[TheClimate.Vote] September 29, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Sep 29 09:40:21 EDT 2019

/September 29, 2019/

[data analysis of fired up voters]
*The young Climate Strikers marching this week are all fired up and
ready to vote.*
And if voting doesn't bring change, expect more confrontational tactics.
By Dana R. Fisher
September 28, 2019
Since 16-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg arrived by
solar-powered sailboat on Aug. 28, she has taken the U.S. by storm. She
and others in her "Fridays for Future" movement protested climate
inaction in front of the United Nations; marched by the White House;
testified in a joint congressional hearing on the climate crisis; and
shamed U.N. leaders in a moving speech at its Climate Action Summit.
Perhaps most notably, she and many other young people led the Sept. 20
Global Climate Strike, which mobilized millions of people worldwide in
street protests about the failure to reduce carbon emissions.

Who is involved in this youth climate movement? Are they simply
marching, or are they politically engaged more generally? Here's what I
found.

Here's how I did my research
I collected data from participants at the Climate Strike in Washington,
D.C. on Sept. 20. A 13-person research team (including me) snaked
through the crowd as they lined up at John Marshall Park before they
began marching, sampling every fifth person at designated increments to
gather a field approximation of a random sample. In total, we collected
data from 193 participants at the event, with a response rate of 79 percent.

What we found is consistent with my findings from earlier research on
the youth climate movement and on those with experience in what many
have called the "resistance": the broader movement that has been
challenging President Trump's administration and its polices since
January 2017. Participants in the Climate Strike were predominantly
female. The median age of the crowd was 22 years old. Three-quarters, or
76 percent, of the participants will be eligible to vote in the U.S.
2020 election. And their current levels of civic engagement strongly
suggests they will vote.

The U.N. Climate Summit has limits. But it's not the only game in town.

As part of this survey, we asked participants the following question:
"If the 2020 election were held today (no matter whether you are
eligible to vote), who would you vote for?" Forty-one percent supported
Elizabeth Warren, with by far the largest share. Bernie Sanders came in
second with 20 percent of the support. Joe Biden was a distant third
with 12 percent.

Most participants in the Climate Strike identified as being on the
political left, while 9 percent identified as politically moderate.
Interestingly, those who identified themselves as "Very Left" on the
political spectrum (24 percent of the crowd) also favored Warren (46
percent) over Sanders (33 percent).

These activists are significantly more engaged in a range of political
activities than the general American population: 46 percent reported
contacting an elected official in the past year; 46 percent attended a
public, town, or school meeting; and 44 percent engaged in consumer
activism by boycotting or deliberately buying a certain product for
political, ethical, or environmental reasons ("buycotting").

What Americans really think about California's auto emissions standards
-- and what could change their minds.

Many report having been involved with more confrontational forms of
political engagement as well. About a third of Climate Strikers, or 32
percent, reported participating in confrontational direct action in the
past year.

Given these levels of civic engagement and political experience, expect
these new voices to make themselves heard in the upcoming elections. If
the election's outcome is not what they hoped for, don't be surprised if
there's more climate action in the streets. Based on the direct action
we saw during ShutDownDC on Monday and Friday, as well as the other
civil disobedience that took place around the U.S. this past week, these
climate activists are willing to act.

And if peaceful protest and political participation do not work, they
still have other options.

Don't miss anything! Sign up to get TMC's smart analysis in your inbox,
three days a week.

Dana R. Fisher @Fisher_DanaR is a professor of sociology at the
University of Maryland who has been studying the youth climate movement
since spring 2019. Her new book American Resistance will be out from
Columbia University Press in November.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/09/28/young-climate-strikers-marching-this-week-are-all-fired-up-ready-vote/#comments-wrapper

[Disaster information]
*Helping Older Adults After Disasters: A Guide to Providing Support*
09/01/2019
Source: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
(SAMHSA). Published: 9/2019. This 19-page guide will help prepare
outreach staff for encounters with older adults by describing common
disaster reactions and providing tips and resources. Topics include
Disaster Recovery in Older Adulthood, Common Disaster Reactions and
Signs of the Need for More Help, Using Other Resources To Help Older
Adults After Disasters, and Managing Your Stress After a Disaster: Tips
for Older Adults. (PDF)