[TheClimate.Vote] August 24, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Aug 24 10:29:03 EDT 2020

/*August 24, 2020*/

[understood]
*The Future is Grim in California*
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/08/californias-disasters-are-a-warning-climate-change-is-here/615610/

[situation]
*Climate change is driving wildfires, giving 'rocket fuel' to tropical
storms*
Aug 23, 2020
- -
Andrew Freedman:
Climate change is having a very clear and significant impact on wildfire
size wildfire patterns in California. And you're seeing more extreme
fire behavior now than you did before. So we're seeing more
unpredictable conditions on fire lines. It's more dangerous for
firefighters. We're seeing more weird things like fire, tornadoes, for
example. All of this points in the direction of having more extreme fire
days...
- -
Yeah, it's a record season for tropical storm season in the Atlantic
already. And part of that is due to natural climate variability, which
favors a multi-decade old string of active seasons, but not all of it.

The Atlantic sea surface temperatures are so much warmer than average
right now. That part of that is due to climate change. So instead of
giving just regular gasoline to these storms, you're essentially giving
them rocket fuel where if atmospheric conditions are right, they will
rapidly intensify and potentially catch coastal residents off guard...
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/climate-change-is-driving-wildfires-giving-rocket-fuel-to-tropical-storms

[Tweet on climate change and hurricanes ]
Prof. Katharine Hayhoe
@KHayhoe
*"Was it caused by climate change?" *is the most common question when we
hear about an extreme event. But when it comes to hurricanes, that's the
wrong question. The right one is, "how much worse did climate change
make it?" (thread)
10:29 AM · Aug 31, 2019·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/KHayhoe/status/1167851841041981440

RESEARCH ARTICLE
*The motley drivers of heat and cold exposure in 21st century US cities*
  View ORCID ProfileAshley Mark Broadbent,  View ORCID ProfileEric Scott
Krayenhoff, and  View ORCID ProfileMatei Georgescu
*Significance*
We present climate projections of population-weighted heat and cold
exposure that directly and simultaneously account for greenhouse gas
(GHG) and urban development-induced warming. Previous population heat
and cold exposure estimates have not accounted for urban
development-induced climate impacts, have neglected interactions between
urban development-induced warming and GHG-induced climate change, and
have used fixed temperature thresholds that may be inappropriate for
some cities. We develop a more detailed and nuanced definition of
extreme heat and cold exposure through key innovations, and our
predicted exposure is substantially greater than previous assessments.
Our results demonstrate that Sunbelt cities are projected to undergo the
largest relative increase in population heat exposure to locally defined
extreme heat conditions during the 21st century.

*Abstract*
We use a suite of decadal-length regional climate simulations to
quantify potential changes in population-weighted heat and cold exposure
in 47 US metropolitan regions during the 21st century. Our results show
that population-weighted exposure to locally defined extreme heat (i.e.,
"population heat exposure") would increase by a factor of 12.7-29.5
under a high-intensity greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and urban
development pathway. Additionally, end-of-century population cold
exposure is projected to rise by a factor of 1.3-2.2, relative to
start-of-century population cold exposure. We identify specific
metropolitan regions in which population heat exposure would increase
most markedly and characterize the relative significance of various
drivers responsible for this increase. The largest absolute changes in
population heat exposure during the 21st century are projected to occur
in major US metropolitan regions like New York City (NY), Los Angeles
(CA), Atlanta (GA), and Washington DC. The largest relative changes in
population heat exposure (i.e., changes relative to start-of-century)
are projected to occur in rapidly growing cities across the US Sunbelt,
for example Orlando (FL), Austin (TX), Miami (FL), and Atlanta. The
surge in population heat exposure across the Sunbelt is driven by
concurrent GHG-induced warming and population growth which, in tandem,
could strongly compound population heat exposure. Our simulations
provide initial guidance to inform the prioritization of urban climate
adaptation measures and policy.
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/08/12/2005492117?_ga=2.190904746.1879565487.1598121628-1404867443.1595385063

[Meteorologist retired to Maine, excellent briefing on weather and climate]
*Central Maine Weather 101*
Aug 21, 2020
Thompson Free Library
Local meteorologist & former Navy weather forecaster Ed Hummel presents
a short virtual course on how weather works in this part of Maine and
how it's changing due to climate change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PR8iI1NQvU&feature=youtu.be

[Monbiot on colonial thinking]
*Finding Our Feet*
21st August 2020
Landed power, built on theft, slavery and colonial looting, crushes our
freedoms. It is time to reclaim them.
By George Monbiot, published in the Guardian 19th August 2020

Boris Johnson's attack on our planning laws is both very new and very
old. It is new because it scraps the English system for deciding how
land should be used, replacing it with something closer to the US model.
It is old because it represents yet another transfer of power from the
rest of us to the lords of the land, a process that has been happening,
with occasional reversals, since 1066.

A power that in 1947 was secured for the public - the democratic right
to influence the building that affects our lives - is now being
retrieved by building companies, developers and the people who profit
most from development, the landowners. This is part of England's long
tradition of enclosure: seizing a common good and giving it to the rich
and powerful. Democracy is replaced with the power of money.

Almost all of us, in England and many other nations, are born on the
wrong side of the law. The disproportionate weight the law gives to
property rights makes nearly everyone a second-class citizen before they
draw their first breath, fenced out of the good life we could lead.

Our legislation's failure to moderate the claims of property denies
other fundamental rights. Among them is equality before the law. If you
own large tracts of land, a great weight of law sits on your side,
defending your inordinate privileges from those who don't. We are
forbidden to exercise a crucial democratic right - the right to protest
- on all but the diminishing pockets of publicly-owned land. If we try
to express dissent anywhere else, we can be arrested immediately.

