[TheClimate.Vote] August 4, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Aug 4 09:38:45 EDT 2020

/*August  4, 2020*/

[up 28%]
*Amazon region: Brazil records big increase in fires*
[See the video too]
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53626544

[TIME Magazine declares:]
*It's Time for American Leaders to Wake Up to the Threat of Climate
Change for the Good of the Planet and Business*
BY JOHN R. KASICH - AUGUST 3, 2020
Kasich was the governor of Ohio from 2011 to 2019.
The coronavirus pandemic has worn out its welcome on Earth. Just try and
find someone who's not sick and tired of working from the basement,
wearing a mask, bumping elbows in greeting or simply living with the
worry of themselves or their family getting sick. And these
inconveniences pale in comparison to the pain many have suffered from
sickness or the loss of loved ones.

If we could have seen the pandemic coming and had the power to prevent
it, of course, we would have. If we had that power but sat on our hands
as millions became sick and died, that inaction would be unforgivable.

There is another problem that we know is coming, that we have the power
to address, and yet which we continually do too little--or often
nothing--to tackle. I'm talking about climate change.

Left unchecked, the impact of climate change will only further alter our
world as we know it--reshaping our coastlines and the cities that sit on
them, accelerating species extinction, devastating agriculture and
causing famine, ravaging our economy and impacting everyone's health.
Though often regarded as a hot potato in politics, one of the biggest
points of opposition to addressing climate change is the cost. How can a
world whose transportation and energy systems are so heavily rooted in
burning hydrocarbons afford to scrap them and shift to other, cleaner
forms of energy?

I approach it from the other direction, however: how can we afford not to?

Yes, the looming cost to human life and the natural world are paramount
and merit immediate and sustained commitment to long-term action. For
those who also worry about the economics of tackling climate change,
consider this: Goldman Sachs recently estimated that there is $16
trillion to be made in just the next 10 years from new investments in
renewable energy. Furthermore, if the United States committed to help
keep global warming within 2 degrees Celsius, this would create between
$1 trillion and $2 trillion in yearly investments in renewable energy.

At a time when the global pandemic has dealt a mighty blow to the
world's economy, those kinds of numbers should be music to our ears. Why
would we not embrace the enormous economic benefits and job creation of
investing in next generation transportation and renewable energy systems?

As a Republican governor of the 7th largest state and a top-25 global
economy, I was proud to champion energy and environmental policies that
helped Ohio reduce its carbon emissions by almost 30 percent between
2005 and 2014--all while achieving strong job creation and still
managing major new investments in natural gas from shale with
regulations that surpassed the federal government's.

Our approach was balanced, reasonable and productive, with a focus on
encouraging energy investments while also protecting public health and
the environment--and preserving the Ohio's renewable energy standard.
Thanks to the state's support for renewable energy, thousands of new
jobs were created by companies like Amazon and Facebook which, like many
tech companies, are committed to renewable energy use.

The time has come for people who understand the need to be good stewards
of our environment--and who can appreciate the value of a global
economic boost--to roll up their sleeves and push for the switch to
renewable energy and clean transportation. Traditional renewable energy
sources like solar and wind have stood the test of time and merit
greater investment and deployment. Clean natural gas can be the bridge
as we ramp up more renewables and make the final break from
carbon-intensive fuels. We also need to support research into new green
energy technologies and bring these to market.

I joined with former Secretary of State John Kerry and former California
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger behind an effort called "World War Zero"
to help bring together a group of unlikely allies - Democrats,
Republicans and independents, scientists, military leaders, business
leaders, diplomats, entertainers, and ordinary people from all walks of
life - to mobilize, speak up, and tackle climate change together. And to
find new ways of helping people appreciate the need to address the problem.

Seeing the economic benefits of renewable energy investments at a time
of a global recession might not be an angle that first comes to mind.
But tough problems merit different approaches and demand that we take
advantage of the opportunities when they arise--like now.

