[TheClimate.Vote] February 20, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Feb 20 09:25:48 EST 2020

/*February 20, 2020*/

[Wildfire in politics]
*Statements from five presidential candidates about wildland fire*
Author Bill Gabbert - Feb 19, 2020
They were asked about how to break the cycle of more severe weather,
homes in fire-prone areas, and fire suppression that puts forests at
greater risk for more catastrophic fires in the future...
https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/02/19/statements-from-five-presidential-candidates-about-wildland-fire/

[influence]
*Parents can't fix climate change with life hacks -- but here are ways
to make a real impact*
By Caitlin Gibson - Feb. 18, 2020
The climate crisis is so monumental, its symptoms so horrific --
acidifying oceans, raging wildfires, vanishing wildlife -- that it's
easy to feel paralyzed in the face of it. For parents raising the
children who will inherit a damaged planet, the prospect can feel
particularly daunting...
- - -
How climate experts think about raising children who will inherit a
planet in crisis

Individual consumer choices do matter (go for that bamboo toothbrush
over a plastic one; the sea turtles thank you), but they are not the
deciding factor in halting the current crisis, says Mary DeMocker, an
environmental activist and author of "The Parents' Guide to Climate
Revolution: 100 Ways to Build a Fossil-Free Future, Raise Empowered
Kids, and Still Get a Good Night's Sleep."

"Busy parents -- along with everyone else -- have been told for years
that individual lifestyle changes can stop the climate from spinning out
of control, but the truth is they can't," she wrote in her book. "Not by
themselves, anyway."...
- - -
Focus time, energy on larger movement
If you only have a little time to spare at the end of a busy week, the
best way to spend it is not by meticulously sorting every scrap of
recyclable material in your home, but rather by contributing to bigger
environmental efforts -- whether at the local, state or national level,
DeMocker says.

"Spend 10 minutes looking at your local grass-roots climate group
online," she says. Are they protesting a proposed pipeline? Urging
residents to call their elected officials about pending legislation?
Advocating for the protection of a threatened park or waterway?

"Understand your sphere of influence, where your interest is and where
the levers of power are. . . . Look up the important decisions being
made on the policy level in your own community," she says.

This is especially critical in an election year, she says. "Now is the
time to plug into the electoral cycle, at whatever level parents and
families can," she says. "That might mean volunteering, it might mean
phone-banking or knocking on doors, it might mean just having more
water-cooler conversations about the climate champions who are running
for office."

Moms Clean Air Force encourages its members to bring their kids with
them when they do advocacy work, Toney says. "There are kids who, I
swear, should be registered lobbyists because they know how to advocate,
they have been in the practice of speaking for themselves," she says. If
you don't have time to plan a trip to your local representative's
office, she adds, your child can help you reach out in other ways.

"Sign a petition, write an email, send a Facebook message with a picture
of a handmade sign," she says. "Find out what people in your community
are doing, and join in."

Connect kids to the environment
"This sounds really simple, but just getting outdoors is hugely helpful
for getting your children to have a connection with nature and the
environment," Toney says. That doesn't mean you have to take them on a
grand tour of every national park: "I don't mean, 'Go buy $500 hiking
boots and climb through the mountains,' " she says. "Figure out what you
have right in your space, and just go outside."

When you're out there, help your children learn how to pay attention to
their surroundings. Even with very young kids, this is something that
sets the stage for a deeper environmental awareness, Toney says.

"When we walk from the front door to the car, which is just down a
little sidewalk, we take note of what's outside. 'There's the grass, and
the trees, and is that a flower? What color is the tree? Is that a
rabbit?' " she says. "It creates a relationship. Now when my little one
gets out of the car at night, he immediately looks up. He says, 'Oh,
stars! The sky! Clouds!' We're trying to create, at a very young age,
this connection with the natural things around us."