The freedom to walk is as fundamental a right as freedom of speech, but
in England it is denied across 92% of the land. Though we give
landowners 3 billion [pound sterling] a year from our own pockets in the
form of farm subsidies, we are banned from most of what we pay for. The
big estates have seized and walled off the most beautiful vistas in
England. In many parts of the country, we are confined to narrow
footpaths across depressing landscapes, surrounded by barbed wire. Those
who cannot afford to travel and stay in the regions with greater access
(mostly in the north-west) have nowhere else to go.

The pandemic has reminded us that access to land is critical to our
mental and physical well-being. Children in particular desperately need
wild and interesting places in which they can freely roam. A large body
of research, endorsed by the government, suggests that our mental health
is greatly enhanced by connection to nature. Yet we are forced to skulk
around the edges of our nation, unwelcome anywhere but in a few green
cages and places we must pay to enter, while vast estates are reserved
for single families to enjoy.

This government seeks not to redress the imbalance, but to exacerbate
it. Its proposal to criminalise trespass would deny the rights of
travelling people (Gypsies, Roma and Travellers) to pursue their lives.
It also threatens to turn landowners' fences into prison walls. Last
week I mentioned the illegal quarrying of the River Honddhu I
discovered. Had I not been trespassing, I would not have seen it and had
it stopped. Criminalising trespass would put free range people outside
the law, and landowners above the law.

The government's proposed award to landowners and builders, of blanket
planning permission across great tracts of England, will tilt the law
even further towards property. Housing estates will be designed not for
the benefit of those who live in them, but for the benefit of those who
build them. We will see more vertical slums as office blocks are turned
into housing, and more depressing suburbs without schools, shops, public
transport or green spaces, entirely dependent on the car. It will do
nothing to solve our housing crisis, which is not caused by delays in
the planning system but by developers hoarding land to keep prices high,
homes used for investment rather than living, and the government's lack
of interest in social housing. By shutting down our objections,
Johnson's proposal is a direct attack on our freedoms. It is a gift to
the property tycoons who have poured £11 million into the Conservative
party since he became Prime Minister: a gift seized from the rest of us.

But we will not watch passively as we are turned into even more inferior
citizens. Launched today, a new book seeks to challenge and expose the
mesmerising power that landownership exerts on this country, and to show
how we can challenge its presumptions. The Book of Trespass, by Nick
Hayes, is massively researched but lightly delivered, a remarkable and
truly radical work, loaded with resonant truths and stunningly
illustrated by the author.

It shows how the great estates, from which we are excluded, were created
by a combination of theft from the people of Britain (the enclosure of
our commons) and theft from the people of other nations, as profits from
the slave trade, colonial looting and much of the $45 trillion bled from
India were invested into grand houses and miles of wall: blood money
translated into neoclassical architecture.

It reveals how the "decorative pomp and verbose flummery" with which the
great estates are surrounded disguises this theft, and disguises the
rentier capitalism they continue to practice. It explains how the
landowners' walls divide the nation, not only physically but also
socially and politically. It shows how the law was tilted away from the
defence of people and towards the defence of things. It shows how
trespass helps to breach the mental walls that keep us apart.

Accompanying the book is a new campaign, calling for the right to roam
in England to be extended to rivers, woodland, downland and uncultivated
land in the greenbelt, and to include camping, kayaking, swimming and
climbing. This is less comprehensive than the rights in Scotland, which,
despite the dire predictions of the landowners, has caused little
friction and a massive improvement in public enjoyment. But it would
greatly enhance the sense that the nation belongs to all of us rather
than a select few. A petition to parliament launched by Guy Shrubsole,
author of another crucial book, Who Owns England, seeks to stop the
criminalisation of trespass. Please sign it.

We can expect these efforts to be testerically opposed in the
billionaire press. This is what happened when a group of us launched the
Land for the Many report last year: it was greeted by furious attacks
and outrageous falsehoods across the rightwing papers. Even the mildest
attempts to rebalance our rights are treated as an existential threat by
those whose privilege is ratified by law. But we cannot allow their fury
to deter us. It is time to decolonise the land.
www.monbiot.com
https://www.monbiot.com/2020/08/21/finding-our-feet/

[Gail the Actuary]
*Gail Tverberg: Post-doom with Michael Dowd*
Aug 23, 2020
thegreatstory
This conversation with Gail Tverberg was recorded in June 2020. Gail's
website is: https://ourfiniteworld.com To learn more about Gail, see:
https://ourfiniteworld.com/about/
"Regenerative conversations exploring overshoot, grief, grounding and
gratitude"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uke_veuXpKY

[propaganda wars video]
*Sacha Baron Cohen Rips Facebook and Other Social Media Giants | NowThis*
Nov 25, 2019
NowThis News
'If Facebook were around in the 1930s, it would have allowed Hitler to
post 30-second ads' — Listen to Sacha Baron Cohen slam the social media
industry for facilitating the spread of hate, lies, and conspiracies
through its creation of the 'greatest propaganda machine in history.'...

In US news and current events today, though Sacha Baron Cohen is best
known for roles in The Spy, Who Is America, and Ali G, this week he went
viral for speaking out against Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, and other
social media sites. In this now famous Sacha Baron Cohen Facebook speech
at the Anti-Defamation League, Cohen blamed social media companies for
allowing the spread of hate speech and conspiracy theories. Facebook
political ads have been the target of politicians like AOC recently, as
Facebook has vowed to not police lies in political ads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irwVRMH04eI

*On this day in the history of global warming - August 24, 2005 *
[7 minute YouTube Video]
MSNBC's Olbermann on David Koch
Aug 25, 2010
lhfang86