[TheClimate.Vote] February 1, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Feb 1 11:04:18 EST 2020

/*February 1, 2020*/

[raise a glass, quickly]
*Goodbye cabernet sauvignon. How climate change will end wine as we know
it.*
Don't get too attached to that pinot noir. New research suggests
switching grapes to avoid climate catastrophe.
- - -
The scientists' computer models show that if we do nothing, global
warming of 2 degrees Celsius would wipe out 56 percent of current
wine-growing land; increase that to 4 degrees and an estimated 85
percent of grapes won't be viable...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/01/31/wine-climate-change-/

[National Geographic says of Australia]
*Wildfires have spread dramatically--and some forests may not recover*
An explosion in the frequency and extent of wildfires worldwide is
hindering recovery even in ecosystems that rely on natural blazes to
survive...
- - -
Nevertheless, the climate change trajectory we are on will mean an
unavoidable increase in droughts, heatwaves, and other drivers of fire.
Several decades from now, 2019 may be regarded as normal year, or even a
relatively cool and wet year, Allen says.

"It's a really foreboding future that has crept up on us very quickly,"
Woinarski adds. "We're witnessing the beginning of the deterioration of
many of our most loved ecological systems. That's a tragedy for us, but
a worse tragedy for our descendants."
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/01/extreme-wildfires-reshaping-forests-worldwide-recovery-australia-climate/

[positivism - Paul Guilding prediction paper]
*CLIMATE CONTAGION *
2020- 2025
Paul Gilding examines the factors shifting market sentiment as climate
and energy contagion looms. His latest paper looks five years forward
with projections of fossil-fuel industries becoming obsolete and the new
economy beginning to be built. Gilding describes an economic tipping
point lurking in the immediate future and a new contagion that is set to
sweep through the finance system when the global market flips - from
fear of acting too early to fear of being left behind as everyone races
for the exits. Everything is ready, everyone knows it's coming. It's
time to be prepared. Climate Contagion sounds the alarm that fossil fuel
investments are heading for a crash, and bankers and economies reliant
on them will shudder.
https://www.breakthroughonline.org.au/papers

[YouTube video]
*Sir David King supports Extinction Rebellion defendants*
Jan 31, 2020
Extinction Rebellion
On Jan 28th 2020, Sir David King, former chief scientific adviser to the
UK government, offered evidence for the defence of five Extinction
Rebellion protesters on trial for the London City Airport action.

Sir David, who attended the trial at City of London Magistrates Court,
spoke outside about the important role of Extinction Rebellion in
raising awareness of the climate crisis and the need for urgent
government action.

In a written statement submitted to the court, he warns that without an
immediate change of course, the world is facing a 3-4 degree rise in
temperatures.

Read his full statement here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9BiweGrP-9xT3J5b3VmT2hoa29Jc29aY3Y4YWRRdmJPVmhV/edit

Join the rebellion: https://Rebellion.Earth/
International: https://Rebellion.Global/

    1. #TellTheTruth
    2. #ActNow
    3. #BeyondPolitics

World Map of Extinction Rebellion Groups: https://Rebellion.Global/branches/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR
Category Nonprofits & Activism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHlK5wwN-Qo

[Entertainment Culture fantasy world]
*Climate Change Is Netflix's Ragnarok*
The newest superhero coming-of-age drama updates--and
infantilizes--Nordic mythology for our age of environmental disaster.

The setup should sound familiar. Our hero is a huge, blond Nordic
warrior. Weapon-wise, he favors sledgehammers and lightning;
emotion-wise, uninterrogated goodness. His younger brother's an
inveterate prankster. The bad guys are a family named Jutul, which is
one letter away from the Norwegian word for "giant." Except this time,
you won't find capes or angry green mutants. Taking their place
are--wait for it--portentous climate change references. Watch out!

Netflix's newest superhero coming-of-age drama, Ragnarok, de-Marvelizes
the viking myths for our climate-crisis age of Scandinavian child
heroes. It follows Magne, an awkward Norwegian teen who moves to a town
called Edda with his mother and brother. Situated in the shadow of a
mountain, Edda appears diseased. The glaciers are melting; fish are
dying. Bad omens abound. When an old woman touches Magne's forehead, his
eyes change color. Soon, he's swept up into an ancient tussle between
Good and Evil, and the stakes are the fate of the world. Also, he goes
to high school...
more at -https://www.wired.com/story/climate-change-netflix-ragnarok/

[Aussie actor reads his poem]
*Despair for expat as Australia burns*
On The Science Show with Robyn Williams
Download Despair for expat as Australia burns (8.21 MB)
Download 8.21 MB
Living through the fires which saw the end of 2019 and the start of 2020
was hard enough for those who lost friends and relatives and for those
who lost their homes. But for Aussie expats, the distance brought with
it its own anguish. Actor Ben Lawson shares his pain in this emotional
video posted on Facebook.

Duration: 5min 58sec
Broadcast: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 12:05pm
Transcript
Robyn Williams: As we celebrate Australia Day, once more we start with a
poem. It's been there on social media from afar, a passionate rhyme from
an expat, Ben Lawson, talking about the land he loves.