Ways to help kids cope with -- and help combat -- climate change

Pick one thing to champion or to give up
If the eco-parenting "to-do" lists are feeling like too much, DeMocker
suggests finding just one thing that feels reasonable for your family to
give up, such as eating red meat, buying tropical wood, taking vacations
that involve plane travel or using a bank with ties to the fossil fuel
industry...
- - -
Empower kids to be agents of change
Is your community debating an environmental policy or pondering the
possibility of adding more pedestrian- or bicycle-friendly
infrastructure? If there's a public hearing coming up, let your child be
the one who addresses your elected leaders. Planning to attend a
pro-environment demonstration? Bring the kids, and let them make their
own signs.

Not every young climate activist is Greta Thunberg, but any child can
carry her message forward, DeMocker says. "A child can make a sign to
display on your car or the bike or the front lawn," she says. "They can
knock on doors, help you write a letter or an email."

For younger kids, this sense of initiative can start at the household
level. When Toney's daughter was 7, the family's community did not
provide recycling bins. She was determined that the family should
recycle anyway, so she created her own container, decorating a big
cardboard box with crayon drawings, Toney says.

"We kept that box until it was soaked through with God knows what, and
that was our recycling container, and that was initiated by my child,"
Toney says. "It's important to find things that they can initiate
themselves, and support them in that."

Don't give in to despair
For Christmas 2016, DeMocker asked her family to create a "wall of
kindred spirits" in their home, complete with portraits of inspirational
figures, climate heroes and creative icons -- among them Harriet Tubman,
Susan B. Anthony, Honduran environmentalist
Berta Caceres and Kenyan Nobel Peace Prize winner Wangari Maathai, who
was honored for leading an effort to plant 30 million trees. The point
of this display, DeMocker says, is to offer encouragement in moments
when optimism feels hard to come by.

"When I'm ragged and without the strength to go on, my heroes silently
say, You've got this, dear. Keep on fighting," she writes in her book.

The climate crisis can be frightening and heartbreaking, and we must
make space to process those emotions, DeMocker says; cry, vent, go for a
run -- but then rally, because it's not too late. And kids need to see
determination and optimism modeled for them, too.

"We have hope; scientists are telling us that we are not doomed, and
this is really an important conversation because so many people think
we're a lost cause already," DeMocker says. "And we have to work hard to
address that, because I think it's the biggest issue we face -- the
emotional response that people have to the climate crisis. And I
understand why; it's big, it's daunting. But it is not a lost cause, and
we must remember that."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/parents-cant-fix-climate-change-with-life-hacks--but-here-are-ways-to-make-a-real-impact/2020/02/17/291d23ce-42a8-11ea-b5fc-eefa848cde99_story.html

[WHO is World Health Organization]
*World failing to provide children with a healthy life and a climate fit
for their future: WHO-UNICEF-Lancet*
19 February 2020 News release
As climate and commercial threats intensify, WHO-UNICEF-Lancet
Commission presses for radical rethink on child health
No single country is adequately protecting children's health, their
environment and their futures, finds a landmark report released today by
a Commission of over 40 child and adolescent health experts from around
the world. The Commission was convened by the World Health Organization
(WHO), UNICEF and The Lancet.

The report, A Future for the World's Children?, finds that the health
and future of every child and adolescent worldwide is under immediate
threat from ecological degradation, climate change and exploitative
marketing practices that push heavily processed fast food, sugary
drinks, alcohol and tobacco at children.

"Despite improvements in child and adolescent health over the past 20
years, progress has stalled, and is set to reverse," said former Prime
Minister of New Zealand and Co-Chair of the Commission, Helen Clark. "It
has been estimated that around 250 million children under five years old
in low- and middle-income countries are at risk of not reaching their
developmental potential, based on proxy measures of stunting and
poverty. But of even greater concern, every child worldwide now faces
existential threats from climate change and commercial pressures.
*A manifesto for immediate action on child and adolescent health *
To protect children, the independent Commission authors call for a new
global movement driven by and for children. Specific recommendations
include:

    1. Stop CO2 emissions with the utmost urgency, to ensure children
    have a future on this planet;
    2. Place children and adolescents at the centre of our efforts to
    achieve sustainable development;
    3. New policies and investment in all sectors to work towards child
    health and rights;
    4. Incorporate children's voices into policy decisions;
    5. Tighten national regulation of harmful commercial marketing,
    supported by a new Optional Protocol to the UN Convention on the
    Rights of the Child.

