[TheClimate.Vote] October 11, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Oct 11 08:00:28 EDT 2020

/*October 11, 2020*/

[campaign ad video talks climate change]
*Cherries | Joe Biden For President 2020*
Oct 3, 2020
https://youtu.be/0d0Pr2Iee8g

[no surprise]
*17-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg endorses Joe Biden*
https://www.businessinsider.com/climate-change-activist-greta-thunberg-endorses-biden-2020-10

[do the math]
*Why climate change is a time bomb*
Bryan Walsh, author of Future
The costs of keeping global warming below 1.5C would exceed the economic
benefits up through the year 2100, according to a new study.

Why it matters: One of the biggest challenges to climate action is time
delay: we need to pay now to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but we
won't experience the full benefits of those actions for generations into
the future.

By the numbers: In the study, published in PLOS One, researchers project
keeping warming below 1.5C would result in a net loss to the global
economy of approximately $40 trillion through 2100, compared to policies
that would keep warming to 2C.

That's because "transitioning from energy-dense fossil fuels back to
more dilute and intermittent renewable sources of energy like solar and
wind requires more in terms of land, human time and machinery to produce
the same amount of energy," Patrick Brown, a climate scientist and a
co-author of the paper, tweeted.
That lowers general economic well-being, which in turns tends to fall
hardest on the poorest in the world.
Between the lines: By the 22nd century, however, as the potential
effects of climate change continue to compound, the benefits of stronger
climate action begin to exceed the economic costs.

By 2300, the researchers calculate the net benefits would reach
thousands of trillions of dollars.
The big picture: Because CO2 warms the atmosphere for decades to
centuries, there's a built in time delay to the physics of climate
change that in turn reinforces political obstacles to action.

When we pay to reduce carbon emissions now, the full effects aren't felt
until the future, which means the present generation has to sacrifice to
help save the next ones.
Yes, but: The authors admit climate change will have major costs that
are difficult to fit into an economic model, like widespread
biodiversity loss, while cutting carbon emissions could have more
immediate co-benefits beyond climate change, like reducing toxic levels
of air pollution.

The bottom line: There are many reasons why climate change is considered
a wicked problem, but its time delay is one of the wickedest.
https://www.axios.com/climate-change-time-bomb-aa86ec80-5b15-4708-a4bd-1962d77dfaef.html
- -
[source material]
*Approximate calculations of the net economic impact of global warming
mitigation targets under heightened damage estimates*
Patrick T. Brown ,Harry Saunders
Published: October 7, 2020 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0239520
*Abstract*

    Efforts to mitigate global warming are often justified through
    calculations of the economic damages that may occur absent
    mitigation. The earliest such damage estimates were speculative
    mathematical representations, but some more recent studies provide
    empirical estimates of damages on economic growth that accumulate
    over time and result in larger damages than those estimated
    previously. These heightened damage estimates have been used to
    suggest that limiting global warming this century to 1.5 C avoids
    tens of trillions of 2010 US$ in damage to gross world product
    relative to limiting global warming to 2.0 C. However, in order to
    estimate the net effect on gross world product, mitigation costs
    associated with decarbonizing the world's energy systems must be
    subtracted from the benefits of avoided damages. Here, we follow
    previous work to parameterize the aforementioned heightened damage
    estimates into a schematic global climate-economy model (DICE) so
    that they can be weighed against mainstream estimates of mitigation
    costs in a unified framework. We investigate the net effect of
    mitigation on gross world product through finite time horizons under
    a spectrum of exogenously defined levels of mitigation stringency.
    We find that even under heightened damage estimates, the additional
    mitigation costs of limiting global warming to 1.5 C (relative to
    2.0 C) are higher than the additional avoided damages this century
    under most parameter combinations considered. Specifically, using
    our central parameter values, limiting global warming to 1.5 C
    results in a net loss of gross world product of roughly forty
    trillion US$ relative to 2 C and achieving either 1.5 C or 2.0 C
    require a net sacrifice of gross world product, relative to a
    no-mitigation case, though 2100 with a 3%/year discount rate.
    However, the benefits of more stringent mitigation accumulate over
    time and our calculations indicate that stabilizing warming at 1.5 C
    or 2.0 C by 2100 would eventually confer net benefits of thousands
    of trillions of US$ in gross world product by 2300. The results
    emphasize the temporal asymmetry between the costs of mitigation and
    benefits of avoided damages from climate change and thus the long
    timeframe for which climate change mitigation investment pays off.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0239520

