[TheClimate.Vote] November 25, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Nov 25 12:14:40 EST 2020

/*November 25, 2020*/

[following money]
*The secret club for billionaires who care about climate change*
BY BEN STEVERMAN - BLOOMBERG
Nov 17, 2020
A few years ago, the hundreds of members of France's Mulliez family,
with a global retail empire worth more than $38 billion, decided they
should take climate change more seriously — or rather, their investment
portfolio should.

But where to start? Climate change and the fight against it could
transform almost every sector of the economy as companies clamor for
ways to cut emissions and even pull carbon dioxide from the air. "This
space is very broad, and it's complicated," says Delphine Descamps,
managing director at Creadev, the Mulliez family office, which has about
€200 million ($236 million) to invest each year.

Then she met Regine Clement, the head of a small, secretive nonprofit
called Creo Syndicate. An exclusive club of climate-focused investors,
Creo's mission is to speed up the flow of capital into investments that
can slow global warming. The group focuses on the richest of the rich,
working with about 200 families and investment outfits with a total of
more than $800 billion under management. Prominent members include
legendary investor Jeremy Grantham and Nat Simons, the son of
Renaissance Technologies' billionaire founder James Simons. Members must
pay dues — a "very reasonable" flat fee, Clement says, that makes up
about half the nonprofit's revenue — and they must prove they're serious
by planning to make their first investment in climate and sustainability
within six months. Members must also have assets of at least $100
million and get approved by the nonprofit's board...
- -
Although it's a nonprofit and doesn't have any money of its own to
deploy, Creo acts a little like an investment bank, vetting about 300
deals per year, connecting investors with possible partners, and
conducting research on technologies. Members have invested in everything
from batteries and hydrogen fuel to regenerative farmland and greener
product packaging. Portfolios include still unproven technologies such
as methods for carbon capture and true long shots like fusion reactors.

Creo members make a wide variety of bets that might make a difference —
and make money. "This is not philanthropy, this is investment," Clement
says. Superwealthy families, she says, have an advantage over other
players: Managing money for future generations, they can afford to wait
a decade or more for investments to bear fruit. Some members in Europe
have been rich for hundreds of years. Families "are naturally inclined
to think long term," she says...
- -
The key to Creo's success, members say, is how it gets very wealthy
investors in the same room — or on the same Zoom call. "You have people
with a decade of experience and people with a month of experience," says
longtime member Reuben Munger, a hedge fund manager who founded Vision
Ridge Partners as his family office and later turned it into an
investment firm. With more than $1 billion under management, it
specializes in sustainable assets.

It helps that families generally aren't trying to pitch to each other
and that Creo makes no fees on any deals. "There's not a lot of hidden
agendas," Zabbal says. Creo has tried to unlock even more capital by
venturing beyond families to large institutional investors that also
want a head start on climate investing. The nonprofit is working with
CDPQ, a Quebec pension fund with $333 billion in assets, which launched
a $500 million investment strategy around climate and sustainability.
The pension's goal is to invest alongside families or firms in
late-stage venture companies. The first deal, announced in September, is
with S2G Ventures, a Chicago firm focused on food and agriculture that's
backed by Lukas Walton. An heir to the Walmart fortune, he has a net
worth estimated to be more than $22 billion by the Bloomberg
Billionaires Index.

Creo members have seen their investments pay off. QuantumScape Corp., a
battery tech company recently valued at $3.3 billion, received early
funding from Prelude Ventures, co-founded by Simons and Capricorn
Investment Group, both Creo members. Participants in the nonprofit also
invested in early rounds of Tesla Inc. and Beyond Meat, two of 2020's
best-performing stocks. This kind of success helps convince skeptical
family members and advisers of what Creo can do.

"The opportunities are tremendous, but it's also overwhelming for
someone who starts out," Zabbal says. "By investing in collaboration
with others who bring expertise, it allows more investors to take the leap."
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/11/17/world/billionaires-climate-change/

[Perfect news for days of feasting]
*Returning the 'three sisters' - corn, beans and squash - to Native
American farms nourishes people, land and cultures*
November 20, 2020 8.15am EST

Historians know that turkey and corn were part of the first
Thanksgiving, when Wampanoag peoples shared a harvest meal with the
pilgrims of Plymouth plantation in Massachusetts. And traditional Native
American farming practices tell us that squash and beans likely were
part of that 1621 dinner too.

