[TheClimate.Vote] October 5, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Oct 5 09:33:25 EDT 2020

/*October 5, 2020*/

[video and text - clips from CBS 60 Minutes]
*The climate science behind this year's wildfires and powerful storms*
Is climate change reversible? Scott Pelley speaks with the "father of
climate science" and others for an answer.
Oct 04 2020
CORRESPONDENT Scott Pelley
At least 31 have died in the largest wildfires in California history.
The east is defending itself against twice the usual number of tropical
cyclones. And what may be the highest temperature ever recorded on Earth
came in August in the United States. It's a torrid 2020 and it was
forecast 32 years ago. In the 1980's, a NASA scientist named James
Hansen discovered that climate change, driven by carbon emissions, was
upon us. His graphs, of three decades ago, accurately traced the global
rise in temperature to the year 2020. Last week, we had a lot of
questions for Hansen. Are these disasters climate change? Do things get
worse? Is it too late to do anything? But before we get to the causes,
let us show you the effects...
- -
California smoke blew more than 2,000 miles to the east and drifted over
the Pennsylvania farm of retired NASA scientist James Hansen. His 1988
paper on carbon and climate accurately predicted temperatures up to the
far-off year of 2020.

James Hansen: Yeah, we're seeing exactly what we expected. But I
expected that governments would be wise enough that they would begin to
adopt policies to preserve the future for young people. But they haven't
done that yet.

Hansen is the father of climate change science. For 32 years he was
director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies. Today, at 79, he
runs the program on climate science at Columbia University.

Scott Pelley: What is your forecast for the next 30 years?

James Hansen: Well, if we don't change anything, then we're going to
continue to see more and more of these extreme regional events because
the physics is quite simple. As you add more greenhouse gases to the
atmosphere, you increase the heating of the surface. So, at the times
and places where it's dry you get more extreme droughts. The fire
seasons become longer. The fires burn hotter. But at the times and
places where it's wet, you get more evaporation of the water. And you
get warmer, moist air, which provides greater rainfall. And it's the
fuel for storms...
- - -
Michael Mann: People ask, are we dealing with a new normal? And the
sobering answer is, that's the best-case scenario. A new normal is the
best-case scenario 'cause that sorta means, well, we've got a new
situation and we just have to learn how to deal with it. But it's much
worse than that. So, there are surprises in store and we're seeing some
of those surprises play out now.

Michael Mann is a geophysicist whose work on past climate showed today's
rate of warming began with the Industrial Revolution. Mann is a
lightning rod for deniers, but his research has been verified again and
again. Mann is director of the Earth System Science Center at Penn State
and a member of the National Academy of Sciences.

Scott Pelley: But there've always been fires in the west. There've
always been hurricanes in the east. How do we know that climate change
is involved in this?...
- -
Michael Mann: Well, there are a number of independent sort of sources of
information, lines of evidence that tell us that this isn't natural,
that this is human-caused. Let's look at the big picture, the warming of
the planet a little less than 2 degrees Fahrenheit warming of the planet
since pre-industrial time. Now, people ask, well, couldn't that happen
naturally? Well, it turns out that if you look at the factors that are
driving natural changes right now -- small but measurable fluctuations
in the brightness of the sun, Volcanic eruptions -- they tell us that
earth should've cooled slightly over the past half-century.

Here's what he means. In that yellow line at bottom, NASA has measured a
steady decline in heat from the sun since the 1950's. But the red line,
the temperature of the Earth, has only increased.

Michael Mann: We can only explain that warming when we include the human
factor of increased greenhouse gas concentrations; in particular, carbon
dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels.

Scott Pelley: Well, the president says about climate change, science
doesn't know.

Michael Mann: The president doesn't know. And he should know better. He
should know that the world's leading scientific organizations, our own
U.S. National Academy of Sciences, and national academies of every major
industrial nation, every scientific society in the United States that's
weighed in on the matter. This is a scientific consensus. There's about
as much scientific consensus about human-caused climate change as there
is about gravity...
- -
Scott Pelley: I did my first climate story more than 20 years ago and I
remember, at the time, being told that there would be terrible fires and
terrible hurricanes in 100 years; that this was a problem for our
great-grandchildren. What changed?