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/19-02-2020-world-failing-to-provide-children-with-a-healthy-life-and-a-climate-fit-for-their-future-who-unicef-lancet

[Paul Beckwith video lecture]*
**West Antarctic Ice Sheet Melt Expected to Greatly Accelerate as
Southern Ocean Warms: Part 1 of 3*
Feb 19, 2020
Paul Beckwith
An island off the northernmost tip of Antarctica reached a record
breaking temperature of 20.75 C (69.35 F) for the first time, after
setting a record the previous week of 18.3 C (65 F), besting the
previous record of 17.5 C (63.5 F) in March 2015. I show on Earth
Nullschool how a dip in the Southern Hemisphere jet stream let warm air
penetrate the Antarctica Peninsula; temperatures over this region in the
last 50 years have increased by 3 C (5.4 F), which is 4 to 5 times the
global average rise. However it is the temperature rise in the Southern
Oceans that greatly accelerates West Antarctic Ice Sheet melt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60aOaOYU8YQ

[Rare for to scientists to use the term "evil"]
Energy Research & Social Science
Volume 61, March 2020, 101361
*Power, evil and resistance in social structure: A sociology for energy
research in a climate emergency*

    The climate emergency demands a radical rethink of sociology for
    energy research.
    Giddens' structuration theory can be rejuvenated for this project.
    Powerful, self-serving actors construct and maintain
    climate-damaging social structure.
    Moral argument will not persuade such actors to surrender their power.
    The notion of "evil" is useful for theorizing how their power can be
    dislodged.

A new paper in Energy Research & Social Science by Cambridge's Ray
Galvin seeks to reinvigorate the social science of climate and energy as
the general assumption that humans tackle political issues in good faith
creates a hole in our understanding of behavior, which means "the notion
of human evil needs to be better theorized." Galvin's work is steeped in
sociology references and theory, but here's an attempt to present it in
plain language that we're hoping doesn't stupidly misrepresent it like
deniers did to Zeppetello.
After the abstract, the first line is: "We find ourselves in a climate
emergency." Why is that? Galvin proposes that sociology "might help
explain" why we're "bent on wrecking earth's Holocene climate" and what
"daring, obstinate actions would be needed to halt this rush to
destruction."

At the core of the framework Galvin presents is that "powerful people
who know their actions are harming millions" and "whose actions are
shaping social structure in their own interests and against the
interests of humanity are not likely to be persuaded to give up their
destructive power by the force of moral argument."

"Evil (whatever it is ontologically)," Galvin writes, "is not only in
their actions, it is also in their tenacious clinging to these actions
despite good moral argument." These "people who behave selfishly,
maliciously, or with other 'evil' intent often know very well that these
behaviours contravene basic moral codes of conduct, not only within
their own culture but even universally."

So while each of us can individually choose more climate-friendly
options, like electric vehicles, that can only go so far to mitigate the
problem in the absence of larger, structural changes. And those changes
will only come with the exercising of political force, because "we are
not dealing only with kind-hearted, well-intentioned people of goodwill,
but also with 'evil'" in the selfish preservation of vast fortunes or
use of political power to benefit only one's self.

This kind of evil "can only be neutralised by force of power, by
citizens' determined and carefully crafted resistance." Ultimately,
"people of goodwill need to increase their power so as to work actively
to wrest power from those who control social structure for their own
gain at the expense of others and the climate."

There are a lot of different names and words used to describe various
shapes of denial. But really two words will suffice. For those who are
innocently deceived by those who promote denial, the nicest descriptor
would be that they are merely "misled" deniers.

As for those doing the misleading, that greed, that indifference to
human suffering, that willingness to deceive others and distort social
structures to suit one's personal aims at the expense of the public?

That can only truly be described as evil.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221462961930876X

*On this day in the history of global warming  - February 20, 2013*
In his first major policy speech as Secretary of State, John Kerry
directly addresses the risks of climate change.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqJt_WSGoVI
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/02/21/1620201/speech-kerry-climate-hawk-courage-reject-dirty-keystone-xl-pipeline/