[measured optimism of TED video of 6 hours]
*[Full livestream] Watch the Countdown Global Launch, a call to action
on climate change*
TED
This virtual event, streamed free on 10.10.2020, is the Global Launch of
Countdown, a new initiative to accelerate solutions to the climate
crisis. Watch five curated sessions packed with more than 50 speakers,
activists, actors and musicians, who share actionable and science-backed
ideas, paired with moments of wonder, inspiration and optimism.
Presented by TED and Future Stewards.

Learn how you can take action on climate change and join the race to a
zero-carbon world:
#JoinTheCountdown
Website: https://countdown.ted.com
- - -
about cement https://youtu.be/5dVcn8NjbwY?t=15856 - Solidia Technologies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dVcn8NjbwY

[true-cost accounting]
*The true cost of wildfire*
Bill Gabbert
It is more than simply dollars spent to knock down the flames
October 8, 2020
- -
An article at National Public Radio recommends what we should be
focusing on when discussing the effects of wildfires instead of simply
the number of acres burned.

That general topic can cover not only the dollars spent while knocking
down the flames, but the actual cost of damage to infrastructure,
community water sources, flooding, mud slides, health effects of smoke
on populations, repairing the damage done in the burned areas,
rebuilding structures, mental health of residents, and the economic
effects of evacuations and reduced tourism.

Here is an excerpt from the NPR article:

    Often, the human cost of wildfires has little to do with their size.
    California's three most destructive wildfires aren't among the
    state's largest. The 1991 Tunnel fire in the Oakland hills was
    relatively tiny at 1,600 acres, but destroyed 2,900 structures and
    killed 25 people. Even the Camp Fire, which burned more than 18,000
    structures in Paradise, California, isn't even in the top 20, ranked
    by acreage.

    "I think we should concentrate more on the human losses," says
    Ernesto Alvarado, professor of wildland fire at the University of
    Washington. "Wildfires in populated areas, it doesn't matter what
    size those are."

    Public authorities could also report on a broader human impact: the
    number of people experiencing harmful air due to smoke. While
    detailed maps are available with smoke concentrations, showing the
    air quality index, there are few measures of the scale of that
    public health impact. Poor air quality due to smoke is linked to a
    rise in emergency room visits due to asthma, stroke and heart attacks.

- -
A conference in Glenwood Springs, Colorado on Wednesday and Thursday of
this week explored a topic that does not make the news very often. It
was titled The True Cost of Wildfire.

Usually the costs we hear associated with wildfires are what
firefighters run up during the suppression phase. The National Incident
Management Situation Report provides those daily for most ongoing large
fires.

But other costs may be many times that of just suppression, and can
include structures burned, crops and pastures ruined, economic losses
from decreased tourism, medical treatment for the effects of smoke,
salaries of law enforcement and highway maintenance personnel,
counseling for post-traumatic stress disorder, costs incurred by
evacuees, infrastructure shutdowns, rehab of denuded slopes, flood and
debris flow prevention, and repairing damage to reservoirs filled with silt.

And of course we can't put a monetary value on the lives that are lost
in wildfires. In Colorado alone, fires since 2000 have killed 8
residents and 12 firefighters.

