[TheClimate.Vote] September 5, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Sep 5 10:30:20 EDT 2020

/*September 5, 2020*/

[brief video]
*Greta Thunberg says new film captures her 'shy, nerdy' personality*
Sep 4, 2020
Guardian News
Greta Thunberg praised the film I Am Greta, presented at the 2020 Venice
film festival, for reflecting her as a 'shy, nerdy person', which she
said 'is the person that I am'.

The Sweedish climate activist called for more action to be taken to
address the climate crisis by adults and politicians when she appeared
by video link at the film festival on Friday 4 September.

In I am Greta, Nathan Grossman documents Thunberg's life as one of the
most famous teenagers in the world after she became the figurehead for a
global climate crisis campaign
https://youtu.be/F6F01xmIg2U
- -
[Guardian on Greta-the-Great]
*Greta Thunberg: don't dump climate crisis on children to fix*
World political leaders must step up on the environment, activist tells
Venice film festival showing of documentary about her
The Swedish activist Greta Thunberg has called for more action to be
taken to address the climate crisis, which she says has slipped
dangerously off the political agenda.

Thunberg appeared by video link at the Venice film festival where the
film, I Am Greta, has been screened. It documents her life as one of the
most famous teenagers in the world after she became the figurehead for a
global climate crisis campaign.

She said: "Yes, we need more science. We need to do more research,
definitely. But what we need above all is to take take action to change
the social landscape, political action, so maybe that's where I can be
most useful."

Thunberg said that the Covid-19 crisis had shown that world leaders were
incapable of dealing with two emergencies at once, and said that climate
change should be treated with urgency. "All other things have had to be
put on hold. We definitely need to realise the urgency of the climate
crisis, and treat it as a crisis, because otherwise we will not be able
to achieve real change," she said.

She went on to criticise world leaders, saying too much responsibility
was being placed on children to raise awareness of the climate crisis.
"We should not be the ones having to do this. It should be up to adults
and people in power in those who have caused this problem in the first
place."
During the making of the film, Thunberg was followed by documentary
film-maker Nathan Grossman, who recorded her everyday life after she
rose to fame for her climate activism. She said at times during the
year-long process she thought Grossman's one-man setup was
"unprofessional" but, ultimately, she was pleased with the way he had
portrayed her as a "shy nerd".
Thunberg added: "I think [Grossman] succeeded in framing me as myself
and not the angry, naive child who sits in the United Nations General
Assembly screaming at world leaders. Because that's not the person I am."

The activist said there had been too much focus on her as an individual,
and she hoped the film could be a "bridge" for people who wanted to know
more about the climate emergency. She hoped the film would help to
"increase momentum" and spread awareness at a time when protesting and
activism have been reduced because of Covid-19 restrictions around the
world.

Thunberg added that it was symbolic to have the film screened in Venice,
a city that suffered severe flooding in 2019 that its mayor blamed on
climate change.

The activist signed off from the press conference to go to school in
Sweden. In August, Thunberg announced she was returning to the classroom
after taking a year off to protest.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/sep/04/greta-thunberg-dont-dump-climate-crisis-on-children-to-fix-venice-film-festival

- -

[video clip]
*I Am Greta (Official) Clip • A Hulu Original Documentary*
Sep 1, 2020
Every movement has a beginning. ⛵️🌎 I AM GRETA, a Hulu Original
Documentary, premieres November 13.
ABOUT I AM GRETA
Highly anticipated Hulu Original Documentary I AM GRETA, which follows
young activist Greta Thunberg, will stream on Hulu on Friday, November
13. In August 2018, Thunberg, a 15-year-old student in Sweden, started a
school strike for the climate as her question for adults was, if you
don't care about my future on earth, why should I care about my future
in school? Within months, her strike evolved into a global movement as
the quiet teenage girl on the autism spectrum becomes a world-famous
activist.  The documentary follows Greta's heroism and passion in
fighting for climate change.
https://youtu.be/ByO1JxQ6e6M

[clip from the New Yorker]
*How Fast Is the Climate Changing?: It's a New World, Each and Every Day*
By Bill McKibben - Sept 3, 2020
- -
*Chevron and Ecuador is a huge, sprawling story--can you explain the
saga enough to make clear why it's so interesting?*

