[TheClimate.Vote] March 6, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Mar 6 09:42:25 EST 2020

/*March 6, 2020*/

[Continuing question]
*How can we cope with climate change anxiety?*
Our planet is heading towards a global environmental catastrophe and we
must stay motivated to make a difference no matter what the future
holds, says Neil Levy

We are living in a unique moment in history. This isn't like a war or an
economic recession, where you know things will probably be bad for a few
years but hopefully will improve. Never before have we known that the
deterioration of not just our countries, but our entire planet, will
continue for the foreseeable future - no matter what we do. As David
Attenborough says, we can (and should) fight to slow the rate at which
things get worse, even though we can't realistically hope for improvement.

We can't hide from the fact that Attenborough's opinion reflects
mainstream science. Even if we halted carbon emissions tomorrow, a
significant degree of future warming is already baked in. Under the most
likely scenarios, we're set for warming of 1.5C or much more.

The consequences are dire. If we succeed in limiting warming to 1.5C, we
will still have sea level rises of around half a metre, killer heatwaves
and drought in many parts of the world - leading to a decrease in
agricultural productivity. We can expect mass migrations, death and
destruction as a result, with many parts of the world becoming
uninhabitable.

So how do you cope with this knowledge? The question is all the more
difficult when we confront the inevitable guilt: we are all complicit
with the sclerotic political system that has failed to address the
crisis, and we all contribute to carbon emissions. Few of us can say
that we have...

Weirdly, the knowledge of decline may help some people to cope with the
guilt. If things will get worse no matter what we do, then why do
anything? This "doomism" may be promoted by fossil fuel interests, to
limit real action. Given that what we do today can make a difference to
what happens in 2100 or later, though, we shouldn't give in to this
temptation.

Another source of resignation might be that many people who try to fight
climate change have rather selfish reasons for caring. Some may only
care for their own children, or how the problems will affect their own
country. But the climate crisis requires true altruism and real
sacrifices. Are we even capable of that?

It is fashionable in some circles to deny that genuine altruism exists.
Whether based on the perception that selfless behaviour is selected
against by evolution, or merely cynicism, many thinkers have argued that
all our actions are motivated by self-interest. Perhaps we give to
charity because it makes us feel better about ourselves. Perhaps we
recycle for social status.
But your question shows the problem with such arguments. Like you, many
of us feel desolate about the inevitable harms the world will face when
we are gone - suggesting that we care for future generations for their
sake and not just for our own.

I have no personal stake in the world after my death. I don't have
children and I don't have hopes of leaving a legacy. If I'm lucky, I may
live out my life in middle-class comfort, relatively untouched by the
upheavals that are guaranteed already to be underway elsewhere. When
they hit closer to home, I may already be dead. So why should I care?
But I do, and so do you.

The philosopher Samuel Scheffler has argued that if we were told that
humanity would become extinct immediately after our own deaths - but
without affecting the quality or duration of our life - we would be
devastated and our lives would lose meaning.

For example, imagine living in the world of PD James' dystopian novel,
The Children of Men. Here, mass infertility means the last children have
been born and the human race faces extinction as the population
gradually ages and diminishes. It's a thought experiment, considering
what society would look like if there were no generations to follow us
and no future - and it's a vision of despair.

Long-term thinking

Contemplating inevitable decline reveals that we care not only that
humanity continues to exist long after we are gone, but that we care
about whether it flourishes - even in the far future.

Consider those behind the construction of the towering cathedrals of the
medieval age. They were often built over more than a generation, so many
of those who began work on them never survived to see their project
completed. But that didn't stop them drawing the plans, laying the
foundations or labouring over their walls. The cathedrals were for the
future, not just the now. Dealing with the climate crisis may require
similar long-term thinking...
So while the knowledge of climate destruction may sap motivation and
induce anxiety, a long-term perspective could also turn out to be
motivating. With a firmer grasp of what's at stake, it is possible that
we will be energised to do what we can to ensure that life a century -
or more - from now is better than it might otherwise have been.

Because one thing is given. If you are locked in a state of guilt, shame
and depression, you may be incapable of mustering motivation. Sure, the
Antarctic ice sheets won't melt any slower because you recycle. But
consider this: if you can inspire just a few people to lead greener
lives, they may, in turn, inspire others - and so forth.

People are capable of caring and billions of caring people together can
make a difference, as we have seen with the huge climate strikes all
over the world. Together, we can force governments and corporations to
make the changes needed to slow the rate at which things get worse.

Whether we are going to be able to shed as many selfish desires as
necessary to even just slow global warming remains to be seen. Perhaps
it takes a unique moment in history just as this to work out how far
humans are capable of going for the greater good. The answer may
surprise us.

Neil Levy is a senior research fellow at the Uehiro Centre for Practical
Ethics at the University of Oxford. This article first appeared on The
Conversation
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/climate-change-crisis-anxiety-how-to-cope-tips-david-attenborough-a9374316.html

[Dallas News]
*Rice University professor pokes Houston's energy elite with climate
change warnings*
'I'm saying things that other people are not saying,' says 72-year-old
Jim Blackburn.

