[TheClimate.Vote] March 18, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Mar 18 09:48:12 EDT 2020

/*March 18, 2020*/

[making change]
*Climate activism in the time of coronavirus*
by Ben Geman
Social distancing is forcing advocacy movements to adjust their tactics,
creating new hurdles for climate activists who use mass protests and
on-the-ground organizing as important tools.

Why it matters: Climate change has risen on the political radar in
recent years. There are many reasons behind this, including the success
of the Greta Thunberg-inspired protests and a burst of confrontational
advocacy in the U.S. by the youth-led Sunrise Movement.

But even long before that, environmental groups have for decades used
tactile organizing -- think door-knocking, lobbying days and so forth --
for issue-based campaigns and work in political races.
Driving the news: Those techniques are suddenly off the table. Thunberg
recently said via Twitter that "we'll have to find new ways" to advocate
and announced plans for "digital strikes."

Other examples are emerging. Consider the movement to push banks to stop
financing coal and petroleum projects. The umbrella group, Stop The
Money Pipeline, canceled April 23 rallies and says it's "pivoting to a
series of online and individual tactics."
Threat level: Digital advocacy has long been a piece of the advocates'
toolbox, but smart organizers have also long understood that it's a
complement to on-the-ground work -- not a substitute.

The big picture: "Over the last decade, the climate movement has become
a movement through mass action," veteran organizer Jamie Henn tells me,
citing everything from marches to civil disobedience to house parties
and potlucks.

"There's no doubt that something is lost when you take that activity
online," adds Henn, who works with the recently formed Stop The Money
Pipeline group and co-founded 350.org.
What's next: "This is a moment that demands creativity and thinking
outside the box," says Pete Maysmith of the League of Conservation
Voters. "The climate crisis is not slowing down and our efforts to
combat it are not going to slow down either."

"It is pulling out all the tools in our toolbox. That means phone calls,
texting, and peer-to-peer and online organizing," says Maysmith, the
group's SVP of campaigns.
Maysmith lists efforts like online trainings, letter writing, and email
campaigns. "We are just going to be engaging people in all the ways we
can figure out."
Henn adds that Stop The Money Pipeline will provide tools to people to
help them pressure financial institutions. "That means helping people
move their money, cut up a bad credit card, tweet at CEOs, call
corporate HQs, and connect with other activists in their area."
The bottom line: "The moment we're in requires a different sort of
activism," Henn says.
https://www.axios.com/climate-activism-during-coronavirus-outbreak-418a3e28-08d9-4201-9efe-ce9a27ebcce5.html

[realistic discussion economics video]
*Uncharted Territory: Nate Hagens view on how the coronavirus could
affect the economy.*
Mar 17, 2020
postcarboninstitute
PCI Executive Director Asher Miller speaks with Nate Hagens on the near-
and long-term implications of COVID-19 on the financial system, energy,
and the overall economy. This was recorded on March 16, 2020.

Nate is the co-founder of Institute for the Study of Energy and the
Future, an adjunct professor at University of Minnesota, and a Fellow at
Post Carbon Institute. After leaving his job on Wall Street, Nate got a
PhD in Ecological Economics and was the long-time editor of the popular
energy analysis website, The Oil Drum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt5dsD1z1R4

[opinion in the Guardian]
*Coronavirus gives us a terrifying glimpse of the future - and
highlights a chilling paradox*
Jeff Sparrow
Capitalism must expand or lapse into crisis. But perpetual growth pits
humanity against nature
he structural similarities between Australia's two 2020 emergencies
means that coronavirus offers a terrifying glimpse of the future,
allowing us to see what might happen as catastrophic manifestations of
climate change - such as prolonged bushfires - become commonplace.

In December masks didn't protect from air pollution, any more than
toilet paper wards off Covid-19 today. But, as the skies in Sydney and
Melbourne and Canberra turned yellow from carcinogenic smoke, after
years of public policy failing the most vulnerable, much of the public
no longer trusted the government.

If you could afford a fancy air purification system - or if you could
flee to a Hawaiian beach - you could breathe freely. If you couldn't,
you scrambled to get a cheap face mask … because what other choice did
you have?

