[TheClimate.Vote] November 21, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Nov 21 14:50:52 EST 2020

/*November 21, 2020*/

[clips from Bill McKibben article in the New Yorker]
*When "Creatives" Turn Destructive: Image-Makers and the Climate Crisis*

By Bill McKibben
November 21, 2020...
- -
What's interesting about many of the current P.R. campaigns is that they
don't involve classic climate denial. Outside of the Trump
Administration and the right wing of the Republican Party, that's now a
dead letter. You could no more persuade a Madison Avenue agency to argue
that carbon dioxide is harmless than you could persuade it to argue that
Black lives don't matter. Instead, these campaigns often look for ways
to leverage people's environmental concern in service of precisely the
companies that are causing the trouble...
- -
Did the people making the ads understand the real goal? The account
executives I asked, in e-mails, didn't respond. (B.B.D.O declined to
comment for this story.) At Porter Novelli, my queries were answered by
Maggie Graham, the company's global chief of staff. "As more is learned
about natural gas," she wrote, "the industry is adapting and our role is
to help consumers know about natural gas as it pertains to their
priorities, including environmental issues. As a firm, we continually
assess new research and findings relevant to our clients, so that we can
integrate it into our work." On Thursday, the company announced that it
had finished that assessment, saying, in a statement, "Porter Novelli is
committed to regularly assessing evolving issues, the science that
guides them and their impact on diverse, global audiences. As such, we
have determined our work with the American Public Gas Association is
incongruous with our increased focus and priority on addressing climate
justice--we will no longer support that work beyond 2020." The A.P.G.A.
declined to comment.

That decision is a big deal--and it makes sense. The statement of ethics
of the American Marketing Association instructs, "Do no harm. This means
consciously avoiding harmful actions or omissions by embodying high
ethical standards." According to the Public Relations Society of
America's code of ethics, "We adhere to the highest standards of
accuracy and truth in advancing the interests of those we represent and
in communicating with the public." The standards of practice of the
American Association of Advertising Agencies states, "We will not
knowingly create advertising that contains . . . false or misleading
statements or exaggerations, visual or verbal." At this point, it's
practically impossible to represent the fossil-fuel industry without
violating these canons.
And other people in this class of creatives are starting to recognize
that the situation places new demands on them. In June of last year,
Extinction Rebellion activists, mostly from France and Sweden, were
arrested outside the Cannes Lions annual advertising gathering. "We are
coming back here next year with ten thousand people," an organizer said.
The coronavirus pandemic cancelled that plan, but, a few months later,
more than twenty small agencies signed a pledge to disclose work with
the fossil-fuel industry as a first step toward divesting from those
clients. Solitaire Townsend, the founder of the Futerra agency, which
organized the pledge, said, in an interview, that three hundred firms
have now promised to produce "climate disclosure reports," detailing how
much of their business comes from oil and gas firms. "Most of the big
agencies are pushing back, hard," Townsend told me, this month. "But
every copywriter, ideator, designer, and strategist will have to pick a
side. Creativity isn't neutral."

Townsend added that she's heard every possible justification. "The worst
one is 'We need to put our own house in order first,' from multinational
ad agencies raking in millions of dollars but with a sustainability
strategy appropriate for a kindergarten. That leads to meetings held in
renewably powered offices, with recycled coffee cups and organic
snacks," even as the agencies work on "briefs to extend the influence
and producing capacity of the fossil-fuel industry." She went on, "And
don't get me started on Davos events, with ad execs announcing new
creative partnerships to 'inspire young people to climate action.' The
irony is staggering when you think about it: agencies who won't even
disclose if they work for fossil-fuel clients purporting to motivate the
young people already out on our streets striking for climate action."
(This same dynamic is playing out in the legal profession, where law
students at top schools have come together to rank the nation's top law
firms, and more than six hundred of them have pledged not to work for
firms that represent fossil-fuel companies. Last winter, students
disrupted recruiting events for Paul, Weiss, which represents Exxon, at
Harvard, Yale, and New York University.)