    Climate change is an existential threat to Houston, putting both its
    physical survival and its economic future in real danger.

    In his Texas twang, Blackburn, a 72-year-old native of the Rio
    Grande Valley, warns that the Army Corps' coastal barrier is
    insufficient. The region's flood maps are wrong, making new
    infrastructure, designed to last decades, obsolete the day it's
    finished. Renewable energy is getting cheaper, and climate activists
    are getting louder. Without creative thinking, the fossil fuel
    industry will collapse, and Houston will turn into a warmer, wetter
    rust belt.

    He's backed by hydrologists, weather modelers, engineers, and
    ecologists, at Rice University and elsewhere, who produce a steady
    stream of terrifying research. The main takeaway is that the state's
    politicians and businesses are still operating on data from the past
    century, an era before the weather went berserk...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/energy/2020/03/05/rice-university-professor-pokes-houstons-energy-elite-with-climate-change-warnings/

[a very big deal]
*The Congo rainforest is losing ability to absorb carbon dioxide. That's
bad for climate change.*
By Daniel Grossman
March 4, 2020
Scientists have determined that trees in the Congo Basin of central
Africa are losing their capacity to absorb carbon dioxide, raising
alarms about the health of the world's second-largest contiguous
rainforest and its ability to store greenhouse gases linked to climate
change.

A study published Wednesday in the journal Nature found that some sites
in the Congo Basin showed signs of weakened carbon uptake as early as
2010, suggesting that the decline in Africa may have been underway for a
decade.

Increasing heat and drought is believed to be stifling the growth of the
trees in the African rainforest, a phenomenon previously noted in the
Amazon. The new data provides the first large-scale evidence that
tropical rainforests around the world that have been untouched by
logging or other human activity are losing their potency to fight
climate change...
- - -
The findings contradict models used by the Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change and governments around the world, which predicted that
the Congo rainforest would continue to absorb carbon for many decades to
come...
- - -
The new Nature paper combines the work of researchers and field
assistants who studied 135,625 trees at 244 African plots in 11
countries with data that, in some cases, goes back to the 1960s. It
concludes that, on average, African trees absorbed the same amount of
carbon dioxide for two decades through 2014. But a subset of trees began
to lose their capacity to absorb carbon as early as 2010...
- - -
Researchers have already documented a reduction in carbon uptake in the
Amazon rainforest. In a 2015 paper also published in Nature, scientists
found that intact Amazon jungle absorbed 30 percent less carbon in the
2000s than in the 1990s. The new study finds that Africa is lagging only
10 or 20 years behind the Amazon. Hubau says central African forests are
cooler than those in the Amazon, a factor that has delayed the impact of
rising temperatures.

"This carbon sink is turning off far earlier than even the most
pessimistic of these climate models," Lewis said.

Now, "we'll have to cut emissions faster than expected," said Betts, of
the Hadley Centre.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/the-congo-rainforest-is-losing-its-ability-to-absorb-carbon-dioxide-thats-bad-for-climate-change/2020/03/03/3363d218-5ca9-11ea-9055-5fa12981bbbf_story.html
- - -
[Read the source paper in Nature]
*Asynchronous carbon sink saturation in African and Amazonian tropical
forests*
Structurally intact tropical forests sequestered about half of the
global terrestrial carbon uptake over the 1990s and early 2000s,
removing about 15 per cent of anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions...
- -
In summary, our results indicate that although intact tropical forests
remain major stores of carbon and are key centres of biodiversity11,
their ability to sequester additional carbon in trees is waning...
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2035-0.epdf?referrer_access_token=8W0dOph_0mqLfO_dElsGLNRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0NOJ2x2BsrUNZyzCBuuL0UUqQjPW2euF71wbnss7bZVT9v6LL9ozoshuVueGwe1ycUdLQUQBJpGc7F0qT_nWI0LCnR02JSe1dmyOcJorP-zBCRHe9OV4z6vF2iYzqpi9QGGv4KvXLb9ZUf9v2ZbJKFmm2b-Xg2oAW0vaRW3hTd6yl1wADfi7O9ACZgUhIwe50e2tN6B2AjUWn9fBIX-HEUa8KKCt83rJMPBVOWAo1QE9IOxuggTVQjW2K_Y3HDB-j8sCkW5n6Dg8h5-cde24VL17DPHVpI8VPo0Yj2g_CD0o8eTBxrKS9CbqAi-fN6KZvR7V0mHgeTwglruJGqv8eGfvwMGUOxA3IKzQDZMnSjEXY5lUjKcSKKgkzD9YGOTegbvpvTCraMP9kRSRGrG2IWx&tracking_referrer=www.washingtonpost.com

*On this day in the history of global warming  - March 6 *

March 6, 2001: EPA Administrator Christine Todd Whitman sends a memo to
President George W. Bush urging him to demonstrate leadership on climate
change. The memo is summarily ignored.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/onpolitics/transcripts/whitmanmemo032601.htm