For centuries before Europeans reached North America, many Native
Americans grew these foods together in one plot, along with the less
familiar sunflower. They called the plants sisters to reflect how they
thrived when they were cultivated together.

Today three-quarters of Native Americans live off of reservations,
mainly in urban areas. And nationwide, many Native American communities
lack access to healthy food. As a scholar of Indigenous studies focusing
on Native relationships with the land, I began to wonder why Native
farming practices had declined and what benefits could emerge from
bringing them back.

To answer these questions, I am working with agronomist Marshall
McDaniel, horticulturalist Ajay Nair, nutritionist Donna Winham and
Native gardening projects in Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Our research project, "Reuniting the Three Sisters," explores what it
means to be a responsible caretaker of the land from the perspective of
peoples who have been balancing agricultural production with
sustainability for hundreds of years.

Gail Danforth, an Elder of the Oneida Nation in Northeast Wisconsin,
explains "three sisters" gardening.
*Abundant harvests*
Historically, Native people throughout the Americas bred indigenous
plant varieties specific to the growing conditions of their homelands.
They selected seeds for many different traits, such as flavor, texture
and color.

Native growers knew that planting corn, beans, squash and sunflowers
together produced mutual benefits. Corn stalks created a trellis for
beans to climb, and beans' twining vines secured the corn in high winds.
They also certainly observed that corn and bean plants growing together
tended to be healthier than when raised separately. Today we know the
reason: Bacteria living on bean plant roots pull nitrogen - an essential
plant nutrient - from the air and convert it to a form that both beans
and corn can use.

Squash plants contributed by shading the ground with their broad leaves,
preventing weeds from growing and retaining water in the soil. Heritage
squash varieties also had spines that discouraged deer and raccoons from
visiting the garden for a snack. And sunflowers planted around the edges
of the garden created a natural fence, protecting other plants from wind
and animals and attracting pollinators.

Interplanting these agricultural sisters produced bountiful harvests
that sustained large Native communities and spurred fruitful trade
economies. The first Europeans who reached the Americas were shocked at
the abundant food crops they found. My research is exploring how, 200
years ago, Native American agriculturalists around the Great Lakes and
along the Missouri and Red rivers fed fur traders with their diverse
vegetable products.

*Displaced from the land*
As Euro-Americans settled permanently on the most fertile North American
lands and acquired seeds that Native growers had carefully bred, they
imposed policies that made Native farming practices impossible. In 1830
President Andrew Jackson signed the Indian Removal Act, which made it
official U.S. policy to force Native peoples from their home locations,
pushing them onto subpar lands.

On reservations, U.S. government officials discouraged Native women from
cultivating anything larger than small garden plots and pressured Native
men to practice Euro-American style monoculture. Allotment policies
assigned small plots to nuclear families, further limiting Native
Americans' access to land and preventing them from using communal
farming practices.

Native children were forced to attend boarding schools, where they had
no opportunity to learn Native agriculture techniques or preservation
and preparation of Indigenous foods. Instead they were forced to eat
Western foods, turning their palates away from their traditional
preferences. Taken together, these policies almost entirely eradicated
three sisters agriculture from Native communities in the Midwest by the
1930s.

*Reviving Native agriculture*
Today Native people all over the U.S. are working diligently to reclaim
Indigenous varieties of corn, beans, squash, sunflowers and other crops.
This effort is important for many reasons.

Improving Native people's access to healthy, culturally appropriate
foods will help lower rates of diabetes and obesity, which affect Native
Americans at disproportionately high rates. Sharing traditional
knowledge about agriculture is a way for elders to pass cultural
information along to younger generations. Indigenous growing techniques
also protect the lands that Native nations now inhabit, and can
potentially benefit the wider ecosystems around them.

Video https://youtu.be/IooHPLjXi2g
Members of the Indigenous Seed Keepers Network explain the cultural
importance of access to traditional seed varieties.

