[TheClimate.Vote] January 22, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Jan 22 09:13:06 EST 2020

/*January 22, 2020*/

[Greta at Davos - When the Walls Fell]
*Greta Thunberg | Averting a Climate Apocalypse | Davos 2020 |
Extinction Rebellion*
Jan 21, 2020
Extinction Rebellion
'I've been told telling people about the climate crisis is a very
dangerous thing to do' Greta Thunberg speaks at Davos 2020.
Filmed in Davos, Switizerland - 21 January 2020.
Original here: https://tinyurl.com/u7n3lsu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGokqK7iBd4

[Carbon commerce fueling disinformation]
*How the fossil fuel industry polluted the information landscape*
Key points
1. Internal corporate documents show that the fossil fuel industry has
known about the reality of
human-caused climate change for decades. Its response was to actively
orchestrate and fund
denial and disinformation so as to stifle action and protect its status
quo business operations.
2. As the scientific consensus on climate change emerged and
strengthened, the industry and its
political allies attacked the consensus and exaggerated the uncertainties.
3. The fossil fuel industry offered no consistent alternative
explanation for why the climate was
changing--the goal was merely to undermine support for action.
4. The strategy, tactics, infrastructure, and rhetorical arguments and
techniques used by fossil
fuel interests to challenge the scientific evidence of climate
change--including cherry picking,
fake experts, and conspiracy theories--come straight out of the tobacco
industry's playbook for
delaying tobacco control.
These key points reflect the position of experts studying climate denial
and the history of fossil fuel
interests, based on thousands of pages of documented evidence.
https://www.climatechangecommunication.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/America_Misled.pdf
- - -
*Exxon has misled Americans on climate change for decades. Here's how to
fight back*
It's crucial to expose the fossil fuel industry's disinformation tactics
so the public doesn't fall prey to the next effort
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/23/exxon-climate-change-fossil-fuels-disinformation
https://www.climatechangecommunication.org/america-misled/

[Music video worth a listen]
*IPCC - Baba Brinkman Music Video*
Jan 21, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OBM2tUKpKc

[Jerusalem Post - Diaspora]
*500 rabbis and Jewish leaders call for action against climate change*
The letter released earlier this month was signed by rabbis and leaders
spanning the denominational spectrum
https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/500-rabbis-and-Jewish-leaders-call-for-action-against-climate-change-614325
- - -
[Press Release]
*Entitled "Elijah's Covenant Between the Generations to Heal Our
Endangered Earth"*
https://religionnews.com/2020/01/14/collaboration-of-500-rabbis-cantors-jewish-leaders-and-teachers-across-all-denominations-call-for-action-to-address-the-climate-crisis/

[We all have this]
*Recognizing Eco-Anxiety -- What It Is and Ways You Might Be Affected*
By Abigail Bassett - JAN 17, 2020
With the climate crisis worsening the world over, figuring out how to
carry on, adjust, and do what you can to help can seem daunting -- but
here are some ways to cope.
While there's no clinical diagnosis for eco-anxiety, more and more
people are feeling the emotional effects of climate change.

Whether it's fears about rising sea level, sadness about wildfires
worldwide, or just a general sense of dis-ease about the future of our
planet, you aren't alone. There are things you can do to cope.

There's no way to deny it any longer: Climate change is occurring at a
far faster rate than many scientists had hoped or expected, and it's
beginning to have a significant effect on our mental health.

Back in November of 2019, more than 11,000 scientists around the world
declared that the climate is in crisis, stating "clearly and
unequivocally that planet Earth is facing a climate emergency." The
focus of their alarming report was on the speedy rise of greenhouse
gases, which raise the surface temperature of the earth and, in turn,
cause major disasters like fires (like those in the rainforest and
Australia), floods, and significant food and water supply disruption.

"I think we reached a crucial point with that report. It is, without a
doubt, a crisis. The facts are clear. It's real, and it's a threat to
our lives as a species," says Merritt Juliano, the co-president of the
Climate Psychology Alliance of North America, a group that works to
bring mental health awareness to climate change.

