[TheClimate.Vote] May 24, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun May 24 09:35:02 EDT 2020

/*May 24, 2020*/

[Opinion and action]
*Facebook Is Taking Down Posts That Cause Imminent Harm -- But Not Posts
That Cause Inevitable Harm*
The social media platform is siding with scientists to stop the spread
of harmful misinformation about the pandemic. If it can do it now, why
wasn't it doing it all along?
In January 2020, Facebook executives began paying attention to a new
coronavirus spreading across the globe. The virus was deadly and highly
contagious, and when the World Health Organization shared guidance about
it, the company's leadership dropped their typically hands-off approach
to misinformation.

"We decided we would remove content that directly contradicted [the WHO]
and could contribute to risk of imminent physical harm," Monika Bickert,
Facebook's head of global policy management, told BuzzFeed News...
- -
When making policy decisions on things like the coronavirus, Facebook
looks mostly to immunologists, doctors, and the medical establishment,
another ex-Facebook employee told BuzzFeed News. "Facebook would be
looking for -- what is the medical consensus, not what is the political
consensus," he said.

In this case, that meant conflict.

And it could get worse for Facebook as President Donald Trump takes
actions that oppose the health establishment's guidance. Earlier this
week, Trump said he was taking hydroxychloroquine, an antimalarial drug
that the Food and Drug Administration had previously warned against
taking outside of a hospital setting. (A study released Friday found the
drug was tied to an increased risk of death among patients taking it.)

Asked about the possibility of removing something Trump said, Bickert
didn't rule it out. "We have removed content from high-profile
individuals, including the president of Brazil and the president of
Madagascar, where statements that they've made have contradicted health
guidance," she said. "Nobody is exempted from this policy."

"Public health is squishy by definition," Kenneth Bernard, an
epidemiologist who's served in the WHO and set up the NSC's health
security office, told BuzzFeed News. "We don't have enough information
and we're dealing with biological organisms that have a variety of

Still, Bernard said Facebook is doing what's necessary, even if it's
messy. "I think that it's irresponsible to allow information under 'free
speech' to go out if it's actually going to directly cause harm," he
said. "This is not an easy problem. I think Facebook is trying. They
don't have a lot to go on."
more at -
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/alexkantrowitz/facebook-coronavirus-misinformation-takedowns

[waste not worry]
*Good news: Americans can freak out about coronavirus and climate change
at the same time*
By Shannon Osaka on May 20, 2020
"Cognitive psychologists talk about a 'finite pool of worry,'" said Ed
Maibach, a professor at George Mason University who studies climate
communication, and one of the authors of the report. "The hypothesis is
that people can only worry about so many things at any one time."
Researchers expected that their respondents -- whose brains were filled
with concerns about COVID-19 -- would have other things on their minds.

There was a sharp drop in concern about climate change following the
2008 financial crisis, which led some experts to speculate that
Americans simply didn't have enough bandwidth to stress over a crashing
economy and an overheated planet. That also coincided with "the climate
denial industry going into hyperdrive," Maibach said. Fossil fuel
companies and conservative groups at the time were spending millions of
dollars attempting to discredit and hamstring mainstream climate science.

But according to the study, the global pandemic and lockdown are not
turning Americans away from the looming problem of climate change. The
latest figures add to a trend of increasing belief in global warming
since 2015, which some have attributed to changing demographics and
impossible-to-ignore consequences of climate change in everyday life --
like record temperatures and record-shattering heat waves around the
world. Maibach said that more than half of Americans see climate change
as a threat to the health of their communities, an increase of 15
percentage points over the past five or six years.

"It's one thing to understand that climate change is real, and it's
threatening polar bears," said Maibach. "It's an entirely different
thing to understand that climate change is real, and it's threatening me
and my children."
https://grist.org/climate/good-news-americans-can-freak-out-about-coronavirus-and-climate-change-at-the-same-time/

[physics opinion]
*World can likely capture and store enough carbon dioxide to meet
climate targets*
by Imperial College London
- -
Carbon capture and storage (CCS) would be used alongside other
interventions such as renewable energy, energy efficiency, and
electrification of the transportation sector.

The IPCC used models to create around 1,200 technology scenarios whereby
climate change targets are met using a mix of these interventions, most
of which require the use of CCS.

Now a new analysis from Imperial College London, published today in
Energy & Environmental Science, suggests that no more than 2,700
Gigatonnes (Gt) of carbon dioxide (CO2) would be sufficient to meet the
IPCC's global warming targets. This is far less than leading estimates
by academic and industry groups of what is available, which suggest
there is more than 10,000 Gt of CO2 storage space globally.

It also found that that the current rate of growth in the installed
capacity of CCS is on track to meet some of the targets identified in
IPCC reports, but that research and commercial efforts should focus on
maintaining this growth while identifying enough underground space to
store this much CO2.

