[TheClimate.Vote] July 2, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Jul 2 11:38:42 EDT 2020

/*July 2, 2020*/

[CBS News video]
*House Democrats release plan to fight climate change*
House Democrats have released a 500-page report with recommendations for
government action to help fight climate change. Congresswoman Kathy
Castor of Florida is the chair of the House Select Committee on the
Climate Crisis, and she joined CBSN to discuss the recommendations.
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/house-democrats-release-plan-to-fight-climate-change/

[changes are predictable]
*Why 2020 to 2050 Will Be 'the Most Transformative Decades in Human
History'*
Climate change will force more people to leave their homes than at any
other point in human history. Conflict is inevitable.
Eric Holthaus
Jun 24 · 2020
 From the book 'The Future Earth: A Radical Vision for What's Possible
in the Age of Warming' by Eric Holthaus. Copyright 2020 by Eric Holthaus.

The 30 years from 2020 to 2050 will be among the most transformative
decades in all of human history. Collapsing ice sheets, the aerosol
crisis, and rising sea levels will force more people to leave their
homes than at any other point in human history. In some places, that
means conflict is inevitable.

A study from researchers at the University of California at Berkeley
found that higher temperatures and shifting patterns of extreme weather
can cause a rise in all types of violence, from domestic abuse to civil
wars. In extreme cases, it could cause countries to cease functioning
and collapse altogether.

This ominous reality of climate change is far from fated, however. A
rapidly changing environment just makes conflict more likely, not
inevitable. People, ultimately, are still in control. Our choices
determine whether or not these conflicts will happen. In a world where
we've rapidly decided to embark on constructing an ecological society,
we'll have developed countless tools of conflict avoidance as part of
our climate change adaptation strategies.

Still, there will be those who choose to live outside the mainstream
society who may pose an existential threat to the rest of us. Some
groups and a few rogue countries will try to prevent the rest of the
world's transition toward ecological and social justice. They will do
this either because of the lingering influence from the dwindling fossil
fuel industry, or because of a fascist ideological response to climate
change that puts human rights at risk, or out of desperation.

Mary Annaise Heglar, a climate essayist and advocate for intersectional
approaches to racial and environmental justice, is inspired particularly
by Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower for an example of how things
could go very badly. In the book, Butler describes fire-obsessed cults
that spring up in a post-rapid climate change world, craving some sense
amid the destruction and chaos they see all around them. Heglar thinks
that could be just the beginning. "The future I see is really ugly
unless something very, very drastic changes," Heglar told me. "It's a
world where people find many, many different ways, very creative ways,
to be cruel to one another. Unpredictability brings out people's cruelty
if you're not careful. And most people are not careful."

Heglar specifically thinks of the racial massacre in East Saint Louis,
Illinois, in 1917 as an example of the kind of violence that might
emerge if the world is not careful. Angry white mobs murdered dozens of
Black people after they were hired in place of striking workers at
factories during World War I. If lifesaving technology is not
distributed fairly, or if governments lean too heavily on austerity
along racial lines, or if climate disasters fragment already vulnerable
populations, the result could be truly ugly.

"So many things that we think are impossible today could be completely
normal in 20 years," Heglar told me. "I hear people saying now that
'when it gets really bad, I'll just move to New Zealand or I'll move to
Sweden, where climate change impact is not going to be that drastic.'
But it's not going to be cute there. First of all, it's going to be
mostly the 1% living there. So if you think your regular ass is gonna be
able to buy land in New Zealand, good luck."

An escapist attitude is probably the most dangerous reaction to climate
change today. It drives to the heart of how the problem of climate
change came into being in the first place: By imagining ourselves as
individuals who somehow exist outside the context of an interconnected,
living ecosystem on a planet where all of our actions deeply affect one
another, we fail to see each other's humanity and right to simply exist.
It's the same attitude that drives the richest men in the world today to
create their own private space agencies. Those who are already being
affected by the climate emergency can't and won't simply be left to fend
for themselves while the privileged few plot their escape plans -- to
higher ground in their neighborhood, to inland mountain refuges, to Mars.

Until we build a world that works for everyone, we'll continue to have
people whose survival is systematically erased by those in power. That's
the dystopia for the rich and powerful: a world where the rest of us
finally realize the power we had all along to fight for a
justice-focused society.

It will take active, conscious effort to defuse the tensions sure to
arise in a warming world. Overcoming a coordinated effort by the fossil
fuel industry to save itself is not going to be easy, but we know it's
coming. That effort has been going on since the fossil fuel industry
began, and it won't just go away in the 2040s, even amid two decades of
radical and hopeful changes. As always, our best hope will remain that
we can prepare along the way to increase the chances of a peaceful
transition to a fossil-free world.