The total cost of a wildfire can be mitigated by fire-adaptive
communities, hazard fuel mitigation, fire prevention campaigns, and
prompt and aggressive initial attack of new fires with overwhelming
force by ground and air resources. Investments in these areas can save
large sums of money. And, it can save lives, something we don't hear
about very often when it comes to wildfire prevention and mitigation; or
spending money on adequate fire suppression resources.
- -
The chart below from EcoWest.org shows that federal spending per
wildfire has exceeded $100,000 on an annual basis several times since
2002. Since 2008 the cost per acre has varied between $500 and $1,000.
These numbers do not include most of the other associated costs we
listed above. (click on the chart to see a larger version)
https://wildfiretoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Cost-per-wildfire-acre.jpg

https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/10/08/the-true-cost-of-wildfire-2/

[video talk]
*Earth Energy Imbalance - EEI: How HEAT Impacts Ocean, Land, Cryosphere,
and Atmosphere: Part 2 of 2*
Oct 9, 2020
Paul Beckwith
Human-induced atmospheric composition changes cause a radiative
imbalance at the top of the atmosphere driving global warming. The Earth
Energy Imbalance (EEI) is the most critical number
defining the prospects for continued and accelerating global warming and
climate change. Understanding the heat gain of the Earth system -
particularly how much and where the heat is distributed - is fundamental
to understanding consequences like warming oceans, atmosphere and land;
rising surface temperatures; rising sea levels; and loss of grounded and
floating ice, which are all fundamental concerns for society. I chat
about a new peer-reviewed study, part of Global Climate Observing System
(GCOS) efforts to update Earth's heat budget and give updated numbers on
ocean warming and heat gain in the atmosphere, cryosphere and land. The
long-term Earth system heat gain over the period 1971-2018 comprises a
total heat gain of 358 ± 37 ZJ (Z - Zeta is 10**21) equivalent to a
global heating rate of 0.47 ± 0.1 W/m2. Heat distribution has the global
ocean with 89%, broken down into 52% in the upper 700m ocean depths, 28%
for the 700-2000m depths and 9% for below 2000m depths. Heat gain over
land amounts to 6%, 4% is available for the melting of grounded and
floating ice, and only 1% is available for atmospheric warming. EEI is
not only continuing, but also increasing: it amounts to 0.87±0.12 W/m2
during 2010-2018. Stabilization of climate, the goal of the universally
agreed upon United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
(UNFCCC) in 1992 and the Paris Climate Agreement in 2015, requires that
EEI be reduced to approximately zero to achieve Earth system
quasi-equilibrium. The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere needs to be
reduced from about 410 ppm to 353 ppm to increase the amount of heat
radiation to space by 0.87 W/m2, bringing Earth back towards overall
energy balance. This simple number, EEI, is the most fundamental metric
that the scientific community and public must be aware of as the measure
of how well the world is doing in the task of bringing climate change
under control, and we call for an implementation of the EEI into the
global stocktake based on the best available science. Continued
quantification and reduced uncertainties in the Earth heat inventory can
be best achieved through the maintenance of the current global climate
observing system, its extension into areas of gaps in the sampling, and
the establishment of an international framework for concerted
multidisciplinary research of the Earth heat inventory as presented in
the study.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHRAx8grYfM

[audio BBC Sounds]
*What Planet Are We On?...with Liz Bonnin*
Ep 1. David Attenborough - 'We Have To Believe It's Possible'
Available for over a year
The celebrated broadcaster, Sir David Attenborough, shares his thoughts
about the impact of the pandemic on tackling climate change. He says he
is frustrated by the delay of government action to protect the natural
world and tells us the excesses of capitalism should be "curbed" to save
nature.
Plus, Liz Bonnin, Matt McGrath and Victoria Gill reflect on where we are
at now and what lies ahead
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08tmn3g?