Just like America's shift to a wartime footing in the 1940s helped end
the Great Depression, the manufacturing revolution and global job
creation that would be ushered in by the transition to a clean energy
economy could deal critical blows to two dragons at once: climate change
and the economic downturn. Let your voice be heard and make clear to
those who lead that we cannot waste this opportunity.
https://time.com/5873394/take-climate-change-seriously-business/

[political adjustments]
*With big rallies cancelled, young climate activists are adapting
election tactics*
Phone banks, social media and friend-to-friend campaigning are the new
focus ahead of this year's US elections

or young climate activists in the US, staying home because of the
pandemic does not mean staying silent, with plans gathering pace across
the country to make their voices heard in November's elections.

It has been nearly a year since an estimated 6 million people across the
world joined the youth-led global climate strikes on 20 September.

In the US, students from Los Angeles to Washington DC skipped school to
voice their frustration over the slow response to the climate crisis by
elected leaders, and Greta Thunberg told a cheering crowd in New York
City "this is only the beginning".

But in the 10 months since the historic protests, the Covid-19 pandemic
has ravaged the US, making meeting and organizing in-person hazardous.
Climate strikes, including a major three-day mass protest that was
planned for Earth Day 2020 in April, have been cancelled...
- -
But networks of youth climate activists have been regrouping, with a new
focus on election campaigning with phone banks, social media and
friend-to-friend organizing, according to interviews with organizers...
- -
"We are a generation that was really born into crises," said
Jimenez-Hudis. "We don't have some golden age that we can look back on
and feel that there is any kind of resonance with a call to normalcy
because our normal has always been endless wars, has always been police
brutality."

Youth voter turnout during the 2016 elections was disappointing with
just 46% of eligible voters aged 18 to 29 going out to vote, compared to
70% of the oldest voters, 70 and over.

Then in the wake of Donald Trump's election, youth movements began
building campaigns and gaining visibility, with climate change growing
as a key issue, driven in part by the burgeoning Sunrise Movement, which
was founded in 2017.

In preparation for the 2018 midterm elections, the Sunrise Movement
began training young activists to canvass for candidates who were
proponents of renewable energy and publicly confront incumbents who take
money from the fossil fuel industry. When the 2018 midterms came around,
20% more young Americans ages 18 to 29 went out to vote compared to the
last midterms in 2014, and Democrats won the House.

The group has more recently been pushing Democratic leaders to embrace
the Green New Deal, a bold carbon-neutral plan for the economy
championed by progressive Democrats including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

Backing the policy was initially seen as too radical by many Democrats
but it has now been embraced more widely by members of the party. Joe
Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, recently
unveiled a climate and jobs plan that mirrors some of the aggressiveness
of the Green New Deal, though some activists believe he is not tough
enough on fossil fuel industries.

With the pandemic, Jimenez-Hudis said, the Sunrise Movement has shifted
its electoral strategy to focus entirely on phone banking and
friend-to-friend organizing - encouraging people to talk to their
friends and relatives directly about the candidates they support.

"We still have lots of work to do to make sure that we get the right
Democrats on the ballot, the right Green New Deal champions on the
ballot for the election in November just up and down the ticket,"
Jimenez-Hudis said.

The organization credits its phone banking volunteers for helping Jamaal
Bowman, a former teacher who ousted a longtime congressman in New York,
win his election and for tightening the race of Charles Booker, a
Democrat in Kentucky who was hoping to run against the Republican
senator Mitch McConnell.

Aligning racial justice and climate fights
In the wake of the police killing of George Floyd in May, the Sunrise
Movement has also made efforts to streamline its focus toward racism and
police brutality, encouraging members to attend protests and speak out
about the intersection of racial justice and climate activism. The
organization recently started its #WideAwake campaign, encouraging local
activists to protest outside the homes of elected officials. On
Juneteenth, a local Sunrise chapter coordinated such a protest outside
the home of Senator McConnell, demanding justice for Breonna Taylor, who
was shot and killed in her home by police in Louisville, Kentucky.

