[TheClimate.Vote] February 25, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Feb 25 07:41:09 EST 2020

/*February 25, 2020*/

[over-insulated perhaps]
*Mike Bloomberg under fire for 'not very ambitious' climate plan*
Candidate has offered few details on how he would he achieve goals as
critics say plan lags behind Democratic rivals
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/22/mike-bloomberg-climate-plan-campaign

[call for a world government]
*We need a world institution for climate and energy*
Establishing a structure to direct the green transition is key to success
https://www.ft.com/content/947290a6-5319-11ea-90ad-25e377c0ee1f

[local TV news in Vermont]
*Vt. House approves Global Warming Solutions Act*
By Calvin Cutler - Feb 21, 2020

MONTPELIER, Vt. (WCAX) Vermont lawmakers Friday took action to advance a
climate change bill that calls for the state to meet strict carbon
emission reduction targets or face legal consequences.

The state has missed the targets for years but now you may be able to
sue the state if it fails to meet those goals.

The bill would require that by 2025 the state reduce greenhouse gas
emissions by 26% below the 2005 amount and 80% below by 2050.

The state will create a council that will make a plan to tackle climate
change.

If the state falls short of meeting its emission goals, then Vermonters
can file lawsuits to get the state back on track. There's no money
involved. It would just be a court order that demands the state work to
meet its goals.

"This is helping the state keep its promises to Vermonters. These are
promises we've already made. This says we're going to take it seriously
and we're going to have a plan. If we fall down on the job, you're going
to have a way to hold us accountable," said Rep. Selene Colburn,
P-Burlington.

The Global Warming Solutions Act passed through the House on a vote of
105-37. That means even if Gov. Phil Scott chooses to veto the plan,
lawmakers can override his decision.

The Senate will vote on the bill next week.
https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Vt-House-approves-Global-Warming-Solutions-Act-568079641.html

[From the New Yorker]
*The One War That the Human Species Can't Lose*
By Robin Wright
The amount of ice on Earth was pivotal in the creation of human
civilization ten thousand years ago, a fact that paleo-climatologists
only discovered in the late twentieth century. Scientists now say that
ice is the key to peace among civilizations for millennia to come, too.
"The stability and size and mass of Antarctica is not a bad proxy for
how violent the world could become, in that human civilization was built
on a stable climate," Spencer Glendon, a senior fellow at the Woods Hole
Research Center, explained to me. "For the first hundred and ninety
thousand years that they were on the planet, humans moved from place to
place to find temperate weather, as ice and deserts shifted and
temperatures moved in wild swings. About 10,000 B.C., the climate
stabilized. When it stabilized, the nice places stayed nice. A stable
climate helped humans stop being nomads. And that's why people settled,"
creating time and space to create humankind's first civilizations.
- -
"What's coming--or is happening--is the end of the earth's stability,"
Glendon told me. "In human terms, that means a return to migration, but
in a population of not just a few million, but several billion."

Before I went to Antarctica, I checked in with Donald Perovich, a
geophysicist at Dartmouth who tracks sea ice. We got to talking about
wars. "You can argue that in all wars, there are winners and losers.
Afterward, societies go on. There's an opportunity to recover and move
forward. If you approach climate change as a war, there are some really
severe consequences across the board," he told me. "This," he added, "is
the one war we can't lose."
https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/antarcticas-ice-the-one-war-that-the-human-species-cant-lose#intcid=recommendations_the-new-yorker-right-rail-popular_142bf0bb-b782-4953-ab23-33b79c3c8ec5_popular4-1

*On this day in the history of global warming  - February 25, 2005 *
In a piece on state-level efforts to address carbon pollution, the
Boston Phoenix's Deirdre Fulton notes:

    "Though the United States accounts for almost 25 percent -- more
    than any other single country -- of the world's global-warming
    emissions, advocates say there's been little federal action on this
    issue since at least 2001. That's when George W. Bush, echoing
    concerns that had also been voiced by his predecessor Bill Clinton,
    opted out of Kyoto, citing national economic concerns and calling on
    developing nations to commit to greater sacrifices than they do
    under the current agreement. No wonder China, India, Mexico, and
    Brazil signed on, say US and Australian leaders. They have much less
    to lose as more stringent emissions regulations go into effect for
    other nations worldwide.

    "The US position may or may not be fair, but we do know this much:
    it doesn't move us very far toward addressing the looming problem of
    global warming. And that makes regional and state-level efforts all
    the more important."

http://web.archive.org/web/20050315235150/http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/other_stories/multi_3/documents/04495072.asp