[TheClimate.Vote] January 7, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Jan 7 11:28:46 EST 2020

/*January 7, 2020*/

[Media culture awards]
*Climate Change Stole the Show at the Golden Globes*
https://earther.gizmodo.com/climate-change-stole-the-show-at-the-golden-globes-1840830510

[lessons not learned, will be repeated - opinion]
*Australia's apocalyptic fires are a warning to the world*
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/australias-apocalyptic-fires-are-a-warning-to-the-world/2020/01/06/138a4ffc-30b8-11ea-91fd-82d4e04a3fac_story.html

[taunt or boast? opinion]
JANUARY 3, 2020
*Washington Post is Confident Fossil Fuel Industry Has Enough Political
Power to Destroy the Planet*
by DEAN BAKER
Charles Lane used his Washington Post column to brag about the fact that
the fossil fuel industry and climate denialists have had enough
political power to prevent more widespread use of electrical cars, as he
had apparently predicted would be the case a decade ago. He seems very
proud of this fact. He also concludes by citing a prediction that there
will be 125 million electric vehicles on the road worldwide in a decade,
less than one-tenth of the total. And he is confident that the actual
number will be below this.

Okay, I'm sure it's fun to use your column in the Washington Post to
predict a climate disaster, but let's take a look at some of the facts
here, insofar as Lane has any.

He starts by telling readers:

    "gas-powered cars account for between one-sixth and one-fifth of
    U.S. carbon emissions."

Lane's source actually says that transportation accounts for 29 percent
of carbon emissions. Cars and trucks account for 82 percent of this,
with ships, boats, and "other" accounting for another 7.0 percent. If we
assume that half of those emissions could also be readily replaced with
electric motors, that would get us to 85.5 percent of the 29 percent of
emissions attributable to transportation, which would put us at just
under a quarter of total emissions. That's a bit more than "between
one-sixth and one-fifth," but why quibble?

Then Lane informs us:

    "government subsidies for them [electric cars] will be a regressive
    transfer of social resources in return for little climate benefit,
    given that the U.S. power grid the cars draw from is 64 percent
    fueled by coal and gas."

Okay, there may have been someone somewhere who did not realize that the
climate benefits from switching to electric cars are minimal unless we
also switch to clean power sources, but I've never encountered such a
person. The obvious point here is that even if we have a massive switch
to clean sources of electricity generation, we will still be emitting
huge amounts of greenhouse gases if most of our cars are still powered
by fossil fuels.

Then Lane tells us the horrible news:

    "Government, both federal and state, subsidized electric-car sales
    and production to the tune ofseveral billion dollars, yet as of
    March 2019."

Wow, several billion dollars! That's a lot of money. He doesn't tell us
how many billions "several billion" is, but his source warns that it
could be as high as $20 billion in total. Let's see, that would be
around 3.0 percent of the annual military budget. But since these are
subsidies that took place over a decade, we would be talking about
somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.5 percent of military spending over
this period.

Lane also shares his great wisdom for those who want to see mass
adoption of electric cars:

    "Mass adoption of electric cars, however, cannot occur unless they
    can do everything gas-powered vehicles can do -- including the
    ability to go hundreds of miles before refueling, and refueling
    easily -- at a comparable total cost of ownership."

When we think about the total cost of ownership and go back to Mr.
Lane's great insights on the issue of electric cars a decade ago, it
might be worth considering projections for the price of oil at that
time. Back in 2010, the OECD projected that the price of oil in 2020
would be $120 a barrel in 2009 dollars, which would translate into more
than $140 a barrel in today's dollars.

That would easily add another $2 a gallon to the current price of
gasoline. It would be interesting to know if Lane had recognized a
decade ago that the OECD and other forecasters had hugely over-projected
the price of oil, or alternatively, if he thinks it would not affect the
competitiveness of electric cars if gas was selling for $5 a gallon
instead of $3 a gallon.

This also raises the obvious point that folks who care about the future
of the planet might want to tax gas by $2 a gallon (or more) as is done
in Europe. Of course, if we think it is cute to wreck the planet for
future generations, then we would never think of making people pay for
the damage they cause.

In terms of what is possible, China sold almost 1.3 million electric
cars in 2018 and sales are projected to grow at more than a 33 percent
annual rate through 2024.  The industry has taken somewhat of a hit this
year, as the government cut back subsidies, but it appears that the
leadership is renewing its commitment to electric cars, which means it
is likely to get back on this growth path. (China also leads the world
in production of electricity from wind and solar power, so electric cars
will make a difference there.)

Anyhow, Lane could be proved right. His friends in the fossil fuel
industry may be able to thwart any serious efforts to reduce greenhouse
gas emissions here and around the world. That will give him something to
gloat about in 2030.

It is worth noting, for anyone making nonsense arguments about
affordability, the worldwide savings between the oil price projected
from 2010 and the actual price of oil today comes to more than $2.7
trillion a year. If we add in savings from lower priced natural gas and
coal, which would be at least comparable, the total would be in the
neighborhood of $5.4 trillion a year.

The $5.4 trillion in savings that the world is seeing each year from
lower than projected fossil fuel prices would be enough to buy 180
million electric cars a year, if they cost $30,000 each. In other words,
switching to electric cars on a large scale is affordable, if anyone
cares about the future of the planet.

This column first appeared on Dean Baker's Beat the Press blog.
Dean Baker is the senior economist at the Center for Economic and Policy
Research in Washington, DC.
https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/01/03/washington-post-is-confident-fossil-fuel-industry-has-enough-political-power-to-destroy-the-planet/

*On this day in the history of global warming  - January 7, 1982 *
The New York Times reports:

    "Mankind's activities in increasing the amount of carbon dioxide and
    other chemicals in the atmosphere can be expected to have a
    substantial warming effect on climate, with the first clear signs of
    the trend becoming evident within this decade, a scientist at the
    National Aeronautics and Space Administration said here today.

    "The changes are in prospect because of excess carbon dioxide put
    into the atmosphere as humans burn coal, gas, oil and wood and cut
    forests for agriculture and other purposes. More recently there has
    also been an atmospheric buildup of methane, nitrous oxide and other
    chemicals as a result of agriculture and industry, said Dr. James
    Hansen of the space agency's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in
    New York.

    "Dr. Hansen spoke at a session of the annual meeting of the American
    Association for the Advancement of Science here and amplified some
    of his remarks at a news conference."

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/07/us/warming-of-world-s-climate-expected-to-begin-in-the-80-s.html