[TheClimate.Vote] January 28, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Jan 28 08:38:52 EST 2020

/*January 28, 2020*/

[More Amazon worker activism]
*Amazon Employees For Climate Justice*
@AMZNforClimate
1/ Hundreds of us decided to stand up to our employer, Amazon. We are
scared. But we decided we couldn't live with ourselves if we let a
policy silence us in the face of an issue of such moral gravity like the
climate crisis.
#AMZNSpeakOut
We're a group of Amazon employees who believe it's our responsibility to
ensure our business models don't contribute to the climate crisis.
https://twitter.com/AMZNforClimate/status/1221842637168074752

[State government action]
*With 130-Mile Coast, New Jersey Marks a First in Climate Change Fight*
Builders will be forced to take climate change, including rising sea
levels, into account to win government approval for projects.
- - -
Mr. Egenton, the state Chamber of Commerce official, said there was a
recognition among business leaders that the time is ripe for a
development approach that is more focused on resiliency. "I think we
all, collectively, have to start thinking differently, start thinking
smarter," he said.

Details about the governor's executive order came as part of an
announcement on Monday about revisions to the state's Energy Master
Plan, a document intended to create a road map to reducing the state's
dependency on fossil fuel.

Once adopted, the land-use regulations could be unraveled by subsequent
administrations, but Mr. Moore said that is easier said than done.

"If they hold to this timeline, that's not a trivial exercise for a
governor to redo," he said. "There's a whole process of justifying a
rollback."...
more at -
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/27/nyregion/climate-change-nj-environmental-rules.html

[Extinction Rebellion is declared terrorism]
*Terror police list that included Extinction Rebellion was shared across
government*
Document was sent to several departments, NHS England, Ofsted and 20
councils
Controversial guidance that listed Extinction Rebellion as an extremist
ideology was sent to a wide range of government departments and local
authorities including the Home Office and Counter Terrorism Policing
headquarters, the Guardian can reveal.

The south-east division of Counter Terrorism Policing was forced to
recall the document, which listed the climate crisis group alongside
neo-Nazis and jihadists, after it was exposed by the Guardian.

After the Guardian revealed the document's existence Counter Terrorism
Policing South East (CTPSE) branded it an "error of judgment" and said
it "was produced at a local level".

But now, after an internal review, the unit has confirmed the guide was
sent to the Home Office, the Department for Education, NHS England, the
Ministry of Defence, HM Prison Service, Probation Service and Ofsted, as
well as 20 local authorities, five police forces and Counter Terrorism
Policing headquarters (CTPHQ) in London...
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/e8265183c74d55d80c100ffba2c7b75535016cc2/0_0_718_961/master/718.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=1da0e52b9b84cd8feb31ae9fcf5cea10
The guide placed Extinction Rebellion alongside neo-Nazi groups and
jihadists and encouraged public sector workers to report any individuals
with links to them to Prevent, the controversial anti-radicalisation
programme.
The distribution list shows a wide range of organisations across the
country were in receipt of it for more than a month before it was
recalled and prompted questions over the lack of action taken by CTPHQ,
the Home Office and others to flag its contents...
- - -
A separate counter-terrorism document, a guide to symbols and logos,
featured Greenpeace, Peta and other non-violent groups alongside
National Action, Combat 18 and swastikas. It had been listed by schools,
NHS Trusts and safeguarding boards as a Prevent resource material. A
number of groups have threatened legal action.

City of London police labelled Extinction Rebellion one of its "key
threats" in a counter-terrorism assessment and provided awareness
training on the climate crisis group across the capital, resulting in
"intelligence" tip-offs.

Police chiefs have insisted they do not consider Extinction Rebellion
and other non-violent groups to be extremists or terrorists and the
documents were intended to help officers distinguish between groups of
interest and others.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/27/terror-police-list-extinction-rebellion-shared-across-government

[an important news site ]
Investigating Delay on Climate Action
*Drilled News*
Hot Take
Climate change has emerged as the undisputed story of our time, even of
all humanity. But we don't know how to talk about it. And the story is
so overwhelming, we don't get to talk about storytelling. In Hot Take,
Mary Annaise Heglar and Amy Westervelt take an intersectional, critical,
but constructive look at climate coverage--with the ultimate goal of
making the conversation more productive and powerful. Not just bigger,
but more inclusive. Listen and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts
(or hit play below to listen here).

*SEASON 3: The Mad Men of Climate Denial, launching Jan 21, 2020! *
**
https://www.drillednews.com/podcasts
https://www.drillednews.com/
- - -
Apple Podcast
*Hot Take Critical Frequency*
In Hot Take, Mary Annaise Heglar and Amy Westervelt take an
intersectional, critical, but constructive look at climate
coverage--with the ultimate goal of making the conversation about
climate change more productive and powerful. Not just bigger, but more
inclusive.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hot-take/id1488414960

[BBC science ]
*Antarctica melting: Journey to the 'doomsday glacier'*
By Justin Rowlatt
- - -
Thwaites is sitting on the seabed
The reason the scientists are so worried about Thwaites is because of
that downward sloping submarine bed.

It means the glacier gets thicker and thicker as you go inland.

At its deepest point, the base of the glacier is more than a mile below
sea level and there is another mile of ice on top of that.

What appears to be happening is that deep warm ocean water is flowing to
the coast and down to the ice front, melting the glacier.

As the glacier retreats back, yet more ice is exposed...
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51097309

*On this day in the history of global warming  - January 28, 1969 *
The notorious Santa Barbara, California oil spill takes place.
http://youtu.be/jqd_VTADHzM
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/06/30/3453277/oil-spill-heard-round-the-world/