[TheClimate.Vote] March 28, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Mar 28 09:03:22 EDT 2020

/*March 28, 2020*/

[FEWS NET Famine Early Warning Systems Network]
Global Weather Hazards
*Desert locust swarms continue to spread into the Horn of Africa while
parts of East Africa remain flooded*
March 27, 2020 to April 2, 2020
https://fews.net/global/global-weather-hazards/march-27-2020

[NYTimes Opinion]
*What the Coronavirus Means for Climate Change*
Lockdowns and distancing won't save the world from warming. But amid
this crisis, we have a chance to build a better future...
By Meehan Crist
- - -
There is a world in which stimulus measures could outweigh short-term
impacts on energy and emissions, driving emissions up over the long
term. This is what happened in China after the 2008 global economic
crisis. Already, China is indicating that it will relax environmental
supervision of companies to stimulate its economy in response to
coronavirus shutdowns, which means that astonishing 25 percent cut in
carbon emissions could evaporate, followed by even more emissions than
before.

In the United States, we could see similarly shortsighted recovery
packages aiming to ramp up the economy to pre-pandemic levels that
double down on soaring carbon emissions. So far, the American
government's aid legislation has failed to address clean energy or the
climate. The $2 trillion stimulus bill passed by Congress this week, the
largest fiscal stimulus package in modern American history, includes
direct payments to individuals, expanded and extended unemployment
benefits, and $500 billion in loans to bail out affected industries. It
does not include relief for renewables, such as crucial tax credit
extensions for solar and wind.

This isn't likely to be the last stimulus. Already, there is talk of the
next phase of economic relief, and climate and clean energy advocates
are looking to future legislation that might aim to relieve specific
industries.

The two biggest wild cards for climate going forward are how
policymakers respond to the threat of a global recession and how the
pandemic changes political will for climate action around the world.
Prime Minister Andrej Babis of the Czech Republic has already said that
the European Green Deal, a new policy package that commits European
Union member states to zero emissions by 2050, should be set aside so
that countries can focus on fighting the pandemic.

This week has seen a chilling shift in conservative rhetoric around the
virus that echoes all-too-familiar patterns of climate denialism,
suggesting that a more dangerous sort of transference is taking place.
As the climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe wrote on Twitter, "The six
stages of climate denial are: It's not real. It's not us. It's not that
bad. It's too expensive to fix. Aha, here's a great solution (that
actually does nothing). And -- oh no! Now it's too late. You really
should have warned us earlier."
- -
A best-case outcome might include a rethinking of the social contract
that helps protect and provide for the most vulnerable members of
society at a time of increasing risk. We need to ask:
What does a government owe to its people? The climate crisis has already
demonstrated that the way our societies and economies are organized is
unsustainable on a planet of finite resources. And as people face
increasing and unevenly distributed climate risk, it is reasonable to
wonder what sort of support we can expect from our government. When your
community is in crisis, how will your government respond? The pandemic
is a gut-wrenching reality check.

The crushing blows of the coronavirus pandemic, like those of the
climate crisis, will be felt hardest by our most vulnerable populations
-- the poor, the elderly, the homeless, the stateless, the incarcerated,
and the precariously employed -- while international corporations driven
by the logics of profit and endless growth to seek new markets, cheap
labor, and what the sociologist Jason Moore has called "cheap nature,"
thereby connecting the world and helping create the conditions for
crisis, will most likely remain relatively protected.

The new coronavirus spread through the activity of global markets, and
it remains to be seen whether we can respond to this crisis without
relying on and reinforcing the same market logics that got us into this
mess. Rather, to face the profound challenges of pandemics -- of which
this coronavirus will not be the last -- as well as the threat of
climate change, to survive and even flourish on this interconnected
planet, we have to learn to subordinate the needs of the market to our
own needs.
It is tempting to say that humans are a pox on the Earth. That where we
recede, nature rebounds. When images of dolphins and swans supposedly
appearing in newly clear Venice canals popped up on social media, it was
easy to believe (though it was not entirely true) that the virus had
forced people indoors and "nature" had recovered in our absence. This is
the wrong climate lesson to take from the pandemic.