We know that the weather in the 2040s will be worse than it is today. A
major, sudden change, like a collapsing ice sheet or a quick rise in
global temperatures after eliminating aerosols, would make the weather
even more destructive than current predictions, even if we are able to
radically reduce greenhouse gas emissions. What we can control, of
course, is how we decide to respond to the worsening weather.

Since my conversation years ago with Rear Admiral David Titley, I've
repeated his idea of "catastrophic success" over and over to myself when
I think things can't get any worse, and I've let it shape my view of how
the world could quickly change beyond our wildest imaginations -- for
the better. Titley sees the warming world both as a scientist (he's a
meteorologist by training) and as a former military officer. He
understands that the potential for a massive increase in refugees is a
heartbreaking and almost inevitable looming humanitarian crisis due to
the science of the escalating severity of droughts, floods, and severe
weather we've already seen in recent decades and the historical tendency
for leaders to close borders during times of crisis. A worsening of this
trend could make the world practically ungovernable in our lifetimes.

The U.S. military has been among the first large-scale entities to
recognize this. That kind of makes sense if you consider its mission of
ensuring U.S. safety and prosperity continues for as long as possible:
Without planetary stability, there is no U.S. stability. That's part of
why U.S. military strategists at the Pentagon have begun calling climate
change a "threat multiplier."

When Titley talks about migration, though, even he struggles to put the
stakes in context. In the 2040s, if global sea levels rise by three feet
and droughts, fires, heat waves, and floods continue to worsen, we could
see around 250 million people forced from their homes. That's about four
times as many people as are currently displaced and about 50 times as
many as were displaced during the Syrian civil war. In short, it would
challenge our understanding of nationality, borders, and politics as usual.

"Post-World War II," Titley told me, "tens of millions of people within
Europe were on forced migration in the 1940s. We kind of gloss over that
part of history. I mean, Europe was really bad after World War II. It's
part of what got the Marshall Plan. I think it really kind of scared us
that, hey, this whole place is just collapsing, basically, and something
had to be done."

An uncontrolled, unanticipated climate-related migration crisis could be
even worse than the refugee crisis after World War II, which, despite
its horrors, displaced less than 1% of the world's population. Climate
change could displace three times that amount just in the next two or
three decades. Although displacement due to extreme weather is already
becoming increasingly common, the proximate cause of displacement and
migration is usually fleeing violent conflict. How do we anticipate a
world that could quickly fracture and urgently work to reduce the risk
of violent conflict before it occurs?

A crisis like this will require proactive harm reduction on a
civilizational scale. We will need to establish policies that encourage,
rather than restrict, freedom of movement. And we must establish robust
social safety nets so that families are less likely to abandon their
homes in search of a place where they can simply live. Also, even before
we reach zero emissions globally, we will have to recognize the need to
take aggressive actions to reduce the level of carbon dioxide in the
atmosphere. All of this will remain just as urgent in the 2040s as in 2020.

"I'm probably wrong," Titley said, "but I'm actually more optimistic
that we are going to do real things now than I have been for a long,
long time. I think there's actual legitimate cause for optimism."

Specifically, Titley pointed to the steady shift away from outright
denial among rank-and-file members of the Republican Party as evidence
that attitudes can shift toward action, no matter how meager. And once
that facade of climate denial breaks, an avalanche of action could soon
follow. "We may be much closer to catastrophic success right now. Things
can change, and not always for the worse. They can change for the
better. It can happen very, very quickly."
https://onezero.medium.com/why-2020-to-2050-will-be-the-most-transformative-decades-in-human-history-ba282dcd83c7

[Heating to come]
*Global heating will make it much harder for tropical plants to
germinate, study finds*
Temperatures will be too hot for the seeds of one in five plants by the
year 2070, Australian researcher says.
Global heating will make it much harder for tropical plants around the
world to germinate, with temperatures becoming too hot for the seeds of
one in five plants by the year 2070, according to a new study.

Global heating will impact the ability of more than half of all tropical
plants to germinate if emissions of greenhouse gases remain high...
- -
The seed bank database includes a range of germination experiments and
Sentinella and colleagues examined only species where results covered
the same species from the same locations.

Then the study looked at the warmest three months of each year from 1970
to 2000 where those plants existed, and compared those temperatures to
what was expected by 2070 under a scenario where greenhouse gas
emissions remain very high.

