[TheClimate.Vote] April 24, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Apr 24 08:39:21 EDT 2020

/*April 24, 2020*/

[Politico Magazine]
*What Covid Is Exposing About the Climate Movement*
The "it's not you" approach might be good politics, but the Covid
epidemic is showing it's also wrong.
Fifty years ago, 20 million Americans took to the streets for the first
Earth Day, voting with their feet against the degradation of the planet.
Pogo cartoonist Walt Kelly captured the moment with his legendary
anti-pollution poster: "We have met the enemy and he is us."...
- -
The good news, or at least the empowering news, is that the fewer
greenhouse gases we emit, the fewer awful things will happen. And the
more people adopt a personal ethic of climate responsibility, the more
pressure our leaders will feel to embrace that ethic. While the virus
has momentarily flattened the emissions curve, bending it permanently
will require individual and systemic change.

The clean skies over Los Angeles are a reminder that pollution, like
social distancing, is a choice, and that individuals can make it better
or worse. The virus has taught us that in an emergency, we can change
our behaviors in ways we never imagined possible--not just by
telecommuting and forgoing business travel (new climate-friendly habits
that will hopefully continue after the pandemic) but by uprooting our
lives to save others.

But when we're told it doesn't matter whether we change our behavior,
why should we believe climate is an emergency? So far, the people of the
world have mostly managed, with notable exceptions and glitches, to come
together to fight the common enemy of the coronavirus. It's much more
complicated to fight the enemy when the enemy is us.

Still, the enduring lesson of Earth Day is that while governments and
corporations rise and fall, we will always have just one planetary home.
And nobody else will clean it up for us.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/21/earth-day-individual-climate-impact-198835

[Climate refugee analysis]
*Climate change, migration and the coronavirus pandemic*
Apr 16, 2020
Climate & Migration Coalition
Roughly 15 million people are displaced every year by climate and
weather related disasters. This year much of that displacement will take
place against the backdrop of a pandemic. This talk explores how the
coronavirus pandemic collides with current patterns of climate-linked
migration and displacement, and what this new situation means for the
people most at risk. The session will explore locations that are
particularly at risk, and examine the contexts in which these global
crises coverage.
Presenter - Alex Randall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XI0CvEHsfQ&feature=youtu.be

[Journalism ponders the news]
*COVID-19 Has Lessons for Journalists Covering the Climate Crisis*
Mark Hertsgaard and Kyle Pope
APRIL 20, 2020
THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC is a tragic reminder of just how essential
fact-based, outspoken journalism is, especially in times of crisis.
Without it, people die. In China, the lack of an independent press made
it easier for the government to hide the danger of the virus, putting
many more people, especially healthcare workers, at risk. In the United
States, Donald Trump likewise downplayed the threat, calling it a
"hoax," but faced pushback from much of the media. By highlighting what
science and medical experts say, rather than the fake controversies
around it, such reporting is helping to push the US death toll lower
than it otherwise would be.

Now it's time for the same journalistic rigor and urgency around the
other great crisis of our time. The overlaps between the coronavirus
crisis and the climate crisis are many, and the same best practices when
it comes to reporting are needed. Here, too, newsrooms must let facts,
especially scientific facts, be our guide. We must stand up to the
powerful, remembering that journalists work for the public, not for
governments. We must report with compassion, candor, and courage, not
only chronicling the ongoing devastation, as important as that is, but
also illuminating credible remedies and reasons for hope.

Toward that end, the global journalistic collaboration Covering Climate
Now, founded a year ago by CJR and The Nation, has launched a week of
coverage coinciding with the fiftieth anniversary of Earth Day and
focusing on climate solutions. Comprising more than four hundred TV,
radio, wire-service, and digital and print news outlets with a combined
audience approaching two billion people, Covering Climate Now organized
a similar week of joint coverage in September around the UN Climate
Action Summit that helped drive a massive increase in overall media
coverage of climate change.

Going ahead with this week of climate solutions coverage even as the
coronavirus continues to ravage communities around the world is not an
easy call. We know from conversations with colleagues throughout the
media that most newsrooms are already working overtime to cover this
pandemic, and that audiences crave that in-depth, 24-7 coverage.