Humans are part of nature, not separate from it, and human activity that
hurts the environment also hurts us. In China, just two months of
reduced pollution is likely to have saved the lives of 4,000 children
under the age of 5 and 73,000 adults over the age of 70, writes Marshall
Burke, an assistant professor in Stanford's earth system science
department. Perhaps the real question is not whether the virus is "good"
or "bad" for climate, or whether rich people will take fewer airplane
flights, but whether we can create a functioning economy that supports
people without threatening life on Earth, including our own.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/opinion/sunday/coronavirus-climate-change.html

[Fast Company]
*Coronavirus shows how to fight disinformation about climate change*
Americans have stayed vigilant against conspiracy theories about
coronavirus. Experts say there are lessons for how we deal with climate
change.
BY JEREMY DEATON
With both coronavirus and climate change, misconceptions abound. In each
instance, people have downplayed the impact or blamed China, and many
believe that news outlets are exaggerating the threat.

But with coronavirus, news outlets and tech companies have done a much
better job of quashing misinformation, experts say, which could provide
lessons on how to fight conspiracy theories about climate change.
We're responding to this rapidly evolving situation, and we'll continue
to review the Twitter Rules in the context of COVID-19 and make changes
as necessary.
"The big difference between coronavirus and climate change is that
people's bullshit detectors are on high alert on this issue compared to
climate change," says John Cook, a cognitive psychologist at the George
Mason University Center for Climate Change Communication and co-author
of a new handbook on how to debunk conspiracy theories. "They just have
a much lower tolerance for misinformation--both the public and the media."

Here are the big takeaways.

*CORONAVIRUS IS AN URGENT CRISIS. CLIMATE CHANGE HAS TO FEEL THE SAME
WAY FOR PEOPLE TO TAKE MISINFORMATION SERIOUSLY.*
With coronavirus rapidly spreading through the United States, correcting
misinformation has become a matter of life and death. Climate change
doesn't share the same sense of urgency.

"The media have been clamping down on misinformation much harder than
they normally would. The difference is that with coronavirus, it's a
much more immediate threat," Cook says. "It's like climate change on
fast-forward."

Thus, while brand-name news outlets like The New York Times have been
willing to run op-eds skeptical of climate science, they wouldn't do the
same with coronavirus, says Cook's collaborator Stephen Lewandowksy.

"People in The New York Times might develop some edifice inside their
heads that justifies their denial--by appealing to uncertainty or
whatever--but that's very different from saying, 'No one is dying of
coronavirus.' There is a qualitative difference there," says
Lewandowsky, a cognitive psychologist at the University of Bristol and
co-author of the handbook. "That makes it much harder for well-adjusted
people to engage in this nonsense."

With coronavirus, round-the-clock reporting has made the extraordinary
stakes of the pandemic clear, spurring people to be more skeptical of
conspiracy theories. Experts say that news outlets have to do the same
thing with climate change. We take their cues on the scale and urgency
of a problem from the volume of news coverage.

We also learn from the people around us. In response to the grim news
about the coronavirus, Americans are donning masks, stockpiling food and
canceling dinner plans, creating a new norm around the illness, says
Margaret Klein-Solomon, a trained clinical psychologist who now heads
The Climate Mobilization Project. She says we need to take a similar
approach with climate change, treating the issue with the seriousness it
deserves, while staying watchful for misinformation.

"How we evaluate risks is by looking to each other," says Klein-Solomon,
author of Facing the Climate Emergency. "With coronavirus, the social
signaling has been so strong."
*PEOPLE EMBRACE CONSPIRACY THEORIES BECAUSE THEY'RE AFRAID. THE REMEDY
IS TO MAKE THEM FEEL EMPOWERED.*
Where people have bought into conspiracy theories about coronavirus, it
may simply be a defense mechanism, Lewandowsky says. It's easier to
believe the crisis has been orchestrated by a cadre of mustache-twirling
ne'er-do-wells than to accept that it's the result of a chance or some
broader systemic failure. That is true of any vast, unwieldy problem, be
it a quickly spreading virus or a rapidly warming planet.