Ben Lawson:
The place I'm from is far away
She's wide and flat and brown

She raised me up and taught me almost
Everything I know
Like how to live and love and shaped
The way I learned to grow

And though I had no say in where
My folks chose to reside
I always sort of had a sense
Of patriotic pride

I'd always felt connected from
A space somewhere within
See that's the thing about this place
She gets under your skin

So when the time had come after
Two decades and a half
To go and see the world she didn't
Scoff, she didn't laugh

She understood I had so much
I needed to explore
And that I would return, for she
Had seen my kind before

And thus I ventured out and joined
An ignominious posse
Of dreamers living far from home:
Expatriated Aussies

The streets of Brooklyn, London's Eye,
An Indonesian Sizzler
Cafes in Paris, Clubs in Rome
Or every shop in Whistler

You hear our voices far and wide
Like members of a club
Fanning out across the world
Quite often in a pub

We smile when people mimic us
Quote Crocodile Dundee
To them we sound absurd. I guess,
We do to a degree

They talk about the snakes and sharks
As if it's some big fuss
'I couldn't live down there'! they say
We say that's fine by us what

Somehow the months turn into several
Trips around the sun
Yet that tie to the motherland's
As strong as on day one

Regardless though, how far away
I happen to have wandered
I'll always check to see who won
The Hottest of the Hundred

I'll somehow find a pub to watch
The granny on the tele
And four days before Christmas I will
Always play Paul Kelly

It really doesn't matter just
How far or wide I roam
The Boy From Oz was right I guess
It's never not your home

And when I cross another Aussie
Traveling a while
We'll nod and say g'day and then
We'll share a knowing smile

You see we know it matters really
Not that much at all
If England takes The Ashes home
Or World Cup hopes are small

Perhaps we won't get quite as many
Medals as the Yanks
At Wimbledon we might not have
A top ten in the ranks

Cuz we've still got the greatest gift
A wonder all its own
A paradise of sand and sun
We get to call our home

I think about her often and
That feeling comes along
That warm familiar pride that tells me
She's where I belong

And Crowded House comes on in some
Strange far flung foreign bar
My eyes sting for a moment. Man,
Sometimes I do feel far.

The purpose of these verses though
Is not to hear me muse
It's what I saw this morning when
I opened up the news

My heart stopped for a second and
My throat became too tight
Her name was in the headlines and
She didn't look alright

I had to sit, I couldn't quite
Believe my own two eyes
She looked unrecognisable
I'd never seen those skies

That's not the place I grew up in
That's not what I remember
Bushfires never started up so
Early as September

It's much too much to fathom that
Your homeland has succumbed
To such a horror. And they say
The worst is yet to come

I stare as they evacuate
And watch as children choke
Our New Zealander neighbours now
Are coughing on our smoke

I'm looking at a mile of fencing
Lined with blackened shapes
Koalas, possums, kangaroos
With no chance of escape

So far we've burned about three times
The land as the Brazilians
And as for all those animals
We're up to half a billion

Don't be afraid, they tell me, of
A little Aussie coal
This stuff is worth a fortune, it's
Like carbonised black gold!

So what if it's not great in an
Environmental sense
Just think of the economy
Don't focus on science

Now's not the time to talk about
Our planet getting hotter
Or fire seasons lengthening
Or folks who don't have water

It's sad we've lost some good people
A firey or three
At least they all died knowing we've
A healthy GDP

I mustered that old Aussie pride
But to my disbelief
Discovered only anger there
An overwhelming grief

We say we love our country but
That leaves a bitter taste
Our apathy to climate change
Should make us feel disgraced

We're so concerned with digging up
That black stuff from the ground
Myself I'd rather half a
Billion animals around

But then I see those photos of
Dark figures in the fray
The tiny silhouettes struggling
To keep the flames at bay

I read about the volunteers
Who stepped up to the tragedy
And spent their Christmas in the blaze
Instead of with their family

I read in awe about our fearless
Firefighting crews
Who could give up at any time
They want, but they refuse

Men and women out there in
The midst of devastation
Upon their yellow jackets pinned
The prayers of a nation

I watch as ordinary Aussies
Rise to the occasion
Feeding precious animals half
Dead from dehydration

They're sending in their clothes and food
To those who've lost it all
The kids are even raising cash
With cupcakes at a stall

And suddenly I get the pang
Of something deep inside
The one that starts down in my gut
And rises like a tide

The same one that runs through me
Putting fire in my veins
It now glows deep within and so much
Brighter than those flames

And though I'm far away from her
Right now when she is ailing
I know I've never been so proud
To call myself Australian

Please donate anything you can.
Robyn Williams: Anything you can. Yes, a poem from Ben Lawson for
Australia Day. A big guy somewhere crying for his country.
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/despair-for-expat-as-australia-burns/11893216

[Digging back into the internet news archive - this article is more than
13 years old]
*On this day in the history of global warming  - February 1, 2007 *

The Guardian reports on a bizarre effort by the American Enterprise
Institute to attack the credibility of the Fourth IPCC report, due to
be released the next day.

    *Scientists offered cash to dispute climate study*

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2007/feb/02/frontpagenews.climatechange