It's increasingly clear that Scott Morrison's disastrous reaction to the
2019-20 bushfire season prefigured a deeper ineptitude.

"Going to be a great summer of cricket," the PM tweeted at the height of
the blazes, "and for our firefighters and fire-impacted communities, I'm
sure our boys will give them something to cheer about."

The same priorities led him to insist briefly that he would attend an
NRL match last Saturday, even after he'd issued a ban on non-essential
public gatherings of more than 500 people the following week.

But, in many ways, Morrison represents merely a local manifestation of a
rottenness apparent everywhere, with the highest offices the world over
filled with weak, shallow leaders who govern by spin and bluster, and
cannot address any issue of substance.
Scientists warned that Australia would be particular susceptible to a
changing climate that would bring a longer and more intense fire season.
Morrison waved a lump of coal at his parliamentary opponents.

In 2018 the World Health Organization predicted a threat from what it
called "Disease X", on the basis that "a serious international epidemic
could be caused by a pathogen currently unknown to cause human disease".
At the same time the global pandemic director for America's National
Security Council resigned - and then his entire team was disbanded by
Donald Trump's former national security adviser John Bolton.

Trump, of course, told reporters he took "no responsibility" for cutting
the global health security team - and tweeted: "I encourage you to turn
towards prayer as an act of faith."

The echo of the "thoughts and prayers" sent out by Morrison during the
height of the fires is not accidental.

As the last glacier melts away, a politician somewhere will be clasping
his hands together, simply because "thoughts and prayers" offers a
zero-cost alternative to expensive climate action.

Mind you, the problem isn't simply money...
- - -
Indeed, the coronavirus highlights the awful paradox that makes global
heating feel so inevitable.

A pandemic-induced recession will ruin people's lives. If the economy
ceases to grow, some of us will lose jobs and others our homes. Many
more will have to work harder for less pay, abandoning dreams and
ambitions to struggle for bare survival.

Yet a recession almost certainly also means that carbon emissions will
fall, just as they did during the 2008-09 financial crisis.

That's because the economic expansion on which we depend requires that,
each year, industry consumes more and more natural resources.

A healthy economy means a growing economy - and a growing economy makes
demands on the planet that it can no longer sustain.

A slump, by contrast, reduces that pressure.

To be clear, a recession isn't good news, in any way, shape or form.
Aside from anything else, expect governments across the world to now
abandon whatever commitments they've made to long-term decarbonisation
as they scramble to get the wheels of industry turning again.

But you can see the fundamental contradiction on which we're caught.

Capitalism must expand or lapse into crisis. But an economy dependent on
perpetual growth must, at some stage, come into conflict with the limits
of the natural world.

The characteristic ineptitude of today's politicians - the deep
rottenness pervading our societies - reflects, in part, the
impossibility of squaring that circle.

In developing nations, for instance, the relentless expansion of capital
means that cities now encroach more and more on wilderness and peasant
holdings. With factory farming replacing traditional agriculture, viral
outbreaks become more likely. As the evolutionary biologist Rob Wallace
explains:

    Growing genetic monocultures of domestic animals removes whatever
    immune firebreaks may be available to slow down transmission. Larger
    population sizes and densities facilitate greater rates of
    transmission. Such crowded conditions depress immune response. High
    throughput, a part of any industrial production, provides a
    continually renewed supply of susceptibles, the fuel for the
    evolution of virulence.

The emissions pumped into the atmosphere represent another facet of the
same problem: an increasingly obvious incompatibility between economic
and natural cycles.

Scientists tell us that, if we continue on this path, extreme weather
events and other disasters will become more and more common. The
experience of the past weeks shows precisely what that means.

Capitalism pits humanity against nature. It will destroy both, if we let it.
Jeff Sparrow is a Guardian Australia columnist
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/17/coronavirus-gives-us-a-terrifying-glimpse-of-the-future-and-highlights-a-chilling-paradox

*On this day in the history of global warming  - March 18, 2013 *

USA Today reports: "Could the USA deal with a Hurricane Katrina every
two years? Such a scenario is possible by the end of the century due to
climate change, according to a study published Monday in the Proceedings
of the National Academy of Sciences."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/03/18/storm-surge-hurricane-climate-change-global-warming/1997113/