[econ switch]
*Global energy demand to continue growth with shift to renewable energy: BP*
The 'Rapid' scenario assumes policies resulting in a sharp increase in
carbon prices while the 'Net Zero' reinforces 'Rapid' with major shifts
in societal behaviour. The third scenario is 'Business-as-Usual'
ETEnergyWorld September 15, 2020
- -
The report titled 'BP Energy Outlook 2020' is based on three scenarios,
which are alternative assumptions about policies and societal
‎preferences and are designed to help explore the range of outcomes
possible over the next 30 ‎years.

The 'Rapid' scenario assumes policies resulting in a sharp increase in
carbon prices while the 'Net Zero' reinforces 'Rapid' with major shifts
in societal behaviour. The third scenario is 'Business-as-Usual'...
- -
"The share of primary energy from renewables grows from around 5 per
cent in 2018 to 60 per cent by 2050 in 'Net Zero', 45 per cent in
'Rapid' and 20 per cent in 'Business-as-Usual'. Wind and solar power
dominate this growth, underpinned by continuing falls in development
costs, lower in 2050 by around 30 per cent and 65 per cent for wind and
solar, respectively, in 'Rapid' and by 35 per cent and 70 per cent in
'Net Zero'," BP said.

The growth would require a significant acceleration in the build out of
renewable capacity. It said that in 'Rapid' and 'Net Zero', the average
annual increase in wind and solar capacity over the first half of the
Outlook was about 350 gigawatt (GW) and 550 (GW), respectively, compared
to the annual average of about 60 GW since 2000.
https://energy.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/renewable/global-energy-demand-to-continue-growth-with-shift-to-renewable-energy-bp/78117367

[Digging back into the internet news archive and debate transcripts]
*On this day in the history of global warming - October11, 2000 Bush v.
Gore Debate*
In the second Presidential debate between Vice President Al Gore and
Texas Governor George W. Bush, Gore says the US needs to take the lead
in confronting the climate crisis and embracing clean energy. Bush
claims that his environmental record as governor of Texas is not as bad
as has been alleged; Bush also attacks the concept of a carbon tax and
endorses "clean coal" and natural gas as energy solutions. Gore denies
that he supports a carbon tax, but endorses clean-energy tax incentives.
Bush tries to suggest that there's still a dispute in the scientific
community about the causes and severity of climate change, and denounces
the Kyoto Protocol. Gore defends the scientific consensus on climate,
and points out that we need to do right by future generations; in
response, Bush again suggests that there isn't a real consensus.

    MODERATOR: New question, new subject. Vice President Gore, on the
    environment. In your 1992 book you said, quote, "We must make the
    rescue of our environment the central organizing principle for
    civilization and there must be a wrenching transformation to save
    the planet." Do you still feel that way?

    GORE: I do. I think that in this 21st century we will soon see the
    consequences of what's called global warming. There was a study just
    a few weeks ago suggesting that in summertime the north polar ice
    cap will be completely gone in 50 years. Already many people see the
    strange weather conditions that the old timers say they've never
    seen before in their lifetimes. And what's happening is the level of
    pollution is increasing significantly. Now, here is the good news,
    Jim. If we take the leadership role and build the new technologies,
    like the new kinds of cars and trucks that Detroit is itching to
    build, then we can create millions of good new jobs by being first
    into the market with these new kinds of cars and trucks and other
    kinds of technologies. You know the Japanese are breathing down our
    necks on this. They're moving very rapidly because they know that it
    is a fast-growing world market. Some of these other countries,
    particularly in the developing world, their pollution is much worse
    than anywhere else and their people want higher standards of living.
    And so they're looking for ways to satisfy their desire for a better
    life and still reduce pollution at the same time. I think that
    holding onto the old ways and the old argument that the environment
    and the economy are in conflict is really outdated. We have to be
    bold. We have to provide leadership. Now it's true that we disagree
    on this. The governor said that he doesn't think this problem is
    necessarily caused by people. He's for letting the oil companies
    into the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Houston has just become
    the smoggiest city in the country. And Texas is number one in
    industrial pollution. We have a very different outlook. And I'll
    tell you this, I will fight for a clean environment in ways that
    strengthen our economy.