Recent months have helped some young climate activists see that the same
systemic changes needed to address climate change are in line with the
ones that will bring racial justice, escalating the need for elected
officials who will bring those changes.

Rose Strauss, 20, a former organizer with the Sunrise Movement, said her
time with the organization helped her understand the gravity of the 2020
election. She dropped out of college so she could dedicate all her time
to the election and canvass for Senator Bernie Sanders in New Hampshire.

Once it became clear that Sanders was not going to win the nomination,
Strauss and a few fellow activists began to dedicate their efforts to
starting a new initiative called the Down Ballot Disruption Project. The
program, held entirely over Zoom, aims to teach young people how to
canvass for candidates in their local elections and how to build a
community around their activism, especially on social media.

Young people can "change this election in massive ways. The only arena
right now, because we can't go and canvass outside, is social media.
That's where we know how to do stuff," Strauss said. "We really need to
make sure that the politicians who get elected this cycle are going to
be the ones that are really caring about our futures."...
- -
"We want climate change to be a top priority on people's minds when
they're going to the polls in November because of the way it will impact
people of color and people living in those cities," said Zanagee Artis,
20, the co-founder and deputy director of digital advocacy for Zero Hour.

While climate advocacy during the pandemic has largely been on video
chats and social media, young activists are eager to get back on the
streets. Fridays for Future, the global organization founded by Greta
Thunberg, plans on holding a global climate strike on 25 September.
Local chapters are working on what the protest will look like in their
areas to accommodate local Covid-19 conditions.

Spencer Berg, 17, an organizer with Fridays for Future NYC, said
organizers are still working out the logistics of what the protest will
look like, but the overall message of the demonstration will be to
advocate for a "green recovery" and ensure that New York City continues
to uphold its commitments to fighting climate change.

While the pandemic has left devastation across the city and in many
other places in the US, activists are hopeful that coronavirus can
provide parallels to climate change and show how a single crisis can
affect everyone.

Coronavirus has "inspired a lot of people because it has shown us that
the government can act quickly and efficiently to quell a crisis", Berg
said. "That's what this is: it's a climate crisis. A lot of politicians
say we can't afford to do that, we don't have enough time for this, but
coronavirus showed us that we can have complete systematic change if we
need to."
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/03/young-climate-activists-rallies-us-elections-coronavirus

[more curiosity video 50 mins]
*Living in the Time of Dying*
Documentary
If we accepted the climate science was true, how would we choose to live
and what would matter to us? This is my journey exploring these topics.
Interviews with: Author of " Deep Adaptation" Professor Jem Bendell,
Dharma teacher and author of "Facing Extinction "Catherine Ingram,
journalist and author of "The End of Ice" Dhar Jamail and Elder, teacher
, author and Citizen of the Chiricuhua Apache Nation, Stan Rushworth.
To find out more about the doco, make a donation or listen to the full
length interviews go to www.livinginthetimeofdying.com
https://www.livinginthetimeofdying.com/documentary

*On this day in the history of global warming - August 4, *

*NYTimes.com reports:*
"President Obama on Monday unveiled an aggressive plan to sharply limit
greenhouse gases emitted by the nation's power plants, declaring that
time was running out to thwart the most dangerous impacts of global
climate change.

"'No challenge poses a greater threat to our future and future
generations than a changing climate,' Mr. Obama said in a speech from
the East Room of the White House as he announced his most ambitious
action to date to tackle the planet's rising temperatures. 'There is
such a thing as being too late when it comes to climate change.'

"The president, who wants to make his initiatives to address the warming
of the planet a central element of his legacy, called the new rules a
public health imperative and 'the single most important step America has
ever taken in the fight against global climate change.' He also sought
to wrap the policy in the legitimacy of transcendental values, noting
that Pope Francis had issued an encyclical in June, calling action on
the issue a 'moral obligation.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/us/obama-unveils-plan-to-sharply-limit-greenhouse-gas-emissions.html?mwrsm=Email

Messages have no tracking software.