Michael Mann: what we're finding is that many of these changes can
happen faster than we thought they could. We didn't really expect to see
substantial loss of ice from the two major continental ice sheets, the
Greenland Ice Sheet and the Antarctic Ice Sheet. But now, the satellite
measurements and in situ measurements tell us that they're already
losing ice. They're already beginning that process of collapse. It's
already contributing to sea level rise, decades ahead of schedule.

Still, geophysicist Michael Mann told us warming can be stopped. Oceans
and forests would begin to absorb excess carbon in a matter of years if
emissions, principally from coal-fired power plants, are reduced close
to zero. Former NASA scientist James Hansen believes the way to do that
is for governments to tax cheap fossil fuels to make them more expensive
than clean alternatives...
- - -
Scott Pelley: At what point does it become too late?

James Hansen: It becomes too late if you get to the point that you
cannot stop the ice sheet disintegration. That's the biggest point of no
return. We can get to a point where we're going to get several meters of
sea level rise out of our control. That's too late. We would lose our
coastal cities. And more than half of the large cities in the world are
on coastlines.

Scott Pelley: If we don't start to reduce the CO2 in the atmosphere, 50
years from now, someone doing research on this time might look at this
interview and I wonder what you would like to say to them.

Michael Mann: That-- that's a tough question. I would say we did
everything we could and we're sorry. We're sorry that we failed. But I
don't think that's our future. I don't want that to be our future.
That's a possible future. We have to recognize that. The worst visions
that Hollywood has given us of dystopian futures are real possible
futures if we don't act on this problem; the greatest crisis that we
face as a civilization.

Produced by Maria Gavrilovic and Alex Ortiz. Broadcast associate, Ian
Flickinger. Edited by April Wilson.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/western-wilfires-record-temperatures-california-60-minutes-2020-10-04/

[6-minute listen on NPR]
*Washington Gov. Jay Inslee On How To Stay Optimistic On Fighting
Climate Change*
October 4, 2020
- -
On maintaining optimistic

There is progress going on in the United States. We just need to make it
national. That's No. 1.

No. 2, the technology, the rapidity of the technological progress is
incredible. I actually wrote a book about this a decade ago, and I had a
vision that we were going to have technological changes to make electric
cars productive, which they now are becoming cost effective and [have]
huge range. That solar would become cheaper — and wind — than coal that
has happened.

So the technology, the curve of technology is as rapid in clean energy
as it was in computing. And if you see how far we've come since the
first laptop, we're doing the same thing in clean energy.

And the third reason that we need to be optimistic is that it's just the
only effective tool. I think maybe it was Churchill who said, "when
you're going through hell, keep going." And that's what we need to do in
this matter.

Robert Baldwin III and Tinbete Ermyas produced and edited the audio
version of this story.
https://www.npr.org/2020/10/04/920164724/washington-gov-jay-inslee-on-how-to-stay-optimistic-on-fighting-climate-change

[Breakthrough invention for electric power]
*Physicists build circuit that generates clean, limitless power from
graphene*
Researchers harnessed the atomic motion of graphene to generate an
electrical current that could lead to a chip to replace batteries.
October 2, 2020
University of Arkansas
from the atomic motion of graphene, discovering a new source of clean,
limitless power...
- -
A team of University of Arkansas physicists has successfully developed a
circuit capable of capturing graphene's thermal motion and converting it
into an electrical current.

"An energy-harvesting circuit based on graphene could be incorporated
into a chip to provide clean, limitless, low-voltage power for small
devices or sensors," said Paul Thibado, professor of physics and lead
researcher in the discovery.

The findings, published in the journal Physical Review E, are proof of a
theory the physicists developed at the U of A three years ago that
freestanding graphene -- a single layer of carbon atoms -- ripples and
buckles in a way that holds promise for energy harvesting.

The idea of harvesting energy from graphene is controversial because it
refutes physicist Richard Feynman's well-known assertion that the
thermal motion of atoms, known as Brownian motion, cannot do work.
Thibado's team found that at room temperature the thermal motion of
graphene does in fact induce an alternating current (AC) in a circuit,
an achievement thought to be impossible.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/10/201002091029.htm
- -
*Physicists build circuit that generates clean, limitless power from
graphene*
In the 1950s, physicist Leon Brillouin published a landmark paper
refuting the idea that adding a single diode, a one-way electrical gate,
to a circuit is the solution to harvesting energy from Brownian motion.
Knowing this, Thibado's group built their circuit with two diodes for
converting AC into a direct current (DC). With the diodes in opposition
allowing the current to flow both ways, they provide separate paths
through the circuit, producing a pulsing DC current that performs work
on a load resistor.