By 2070, the results showed more than half the tropical plants had been
pushed beyond the best temperature range for germination. For about 20%
of species, the study suggested temperatures would be too high for the
plants to germinate...
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jul/02/global-heating-will-make-it-much-harder-for-tropical-plants-to-germinate-study-finds

[clips from the NewYorker article]
*What Facebook and the Oil Industry Have in Common*
By Bill McKibben - July 1, 2020
Why is it so hard to get Facebook to do anything about the hate and
deception that fill its pages, even when it's clear that they are
helping to destroy democracy? And why, of all things, did the company
recently decide to exempt a climate-denial post from its fact-checking
process? The answer is clear: Facebook's core business is to get as many
people as possible to spend as many hours as possible on its site, so
that it can sell those people's attention to advertisers. (A Facebook
spokesperson said the company's policy stipulates that "clear opinion
content is not subject to fact-checking on Facebook.") This notion of
core business explains a lot--including why it's so hard to make rapid
gains in the fight against climate change.

For decades, people have asked me why the oil companies don't just
become solar companies. They don't for the same reason that Facebook
doesn't behave decently: an oil company's core business is digging stuff
up and burning it, just as Facebook's is to keep people glued to their
screens. Digging and burning is all that oil companies know how to
do--and why the industry has spent the past thirty years building a
disinformation machine to stall action on climate change. It's why--with
the evidence of climate destruction growing by the day--the best that
any of them can offer are vague pronouncements about getting to "net
zero by 2050"--which is another way of saying, "We're not going to
change much of anything anytime soon." (The American giants, like
ExxonMobil, won't even do that.)

Total, the French oil company, has made the 2050 pledge, but it is
projected to increase fossil-fuel production by twelve percent between
2018 and 2030. These are precisely the years when we must cut emissions
in half, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, to
have any chance of meeting the vital targets set by the Paris climate
agreement, which aim to hold the planet's temperature increase as close
as possible to one and a half degrees Celsius. The next six months will
be crucial as nations prepare coronavirus recovery plans. Because
effective climate planning at this moment will require keeping most oil,
coal, and gas reserves in the ground, the industry will resist fiercely.

So we need power brought to bear from companies whose core business is
not directly challenged by climate activism. Consider the example of
Facebook again: after organizing by people like Judd Legum and
StopHateForProfit.org, companies including Unilever and Coca-Cola agreed
to temporarily stop advertising on the social platform. Coke's core
business is selling you fizzy sugar water that can help make you
diabetic--when that's threatened, the company fights back. But when it
feared being attacked for helping Facebook's core business, it simply
stopped advertising with the company, which wasn't essential for Coke's
business.

That's why it is critical to get third parties to pressure the oil
industry. This past month, the growing fossil-fuel divestment campaign
got a huge boost when the Vatican, whose core business is saving souls,
called for divestment, and the Queen of England, whose core business is
unclear but involves hats, divested millions from the industry. Keith
Ellison, the attorney general of Minnesota, announced that he was suing
ExxonMobil, as well as the American Petroleum Institute and Koch
Industries, for perpetrating a fraud by spreading climate denial for
decades. (Ellison's core business is justice, and his office is pursuing
this climate action at the same time that it is prosecuting the killers
of George Floyd.) All this, in turn, puts pressure on the financial
industry to stop handing over cash to oil companies. As I pointed out in
a piece last summer, JPMorgan Chase may be the biggest fossil-fuel
lender on earth, but that's still only about seven per cent of its
business--big, but not core.

Effective progress on climate will require government and the finance
industry to enforce the edicts of chemistry and physics: massive action
undertaken inside a decade, not gradual, gentle course correction. And
that will require the rest of us to press those institutions. Because
our core business is survival...
more at -
https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-a-warming-planet/what-facebook-and-the-oil-industry-have-in-common

[beavers say 'gnaw']
*The Newest Threat to a Warming Alaskan Arctic: Beavers*
The large rodents are creating lakes that accelerate the thawing of
frozen soils and potentially increase greenhouse gas emissions, a study
finds.
BY BOB BERWYN, INSIDECLIMATE NEWS - JUN 29, 2020
Alaskan beavers are carving out a growing web of channels, dams and
ponds in the frozen Arctic tundra of northwestern Alaska, helping to
turn it into a soggy sponge that intensifies global warming.

On the Baldwin Peninsula, near Kotzebue, for example, the big rodents
have been so busy that they're hastening the regional thawing of the
permafrost, raising new concerns about how fast those organic frozen
soils will melt and release long-trapped greenhouse gases into the
atmosphere, said scientists who are studying the beavers' activity.