Before the pandemic began, the growing opposition to banks and asset
managers funding fossil fuels led to civil disobedience and protests. (I
was part of a group arrested at a Chase bank branch in Washington, D.C.,
in January.) If next year sees an adequately distributed vaccine, it may
also see that kind of nonviolent action at ad agencies. A newly launched
project, Clean Creatives, is designed to "target precisely the voices
who rent themselves out to the industry," Duncan Meisel, of the N.G.O.
Fossil Free Media, said. (I have volunteered with Meisel in the past,
opposing oil pipelines.) He added, "We know it won't be an easy
fight--they've literally made their careers spinning bad stuff into good
stuff, so we'll have to be on our toes. But every fire and every flood
makes clearer precisely what they're doing--physics simply can't be spun."

Even with that kind of aggressive campaigning, success may depend mostly
on whether the talent itself decides that it wants to keep working for
an industry that's on the wrong side of the century's most urgent issue.
"I very much hope our great-grandkids look back with benign bemusement
on how any creative person could have wasted their talent on an industry
about to become irrelevant. That would be the best possible outcome, as
it presupposes we overcome this monster," Townsend said. "The appalling
alternative would be the creatives of today being considered craven
propagandists for the most destructive industry in human history."

Bill McKibben is a founder of the grassroots climate campaign 350.org
and a contributing writer to The New Yorker. He writes The Climate
Crisis, The New Yorker's newsletter on the environment.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/when-creatives-turn-destructive-image-makers-and-the-climate-crisis

[Summary video]
*Arctic Warming: A Very Bad Positive Feedback Loop*
Nov 16, 2020
TDC
The oceans absorb 90% of the heat from greenhouse gasses, causing
evermore ice to melt.
Watch the full conversation: https://tdc.video/programs/how-earths...
Dr. Jennifer A. Francis: https://www.jenniferafrancis.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgZonRkM7jU

[warmth of alarmism]
*Deep Frozen Arctic Microbes Are Waking Up*
Thawing permafrost is releasing microorganisms, with consequences that
are still largely unknown

By Kimberley R. Miner, Arwyn Edwards, Charles Miller on November 20, 2020

In August 2019, Iceland held a funeral for the Okjökull Glacier, the
first Icelandic glacier lost to climate change. The community
commemorated the event with a plaque in recognition of this irreversible
change and the grave impacts it represents. Globally, glacier melt rates
have nearly doubled in the last five years, with an average loss of 832
mmw.e. (millimeters water equivalent) in 2015, increasing to 1,243
mmw.e. in 2020 (WGMS). This high rate of loss decreases glacial stores
of freshwater and changes the structure of the surrounding ecosystem.

In the last 10 years, warming in the Arctic has outpaced projections so
rapidly that scientists are now suggesting that the poles are warming
four times faster than the rest of the globe. This has led to glacier
melt and permafrost thaw levels that weren't forecast to happen until
2050 or later. In Siberia and northern Canada, this abrupt thaw has
created sunken landforms, known as thermokarst, where the oldest and
deepest permafrost is exposed to the warm air for the first time in
hundreds or even thousands of years...

more at -
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/deep-frozen-arctic-microbes-are-waking-up/

*On this day in the history of global warming - November 21, 2015 *
In a New York Times op-ed, Jeff Biggers observes:

    "Negotiators en route to the United Nations conference on climate
    change in Paris, scheduled to begin later this month, should take a
    detour on rural roads here in Johnson County. A new climate
    narrative is emerging among farmers in the American heartland that
    transcends a lot of the old story lines of denial and cynicism, and
    offers an updated tale of climate hope.

    "Recent polls show that 60 percent of Iowans, now facing flooding
    and erosion, believe global warming is happening. From Winneshiek
    County to Washington County, you can count more solar panels on
    barns than on urban roofs or in suburban parking lots. The state's
    first major solar farm is not in an urban area like Des Moines or
    Iowa City, but in rural Frytown, initiated by the Farmers Electric
    Cooperative.

    "In the meantime, any lingering traces of cynicism will vanish in
    the town of Crawfordsville, where children in the Waco school
    district will eventually turn on computers and study under lights
    powered 90 percent by solar energy. Inspired by local farmers, who
    now use solar energy to help power some of their operations, the
    district's move to solar energy will not only cut carbon emissions
    but also result in enough savings to keep open the town's once
    financially threatened school doors."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/21/opinion/iowas-climate-change-wisdom.html?ref=opinion

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.