The first complaint was filed to Texaco back in 1993, there have been so
many twists and turns and legal proceedings since then, and it's still
going on. [Chevron bought Texaco in 2001 and therefore assumed
responsibility.] But it all sort of boils down to accountability; oil
companies dumped wastewater and crude in the Amazon, it contaminated the
water and the land, and it ought to be cleaned up. There's been a lot of
legal maneuvering in this case, and Chevron has tried to make it about
the lawyers--and about one particular lawyer--but they were found liable
for this contamination in 2011, and since then they have sued the
lawyers, blamed the Ecuadorian oil company, sued the Ecuadorian
government in international arbitration, and . . . the pollution is
still there.
*
**Why does it matter so much?*

First, Chevron's strategy seems engineered to intimidate any activists
that might try to hold them accountable. Then, it's a very good example
of how oil companies have continued colonialism long past the point when
countries stopped (or at least said they would). Related, it's a good
example of how the international arbitration system has become a tool
that enables multinational companies to circumvent the sovereign
constitutions of (usually developing) countries. And, finally, I think
it illustrates that these are companies that do not and will not operate
in good faith; the idea that eventually they're going to come to the
table and make good decisions about energy transition or emissions is
just implausible, and it's probably time to stop expecting them to.

*You've done a lot of work on the public-relations industry and the oil
industry--what story are the fossil-fuel companies trying to tell about
themselves at this point?*

There are these two levers they pull, depending on what's happening at
any given time. For a long while it was the science-denial lever, but
lately they've gone back to their first and favorite story: the idea of
oil as central to the American identity and the American economy.
They're on it, they will solve this problem, and if you're a
red-blooded, God-fearing American you are on their side. They are also
cynically co-opting the Black Lives Matter movement to push the message
that energy transition will be racist (yet another good reason for the
environmental movement to sort itself out on that front). There's an
interesting difference between the American companies and the European
companies like BP and Shell, which seem to feel more required to commit
to climate goals, because they're operating in countries that have
signed on to the Paris Climate Accord. But their commitments should be
questioned at every turn...
https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-a-warming-planet/how-fast-is-the-climate-changing-its-a-new-world-each-and-every-day

[video statement]
*BREAKING NEWS - FREE THE TRUTH - Stories From The Rebellion |
Extinction Rebellion UK*
Sep 5, 2020
Extinction Rebellion
5 Billionaires control over 70% of the British Media. Last night
Extinction Rebellion groups blockaded the printing presses of The Sun,
The Times, The Sun on Sunday, The Sunday Times, The Telegraph, The
Sunday Telegraph, as well as the The Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday and The
London Evening Standard.

These people and their corporations have purposefully failed to
accurately report on the climate & ecological emergency.

Their consistent manipulatIon of the truth to suit their own personal
and political agendas must be stopped.

We're not moving forward at the speed we need to turn the climate and
ecological emergency around. We're trapped somewhere between acceptance
and the reality of just how bad the situation is.

The right wing media is a barrier to the truth, failing to reflect the
scale and urgency of the crisis and hold governments to account.
Coverage in many of the newspapers printed here is polluting national
debate on climate change, immigration policy, the rights and treatment
of minority groups, and on dozens of other issues. They distract us with
hate to maintain their own power and wealth, profiting from our
division. We can't move forward until this barrier falls.

The truth is being held hostage and so are we. We need to Free the Truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQaTJKupfY

[Military information]
*New Research Shows Importance of Military Personnel Communicating the
Risks of Climate Change*
By Dr. Marc Kodack
While senior military leaders, due to their apolitical reputation, can
influence skeptical audiences about climate change risks to national
security, enlisted personnel can be even more persuasive when they
deliver personal messages, according to new research in the
peer-reviewed journal Environmental Communication. The experimental
study examined how to construct a climate change communication strategy
using a pro-climate framework, and focused around national security
concerns delivered by enlisted military personnel to groups who are more
prone to skepticism regarding the scientific consensus on climate
change.The bottom line up front from the study is simple: active duty
U.S. military personnel are increasingly concerned about climate change,
and that evidence-based perspective is influential with conservatives.

For the U.S. military, climate change is a direct threat to national
security and has significant implications for both operations and
installations. In unpublished research conducted by the authors of the
experimental research summarized later in this article, the authors
conducted a survey among "US military service members…[and] found that
nearly two thirds…believe that climate change will cause military
conflict over food and water resources, and more than three-fourths
believe climate change will cause damage to US military bases."