*video graphene animation* https://youtu.be/KiLTEjm8zLw

Additionally, they discovered that their design increased the amount of
power delivered. "We also found that the on-off, switch-like behavior of
the diodes actually amplifies the power delivered, rather than reducing
it, as previously thought," said Thibado. "The rate of change in
resistance provided by the diodes adds an extra factor to the power."

The team used a relatively new field of physics to prove the diodes
increased the circuit's power. "In proving this power enhancement, we
drew from the emergent field of stochastic thermodynamics and extended
the nearly century-old, celebrated theory of Nyquist," said coauthor
Pradeep Kumar, associate professor of physics and coauthor.
https://phys.org/news/2020-10-physicists-circuit-limitless-power-graphene.html

[Hot ground]
*Geothermal ground source heat pumps. Heating your home from your own
back yard!*
Oct 4, 2020
Just Have a Think
Geothermal energy could be potentially transformational for our power
grids, as we saw in our last video. But you and I can also get in on the
act by drawing our own domestic heating from beneath our gardens (or
communal gardens if you live in an apartment block). The technology is
called a Ground Source Heat Pump. They've been around for a while but
they are growing very quickly in popularity and may prove to be one of
the lynch pins in helping us get to carbon neutrality by 2050.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jCHYUuEDZ8

[about proxy data]
*How Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity is WORSE than Expected; Dependent
on Initial Temperature: 1 of 3*
Oct 4, 2020
Paul Beckwith
Part 1: I chat in detail in a three video series on how today’s climate
and rate of change of climate related to the Eocene and PETM
(Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum). Despite recent advances, the link
between evolution of atmospheric CO2 and climate during the Eocene
greenhouse period remains unclear. Modelling studies suggest that to
achieve the global warmth that characterised the early Eocene, warmer
climates must be more sensitive to CO2 forcing than colder climates. In
other words, climate sensitivity (temperature vs CO2 level) depends on
the starting conditions. In the new peer-reviewed paper that I discuss,
they test this assertion in the geological record by combining a new
high-resolution boron isotope-based CO2 record with novel estimates of
Global Mean Temperature. They find that Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity
(ECS) was indeed higher during the warmest intervals of the Eocene,
agreeing well with recent model simulations, and declined through the
Eocene as global climate cooled. These observations indicate that the
canonical IPCC range of ECS (1.5 to 4.5 C per doubling) is unlikely to
be appropriate for high-CO2 warm climates of the past, and the state
dependency of ECS may play an increasingly important role in determining
the state of future climate as the Earth continues to warm. In other
words, we are fucked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReSapwEn9eA

[emergency responses - article and audio]
*Global demand for U.S. military assistance increasing as weather grows
more extreme*
The military often provides aid when a weather disaster or humanitarian
crisis strikes.
When a natural disaster or humanitarian crisis strikes, the U.S.
military often helps provide critical aid. And as weather becomes more
extreme, the need for that assistance is growing.

“The demand for American military resources to help out in humanitarian
disasters is increasing year by year,” says Lee Gunn, a retired Navy
vice admiral and vice chair of the CNA Military Advisory Board, which
assesses potential national security threats.

He says storms are not the only threat. Slow-moving disasters can also
lead to major crises.

In southeast Asia, warming oceans are affecting fish habitats, making
fishing more difficult. And rising seas are pushing more saltwater
inland, which can disrupt rice agriculture. Gunn says these impacts
threaten the region’s economy and food security.

“These stresses are going to lead far more often to humanitarian
disasters,” he says.

And that could become a concern for the U.S. military.
https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2020/09/global-demand-for-u-s-military-assistance-growing-as-weather-grows-more-extreme/
“Because we care about the people around the world and we care about the
stability that we’re able to provide that facilitates international
trade … and these thriving communities everywhere,” he says.

*On this day in the history of global warming - October 5, 1988 *

Texas Senator Lloyd Bentsen (D) and Indiana Senator Dan Quayle (R)
discuss global warming in the Vice Presidential debate, with both men
agreeing that the problem must be addressed during the next four years;
Bentsen suggests that natural gas and ethanol might be alternatives to
oil dependence.

http://youtu.be/99-v2Farbjs - (49:33-52:45)

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.