Nevertheless, there is an opportunity for all of us here. As awful as
the coronavirus is, it is something of a test run for the challenges of
a climate crisis that continues to accelerate. Our job, as journalists,
is to extract lessons from the covid-19 crisis that we can apply to
covering the climate crisis. It is, as author and activist Bill McKibben
recently wrote in The New Yorker, a daunting task. "The edifice [of
contemporary society] seems so shiny and substantial, a world of silver
jets stitching together cities of towering skyscrapers, a globe of
soaring markets and smartphone connectivity," McKibben wrote. "But a
couple of months into this disease and it's all tottering…"
- -
It is notable, and encouraging, that even as people understandably
obsess about the coronavirus, they remain interested in climate stories.
The similarities between the causes of and solutions to the coronavirus
and the climate crisis are nothing short of eerie. In both cases, it is
imperative to respect science, intervene early to flatten the curve, and
prepare for impacts that can't be avoided. The coronavirus shows what
horrors can result when governments, often abetted by propaganda organs
masquerading as news organizations, scorn science, shun early action,
and fail to fortify their societies against the predicted results. It is
precisely now, in this moment of rawness around the coronavirus, that we
can most ably draw lessons to help us do better against the onrushing
climate crisis.It is notable, and encouraging, that even as people
understandably obsess about the coronavirus, they remain interested in
climate stories. "We've found that there is an audience; a lot of people
want to hear about climate change," Justin Worland, the climate
correspondent for Time, said during a "Talking Shop" conference
organized by Covering Climate Now on April 16.

So during this week of Earth Day's fiftieth anniversary, look for an
abundance of first-class reporting and analysis of climate solutions by
the news outlets of Covering Climate Now. We define solutions broadly,
to include not only technical fixes such as solar panels and seawalls
but also policy reforms such as pricing carbon and ending fossil fuel
subsidies as well as civic actions to advance these reforms, including
voting, protesting, and, yes, better journalism. To reach the broadest
possible audience, some of Covering Climate Now's partners--including
The Guardian, Reuters, CBS News, WNYC public radio, HuffPost, the Asahi
Shimbun, and CJR--will make their coverage available free of charge for
all partners to republish or rebroadcast.

We are also excited that on Earth Day itself, this Wednesday, a number
of the biggest names in news will announce that they are joining
Covering Climate Now, expanding our collaboration's reach and ability to
keep the climate story at the top of the public agenda.

Optimism does not come easy at this moment in our history. But we can
draw hope from the fact that we can learn from the coronavirus crisis,
and that it can provide a road map for stories that will matter about
the climate crisis and, crucially, its solutions.

Mark Hertsgaard and Kyle Pope are the authors. Mark Hertsgaard is the
executive director of Covering Climate Now, the environment
correspondent for The Nation, and the author of HOT: Living Through the
Next Fifty Years on Earth. Kyle Pope is the editor and publisher of
Columbia Journalism Review.
https://www.cjr.org/covering_climate_now/covid-19-pandemic-cimate-crisis.php

[Interview with Margaret Klein Salamon]
*Anxiety and the Flight to Safe Living*
Margaret Klein Salamon interviewed on Radio Ecoshock - her new book
Did you feel a sense of dread about the way things were going, even
before the Corona virus pandemic? Five years ago when clinical
psychologist Margaret Klein Salamon claimed a climate emergency she was
called alarmist and extreme. Now cities and countries all over the world
call a climate emergency. Margaret has a new book on how to overcome
eco-anxiety. Forget the year 2100 - new science shows ocean systems
begin to die off during this decade, with land ecology soon after. Dr.
Alex Pigot joins from London to explain this major paper published in
the journal Nature...
- - -
Margaret warns "my goal is not to make you happy, and it's certainly not
to help you avoid pain. This is not about feeling good or finding
satisfaction". That sounds strange coming from a clinical psychoanalyst.
But it is real and true, given our current predicament.

Here is the kind of hard truth you can expect from Margaret. She writes:

"Suicides are up - at their highest point in 50 years - and are now the
second leading cause of death for Americans under age 35. One in six
Americans takes psychiatric medication, primarily for depression and
anxiety. Opioids kill more Americans than car crashes. Virtually all of
us resort to something fro numbing and distraction: We watch 33 hours of
TV a week, scroll endlessly on social media, play video games, and watch
pornography. We drink too much, eat too much, work too much, compete too
much, and buy too much. simply put, Americans - and people all over the
world, are in pain."

"We are in pain because our world is dying and, through our passivity,
we are responsible for killing it."