    MODERATOR: Governor?

    BUSH: Well, let me start with Texas. We are a big industrial state.
    We reduced our industrial waste by 11%. We cleaned up more brown
    fields than any other administration in my state's history, 450 of
    them. Our water is cleaner now.

    MODERATOR: Explain what a brown field is to those who don't follow this.

    BUSH: A brown field is an abandoned industrial site that just sits
    idle in some of our urban centers. And people are willing to invest
    capital in the brown fields don't want to do so for fear of lawsuit.
    I think we ought to have federal liability protection, depending
    upon whether or not standards have been met. The book you mentioned
    that Vice President Gore wrote, he also called for taxing -- big
    energy taxes in order to clean up the environment. And now that the
    energy prices are high, I guess he's not advocating those big energy
    taxes right now. I believe we ought to fully fund the Land and Water
    Conservation Fund to -- with half the money going to states so
    states can make the right decisions for environmental quality. I
    think we need to have clean coal technologies. I propose $2 billion
    worth. By the way, I just found out the other day an interesting
    fact, that there is a national petroleum reserve right next to -- in
    Prudhoe Bay that your administration opened up for exploration in
    that pristine area. And it was a smart move because there's gas
    reserves up there. We need gas pipelines to bring the gas down. Gas
    is a clean fuel that we can burn to -- we need to make sure that if
    we decontrol our plants that there's mandatory -- that the plants
    must conform to clean air standards, the grandfathered plants,
    that's what we did in Texas. No excuses. You must conform. In other
    words, there are practical things we can do. But it starts with
    working in a collaborative effort with states and local folks. If
    you own the land, every day is Earth Day. People care a lot about
    their land and care about their environment. Not all wisdom is in
    Washington, D.C. on this issue.

    MODERATOR: Where do you see the basic difference in very simple
    terms in two or three sentences between you and the governor on the
    environment? If a voter wants to make a choice, what is it?

    GORE: I'm really strongly committed to clean water and clean air,
    and cleaning up the new kinds of challenges like global warming. He
    is right that I'm not in favor of energy taxes. I am in favor of tax
    cuts to encourage and give incentives for the quicker development of
    these new kinds of technologies. And let me say again, Detroit is
    rearing to go on that. We differ on the Arctic National Wildlife
    Refuge, as I have said. We differ on whether or not pollution
    controls ought to be voluntary. I don't think you can -- I don't
    think you can get results that way. We differ on the kinds of
    appointments that we would make.

    MODERATOR: Would you say it's a fundamental difference?

    GORE: I think it's a fundamental difference. Let me give you an example.

    MODERATOR: Hold on one second.

    GORE: Okay, sure.

    MODERATOR: We've talked about supply. I just want to know for
    somebody -- we're getting close to the end of our time here. If
    somebody wanted to vote on the environment, how would you draw the
    differences, Governor?

    BUSH: Well, I don't believe in command and control out of
    Washington, D.C. I believe Washington ought to set standards, but
    again I think we ought to be collaborative at the local levels and I
    think we ought to work with people at the local levels. And by the
    way, I just want to make sure -- I can't let him just say something
    and not correct it. The electric decontrol bill that I fought for
    and signed in Texas has mandatory emission standards, Mr. Vice
    President. That's what we ought to do at the federal level when it
    comes to grandfathered plants for utilities. I think there's a
    difference. I think, for example, take -- when they took 40 million
    acres of land out of circulation without consulting local officials,
    I thought that was --

    MODERATOR: That was out in the west?

    BUSH: Out in the west, yeah. And so -- on the logging issue. That's
    not the way I would have done it. Perhaps some of that land needs to
    be set aside. But I certainly would have consulted with governors
    and elected officials before I would have acted unilaterally.