CCS involves trapping CO2 at its emission source, such as fossil-fuel
power stations, and storing it underground to keep it from entering the
atmosphere. Together with other climate change mitigation strategies,
CCS could help the world reach the climate change mitigation goals set
out by the IPCC.
https://phys.org/news/2020-05-world-capture-carbon-dioxide-climate.html

[opinion]
*The continuous whipsawing of climate change policy*
The continuous conflict over climate policy is whipsawing U.S.
environmental policy. Neither side prevails. Policy radically changes
based on the administration in power. This is a stalemate on an issue
that  67 percent of adults believe the U.S. government is not doing
enough to address.
- -
When different administrations ignore the absence of legislative
authority and rely exclusively on executive power or judicial overreach
to issue major policy decisions, those decisions can be easily
overturned by the next administration. Such actions are not governing;
they are whipsawing policy.

Our nation needs to return to a constitutional process in which each
branch of government recognizes the limits of its constitutional
authority. Our Constitution clearly places all legislative power in
Congress. Only Congress can develop the balance between the environment
and our economy that the American people seek. Until Congress acts, the
actions of courts and agencies merely allow us to imagine that we have a
national climate policy. Unfortunately, this illusion only lasts until
the next administration.
https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/498698-the-continuous-whipsawing-of-climate-change-policy

[dance, I say, dance]
*HOT 10 Climate Songs*
MAY 21, 2020
As global temperatures have climbed, so have mentions of climate change
in popular songs. Here are 10 that led the way.
By Kendra Pierre-Louis
- -
SMASH MOUTH
'ALL STAR' (1999)
- -
MOS DEF
'NEW WORLD WATER' (1999)
- -
MELISSA ETHERIDGE
'I NEED TO WAKE UP' (2006)
- -
THOM YORKE
'AND IT RAINED ALL NIGHT' (2006)
- -
PITBULL featuring SENSATO
'GLOBAL WARMING' (2012)
- -
MACY GRAY
'ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS' (2015)
- -
ANOHNI
'4 DEGREES' (2016)
- -
ONEREPUBLIC
'TRUTH TO POWER' (2017)
- -
CHILDISH GAMBINO
'FEELS LIKE SUMMER' (2018)
- -
BILLIE EILISH
'ALL THE GOOD GIRLS GO TO HELL' (2019)
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/21/climate/songs-about-climate-change.html

- - -

[Yours Truly playlist offering 134 music videos]
*Collected Music for Global Warming Anthropocene and changing climate -
playlist*
135 videos 538 views Last updated on Jan 13, 2020
Public
Search for an Anthem for Global Warming - offering this collection of
musical anthems and political and cultural song about our changing
future.  This is the Anthropocene - the era where humans have left their
mark on the world.   We have a huge mess now, and worse problems for our
future.   We have dire science, and now we are on a path of tremendous
self-discovery, why are we so willing to tolerate such self harm?   We
now bring relentless attention to adapting to our mess and figuring out
how to mitigate harm.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU5dY2n3AbGHCgJ9OiDxG5hjY9QYAkQ55

[after 43 min lots of discussion of global warming ramifications]
*Mark Blyth - A Brief History of How We Got Here and Why*
Jul 16, 2019
McMaster Humanities
This lecture is part of the McMaster Department of Philosophy's Summer
School in Capitalism, democratic solidarity, and Institutional design
https://www.solidaritydesign2019.com

This lecture sets out a brief history of two versions of capitalist
software. The first drove the capitalist hardware during the period
known as the Great Compression--1945 to 1980. The second did the same
for the period many refer to as the era of neoliberalism--1980 to 2008.
This lecture describes the bug in the system that crashed the first
version of the capitalist software and the subsequent design of the
neoliberal software. It also describes the bug that led to the 2008
Great Recession, landing us in the current transitional period that we
might describe as the era of neonationalism or Global Trumpism. A key
idea is that the emergence of contemporary populist politics, both
left-wing and right-wing Trumpist variants, are attempts to rewrite the
software of capitalism once again.
https://youtu.be/tJoe_daP0DE

*On this day in the history of global warming - May 24, 2006 *

"An Inconvenient Truth" is released in the United States.
BoxOfficeGuru.com's Gitesh Pandya notes:

"Setting the limited release box office on fire was the global warming
documentary 'An Inconvenient Truth' which opened in only four theaters
but grossed a hefty $367,311. That gave the Al Gore pic a stunning
average of $91,827 per location over four days. Distributed by Paramount
Vantage, the new incarnation of Paramount Classics, Truth collected
$281,330 over the Friday-to-Sunday portion averaging a scorching
$70,332. Total since Wednesday stands at $490,860. Opening this weekend
on multiple screens at a pair of theaters in both New York and Los
Angeles, Truth will add about 60 more playdates on Friday and expand
throughout June hoping to become the dominant doc of the summer."

(Al Gore and director Davis Guggenheim would appear on the June 2, 2006
edition of "EcoTalk" on Air America to discuss the film.)
http://youtu.be/8ZUoYGAI5i0
http://www.boxofficeguru.com/052906.htm
http://blogsofbainbridge.typepad.com/ecotalkblog/2006/06/al_gore_about_a.html
http://blogsofbainbridge.typepad.com/ecotalkblog/2006/06/davis_guggenhei.html