"This pain has several dimensions. It is the fear we feel for ourselves
for our loved ones, and for all humanity; it is the empathy and grief we
feel for the people and species already immiserated or killed; it is the
crushing guilt that we feel for continuing to let this happen. Our pain
is the consequence of our participation in a destructive system. But we
are not merely victims. Through our participation in this system through
our passivity, we are also perpetrators."

Many years ago I read the work of psychoanalyst and antinuclear activist
Erich Fromm. We talk about his view of what Sigmund Freud, the founder
of psychology, called "the death instinct" and how that applies to
climate anxiety.

In her new book "Facing the Climate Emergency", Margaret gives the
example of being at work when a fire alarm goes off. We don't see any
fire or smell the smoke. Is it real or a false alarm? Our action may
depend on how others react. Climate change can be here among us before
we experience all the symptoms. That sounds so like COVID-19.

The story in Klein Salamon's new book about her Grandmother's life-long
distrust of people due to experiences in Germany during the Holocaust -
rang a bell for our times now. The Grandmother was aghast that ordinary
Germans went to work and beer halls while their Jewish neighbors were
hauled away. I found an similar eerie feeling watching big crowds gather
at sports events and churches even as the pandemic was obviously coming
ashore. The same for all those useless cruise ships each emitting as
much greenhouse gas as a million cars, while climate wrecks living
systems around the world. People will cling to normal even when the
whirlwind is blowing things down. How can we let go and start anew with
reality?...
download https://www.ecoshock.net/downloads/ES_Salamon.mp3
*HANDLING ECO-ANXIETY - MARGARET KLEIN SALAMON*
Last week while people huddled in their homes to slow the pandemic, a
string of strange and strong tornadoes struck the American South and
wild storms knocked out power to about a million people in the
Northeast. Extreme weather, hot oceans and the coming heat waves tell us
climate change has not self-isolated to fit the times. Now we have
double anxiety, where even the safe and dependable are suspect. We are
literally out of touch with people we love. How can we grow out of that?
Margaret Klein Salamon was a clinical psychologist in New York City.
Then Hurricane Sandy struck. Life was not the same, and Margaret's
journey took a big turn toward facing the climate threat.

In June of 2015 I interviewed Margaret about The Climate Mobilization
movement she organized. Since then cities and countries over the world
have declared a climate emergency.
https://www.ecoshock.org/2020/04/anxiety-and-the-flight-to-safe-living.html
- -
Find her new book "Facing the Climate Emergency - How to Transform
Yourself with Climate Truth" at New Society publishers, or anywhere
books are sold online.
- -
[the book]
*Facing the Climate Emergency*
How to Transform Yourself with Climate Truth
by Margaret Klein Salamon and Molly Gage
As the climate crisis accelerates toward the collapse of civilization
and the natural world, people everywhere are feeling deep pain about
ecological destruction and their role in it. Yet we are often paralyzed
by fear.

Help is at hand. Facing the Climate Emergency gives people the tools to
confront the climate emergency, face their negative emotions, and
channel them into protecting humanity and the natural world.

Drawing on facts about the climate, tenets of psychological theory,
information about the climate emergency movement and elements of memoir,
coverage includes:

How to face the climate crisis and accept your fears, anger, grief,
guilt, and other emotions
Turning negative feelings into tangible action to respond to the crisis
Rising to heroism, becoming a "climate warrior," and maximizing your
impact by joining the Climate Emergency Movement
Support material, including further reading, questions for
self-reflection, and exercises to complete with like-minded groups
Written for the suffering multitudes struggling to cope and looking for
answers, Facing the Climate Emergency provides the motivation, guidance,
and support needed to leave "normal" behind and travel the path of the
climate warrior, rising to the challenge of our time.

About the Authors
Margaret Klein Salamon, PhD, is a clinical psychologist turned climate
warrior and founder of The Climate Mobilization, which pioneered the
internationally recognized Climate Emergency Declaration campaign. She
lives in Brooklyn, NY.

Molly Gage, PhD, is a book developer committed to women-authored
nonfiction books that push forward progressive ideas and elevate the
voices of the women who think them.
Click here to search for all books from this author.
https://newsociety.com/books/f/facing-the-climate-emergency

*On this day in the history of global warming  - April 24, 2004 *

In one of the strangest weekly radio addresses ever recorded, President
George W. Bush tries to put a positive spin on his administration's
environmental record.
http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2004/04/20040424.html
http://www.c-span.org/video/?181525-1/PresidentialRadioAddress419