[TheClimate.Vote] April 18, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Apr 18 09:59:17 EDT 2020

/*April 18, 2020*/

[Announcing upcoming IPCC will meet via video]
*Virtual Lead Author Meeting for Working Group III*
Apr 17, 2020
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
More than 270 experts from 65 countries come together online for one
week to start preparing a second draft of the contribution for Working
Group III to the Sixth Assessment Report.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnylq5_ohWE

[Oil and virus]
*PANDEMIC CRISIS, SYSTEMIC DECLINE*
Why Exploiting the COVID-19 Crisis Will Not Save the Oil, Gas, and
Plastic Industries
https://www.ciel.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Pandemic-Crisis-Systemic-Decline-April-2020.pdf

[Sadness of it all - audio Science Friday]
*You Aren't Alone In Grieving The Climate Crisis*
As the consequences of unchecked climate change come into sharper
focus--wildfires in the Amazon and Australia, rising seas in low-lying
Pacific Islands, mass coral bleaching around the world--what is to be
done about the emotional devastation that people feel as a result?

In 2007, Australian eco-philosopher Glenn Albrecht described this
feeling as homesickness "for a home that no longer exists," which he
called "solastalgia." Others have settled on terms like "climate grief,"
or, since environmental devastation can come without a changing climate,
simply "ecological grief."

For this chapter of *Degrees of Change*, Ira talks about adapting
emotionally to climate change. First, he speaks with psychologist Renee
Lertzman and public health geographer Ashlee Cunsolo about their
research on the phenomenon of grief tied to environmental loss, and what
they've learned about how people can adapt their grief into actions that
can make a difference. Then, climate researcher Kate Marvel and essayist
Mary Annaïse Heglar share their experiences simultaneously working on
climate change, and grieving it...
Daniela Molnar, artist. Read an article in the LA Times about her
journey with climate grief and documenting it through art:

    "Grief is very close to love. And if you allow yourself to feel
    grief, then you can--we feel grief because we feel love. And I think
    the two sort of interchange throughout the process. So I wouldn't
    say that I've worked through it and I'm out the other end and I
    don't feel grief. It's an ongoing thing that I think that I will
    always be in, frankly. But the kind of grief that stops you and
    disallows forward momentum, and sort of contracts any other
    awareness of the world--I have moved through that.

*Something You Can Do If You Are Feeling Climate Grief *
1. Acknowledge and accept what you are feeling, says psychologist Renee
Lertzman. Bring "kind, compassionate attention" to your own feelings.
Seek out others who may feel the same way. Talk to them about it. Know
that you're not alone. Listen to others, and let your relationships
support you.
2. If you feel overwhelmed by anxiety, grief, fear, and other worries
about climate change, look for a mental health professional or therapy
group you can talk with.
3. Look for things you can do about climate change itself. For example,
you don't have to be a scientist to advocate for reducing fossil fuel
emissions, or to lobby for a more equitable approach to environmental
justice.
4. Finally, if you're still feeling stuck, there are online resources
for working through climate grief. Mary Annaise Heglar has a care
package for you; the Good Grief Network has a manual for helping build
resilience, both personally and in your community, plus other resources;
and the Climate Psychology Alliance invites both mental health
professionals and others to come together in conversations about the
psychological impacts of climate change
https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/climate-crisis-grief/

[Important study by Brulle]
*Networks of Opposition: A Structural Analysis of U.S. Climate Change
Countermovement Coalitions 1989–2015*
Robert J. Brulle
First published:21 October 2019
https://doi.org/10.1111/soin.12333Citations: 3
This article was supported by National Science Foundation Sociology
Program Grant #1558207
"The Role of Information and Influence Campaigns in Structuring

    *Abstract*
    The climate change countermovement (CCCM) in the United States has
    exerted an important influence on delaying efforts to address
    climate change. Analyses of this countermovement have primarily
    focused on the role of conservative think tanks. Expanding this
    research, this article initiates an examination of the structure of
    key political coalitions that worked to oppose climate action. In
    conjunction with their allied trade associations, these coalitions
    have served as a central coordination mechanism in efforts opposed
    to mandatory limits on carbon emissions. These coalitions pool
    resources from a large number of corporations and execute
    sophisticated political and cultural campaigns designed to oppose
    efforts to address climate change. Through an analysis of twelve
    prominent CCCM coalitions from 1989 to 2015, I show that over 2,000
    organizations were members of these coalitions and that a core of
    179 organizations belonged to multiple coalitions. Organizations
    from the coal and electrical utility sectors were the most numerous
    and influential organizations in these coalitions. The article
    concludes with suggestions for further research to expand
    understanding of complex social movements and countermovements.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/soin.12333

[radical speech commanding attention]
*Collapse Chat--Banality, Good, and Evil--Divide & conquer, Earth Strke,
and Stratfor--Ashes Ashes #89*
Apr 13, 2020
Stop Fossil Fuels researches and disseminates effective strategies and
tactics to halt fossil fuel combustion as fast as possible.
Learn more at https://stopfossilfuels.org
Corporate Wars and Activists
https://youtu.be/2NME_rTu21A?t=2845
- -
[radical group promotes action - brazen]
*STOP FOSSIL FUELS*
Why stop fossil fuels?
Our future: wasteland or life?
Climate change is wreaking devastation now, and will get much worse. The
idea of a "carbon budget" for the coming decades is delusional; we're
already deep in carbon debt.
Fossil fuel pollution and climate disruption kill humans: more than 6
million annually, and climbing rapidly.
We are in the midst of global ecological collapse, caused and enabled by
fossil fuels. Forests, prairies, oceans, and the very web of life are in
critical condition.
Our work is Sisyphean. For each step forward, climate disruption and the
industrial economy push us 10 steps back. Whether your passion is an
ecological community, an endangered species, or future generations, we
must stop fossil fuels to defend those you love.
The environmental movement has worked for decades towards mass
awakening, yet nearly everything keeps getting worse. We can't rely on
hope that this pattern will suddenly change.
Renewable energy is growing at unprecendented rates, but isn't slowing
the much faster growth of fossil fuel burn. Green tech is not a solution.
Paradoxically, energy efficiency increases fossil fuel use. Getting more
bang for the buck increases incentive to use resources.
Governments have yet to take meaningful action to reduce fossil fuel
use, and give no indication that they ever will.
Fossil fuels are finite resources, so their use will inevitably decline.
But peak oil won't reduce carbon emissions fast enough.
Fossil fuels bring comforts and elegancies to a minority, but at great
cost to everyone. Life will be better in a post carbon world.
Human population is already in overshoot, and growing. Meanwhile, our
impact on global ecology decreases world carrying capacity every day. A
crash is inevitable. The sooner we put on the brakes, the gentler the
transition...
more at - https://stopfossilfuels.org/

*On this day in the history of global warming  - April 18, 1977 *

President Carter declares that the effort needed to avert an energy
crisis is the "moral equivalent of war."
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=7369