Translating these concerns to skeptical portions of the general public
may be possible when individual military members express how climate
change will directly affect them as individuals and how climate change
will affect broader, U.S. national security interests around the world.
When these individual/institutional concerns are joined to the elevated
levels of trust many Americans have for the U.S. military, a
communication strategy can be crafted to better communicate with members
of the public about climate change, particularly ideological
conservatives. Conservatives are more receptive to climate change risk
messages when they are perceived to be given by a trusted, persuasive
source, such as an enlisted military member.

The experimental survey research enlisted 1,702 adults to participate in
an online survey. The participants varied by age, sex, race, income and
other variables. Each participant read one of four plausible short op-ed
columns, known as treatments, that looked like an op-ed in a newspaper.

The first treatment was attributed to a climate scientist writing for
Scientific American focusing on facts about climate change, e.g., urban
flooding and its environmental effects. It ended by asking readers to
express their concerns. The second treatment, also written by a climate
scientist, presented facts but emphasized how climate change will affect
national security. The third treatment was written for The Military
Times by an enlisted soldier who had served 10 years in the U.S. Army.
It focused on urban flooding and environmental effects (similar to
treatment 1). The fourth treatment was written by a military source but
focused on how climate change will affect national security (similar to
treatment 2). The military source could be someone on active duty or was
a veteran. As a control, a fifth treatment was read by selected
participants. It was similar in length and format to the other
treatments but presented a story about baseball history. After reading a
treatment, each participant was asked "their belief in (and concern
about) anthropogenic climate change, their climate policy attitudes, and
trust in climate scientists and the military." Participants were then
asked how they would characterize themselves ideologically on a
five-point scale with Very Conservative as one endpoint and Very Liberal
as the other endpoint.

The results support the researcher's hypothesis that ideological
conservatives are willing to revise their skepticism about climate
change when a military service member, e.g., an enlisted member,
communicates their concerns about the effects of climate change on
national security. Given that a growing number of enlisted members of
the U.S. military are legitimately concerned about climate change, this
study is good news in terms of connecting the reality of the security
threat, as felt by the military, to messages to the public about those
threats. Not least as without effective public communications, to all
segments of society, risk management and threat reduction on climate
change simply can't be effective.

Dr. Marc Kodack is Senior Fellow at the Center for Climate and Security
and former Sustainability and Water Program Manager in the Office of the
Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army for Energy and Sustainability.
https://climateandsecurity.org/2020/09/new-research-shows-importance-of-military-personnel-communicating-the-risks-of-climate-change/

- -

[source material]
*A Call to Arms for Climate Change? How Military Service Member Concern
About Climate Change Can Inform Effective Climate Communication*
ABSTRACT
Military service members are a highly trusted group – especially among
ideological conservatives. Consequently, we devised an environmental
communication strategy that attributes pro-climate messages to military
service members, aimed at convincing conservative climate skeptics to
express elevated concern. In a large survey experiment, we show that
conservatives are more likely to express concern about climate change
when framed as a national security concern and communicated by members
of the armed services. Supplementary analyses of an original military
service member survey suggest that this approach is externally valid, as
many past and current armed forces express concern about the effects of
climate change. Our study demonstrates the effectiveness of appealing to
trusted sources to communicate climate change risks to skeptical
audiences, and suggests several promising avenues for future
environmental communication research...
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17524032.2020.1799836?journalCode=renc20

*On this day in the history of global warming - September 5, 2017 *
The Washington Post reports:

"The Environmental Protection Agency has taken the unusual step of
putting a political operative in charge of vetting the hundreds of
millions of dollars in grants the EPA distributes annually, assigning
final funding decisions to a former Trump campaign aide with little
environmental policy experience.

"In this role, John Konkus reviews every award the agency gives out,
along with every grant solicitation before it is issued. According to
both career and political employees, Konkus has told staff that he is on
the lookout for 'the double C-word' -- climate change -- and repeatedly
has instructed grant officers to eliminate references to the subject in
solicitations."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/epa-now-requires-political-aides-sign-off-for-agency-awards-grant-applications/2017/09/04/2fd707a0-88fd-11e7-a94f-3139abce39f5_story.html?utm_term=.8beb69e98350

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.