    MODERATOR: Would you believe the federal government still has some
    new rules and new regulations and new laws to pass in the
    environmental area or do you think --

    BUSH: Sure, absolutely, so long as they're based upon science and
    they're reasonable. So long as people have input.

    MODERATOR: What about global warming?

    BUSH: I think it's an issue that we need to take very seriously. But
    I don't think we know the solution to global warming yet. And I
    don't think we've got all the facts before we make decisions. I tell
    you one thing I'm not going to do is I'm not going to let the United
    States carry the burden for cleaning up the world's air. Like Kyoto
    Treaty would have done. China and India were exempted from that
    treaty. I think we need to be more even-handed, as evidently 99
    senators -- I think it was 99 senators supported that position.

    MODERATOR: Global warming, the Senate did turn it down. I think --

    BUSH: 99 to nothing.

    GORE: Well, that vote wasn't exactly -- a lot of the supporters of
    the Kyoto Treaty actually ended up voting for that because the way
    it was worded. But there's no doubt there's a lot of opposition to
    it in the Senate. I'm not for command and control techniques either.
    I'm for working with the groups, not just with industry but also
    with the citizen groups and local communities to control sprawl in
    ways that the local communities themselves come up with. But I
    disagree that we don't know the cause of global warming. I think
    that we do. It's pollution, carbon dioxide, and other chemicals that
    are even more potent, but in smaller quantities, that cause this.
    Look, the world's temperature is going up, weather patterns are
    changing, storms are getting more violent and unpredictable. What
    are we going to tell our children? I'm a grandfather now. I want to
    be able to tell my grandson when I'm in my later years that I didn't
    turn away from the evidence that showed that we were doing some
    serious harm. In my faith tradition, it is -- it's written in the
    book of Matthew, "Where your heart is, there is your treasure also."
    And I believe that -- that we ought to recognize the value to our
    children and grandchildren of taking steps that preserve the
    environment in a way that's good for them.

    BUSH: Yeah, I agree. I just -- I think there has been -- some of the
    scientists, I believe, Mr. Vice President, haven't they been
    changing their opinion a little bit on global warming? A profound
    scientist recently made a different --

    MODERATOR: Both of you have now violated -- excuse me. Both of you
    have now violated your own rules. Hold that thought.

    GORE: I've been trying so hard not to.

    MODERATOR: I know, I know. But under your alls rules you are not
    allowed to ask each other a question. I let you do it a moment ago.

    BUSH: Twice.

    MODERATOR: Now you just -- twice, sorry. (LAUGHTER)

    GORE: That's an interruption, by the way.

    MODERATOR: That's an interruption, okay. But anyhow, you just did it
    so now --

    BUSH: I'm sorry. I apologize, Mr. Vice President.

    MODERATOR: You aren't allowed to do that either, see? (LAUGHTER) I'm
    sorry, go ahead and finish your thought. People care about these
    things I've found out.

    BUSH: Of course they care about them. Oh, you mean the rules.

    MODERATOR: Yeah, right, exactly right. Go ahead.

    BUSH: What the heck. I -- of course there's a lot -- look, global
    warming needs to be taken very seriously, and I take it seriously.
    But science, there's a lot -- there's differing opinions. And before
    we react, I think it's best to have the full accounting, full
    understanding of what's taking place. And I think to answer your
    question, I think both of us care a lot about the environment. We
    may have different approaches. We may have different approaches in
    terms of how we deal with local folks. I just cited an example of
    the administration just unilaterally acting without any input. And I
    remember you gave a very good answer to New Hampshire about the
    White Mountains, about how it was important to keep that
    collaborative effort in place. I feel very strongly the same place.
    It certainly wasn't the attitude that took place out west, however.

transcript -
https://www.debates.org/voter-education/debate-transcripts/october-11-2000-debate-transcript/

https://www.c-span.org/video/?159296-1/presidential-candidates-debate -
(1:15:45     )

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.