"The most recent reports show how dire the situation is. The reality is
that we have not done enough to prevent the worst from happening.
Climate change has never been referred to as an "emergency," and now
that the mainstream news media has started covering it more, people are
bombarded with the potential for a catastrophic future in an unstable
world," she says.

Climate anxiety has become prevalent enough that the American
Psychological Association released a report about the topic late last
year. The report details how therapists can help patients struggling to
cope and lays out just how prevalent the mental side effects of climate
change are.

"Climate change has moved from more of a fringe awareness to a
mainstream thing," Renee Lertzman, a climate psychologist and founder of
Project Inside Out, a group working on creating a roadmap to deal with
climate-related mental health concerns that arise as the climate crisis
advances, says. "It's like culture has woken up. We know more now than
we ever have about the impact that we have on the planet," she said,
"and it can be scary."

*What is Eco-Anxiety?*
Eco-anxiety is a loose term that generally refers to a wide variety of
emotional responses to climate change. It can encompass everything from
grief (known by the National Institutes of Health as "solastalgia") and
anxiety to depression and increased stress. Climate change affects our
physical world, and that, in turn, impacts our mental health and well-being.

Symptoms of climate-related mental health problems, according to the APA
report, can include everything from increased aggression, violence, and
crime, to depression, fear, helplessness, stress, anxiety, and
sleeplessness. As the report states, "These responses are keeping us and
our nation, from properly addressing the core causes of and solutions
for our changing climate, and from building and supporting psychological
resilience."

In addition to her work at CPA North America, Merritt Juliano has a law
degree and is practicing psychotherapist. She says that anxiety is
usually triggered by feeling out of control or sensing a loss of control.

"The climate crisis is so overwhelming and big, and complex, that, for
the individual, it's like a big mess that they have no control over.
When the individual is trying to figure out how to solve the crisis, it
becomes unsolvable," she says.

That doesn't mean that you should collapse into a sobbing heap, however.
Renee Lertzman has done TED Talks on the topic of eco-anxiety, and she
says that the "anxiety piece of climate change is the hidden subtext of
the issue. It is very normal and natural to have an anxiety response to
it, but it doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with us. It means
we are alive, and we care, and we are waking up."

Lertzman says that eco-anxiety can show up in a variety of ways,
including the inability to focus, feeling overwhelmed, feeling anxious,
or feeling like nothing really matters.*
*

*What to do if You are Struggling with Eco-Anxiety?*

If you think you are struggling with eco-anxiety or climate-related
mental health issues, there are a few things you can do in both the
short and long term.

Short term, the best thing to do is to find ways to take control of what
feels like an out-of-control situation. That means making small,
earth-friendly decisions every day.

You can do things like opt-out of disposable utensils and serving ware
when you can. It's easy to carry pocket-sized cutlery with you and cut
down on your use of disposable plastics. You can also choose to cut down
on your plastic consumption by using reusable silicone bags, or beeswax
wraps instead of plastic bags and wrap. Juliano also suggests doing
things like composting (you don't have to live in the country to do it,
either--there are countertop versions available.), flying less, visiting
the local farmers market for your foods, choosing a more vegetable-based
diet, choosing more eco-friendly cleaning products, and simply buying
and consuming less.

There are plenty of ways you can cut down on disposable items in your
life, and making small changes can have a significant impact on the
environment.

"If these kinds of activities were adopted by everyone in the world, it
would create a large macro change. Of course, each individual has their
own unique circumstances, and it may not be feasible to buy an electric
car or avoid plastic, but the small steps can make a big difference,"
she says.

In addition to behavior changes, Lertzman suggests that you think of
yourself as part of the collective whole. "Climate anxiety is
existential. It often feels far bigger than what any one person can do.
We normally think about it very individualistically. As an individual,
we are insignificant but, if we think we are members of communities and
part of social and cultural worlds, then cumulatively, that's where the
power is."

She suggests that first and foremost that you offer yourself compassion
and patience because, as Juliano mentioned, it may not be possible to
make drastic changes to your consumption patterns or your plastic use.
Lertzman encourages those struggling with eco-anxiety to practice
resilience. "People often shame themselves and push themselves to be
more eco-friendly and climate active. It's common for people to pile on
themselves and think, "I'm not doing enough; I don't care enough." It's
really unproductive and inaccurate. What's important is to reframe from
'I should be doing more.' to 'What is my experience? What feels right
for me to do right now? Who else can I connect with to make that happen?
How can I support myself?"

