[TheClimate.Vote] January 15, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Jan 15 11:22:42 EST 2020

/*January 15, 2020*/

["follow the money" - now becomes "follow climate change for places to
put money"]
*World's Largest Asset Manager Puts Climate At The Center Of Its
Investment Strategy*
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/14/796252481/worlds-largest-asset-manager-puts-climate-at-the-center-of-its-investment-strate
- - -
[Black Rock posted document to CEOs]
*A Fundamental Reshaping of Finance...*
Climate change has become a defining factor in companies' long-term
prospects. Last September, when millions of people took to the streets
to demand action on climate change, many of them emphasized the
significant and lasting impact that it will have on economic growth and
prosperity – a risk that markets to date have been slower to reflect.
But awareness is rapidly changing, and I believe we are on the edge of a
fundamental reshaping of finance...
more at -
https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/investor-relations/larry-fink-ceo-letter
- - -
[letter to clients today]
*Sustainability as BlackRock's New Standard for Investing*
*Sustainable, Resilient, and Transparent Portfolios *
Climate change is driving a profound reassessment of risk and we
anticipate a significant reallocation of capital.
full document at -
https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/investor-relations/blackrock-client-letter
- - -
[BlackRock FAQ in PDF]
*FAQs Making sustainability our standard*
https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/literature/investor-education/sustainability-faqs-global.pdf

[European justice report from Voice of America]
*Swiss Judge Acquits Global Warming Protesters *
By VOA News
January 13, 2020 09:45 PM
A Swiss judge Monday found a group of activists not guilty of
trespassing when they stormed into a branch of Credit Suisse bank to
protest its investment in fossil fuels.

The defendants and their supporters screamed with joy when Judge
Philippe Colelough dismissed the charges and waived the fine. He agreed
with the activists that they were protesting against what they say is an
"imminent danger" caused by global warming.

"Because of the insufficient measures taken to date in Switzerland...the
average warming will not diminish or even stabilize. It will increase,"
the judge said, adding that the action of the defendants was "necessary
and proportional."

Credit Suisse said it will analyze the verdict. It has previously said
it respects freedom of expression, but cannot put up with "unlawful
attacks on its branches."

About a dozen young men and women barged into the bank branch outside
Lausanne in November 2018 and started playing tennis in the building --
a living reference to Swiss tennis star Roger Federer who is sponsored
by the bank.

Along with protesting the bank's multi-billion dollar investment in
fossil fuels, the activists are urging Federer to cut his ties to Credit
Suisse.

Federer issued a statement saying he takes the impacts of climate change
very seriously and is using his "privileged position to dialogue on
important issues with my sponsors."
https://www.voanews.com/europe/swiss-judge-acquits-global-warming-protesters

[Down Under media dispute]
Jan 10th, 2020
*James Murdoch Slams Fox News and News Corp Over Climate-Change Denial*
Rupert Murdoch's younger son and his wife issued a rare public rebuke of
the family's media empire and its promotion of climate-change skeptics
during Australia's bushfire crisis...
https://www.thedailybeast.com/james-murdoch-slams-fox-news-and-news-corp-over-climate-change-denial
- - -
[here's some insider email]
*'Dangerous, misinformation': News Corp employee's fire coverage email*
A News Corp employee has accused the organisation of a "misinformation
campaign" filled with "irresponsible" and "dangerous" coverage of the
national bushfire crisis, urging executive chairman Michael Miller to
think about the "big picture".

In an email distributed to News Corp Australia staff and addressed to Mr
Miller, commercial finance manager Emily Townsend said she had been
filled with anxiety and disappointment over the coverage, which had
impacted her ability to work.
Ms Townsend, who has worked for News Corp Australia for five years,
thanked Mr Miller for the email about fundraising initiatives in
relation to the fires, but said the efforts did not offset the company's
coverage of the bushfires.

"I have been severely impacted by the coverage of News Corp publications
in relation to the fires, in particular the misinformation campaign that
has tried to divert attention away from the real issue which is climate
change to rather focus on arson (including misrepresenting facts)," she
said.

*"Everything I said in the email I stand by. I feel sick, not because
the email has been circulated but because I have been contributing to
this deception by continuing to work for this organisation. I haven't
been able to sleep, this has really preoccupied my thinking; it is
unconscionable what this company has been doing when it comes to climate
change," she said.*

Mr Miller stood by News Corp's coverage of the bushfires and said that,
while he respected Ms Townsend's views, he did not agree with them.

"Ms Townsend resigned in December and was due to leave News Corp
shortly," Mr Miller said.

"News Corp stands by its coverage of the bushfires. The dedication and
professionalism of our journalists and photographers have kept the
community - particularly those Australians affected directly - informed
and supported. We respect Ms Townsend's right to hold her views but we
do not agree with them."
Mr Miller said the company would continue to provide information to
affected communities and "strongly support" them as they begin to
rebuild and recover from the damage.

"Contrary to what some critics have argued, News Corp does not deny
climate change or the gravity of its threat. However, we - as is the
traditional role of a publisher - do report a variety of views and
opinions on this issue and many others that are important in the public
discourse on the fires," Mr Miller said.
Ms Townsend's comments follow an influx of false and misleading posts
spread on social media websites this week about the cause of the
bushfires, which have raised concerns among politicians and academics.

The company's approach to covering the bushfires and climate change has
attracted international attention in recent days.

This week, The New York Times wrote an article about the coverage of the
crisis by News Corp, referring to exaggerated claims about the role of
arson in fires.

However News Corp Australia said the coverage recognised Australia was
having a conversation about climate change, adding the role of arsonists
were legitimate stories to report.
News Corp columnists including Maurice Newman and Andrew Bolt have
previously expressed scepticism over climate change.

However, at the company's annual general meeting last year, founder and
chairman of News Corp, Rupert Murdoch, rejected claims his company
promoted an agenda of climate-change denial.

"We were the first North American media company to commit to
science-based targets to limit climate change," Mr Murdoch said. "There
are no climate change deniers around, I can assure you."

This week Australian federal Communications Minister Paul Fletcher urged
the public to maintain a "healthy scepticism" about bushfire-related
information posted online.

The email was removed from News Corp employee inboxes within an hour of
it being sent.
https://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/dangerous-misinformation-news-corp-employee-s-fire-coverage-email-20200110-p53qel.html

*On this day in the history of global warming  - January 15, 2016*
The Seattle Times reports:

    "Five Washington activists who blocked BNSF Railway tracks were
    convicted of trespass Friday in a Snohomish County District Court
    trial that defense attorneys used to showcase the environmental and
    health threats posed by trains transporting oil and coal.

    "A six-person jury reached guilty verdicts on misdemeanor trespass
    charges for all five defendants. The defendants were found not
    guilty of the additional charge of obstructing or trying to delaying
    trains.

    "Their protest, which lasted for eight hours, unfolded Sep. 2, 2014,
    on a BNSF rail yard in Everett as they sought to draw attention to
    the risks of coal and oil trains that travel through the state.

    "Defendant Abigail Brockway positioned herself some 20 feet off the
    ground on top of a metal tripod while the four others -- Patrick
    Mazza, Jackie Minchew, Michael Lapointe and Liz Spoerri -- chained
    themselves to the structure's legs.

    "The trespassing count carries a sentence of up to 90 days in jail.

    "The defendants have served one day in jail, and they received a
    suspended sentence for the other 89 days as well as two years of
    probation. Four of the defendants also must pay $553 in fines and
    fees, according to Bob Goldsmith, an attorney for Brockway."

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/5-activists-convicted-of-trespass-on-everett-tracks-in-protest-over-oil-coal-trains/