"Whenever there's a huge, threatening event, some people will resort to
conspiracy theories because--if you can blame this on some evil people
like the Chinese government developing biological weapons--it gives you
a greater sense of control in some funny way," he says.

Crucially, he says, conspiracy theories don't have to be coherent. A
theorist might say that coronavirus is both a hoax and that it was
created by the Chinese. And hardcore believers are happy to brush off
evidence that challenges their theory--if the CDC says that China isn't
responsible for the pandemic, they will say that it must be because the
CDC is in on the conspiracy, Lewandowsky says.

That's why challenging the facts or logic of a conspiracy theory doesn't
always work. In some cases, the best way to fight misinformation is to
empower people, Cook says. For coronavirus, that means telling people
that they can slow the spread of the illness by washing their hands and
staying indoors. For climate change, it could mean encouraging people to
call their congressperson or join a protest.

"If you just talk about a problem without the solutions, people tend to
lose hope. It can paralyze people," he says...
*MISINFORMATION ERODES TRUST IN OFFICIAL ACCOUNTS. DEBUNK CONSPIRACY
THEORIES EARLY AND OFTEN.*
It is crucial to stop conspiracy theories before they spread because,
even when they are debunked, they can have a pernicious effect,
Lewandowsky says.

"What conspiracy theories do demonstrably--that's been shown in
experiments over and over again--is they reduce peoples' trust in an
official account," he says. He points to one study in which people
exposed to a conspiracy theory about the federal government manipulating
unemployment data were less likely to trust local police and local
schools. "You can't run a democracy unless people trust the government,
at least to some extent," he says.

Misinformation can also affect policymaking. Despite warnings from
health experts, elected officials downplayed the extent of the
coronavirus crisis, as did conservative news media. President Trump even
called it a "hoax." Unsurprisingly, the government has been slow to roll
out tests and supply ventilators.

The same can be seen with climate change, where political leaders have
dismissed the warnings of scientists for years. The problem, Lewandowsky
says, is that you can only dismiss the facts for so long. Eventually,
the truth catches up.

"Within the next three weeks, there will be such a massive disaster
unfolding in the U.S., I really don't see how you can avoid that," he
says. "The epidemiologists have been warning us for months about this."

On a more hopeful note, debunking conspiracy theories about coronavirus
may help weaken other conspiracy theories, Cook says, including theories
about climate change. Some public figures are already connecting the dots...
- - -
"If you can debunk one, and a person all of a sudden realizes that it's
wrong, then yes, I would expect them also be responsive to corrections
of other conspiracy theories," Lewandowsky says. "The underlying theme
is that the scientists told us this ahead of time, and if we had
listened we could have done something about it."

Jeremy Deaton writes for Nexus Media, a nonprofit climate change news
service. You can follow him @deaton_jeremy.
https://www.fastcompany.com/90482197/coronavirus-shows-how-to-fight-disinformation-about-climate-change?partner=rss

[PBS video of the science]*
**PBS Report on the 'Doomsday Glacier'*
Mar 26, 2020
Scientists Warning
Lest we forget in the face of the #Coronavirus #pandemic, #ClimateChange
is still happening, and accelerating. It's been predicted for many years
that increased occurrence and rapid spread of pandemics would be one of
the many results of climate change. This one may not have been that, but
it's a taste of things to come.
We are being given a 'wake-up call'.  Will we hear it?  Will we heed
it?  Ordinary people seem to be 'getting it', but governments, and their
primary clients (banks and large corporations) are trying to get us back
to Business As Usual, with its destructive 'growth economic' system that
was put in place by bankers a century ago, and still is manipulated to
benefit the wealthy at the expense of the Earth and human survival.

Worth a watch and a share.  We thank the PBS News Hour for their
allowing us to republish this report for the common welfare of all.
https://youtu.be/F_iYB18jlxQ?t=52

*On this day in the history of global warming - March 28, 2001 *
President George W. Bush says his administration will not honor the
Kyoto Protocol.
http://archives.nbclearn.com/portal/site/k-12/flatview?cuecard=238