She also says that being active and engaged in climate change
conversations is one of the most healing things we can do for our
anxiety. "Doing it from a spirit of choosing to channel feelings into
something more productive and constructive and creative and
regenerative, is a good place to start when dealing with eco-anxiety,"
she says.

Lertzman also suggests that you seek out meditation and spend time in
nature to help calm eco-anxiety. "Making sure that we engage in
practices that bring us a lot of pleasure and joy that make us feel
connected with the earth and other physical beings is important. Talking
with other people is so important, and I would suggest that people feel
empowered and encouraged to seek out therapy, not as a sign of weakness
but as a reflection of resilience and taking care of oneself," she says.

If your anxiety is manifesting in self-destructive behaviors, preventing
you from living your life, or simply robbing you of daily joy, it may be
time to seek out a professional. While there is no formal list of
climate therapists, the Climate Psychology Alliance of North America is
currently compiling a list of therapists who specialize in
climate-related mental health. Juliano says that the list should be
completed soon and will be available on their website soon.

In the meantime, you can search the APA or Psychology Today for a list
of local therapists (who take your insurance) who may be able to help.
As Lertzman points out, it's important to interview your chosen
therapist and ask about their feelings on the climate and environmental
issues. You want to be sure that you are both on the same page so you
can work together. If your anxiety leads to thoughts of harming
yourself, do not hesitate to reach out to the National Suicide
Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. They are available 24-hours a day,
seven days a week.
https://www.shondaland.com/live/body/a30470585/recognizing-eco-anxiety-what-it-is-and-ways-you-might-be-affected/

[video of Greta]
*Greta Thunberg tells world leaders "You haven't seen the last of us"*
Jan 17, 2020
Global News
Greta Thunberg told world leaders on Friday that  they "haven't seen the
last" of climate activists , as she marched with hundreds of people in
the western Swiss city of Laussane ahead of the World Economic Forum in
Davos, Switzerland, next week.

The 17-year-old Swedish activist, who launched the Fridays for Future
movement, will urge world and business leaders in Davos to enact
stronger policies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mamMP6g2uzw

[from the Dept of Sarcasm, Irony, and Schadenfreude]
*'You can't make this stuff up': BHP says Australian bushfires hurting
coal production**
*

On Tuesday, the company said energy coal production in New South
Wales fell 11 per cent to seven million tonnes for the second
quarter, partly blaming the fires.

Management reported in their first-half trading update that work had
slowed due to poor visibility in December, when the fires were at
their worst and some employees took leave to protect their homes...

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/you-can-t-make-this-stuff-up-bhp-says-australian-bushfires-hurting-coal-production

*On this day in the history of global warming  - January 22, 1970 *
In his State of the Union address, President Nixon declares:

"The great question of the seventies is, shall we surrender to our
surroundings, or shall we make our peace with nature and begin to
make reparations for the damage we have done to our air, to our
land, and to our water?

"Restoring nature to its natural state is a cause beyond party and
beyond factions. It has become a common cause of all the people of
this country. It is a cause of particular concern to young
Americans, because they more than we will reap the grim consequences
of our failure to act on programs which are needed now if we are to
prevent disaster later.

"Clean air, clean water, open spaces--these should once again be the
birthright of every American. If we act now, they can be.

"We still think of air as free. But clean air is not free, and
neither is clean water. The price tag on pollution control is high.
Through our years of past carelessness we incurred a debt to nature,
and now that debt is being called...

"The automobile is our worst polluter of the air. Adequate control
requires further advances in engine design and fuel composition. We
shall intensify our research, set increasingly strict standards, and
strengthen enforcement procedures--and we shall do it now.

"We can no longer afford to consider air and water common property,
free to be abused by anyone without regard to the consequences.
Instead, we should begin now to treat them as scarce resources,
which we are no more free to contaminate than we are free to throw
garbage into our neighbor's yard."

http://youtu.be/5LpspwT0ZwA about 24 minutes in