the young
people's house, we all live here - it affects all of us," she told the
crowd.

The teenager said about 4 million people are thought to have taken part
in the march, "and we're still counting"
Wherever she has gone in the world, she said, "the empty promises are
the same, the lies are the same and the inaction is the same".

The eyes of the world will be on leaders at the UN next week, and "they
have a chance to take leadership to prove they actually hear us".

"This is what people power looks like," she said, before ending the
speech with a word for those "who feel threatened by us".

"This is only the beginning," she said. "Change is coming whether they
like it or not."...
more at - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-49777279

[Democracy Now about the strike yesterday]*
**"Young People Have Had Enough": Global Climate Strike Youth Activists
on Why They Are Marching*
Published on Sep 20, 2019
Democracy Now!
Today is the Global Climate Strike, inspired by 16-year-old Swedish
activist Greta Thunberg. As people took to the streets in Africa, Asia,
Europe and Australia, we host a roundtable discussion with youth
activists organizing marches in the United States -- in New York City,
Washington, D.C., and Minneapolis -- ahead of next week's U.N. Climate
Action Summit. We are joined by Xiye Bastida, a 17-year-old climate
justice activist originally from Mexico who is an organizer with Fridays
for Future New York and a student at Beacon High School in New York;
Katie Eder, a 19-year-old climate justice activist who founded the
Future Coalition, where she is currently the executive director; Juwaria
Jama, a 15-year-old and first-generation Somali from Minneapolis,
Minnesota, who is with U.S. Youth Climate Strikes and is the co-state
lead for the Minnesota Youth Climate Strike; and Isra Hirsi, a high
school junior and executive director of the U.S. Youth Climate Strike,
daughter of Democratic Representative Ilhan Omar; Kelsey Juliana, lead
plaintiff in Juliana v. United States, the landmark youth climate
lawsuit against the U.S. government; Jerome Foster II, White House
Climate Strike organizer, founder and executive director of
OneMillionOfUs; and Nasratullah Elham, an Afghan high school student
studying in Phuket, Thailand whose visa to the United States was
rejected after being invited to the first-ever U.N. Youth Climate Summit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3reFtbiUXw

[easy]
SEPTEMBER 20, 2019
*Controlling methane is a fast and critical way to slow global warming,
say Princeton experts*
- -
What is one thing you wish more people understood about methane?

Denise Mauzerall: Controlling methane emissions is an effective way to
slow global warming. Because methane is very effective at trapping heat
and has a relatively short lifetime of about a decade before it oxidizes
to carbon dioxide, controlling its emissions is an effective way of
reducing the heat trapped in the atmosphere now. It thus is very
influential in determining how rapidly the planet warms.

Mark Zondlo: There is more methane in the atmosphere from human
activities than natural sources. Yes, there are natural sources of
methane such as wetlands--but anthropogenic [human] activities such as
agriculture and fossil fuel extraction and processing now dominate
methane emissions to the atmosphere...
more at -
https://phys.org/news/2019-09-methane-fast-critical-global-princeton.html

[get the facts]
*In media coverage of climate change, where are the facts?*
The New York Times makes a concerted effort to drive home the point that
climate change is real, but it does a poor job of presenting the basic
facts about climate change that could convince skeptics, according to a
review of the paper's coverage since 1980...
- - -
The image of the 5 facts
https://scx2.b-cdn.net/gfx/news/2019/inmediacover.jpg
- - -
"We chose The New York Times because it certainly has this reputation of
being excellent in covering environmental issues and climate change, and
I personally think it's one of the best," he said. "At the same time, I
had this feeling from having read stories on climate that they didn't
convey the basic facts to readers, and that that might be a problem."

They enlisted the help of a dozen undergraduate students to review New
York Times articles mentioning climate change that were published
between 1980 and 2018, in search of the key words employed when
mentioning five basic facts: the consensus, mechanism, longevity,
magnitude and immediacy of climate change.

They then searched for all articles that included these key words, and
Romps read each one to judge whether or not it mentioned these five facts.

"I don't think that everyone learning the basic facts I have outlined
here is a solution in itself. But I do believe it is a necessary
condition," he said. "We are not going to make the progress we need
until everyone from both political parties, from rural and urban areas,
from all states, accept the fact that global warming is happening, it is
caused by us, and that the solution is to stop burning fossil fuels.
These are the basic facts that climate scientists know, policy wonks
know, but somehow the broader public does not quite appreciate yet."

In addition to his efforts to better communicate the facts of climate
change, Romps hopes to set an example for those wanting to reduce their
carbon footprint. Last year, he refused to fly to an awards
presentation, and since January has not flown to any scientific
meetings--a big drop from his typical yearly air mileage topping 100,000
miles. He'd like to deliver scientific papers to colleagues via video
streaming, but this is not yet an accepted practice at annual meetings.

Nevertheless, he is heartened by younger people speaking out, and he
supports the Sept. 20 worldwide climate strike, including a UC Berkeley
rally at 11 a.m. in Sproul Plaza with talks by students and faculty.
While Romps that day will be teaching his undergraduate course on the
science of climate change, he plans to attend the rally and encourages
his students to do the same.

"Being a climate scientist can be a fairly depressing occupation," Romps
said. "But seeing young people stand up and make their voices heard is
really quite encouraging. There is hope. The youth have been heeding the
call, and we need grown-ups to start heeding the call, too."
https://phys.org/news/2019-09-media-coverage-climate-facts.html

[ghost from the past]
*1983: Al Gore talks Climate Change on PBS NOVA*
2 minute segment Published on Sep 20, 2019
greenmanbucket
2.08K subscribers
Came across this 36 year old interview with a young US Representative Al
Gore of Tennessee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3F4dOb0w10
- -
[Bob Inglis explains Al Gore and Republicans]
*Bob Inglis: My Oldest Son Came to Me about Climate*
Published on Sep 20, 2019
greenmanbucket
2.08K subscribers
Recorded at the Harvard School of Public Health. Full Interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4DB3eJJGnU

*This Day in Climate History - September 21, 1998 - from D.R. Tucker*
September 21, 1998: In an anecdote that explains the mainstream media's
skittishness about covering climate change, TIME's international editor,
Charles Alexander, is asked by the Wall Street Journal if TIME's "Heroes
for the Planet" series, which is sponsored by Ford, will cover
environmentalists critical of the automobile industry's role in
furthering climate change. Alexander responds that those
environmentalists won't be covered, noting, "We don't run airline ads
next to stories about airline crashes."
http://fair.org/extra-online-articles/fear-amp-favor-2000-the-first-annual-report/