But Native communities often lack access to resources such as farming
equipment, soil testing, fertilizer and pest prevention techniques. This
is what inspired Iowa State University's Three Sisters Gardening
Project. We work collaboratively with Native farmers at Tsyunhehkw, a
community agriculture program, and the Ohelaku Corn Growers Co-Op on the
Oneida reservation in Wisconsin; the Nebraska Indian College, which
serves the Omaha and Santee Sioux in Nebraska; and Dream of Wild Health,
a nonprofit organization that works to reconnect the Native American
community in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, with traditional Native
plants and their culinary, medicinal and spiritual uses.

We are growing three sisters research plots at ISU's Horticulture Farm
and in each of these communities. Our project also runs workshops on
topics of interests to Native gardeners, encourages local soil health
testing and grows rare seeds to rematriate them, or return them to their
home communities.

The monocropping industrial agricultural systems that produce much of
the U.S. food supply harms the environment, rural communities and human
health and safety in many ways. By growing corn, beans and squash in
research plots, we are helping to quantify how intercropping benefits
both plants and soil.

By documenting limited nutritional offerings at reservation grocery
stores, we are demonstrating the need for Indigenous gardens in Native
communities. By interviewing Native growers and elders knowledgeable
about foodways, we are illuminating how healing Indigenous gardening
practices can be for Native communities and people - their bodies, minds
and spirits.

Our Native collaborators are benefiting from the project through
rematriation of rare seeds grown in ISU plots, workshops on topics they
select and the new relationships they are building with Native gardeners
across the Midwest. As researchers, we are learning about what it means
to work collaboratively and to conduct research that respects protocols
our Native collaborators value, such as treating seeds, plants and soil
in a culturally appropriate manner. By listening with humility, we are
working to build a network where we can all learn from one another.
https://theconversation.com/returning-the-three-sisters-corn-beans-and-squash-to-native-american-farms-nourishes-people-land-and-cultures-149230

[movie on HULU]
*"I Am Greta" isn't About Climate Change. It's About the Elusiveness of
Sanity in an Insane World*
BY JONATHAN COOK - Nov 20, 2020
Erich Fromm, the renowned German-Jewish social psychologist who was
forced to flee his homeland in the early 1930s as the Nazis came to
power, offered a disturbing insight later in life on the relationship
between society and the individual.

In the mid-1950s, his book The Sane Society suggested that insanity
referred not simply to the failure by specific individuals to adapt to
the society they lived in. Rather, society itself could become so
pathological, so detached from a normative way of life, that it induced
a deep-seated alienation and a form of collective insanity among its
members. In modern western societies, where automation and mass
consumption betray basic human needs, insanity might not be an
aberration but the norm...
- -
Our world is not one of the sane versus the insane, but of the less
insane versus the more insane.

Which is why I recommend the new documentary I Am Greta, a very intimate
portrait of the Swedish child environmental activist Greta Thunberg....

    *I Am Greta - Official UK Trailer*
    Sep 17, 2020
    Dogwoof
    In cinemas now: https://www.iamgreta.film
    The story of teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg is told through
    compelling, never-before-seen footage in this documentary following
    her rise to prominence and her global impact as she sparks school
    strikes and protests around the world.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i74n4BUYgHI&feature=emb_logo...

We are in an ideological bubble - and one that will burst as surely as
the financial kind. Thunberg is that still, small voice of sanity
outside the bubble. We can listen to her, without fear, without
reproach, without adulation, without cynicism. Or we can carry on with
our insane games until the bubble explodes.
https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/11/20/i-am-greta-isnt-about-climate-change-its-about-the-elusiveness-of-sanity-in-an-insane-world/

*On this day in the history of global warming - November 25, 2006 *
The Washington Post reports:

    "While the political debate over global warming continues, top
    executives at many of the nation's largest energy companies have
    accepted the scientific consensus about climate change and see
    federal regulation to cut greenhouse gas emissions as inevitable.

    "The Democratic takeover of Congress makes it more likely that the
    federal government will attempt to regulate emissions. The companies
    have been hiring new lobbyists who they hope can help fashion a
    national approach that would avert a patchwork of state plans now in
    the works. They are also working to change some company practices in
    anticipation of the regulation."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/24/AR2006112401361_pf.html

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.