[TheClimate.Vote] April 28, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Apr 28 10:29:46 EDT 2020

/*April 28, 2020*/

[from the Nib - a distilled message]
*The Pandemic to Come*
by Maria Stoian
POSTED ON APRIL 27, 2020
The response to COVID-19 is a preview of how we’ll react to climate
catastrophe.
https://thenib.com/covid-19-climate-change/

[near future]
*Meteorologists say 2020 on course to be hottest year since records began*
Global lockdowns have lowered emissions but longer-term changes needed,
say scientists
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/27/meteorologists-say-2020-on-course-to-be-hottest-year-since-records-began

[Podcast - Joe Biden's warm-up chat about climate with Jay Inslee]
*On Climate Change with Governor Jay Inslee*
Here’s the Deal
Politics
On this special Earth Day episode, Governor Jay Inslee joins former Vice
President Joe Biden for a discussion on COVID-19, climate change, and
why he's endorsing Joe.Episode Guide:0:46 Governor Inslee Joins the Show
2:40 Coronavirus Response in...
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/on-climate-change-with-governor-jay-inslee/id1505238447?i=1000472332555
[slower means harder]
*Hurricanes Could Be Slowing Down Due to Rising CO2 Levels, And That's
Not a Good Thing*
DAVID NIELD26 APRIL 2020
Scientists are warning that an increase in global warming could
significantly slow down hurricanes, potentially leading to more destruction.

While slowing down might sound like a good thing, the researchers are
talking about the speed hurricanes progress, not wind speed. So this
slow down means more time to carve out a trail of destruction with both
wind and rain when they hit land.
https://www.sciencealert.com/hurricanes-are-slowing-down-because-of-co2-giving-them-more-time-to-wreak-havoc
- -
[source data]
*Tropical cyclone motion in a changing climate*
Science Advances  22 Apr 2020:
Vol. 6, no. 17, eaaz7610
DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.aaz7610
Abstract

    The locally accumulated damage by tropical cyclones (TCs) can
    intensify substantially when these cyclones move more slowly. While
    some observational evidence suggests that TC motion might have
    slowed significantly since the mid-20th century, the robustness of
    the observed trend and its relation to anthropogenic warming have
    not been firmly established. Using large-ensemble simulations that
    directly simulate TC activity, we show that future anthropogenic
    warming can lead to a robust slowing of TC motion, particularly in
    the midlatitudes. The slowdown there is related to a poleward shift
    of the midlatitude westerlies, which has been projected by various
    climate models. Although the model’s simulation of historical TC
    motion trends suggests that the attribution of the observed trends
    of TC motion to anthropogenic forcings remains uncertain, our
    findings suggest that 21st-century anthropogenic warming could
    decelerate TC motion near populated midlatitude regions in Asia and
    North America, potentially compounding future TC-related damages.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/17/eaaz7610

[Michael Moore bad move - bad movie]
*Planet of the Humans Comes This Close to Actually Getting the Real
Problem, Then Goes Full Ecofascism*
https://earther.gizmodo.com/planet-of-the-humans-comes-this-close-to-actually-getti-1843024329
- - -
*Skepticism Is Healthy, but Planet of the Humans Is Toxic - A Critical
Review*
https://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/skepticism-is-healthy-but-planet-of-the-humans-is-toxic/
--
[why misinformation?]
*Michael Moore produced a film about climate change that’s a gift to Big

[from May 2019]
*Jared Diamond: There’s a 49 Percent Chance the World As We Know It Will
End by 2050*
By David Wallace-Wells
Jared Diamond’s new book, Upheaval,...
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/05/jared-diamond-on-his-new-book-upheaval.html

- -

[TheWeek - doom and redemption]
*Is there a limit to optimism when it comes to climate change?*
Fiacha Heneghan
"We're doomed": a common refrain in casual conversation about climate
change. It signals an awareness that we cannot, strictly speaking, avert
climate change. It is already here. All we can hope for is to minimize
climate change by keeping global average temperature changes to less
than 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels in order to avoid rending
consequences to global civilization. It is still physically possible,
says the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in a 2018 special
report — but "realizing 1.5°C-consistent pathways would require rapid
and systemic changes on unprecedented scales."...
- -
Suppose the baleful trends continue, that is, that our windows for
action continue to shrink, if the scale of change required continues to
grow unfeasibly large as we continue to wantonly pump CO2 into the
atmosphere. Should we expect a shift from climate consequentialism to
climate Kantianism? Will climate consequentialists start tacking on that
small but significant qualifier, "even if it's hopeless," to their
recommendations? The disagreements between consequentialists and
Kantians extend beyond their metaethical intuitions to their pragmatic
ones. The consequentialist harbors a suspicion about the efficacy of
specifically moral exhortation. This suspicion is the wellspring of a
popular criticism of Kant's ethics, namely, that it rests on the
Pollyannaish assumption that we mortals have a capacity for
disinterested moral action.

Kant takes the concern seriously. The theme of moral motivation recurs
across his writings, but he comes to the opposite conclusion from his
critics. Many, he thinks, will rise to the occasion when their moral
obligations are presented to them starkly and without appeal to their
self-interest. "No idea," he argues in his Groundwork of the Metaphysics
of Morals, "so elevates the human mind and animates it even to
inspiration as that of a pure moral disposition, revering duty above all
else, struggling with the countless ills of life and even with its most
seductive allurements and yet overcoming them."

Perhaps at the moment we still have the luxury of being strategic about
our messaging. It is not yet clear that the worst will come to pass, and
that we cannot, where plausible and effective, emphasize the potential
upsides of mitigation. Besides that, different messaging strategies
might be more or less effective on different people. But if the
pessimist one day becomes too persuasive to ignore, it behooves us to
have one more card to play in our pockets. Moral exhortation, the
Kantian argues, is an insurance policy against fatalism. It is our
reason for doing the right thing even in the face of doom, when all
other reasons fail. But let us hope they do not.
https://theweek.com/articles/909256/there-limit-optimism-when-comes-climate-change

[One more thought]
*Richard Dawkins' horrifying analysis of humanity’s survival instincts
exposed*
RICHARD DAWKINS - the scientist and prominent atheist - revealed how
humans and the way their attention has been diverted by the modern world
means they are no longer apt for animal-like survival.
By JOEL DAY - Apr 27, 2020
https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1274336/richard-dawkins-science-evolution-humanity-extinction-atheism-biology-spt

*On this day in the history of global warming  - April 28, 2010 *
The New York Times reports on the "epistemic closure"
phenomenon on the right (also known as "the dumbing down of the
American conservative movement"); the piece makes note of recent
right-wing attacks on National Review writer Jim Manzi after he
pointed out flaws in the climate-change section of talk-radio host
Mark Levin's 2009 book "Liberty and Tyranny."
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/books/28conserv.html?_r=0