The number of new beaver dams and lakes continues to grow exponentially,
suggesting that "beavers are a greater influence than climate on surface
water extent,"
- -
The bigger and deeper the pools made by the beavers, the warmer the
water. The larger pools hold heat longer, which delays refreezing in
autumn. Tape said Arctic vegetation, permafrost, hydrology and wildlife
are all linked. Even against the backdrop of other recent Arctic global
warming extremes, like raging wildfires, record heat waves and dwindling
glaciers and sea ice, the impact of beavers stands out, he said.

"It's not gradual change," he said. "It's like hitting the landscape
with a hammer."

"And it's a continual change that the Arctic is just not used to," he added.
- -
Another way to see them is as "agents of Arctic adaptation," said Ben
Goldfarb, author of a recent natural history book that shows how beavers
could help many other species, including humans, survive the era of
rapid, human-caused climate change.

"Beavers create fantastic habitat for all kinds of species, like
songbirds and moose," Goldfarb said. "All of those species are moving
northward because of climate change, and beavers are preparing the way."
As a habitat-creating keystone species, beavers are also important food
for wolves, and recent research shows that beaver ponds are good at
keeping carbon locked up, he added.

Beavers may even hold the key to survival for some salmon species that
are losing their streams to global warming and other changes farther south.

"We're losing salmon in other places. If they're going to shift their
climate envelope, they're probably going to need beavers to help them,"
Goldfarb said.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/29062020/beavers-alaska-climate-change-permafrost

*On this day in the history of global warming - July 2, 2006 *
Notorious climate denier Dick Lindzen whines, moans, kvetches and
complains about "An Inconvenient Truth" in a piece for the Wall Street
Journal's OpinionJournal.com.

    *Don't Believe the Hype*
    Al Gore is wrong. There's no "consensus" on global warming.
    BY RICHARD S. LINDZEN
    Sunday, July 2, 2006 12:01 a.m. EDT
    According to Al Gore's new film "An Inconvenient Truth," we're in
    for "a planetary emergency": melting ice sheets, huge increases in
    sea levels, more and stronger hurricanes, and invasions of tropical
    disease, among other cataclysms--unless we change the way we live now.

    Bill Clinton has become the latest evangelist for Mr. Gore's gospel,
    proclaiming that current weather events show that he and Mr. Gore
    were right about global warming, and we are all suffering the
    consequences of President Bush's obtuseness on the matter. And why
    not? Mr. Gore assures us that "the debate in the scientific
    community is over."

    That statement, which Mr. Gore made in an interview with George
    Stephanopoulos on ABC, ought to have been followed by an asterisk.
    What exactly is this debate that Mr. Gore is referring to? Is there
    really a scientific community that is debating all these issues and
    then somehow agreeing in unison? Far from such a thing being over,
    it has never been clear to me what this "debate" actually is in the
    first place...
    - -
    So what, then, is one to make of this alleged debate? I would
    suggest at least three points.
    First, nonscientists generally do not want to bother with
    understanding the science. Claims of consensus relieve policy types,
    environmental advocates and politicians of any need to do so. Such
    claims also serve to intimidate the public and even
    scientists--especially those outside the area of climate dynamics.
    Secondly, given that the question of human attribution largely
    cannot be resolved, its use in promoting visions of disaster
    constitutes nothing so much as a bait-and-switch scam. That is an
    inauspicious beginning to what Mr. Gore claims is not a political
    issue but a "moral" crusade.

    Lastly, there is a clear attempt to establish truth not by
    scientific methods but by perpetual repetition. An earlier attempt
    at this was accompanied by tragedy. Perhaps Marx was right. This
    time around we may have farce--if we're lucky.
    Mr. Lindzen is the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science
    at MIT.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060705111127/http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008597

- -
We may learn more about Lindzen at DeSmogBlog
https://www.desmogblog.com/richard-lindzen

Including Fossil Fuel Funding
As part of a March 2018 legal case between the cities of San Francisco
and Oakland and fossil fuel companies, Lindzen was asked by the judge to
disclose any connections he had to connected parties.]

In response, Lindzen reported that he had received $25,000 per year for
his position at the Cato Institute since 2013. He also disclosed $1,500
from the Texas Public Policy Foundation for a "climate science lecture"
in 2017, and approximately $30,000 from Peabody Coal in connection to
testimony Lindzen gave at a proceeding of the Minnesota Public Utilities
Commissions in September 2015....